Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Snapping a Shaft

Brian A

I have a ping G30 SF tec driver, I have snapped the shaft just above the adapter 3 times. I am not banging the driver in anger or anything. It always just snaps on impact. Any one have any ideas why or a shaft I can buy that will stop this>

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I have seen this when someone uses too much epoxy during assembly and the epoxy runs up beyond the height of the adapter on the shaft.  This will create a shear point and the shaft will snap there.

Another thought, I've seen this happen when people don't put the head cover on when the club is in the bag.  The shaft takes a beating from iron heads and micro fractures develop until the snap happens.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Not supposed to hit the ball off the hosel.

I would doubt swing speed or manufacturing defect. I agree with the prior poster, sounds like someone is doing a bad assembly job. Are these from the OEM or are you getting someone in particular to build shafts for you?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Could also be over abrading the tip?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The first 2 shafts were directly from Ping, the one that came with the club and then warranty replacement. The third was put on at golf galaxy.  The Ping ones were the blue standard shaft, first one was Stiff second one they bumped me up to X. 

I always put the head cover on because I'm OCD about cosmetic stuff and cant really say its happening due to hosel shots.  Hit it pretty consistent on the face. 

In the replacement what should I look for or where should I have it done? I've been debating on just buying a new driver.

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

The first 2 shafts were directly from Ping, the one that came with the club and then warranty replacement. The third was put on at golf galaxy.  The Ping ones were the blue standard shaft, first one was Stiff second one they bumped me up to X. 
I always put the head cover on because I'm OCD about cosmetic stuff and cant really say its happening due to hosel shots.  Hit it pretty consistent on the face. 
In the replacement what should I look for or where should I have it done? I've been debating on just buying a new driver.

Honestly never heard of something like this happening so often. Especially on multiple shafts from multiple sources.

BTW, was kidding about the hosel shots

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Honestly never heard of something like this happening so often. Especially on multiple shafts from multiple sources.

BTW, was kidding about the hosel shots

Haha no worries on the hosel shots! I just wanted to make sure everyone had the information.  It really is the oddest thing. the last one was a pure hit shot (or so it felt) and the head went flying

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

The head is cursed!  🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

The head is cursed! 

Think if I tell the wife this she’ll be cool with me buying a new driver?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Absolutely, just tell her the “experts” at MGS said it was an omen for a new driver

CobraConnectChallenge3

Shaft breakage just above the tip is typically a result of hitting near the hosel or hitting the ground just before impact.

A second possible cause is when bring the club around it hits your back. This typically results in a break towards the middle but can be closer to the head.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

From my experience, shaft breakage (specifically at the tip section above the ferrule) is the result of improper installation - period.

Shafts installed into club heads are designed to cope with impacts in whatever form they come,  so to blame breakage squarely on to poor impact is absolutely bogus.

If the tip section has been improperly prepared and installed however, then you are basically waiting for a failure to happen.

The tip section for one has to be prepped correctly. Any coarse abrasion to the tip can lead to weakness in the tip fibres and cause failure. Secondly, any lateral stress to the tip can also be the cause of tip failure - this is why we never install a graphite directly into an adapter of club head without first ensuring that the entry is either chamfered to mitigate side stress, or a collared ferrule is used to alleviate the same tip to entry stress.

If you have a combination of these factors, then you have a recipe for disaster. I don't want to call out Ping themselves, but their mass produced orders are likely to be the cause of some (but not all) failures and not wishing to call out Golf Galaxy either, but their level of post assembly scrutiny simply does not match those of any professional club builder whatsoever. 

I guess you can probably attribute these failures to either one of these poor assembly techniques, but I guess these are also symptomatic to the general level of quality inspection that they get these days too - which is close to zero. I'm quite sure that both Ping and GG offer a full money back guarantee on the products sold - but the emphasis always seems to be on the sale rather than the the product these days, hence the increasing number of failures which are regrettably down to mass produced non-skilled labour techniques. 

Ping was awesome the first time, they replaced it and changed stiffness. The second time was like 14 months after I purchased the driver so they said it wasnt covered anymore.  GG just said sorry, not their fault and to buy a new shaft. 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 1 year later...

I bought a new set of Callaway Apex irons with the stiff Elevate shafts but I kept snapping the shafts about 5” below the grip. Three broke in one summer; two 8 irons and a 7 iron. This was done on the golf course (not a mat) and with pure strikes, not fat. My driver speed is about 106-109 mph and I’m a 9.5 index. I switched to Dynamic Gold shafts and no more problems. Has anyone else experienced this?

• 6 months later...
On 3/14/2019 at 11:21 AM, Brian A said:

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, because YOU KNOW what the answer is when you ask,,,,,,

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS