Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Titleist 720 Iron Range Speculation

DPattGolf

Not sure if anyone else has heard this yet or not, but I have been told that the new 720 irons (or whatever Titleist decides to call them) is set to release this August (2019). If so, I would totally expect to start seeing the announcements right before either the Masters or the recently moved PGA Championship. Anyone else have more info??

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

No more info. But Titleist usually uses a mid summer event to seed the new releases. So I definitely doubt the Masters and even the PGA.  More likely US Open or perhaps Travelers.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

It will be interesting if they stay true to their typical product line... Or if they step in a different direction. But I would think they play it safe

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

No more info. But Titleist usually uses a mid summer event to seed the new releases. So I definitely doubt the Masters and even the PGA.  More likely US Open or perhaps Travelers.   

With no tiger event which has been the usual event I think they use the us open again like last year for the ts line

im guessing we see new drivers this year to compliment the ts2/3 (will bring a bunch of hate from those who hate titleist) 

also think we see something new in the ap line 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The only thing Titleist is really missing from their line up is a game improvement or super game improvement set of irons but with their success and notoriety in the world of quality irons I don’t think that’s something they will or should try to add.

In my opinion the players in this category of golf won’t benefit from the name on a club so whether it is Titleist or Top Flight I’m not sure it really matters.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 hour ago, jturner7499 said:

The only thing Titleist is really missing from their line up is a game improvement or super game improvement set of irons but with their success and notoriety in the world of quality irons I don’t think that’s something they will or should try to add.

In my opinion the players in this category of golf won’t benefit from the name on a club so whether it is Titleist or Top Flight I’m not sure it really matters.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ap1s are definitely in the game improvement category 

I'll be surprised if we really see much change in the lineup. Titleist has a clear and consistent formula for their clubs and it's worked much better for the irons than it did for the drivers which explains the decision for TS. If anything, I think they might try to spice up the AP1 a little to fall in line with their new "speed"/distance campaign. I also think it's possible the hybrids might carry the TS moniker to better match the drivers and fairways even though hybrids are an iron replacement club.

There really isn't much missing from the Titleist lineup, but there are a lot of misconceptions about their product so the biggest change we're likely to see is in their marketing. Every model in their current iron lineup - except for the MB - features tungsten and a thinned out face to produce better ball speeds. Yes, even the CB (2-7 iron).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I bet we see a:

AP1 720

AP2 720

AP3 720

TMB 720

CB 720

MB 720

... been pretty much like that for ever now. Unless they jump on the “speed wagon” and add a random set in or rename the TMB’s.

Same stuff with a facelift I’d imagine.

I wish they’d make the CB’s and MB’s without the “Forged” and “CB/MB” just say Titleist. Everyone knows what they are.

5 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I'll be surprised if we really see much change in the lineup. Titleist has a clear and consistent formula for their clubs and it's worked much better for the irons than it did for the drivers which explains the decision for TS. If anything, I think they might try to spice up the AP1 a little to fall in line with their new "speed"/distance campaign. I also think it's possible the hybrids might carry the TS moniker to better match the drivers and fairways even though hybrids are an iron replacement club.

There really isn't much missing from the Titleist lineup, but there are a lot of misconceptions about their product so the biggest change we're likely to see is in their marketing. Every model in their current iron lineup - except for the MB - features tungsten and a thinned out face to produce better ball speeds. Yes, even the CB (2-7 iron).

I doubt the hybrid carry the ts name unless they decide to change their approach from the hybrids being about iron replacements and not distance clubs. The reason they changed from releasing hybrids with drivers and woods to releasing with the irons is to change the mindset that hybrids go better with irons since they are used to replace an iron.

i think titleist is going to surprise people this coming release. Some of the brand enthusiasts will like it and some won’t. Those who aren’t a fan of the brand will knock it.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

I doubt the hybrid carry the ts name unless they decide to change their approach from the hybrids being about iron replacements and not distance clubs. The reason they changed from releasing hybrids with drivers and woods to releasing with the irons is to change the mindset that hybrids go better with irons since they are used to replace an iron.

i think titleist is going to surprise people this coming release. Some of the brand enthusiasts will like it and some won’t. Those who aren’t a fan of the brand will knock it.

I understand why they changed their approach to hybrids, but hybrids still stand apart from the irons in name - 818 for the hybrids vs. 718 for the irons. Throw in the fact, that Titleist has now thrown their hat into the distance game, and I think we may see a slight change in the way the hybrids are advertised - while still keeping them on the iron release cycle. After all, hybrids typically replace long irons because they offer forgiveness AND distance.

9 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I understand why they changed their approach to hybrids, but hybrids still stand apart from the irons in name - 818 for the hybrids vs. 718 for the irons. Throw in the fact, that Titleist has now thrown their hat into the distance game, and I think we may see a slight change in the way the hybrids are advertised - while still keeping them on the iron release cycle. After all, hybrids typically replace long irons because they offer forgiveness AND distance.

It makes sense that the hybrids would have a different first number than irons. They areca separate category just like they are different from the driver/woods. They wanted that separation from the woods numbering they used to use.

while titleist “jumped into the distance” game with the TS line it’s because they felt they needed an of the shelf driver that could compete in the store launch monitors. But that doesn’t mean they are going to switch to the distance approach with hybrids seeing they approach them as iron replacements do going TS in the naming contradicts the approach. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they went back to the 9xx system in the next release now that they’ve told the speed story with ts.

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It makes sense that the hybrids would have a different first number than irons. They areca separate category just like they are different from the driver/woods. They wanted that separation from the woods numbering they used to use.

while titleist “jumped into the distance” game with the TS line it’s because they felt they needed an of the shelf driver that could compete in the store launch monitors. But that doesn’t mean they are going to switch to the distance approach with hybrids seeing they approach them as iron replacements do going TS in the naming contradicts the approach. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they went back to the 9xx system in the next release now that they’ve told the speed story with ts.

Fair enough. I think at the end of the day Titleist may surprise us all regardless. Despite what their "tour count" would have us believe, it's clear they've lost some ground to competitors and are trying to make that up. While I don't think that it will create a drastic change in how they engineer and develop products, I do think it will (and has) change the way they market their products - perhaps not wholesale change, but enough to notice.

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Fair enough. I think at the end of the day Titleist may surprise us all regardless. Despite what their "tour count" would have us believe, it's clear they've lost some ground to competitors and are trying to make that up. While I don't think that it will create a drastic change in how they engineer and develop products, I do think it will (and has) change the way they market their products - perhaps not wholesale change, but enough to notice.

I don’t think they necessarily lost ground but rather (especially in driver category) understand the consumer perception and results that off the shelf their previous models lacked speed compared to Callaway and TM. While they still push the get fit aspect and titleist Thursday’s they understand a lot of amateurs are going into box stores and hitting a few drivers in stock setup and they need to impress them with numbers on the monitor.

titleist has already been changing slowly with the addition of ap3 (I think this is where we will see some changes in the next release) and also the yellow in pro v1/x as well as the avx release last year both in color and as another tour level ball offering.

i do think they will stay true to their overall approach while as you said change their marketing 

16 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t think they necessarily lost ground but rather (especially in driver category) understand the consumer perception and results that off the shelf their previous models lacked speed compared to Callaway and TM. While they still push the get fit aspect and titleist Thursday’s they understand a lot of amateurs are going into box stores and hitting a few drivers in stock setup and they need to impress them with numbers on the monitor.

titleist has already been changing slowly with the addition of ap3 (I think this is where we will see some changes in the next release) and also the yellow in pro v1/x as well as the avx release last year both in color and as another tour level ball offering.

i do think they will stay true to their overall approach while as you said change their marketing 

People have been steering away from Titleist for years now due to perceptions about the brand, the type of golfer their clubs are designed for, and high priced golf balls. Their drivers have been noted as "spinny" and short by comparison for a long time by many golfers and a lot of people are reluctant to try their irons out of some weird belief that they aren't "good enough" because Titleist is largely seen as a "better players" brand. All the changes they've been making of late are largely due to market reactions. They're trying to regain what's been lost. It doesn't mean they don't lead one or more categories in market share (golf balls for instance), but they have seen reductions (lost ground) - however small - due to competitor advances.

None of this is in any way a knock on Titleist. I love their products and have played a number of their golf clubs and balls and will continue to do so in the future, but facts are facts.

• 2 months later...

Looks like Titleist will be seeding their new hybrids and utility irons at the Memorial. As predicted, hybrids will carry the TS moniker to maintain consistency (in name only) with the drivers and fairway woods. What I didn't see coming was a departure in how the utility irons are marketed. There's still time for them to change if desired, but currently the utility irons have been placed in their own category on the Titleist website and no information has been given yet as to whether or not they will carry the 700 series naming scheme utilized by current model irons.

I'm curious to see if the separation of the utility irons means we will see the T-MB go away. I've yet to see or hear of many golfers bagging a full set of T-MB. However, Titleist appears to be offering two choices of utility iron (probably a mid or high trajectory and a low trajectory model - similar to Taylormade's GAPR) so it's possible that they are engineered to perform quite differently from T-MB.

I'll certainly be interested to see how this all plays out.

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

Looks like Titleist will be seeding their new hybrids and utility irons at the Memorial. As predicted, hybrids will carry the TS moniker to maintain consistency (in name only) with the drivers and fairway woods. What I didn't see coming was a departure in how the utility irons are marketed. There's still time for them to change if desired, but currently the utility irons have been placed in their own category on the Titleist website and no information has been given yet as to whether or not they will carry the 700 series naming scheme utilized by current model irons.

I'm curious to see if the separation of the utility irons means we will see the T-MB go away. I've yet to see or hear of many golfers bagging a full set of T-MB. However, Titleist appears to be offering two choices of utility iron (probably a mid or high trajectory and a low trajectory model - similar to Taylormade's GAPR) so it's possible that they are engineered to perform quite differently from T-MB.

I'll certainly be interested to see how this all plays out.

There are some design characteristics of the ts woods carried over to the hybrids with the removal of the speed channel and assumption is they are using the same lightweight materials and fast face.

the utility/driving iron is using a 500’series (u500 and 510).  They are offering 1,2,3 in the 510 an 2,3,4 in the 500.

with the tmb being a full iron lineup and not a real utility iron I can see them keeping that line in the next release. 

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There are some design characteristics of the ts woods carried over to the hybrids with the removal of the speed channel and assumption is they are using the same lightweight materials and fast face.

the utility/driving iron is using a 500’series (u500 and 510).  They are offering 1,2,3 in the 510 an 2,3,4 in the 500.

with the tmb being a full iron lineup and not a real utility iron I can see them keeping that line in the next release. 

Nothing that I've seen released indicates they've done much to change the hybrids aside from looks and name with the exception that now only one model features adjustable CG instead of both models like 818. It's likely the hybrids maintain a similar construction to previous models as Titleist hybrids have rarely (if ever) been marketed as a distance club. 

The T-MB was essentially birthed as a utility iron and then offered later as a complete set. Now that AP3 exists, there isn't much need for T-MB except to compete directly with other hollow-body designed sets.

Personally, the Titleist lineup is starting to look a bit busy (for them) and I don't see many people playing T-MB as anything other than a driving iron. Seems like an easy decision to drop the model from their lineup and push AP3 further.

The only other logical reason to keep T-MB is because investors want Titleist to maintain a more diverse portfolio of products.

32 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Nothing that I've seen released indicates they've done much to change the hybrids aside from looks and name with the exception that now only one model features adjustable CG instead of both models like 818. It's likely the hybrids maintain a similar construction to previous models as Titleist hybrids have rarely (if ever) been marketed as a distance club. 

The T-MB was essentially birthed as a utility iron and then offered later as a complete set. Now that AP3 exists, there isn't much need for T-MB except to compete directly with other hollow-body designed sets.

Personally, the Titleist lineup is starting to look a bit busy (for them) and I don't see many people playing T-MB as anything other than a driving iron. Seems like an easy decision to drop the model from their lineup and push AP3 further.

The only other logical reason to keep T-MB is because investors want Titleist to maintain a more diverse portfolio of products.

I'm with you on this! Titleist used to have one of the cleanest lineups, and yes the last couple years it has gotten a little more packed, and slightly more overlapped 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

Prior to the 816 release the titleist hybrids were considered distance clubs and not iron replacements which they changed with the 816 lineup because they felt it better to make them play more like an iron replacement than a distance club.  If you look at the 818 you will see they have the active recoil channel labeled on the bottom. Titleist did away with that in the ya woods and the pics of the ts hybrids don’t have that.

while the tmb was somewhat released as a utility iron it was more designed as a MOTO club and from the 5i down and was given the option to purchase a full somewhat limited high end set while not being fully limited edition like the concept 16 irons and woods. 2018 was designed as a full set.

Guess they can’t in some people’s eyes no matter what they do. First they get labeled as being a better players club so they release the 710 ap1 and 2 along with the cb and mb to give more options. Then the offer the 718 ap3 to meet demand for the looks of the ap2 with more forgiveness and without the chunkiness of the ap1. Now they go back to a utility iron to offer more choices for those who want a long iron and not a hybrid but don’t want to use a club from the ap1 or 3 set and are said to look to busy.  

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Prior to the 816 release the titleist hybrids were considered distance clubs and not iron replacements which they changed with the 816 lineup because they felt it better to make them play more like an iron replacement than a distance club.  If you look at the 818 you will see they have the active recoil channel labeled on the bottom. Titleist did away with that in the ya woods and the pics of the ts hybrids don’t have that.

while the tmb was somewhat released as a utility iron it was more designed as a MOTO club and from the 5i down and was given the option to purchase a full somewhat limited high end set while not being fully limited edition like the concept 16 irons and woods. 2018 was designed as a full set.

Guess they can’t in some people’s eyes no matter what they do. First they get labeled as being a better players club so they release the 710 ap1 and 2 along with the cb and mb to give more options. Then the offer the 718 ap3 to meet demand for the looks of the ap2 with more forgiveness and without the chunkiness of the ap1. Now they go back to a utility iron to offer more choices for those who want a long iron and not a hybrid but don’t want to use a club from the ap1 or 3 set and are said to look to busy.  

Every OEM since pretty much always have classified hybrids as long-iron replacements. Where Titleist departed from the norm is by reaching the conclusion that a hybrid is essentially a scoring club and began launching it alongside their irons which they had not done previously.

T-MB was initially billed as a utility iron - it is literally in the product description on Titleist's website.

I never said or otherwise indicated that Titleist is doing anything wrong, but merely speculated that this puts T-MB in an awkward position as AP3 serves the same purpose of being a players distance iron therefore rendering the need for a T-MB set somewhat useless. The introduction of new utility irons not carrying the T-MB name further reduces the need for T-MB and so I think ultimately, it just doesn't have a good place in the lineup anymore. This is not an uncommon problem to have when developing new products and trying to re-position your brand within the marketplace which is precisely what Titleist has been doing since the release of TS, AVX, and Tour Soft.

Your assertions about my opinion of Titleist and the clubs they produce is clearly misguided and shows a clear lack of reading comprehension. I appreciate your passion for a brand that you obviously put a lot of trust in (and money behind), but your fanboy is showing... 

31 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Every OEM since pretty much always have classified hybrids as long-iron replacements. Where Titleist departed from the norm is by reaching the conclusion that a hybrid is essentially a scoring club and began launching it alongside their irons which they had not done previously.

T-MB was initially billed as a utility iron - it is literally in the product description on Titleist's website.

I never said or otherwise indicated that Titleist is doing anything wrong, but merely speculated that this puts T-MB in an awkward position as AP3 serves the same purpose of being a players distance iron therefore rendering the need for a T-MB set somewhat useless. The introduction of new utility irons not carrying the T-MB name further reduces the need for T-MB and so I think ultimately, it just doesn't have a good place in the lineup anymore. This is not an uncommon problem to have when developing new products and trying to re-position your brand within the marketplace which is precisely what Titleist has been doing since the release of TS, AVX, and Tour Soft.

Your assertions about my opinion of Titleist and the clubs they produce is clearly misguided and shows a clear lack of reading comprehension. I appreciate your passion for a brand that you obviously put a lot of trust in (and money behind), but your fanboy is showing... 

Considering I used the word some people it wasn’t directed at you only but a general statement. Weird thing is while I like titleist they make up a small portion of my bag at the moment. Not that there’s anything wrong with fanboys but titleist is only one brand I play.