TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why do you continue to pick blades over the forgiveness and technology packed into todays irons?

oldsnick01

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

So much truth to this.  I learned first hand during my fitting at True Spec that irons with medium to larger soles are no good for me.  

How would you define your attack angle?  Are you shallow, steep, or somewhere in between?

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I would add while playing shorter tee's is and should be desirable to most, better players like using all the clubs in their bag every round. 

This to me is what makes a golf course great. The club I was a member at prior is the only course in my area that tests the entire bag. It is generally considered the best course in the area, the most solid financially and has a waiting list to join while other clubs are hurting for members. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Chisag- I’m pw to 6 iron in MB, and 5,4,3 iron in mp25. They are really easy to hit, so don’t be fooled because it’s a 3 iron. Probably the same as a modern 4 iron.

no worries, I enjoy hearing your thoughts, and never take these discussions in a negative way. Swapped shafts between the irons would be a trip to feel the difference, I think I was in love with the softness of the recoils, but in retrospect, I don’t think they were a good shaft for me in regular flex in such a light weight. So that might be why the 790’s/recoils weren’t the best combo for me. Now I want to hit that head with some steel shafts, or maybe Steelfiber i110’s.

I played poorly today, but the irons still played well. My driver acted as tho I was a total stranger. So they (irons) have already earned my trust and respect. Even though I hit some good shots with the p790’s, I never really felt confident with them, again, probably all due to a bad shaft choice.

im going to play a short course with some friends tomorrow, and will be able to tee off with an iron often, so that will be fun. Anyways- good thoughts and discussion guys.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I’m going to be leaving blades camp sooner than later. I love my Hogan’s but I just do not have the game I had when I could play 4-5 times a week.

I still believe strongly what I said earlier in the thread about my lost strokes; they are from loss of focus or bad putting. A majority of my swings through a round are still a lack of concentration. I can fake it with blades but I’d be a heck of a lot better off with a more forgiving 7 or 8 iron in my hands from 170.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Previously to getting fit last winter I had tried a set of MP5s with S300s in them and liked the feel tho the distance was pretty much identical to the 2014 TM MCs I was using. 

Thst got me thinking about playing blades this summer (which I hadn't done for a number of years).

When getting fit, I tried blades from Titleist, Callaway, TM and Mizuno.  All felt pretty good but the Mizuno MP18s were a bit better than anything else and certainly superior to the 2014TM MCs I had been playing.  

I have to admit that after about 25 rounds, I've never played irons that feel as good as these.   When I hit them perfectly it's as if the ball is as soft as a sponge as it comes off the face.   I get feedback when I don't hit them perfectly -- not harsh, but I know I didn't make contact as well as I could have --- but I don't lose much distance. 

I'm certainly happy that I'm playing blades again.  

3 hours ago, Cdntac said:

I have to admit that after about 25 rounds, I've never played irons that feel as good as these.   When I hit them perfectly it's as if the ball is as soft as a sponge as it comes off the face.   I get feedback when I don't hit them perfectly -- not harsh, but I know I didn't make contact as well as I could have --- but I don't lose much distance. 

I'm certainly happy that I'm playing blades again.  

I always try to think of a good description of a pure hit, but sometimes it’s as if I didn’t even hit a ball it’s so soft. I’m hitting proV’s. It really is something else. I came close to getting a new set of the 18’s a few months ago, they are the real deal.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:12 PM, revkev said:

I come full circle and think that it's best in a thread like this to not take pot shots at any "type" of iron.  The general consensus among many in golf is that most players, even touring pros, need a little help in their irons.  Recent surveys among fitters suggest that nearly 2/3rds of the people whom they fit need more help in their irons.  But that fails to take into account that sometimes a player's eye is so in tune to a player's type iron that he or she can't get past the look of a cavity back or forged GI club - that's understandable.  It's also understandable that a guy would go to his pro and or fitter and between the two of them determine that a certain iron is the best choice.  It's also understandable that a guy or gal may just want to play a blade because that's what he or she would like to play.  It is also possible that as Shankster wrote that a mid-capper is scratch with irons but so bad in the rest of the game that he can't get out of his own way.

I've learned all of these things from being a part of this community.  I'm not going to fault anyone's choice or make fun of how an iron looks so long as there is a reason for gaming it.  Use what you want for what ever reason that you'd like but please don't pick on someone else's choice.  A reason to suggest something different might be if they ask, "Hey I'm looking to improve my game.  I currently have Mizuno blades and can't seem to hit the green from 160."  That might be a time to jump in with a game improvement suggestion. 🙂

This is such a good post. I realize due to the subject matter most of you discussing this are all really good players, but here's an older mid capper's point of view. I'm going to turn 65 in 9 days, and the last couple of years have seen a complete change in my iron/bag set up.

I've gone from 3-PW S300 steel to a 3, then a4 hybrid. From MB's to Apex's,  and then to a graphite Steelhead XR setup with a 5 hybrid, so it's been quite a ride, lol.

I just bought a set of Rogue X irons, (which I laughed at when they were released) but after watching a 9 cap win the net version of our Club Championship, and another player come in 3rd place Gross with them in the bag, I changed my thinking. I decided I wanted the most forgiving, wide soled iron I felt comfortable with.

I love everything about my new setup. The 3 new hybrids in my bag are great, the mid irons are a club longer, and the short irons are only slightly longer then my previous set, which has actually helped in spacing out my gapping. These clubs go long, high and straight, which is what I want. My hcp is dropping thanks to my improved iron play and wedge set up. 

I couldn't be happier. To each their own.... play what works for you. Getting older, playing soft courses at or below sea level, I'll take all the help I can get.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

A couple of things stand out in reading through this thread.

1. Play what makes you happy - who really cares.

2. Please don’t buy into the myth that blades will make you a better ball striker - it’s not the case.

3. Please don’t fault someone for playing a GI or player’s distance iron -

4. Most players would be better off with as much help in an iron as their eye can take.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 3/13/2019 at 10:36 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I don't particularly care for the oversized, big offset look and would prefer to find a brand/model that has a bit more traditional/compact look. 

You might consider the Hogan Apex. It's billed as a GI iron but has the more traditional Hogan players look.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

11 hours ago, revkev said:

A couple of things stand out in reading through this thread.

1. Play what makes you happy - who really cares.

2. Please don’t buy into the myth that blades will make you a better ball striker - it’s not the case.

3. Please don’t fault someone for playing a GI or player’s distance iron -

4. Most players would be better off with as much help in an iron as their eye can take.

Some wisdom provided here 👍.  To be honest, I found myself wanting a few of the "blades" I tested to work - at one point even trying to convince myself they would eventually.  Image over practically is a very real thing.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Some wisdom provided here 👍.  To be honest, I found myself wanting a few of the "blades" I tested to work - at one point even trying to convince myself they would eventually.  Image over practically is a very real thing.  

Yes and there is nothing wrong with it so long as you don't try and impose it on others.  Just be honest - I'm playing these because I like the way they look/feel/sound whatever -

For us its a game and while it may be my goal to shoot the lowest scores possible that may not be what others want.  It took me a while but I have finally learned that.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

While a perfectly struck ball on a blade is almost indescribable in feel and sound, a well struck ball with any club is a very satisfying experience just as well. But, no matter how much help any gi or sgi iron gives you, you still need to put a proper swing on it to have a decent shot.

i don’t know any exact specs, but does the “well hit” sweet spot on a sgi club basically expand from perhaps, a nickel, to a quarter?

... More like a round dime to an elliptical silver dollar. But equal to or even more important is the weight placement. Most SGI irons have much more weight in the sole to help elevate shots because many that need SGI's don't spin the ball enough to launch it high enough or keep the ball in the air with a higher cg players iron. So a higher initial launch produces more carry. Then the heel/toe perimeter weighting means the head will twist less and shots will not be as far off line. And of course the longer blade length also means you can hit the ball more toward the toe and get at least a decent shot. These are all designed to help inconsistent contact or poor swing technique. 

... And the feel of dense metal hit perfectly in the center is sweeter than a thin faced SGI iron. Think of it more like a wooden baseball bat hit dead center and an aluminum bat that is hit dead center. They both feel good no doubt, but perfect wooden bat contact has an extraordinarily good feel. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

The final score is just part of the total experience. I have played persimmon woods exclusively for the past year and a mix of irons from the 1950’s to the present and my enjoyment of the game has never been stronger. Sure I’m giving up yards using older equipment, but is a few yards gained more important than the feel of a perfectly struck persimmon driver or forged blade 5-iron?

I like the car analogy. I can get in my wife’s 2016 Honda Civic, automatic, turbo charged, with Apple Car Play and every other modern feature and it is faster, quicker, and handles better than 95% of cars built 30 years ago. But I miss the car it replaced, a 1993 Saab 900. The Saab wasn’t as fast nor did it handle as well, but the 16v Saab engine mated to a 5-speed manual gave me a completely connected feel. The leather interior was a higher quality. The shape was more interesting. Strangers liked to come up and talk to me about the Saab.

Now what was more important, getting where you need to go faster, or in the case of golf less strokes? Or is it the feeling and enjoyment of the entire journey?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

36 minutes ago, deejaid said:

The final score is just part of the total experience. I have played persimmon woods exclusively for the past year and a mix of irons from the 1950’s to the present and my enjoyment of the game has never been stronger. Sure I’m giving up yards using older equipment, but is a few yards gained more important than the feel of a perfectly struck persimmon driver or forged blade 5-iron?

... Well since you asked, yes. Yes it is. Especially when you add more accuracy too. And your car analogy shows us we are talking about 2 completely different things. I think it comes down to 3 basic categories for those that play and love this game and of course all are equally valid.

1. Those that think golf is a sport and want to play that sport at the highest level they can achieve. Every round is a challenge and an invitation to shoot your lowest score. If score were not an unimportant part of the game, they wouldn't have scorecards at every golf course. I have yet to play a course that does not offer one. 

2. Those that enjoy everything this wonderful game has to offer with the exception of score. Playing for the sheer joy of being outdoors and using equipment that enhances that enjoyment. One person may have the latest and greatest looking to hit the longest drives and they don't even keep score, while others like yourself have vintage equipment and enjoy all that equipment has to offer.

3. Those that want both a combination of equipment that gives them the most positive feedback and shoot their lowest score. I think most golf forum members are in this category. Some may love the feel of a perfectly struck iron shot but are willing to split the difference between a forged MB and a multi material SGI playing one of the many players irons that best suit their game. 

On 6/13/2019 at 10:18 AM, jlukes said:

So much truth to this.  I learned first hand during my fitting at True Spec that irons with medium to larger soles are no good for me.  

Iirc this was a subject in @Golfspy_CG2 fitting at txg and the type of sole that worked for him

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Iirc this was a subject in @Golfspy_CG2 fitting at txg and the type of sole that worked for him

indeed it was, and I've seen it play out in on course situations as well. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Ive learned to adopt the adage that you should play the most forgiving irons that you can stand to look down at.  I love blade and wish that I had the swing to get the most of out of them but I want to play my best and that means SGI shovels for me.

Every time I think that I want blades, I pull my vintage set of Hogan Apexs out of the closet.  All it takes is about 10 bad shots at the range to remind me that I dont have the swing for blades.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I play JPX 900 Tours simply because I hit them the best out of all the irons i hit.  I am a mid-teens handicapper and last season i did extensive iron testing and the irons i hit best were the JPX 900s, Mizuno SCs and MMCs, Taylormade P790s, and the M series.  

I hit the "better-player" mizuno irons than i did the game improvement mizuno and titlest irons, so ultimately thats is what i bought, although i did go with the 4 and 5 iron since I hit the long irons about the same.  I don't find the tours to be that punishing.

What was important to me was to go with the iron that i hit the best and felt the best.  Also, a lot of the courses I play its better to miss short than long, an additional bonus was less "hot" hits from the forged clubs compared to a Ms series or even the P790s i was getting some "hot" hits in testing.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

I was open to moving away from blades, but at my last fitting I got the best results from the MBs. While they were not the longest of the irons I tried, they were the most consistent and had the best launch and spin numbers.

:titelist-small: TSi2 9.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3 15 / 18.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3H 20° (set for 22)

:titelist-small: CNCPT 5i-48°

:vokey-small: SM8 52° / 58°

:cameron-small: Fastback 1.0 Circle T

Hey all, new here to the forums. Love this discussion. 

Don't have much experience with blades. If there is any comparable experience, for me, is that when I inherited my first set of forged CB irons. The feel was amazing and whenever I tried going back to GI irons in trying to play better golf, I just couldn't get on board with them. I admit, there may have been some mental biases against them because I loved the feel so much of forged CBs.

I absolutely love the look of blades and MBs. But looks is where I am realizing my friends are stuck on. I'm a 20 HCP and my friends are all 30+. Most have only been playing for a couple of years, but never has taken the game seriously enough to work on improving their swings. A friend of mine walked into the shop, saw a set of used MBs and fell in love with the looks. And next thing you know, he's at the register purchasing the set. He's lost a ton of distance and definitely does not have the consistency to hit them even decently, so I won't even go into dispersion. But he's so stuck on the looks, that he continues to play with them.

... I am always a little amazed at players that play MB's because they look good but don't have the ability to play them well. Kinda like new golf shoes that just look awesome but hurt your feet when you walk. This of course does not include those that don't care about score and just love playing vintage equipment knowing it is not advantageous to their game, they just enjoy playing them. 

Similar to one of the early posters, I've moved into a blade b/c the performance is just better FOR ME - i can't explain it, it seems to defy logic.  Whether its entirely in my head and the improved confidence has helped, i can't say.

As a 0.5 handicap, I used to play Callaway Apex Pro's and then moved to P790's 1.5 years ago... i believe i was seduced by the distance.  But, in the real world, i just never could get along with them - distances were all over the place for me, quality of strike wasn't real good, and then i'd get that occasional 7-iron that would go 195 yards... So 6 weeks ago i did a fitting again, and once again on a trackman, my gamers were just spectacular.  But the next best thing was the MP-18 musclebacks.  I decided to pick up a 2nd hand set of MP-18 MB's, and while i only have 3 rounds on them, I can't remember my iron play ever being better!!  Now, what was a strength early in the year in my Driver, is starting to get a bit squirly from time to time, but so long as I drive the ball well, i have high confidence that I'm going to hit a great iron shot.   Playing the MB's from 5-9 with a vokey 46* wedge and then still playing the 4 & 5 iron of the P790 (yes, two 5 irons, since the P790's are a full club stronger lofted in these irons).  So, in effect its a 3-PW set that i'm pretty darn happy with (other than the Vokey - i'm undecided on it)

First, hello MGS peeps! 🍻 

Anyhow...This is the first summer I've played blades and absolutely love them.  I'm a club ho and was getting bored with the i500's so went in to try out the blade lineup for fun.  I found out quickly that my preconceived notions about how hard they would be to hit went away after a few swings.  I also realized what I had been missing on the feel off of the face and couldn't talk myself out of getting them.  Sure, they're a bit smaller profile but it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I had expected.  Ended up getting fit into the Apex MB (6-P) and Apex Pro (4-5). 

After gaming them for 5 months I can't see myself going back to anything else, at least in the 6-P (might end up swapping the 4/5 for MBs at some point as well).  The feel is irreplaceable and getting consistent distances, especially compared the suuuuper hot face of the i500s is really nice.

default_callaway-small.jpg.5ec8a7857f602eb4509853ce75600a0d.jpg Epic Flash SZ 9* / Diamana 70g Stiff

default_callaway-small.jpg.5ec8a7857f602eb4509853ce75600a0d.jpgDiablo Edge 3W / Proforce V2 XS

default_callaway-small.jpg.5ec8a7857f602eb4509853ce75600a0d.jpgEpic 3H 20* / Recoil 780 ES

default_callaway-small.jpg.5ec8a7857f602eb4509853ce75600a0d.jpgApex Pro 19 4,5 - Apex MB 18 6-PW / PX LZ 6.0 (+.5" 2up)

default_titelist-small.jpg.f6bfc8b3731042040279d8c5fd2a8c59.jpgSM4 60-10, SM 52-08, SM5 48-08

Byron Morgan DH89 / 355G / 35"

RH

I love blades and players forged irons. At age 67 though, my new Ping G410's are my first purchase in years that have actually lowered my handicap.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

On 7/11/2019 at 4:29 AM, braincramp said:

I love blades and players forged irons. At age 67 though, my new Ping G410's are my first purchase in years that have actually lowered my handicap.

Huh..

one of my morning group bought a set of the g410’s and I played a round with them, and I absolutely hated them. Yuk...

so this week he showed up with his new i500’s, and I hit them this morning. They felt wayyyyy better than the g410’s. Almost felt good, but they just couldn’t match the feel of my mp5’s, although the flight was very similar. The feel of the true musclebacks just cannot be replicated. I’m a month or two in with my blades, and my index is pretty well the same so they’re not giving me a large penalty either.

but another funny thing to me is that I keep iron covers on them, so I am missing out on the “bag look”, but I don’t really like the “chatter” look, so I’m fine with that

On 7/11/2019 at 5:29 AM, braincramp said:

What irons were you previously playing?  I just switched from my PE2's to the G410's.  Too early to know if they will help get me into my lifelong goal of a single digit handicap... but thus far I think they are helping.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 4 weeks later...

nice haiku

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond