TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why do you continue to pick blades over the forgiveness and technology packed into todays irons?

oldsnick01

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, chisag said:

... Ah Sluggo I was hanging with you but you lost me at "I would guess that more people might possible even benefit by playing blades." At WRX this is the cry of those that shouldn't be playing MB's and know it but try and justify their choice. I have fought the MB fight over there forever but it is like talking to a brick wall. You did say "quite a different animal in every way" and I feel pretty sure your opinion of your 2 irons would be radically different if you had the 68gm Recoils in the MP5/25's and the XP115's in the 790's. Additionally IF you do not have a high launch, the low spinning 790's can be problematic holding greens. I hit the ball very high with my 790's so holding greens isn't a problem here in the midwest, but in Phoenix with rock hard greens and the ball carrying farther even with a very high trajectory, I had to switch to P760's because my long irons were rolling off the back of greens, so I understand why they may not have worked for you. Of course this is used at WRX a ton too, can't make the switch from my MB's to players distance irons. While a good player certainly can adjust as golfertrb has done just the with i500's, most would do better switching to a players non distance iron that provides everything a MB does but with added forgiveness. It is up to each individual to figure out how much forgiveness is best for their game. Using Titleist as an example, some will find what works for them in the CB's, or a CB AP2 combo, full set of AP2's, AP2 and AP3 combo or a full set of MP3s. Going to AP1's would be problematic for any MB player and unnecessary to make that big of a leap. So lots of choices that do not include players distance irons unless they are desirable.

... I would add while playing shorter tee's is and should be desirable to most, better players like using all the clubs in their bag every round. My favorite course has 2 killer par 4's that call for anything form a 6 iron to a 3 wood depending on the wind and I love the challenge. I have been under par too many times to count coming into #7 a 448yd uphill the entire way, into the wind par 4 and walked away with a bogie. But the days I make par or the few times I have birdied this hole are extremely rewarding. It is a very difficult hole but fair. 

... All that said (aside from others might benefit from playing MB's) it sounds like you have found a combo set you love. I don't know where the change begins but pw-8 and 7-5/4/3 is a great way to enjoy MB's. I also think that you truly believe you play better with MB's, so there is a very good chance that you do! And I agree, the candy for the senses feel of a forged carbon steel MB is so exquisite, although my one piece 760 short irons feel exactly like a MB but I appreciate the progressive forgiveness in the 7 thru 4 irons with a thicker face than distance irons and more foam in each head as the loft decreases so they still feel very good, although admittedly not as good as the solid short irons. Keep in mind many players near scratch or better can absolutely play MB's but it is the few shots a round where they may hurt our score that can make a difference. I had 178yds into a strong quartering wind from left to right with water on both sides and subconsciously trying to guide the ball (dumb) I caught my 760 #6 iron a little on the toe. It drifted right with the wind and stopped about 5 yds short of the water and I have no doubt an MB 6 iron would have ended up in the water. I had 2 other slight miss hits that might or might not affected my score but the bulk of my shots would have been pretty much the same with MB's. So for me, one shot a round is enough to play something more forgiving. Ymmv of course. 

... I hope it didn't seem like I was attacking your choice because I am not, as you found some awesome Mizuno irons. I think this says it all "so for me, the game has become much more enjoyable now that I’ve switched back to blades" So congrats on your find and I am genuinely happy for you as you seem to really love your MP5/25 irons.  And in the end, that is really all that matters!  🤗

I am kinda late to this. But you and I have fought the same fight over there. One of the reasons I switched to older KZG forged CBs is because they are Kyoei forged and are the best feeling iron I have ever hit. Since I do not practice or play as much as I used to I need a little forgiveness. Those are more of a players CB and not a distance CB. Stock they are traditional lofts based off a 47* PW same as any of my vintage Mac blades. I hit them the same distances as my 80 VIPs but they are a little more forgiving. I did have to do some lead tape tuning with a little weight high to get the trajectory down some.  I have shot some of my best rounds this season with them. But I still play my vintage blades and persimmon quite a bit. I also have my ace in the hole IF I ever want to play comps again. I do have a set of LEGAL MP-68s I can hit too. 

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, chisag said:

... I am always a little amazed at players that play MB's because they look good but don't have the ability to play them well. Kinda like new golf shoes that just look awesome but hurt your feet when you walk. This of course does not include those that don't care about score and just love playing vintage equipment knowing it is not advantageous to their game, they just enjoy playing them. 

That is sorta me on the vintage end. Seriously I am probably 5 strokes better with the modern stuff. But just like you said I play my vintage stuff because I enjoy it and could care less about the score. I have had many folks over the years ask me why I mess with the antique stuff. I tell them because I can still hit that stuff and enjoy the feel and sound of a well struck Persimmon wood or a pured shot with an antique vintage iron. And yes I know you know this but I can still hit a blade 1 iron. In fact the 3 iron with the KZGs I have bent back to 18*

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:23 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Huh..

one of my morning group bought a set of the g410’s and I played a round with them, and I absolutely hated them. Yuk...

so this week he showed up with his new i500’s, and I hit them this morning. They felt wayyyyy better than the g410’s. Almost felt good, but they just couldn’t match the feel of my mp5’s, although the flight was very similar. The feel of the true musclebacks just cannot be replicated. I’m a month or two in with my blades, and my index is pretty well the same so they’re not giving me a large penalty either.

but another funny thing to me is that I keep iron covers on them, so I am missing out on the “bag look”, but I don’t really like the “chatter” look, so I’m fine with that

You would hate my MP-68s then--- I bought them used and beat up with good grooves though. They have lots of bag chatter and of course are lead taped---- But hey if that is what you like without the chatter then that is cool by me

G

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, Grand Stranded said:

This is such a good post. I realize due to the subject matter most of you discussing this are all really good players, but here's an older mid capper's point of view. I'm going to turn 65 in 9 days, and the last couple of years have seen a complete change in my iron/bag set up.

I've gone from 3-PW S300 steel to a 3, then a4 hybrid. From MB's to Apex's,  and then to a graphite Steelhead XR setup with a 5 hybrid, so it's been quite a ride, lol.

I just bought a set of Rogue X irons, (which I laughed at when they were released) but after watching a 9 cap win the net version of our Club Championship, and another player come in 3rd place Gross with them in the bag, I changed my thinking. I decided I wanted the most forgiving, wide soled iron I felt comfortable with.

I love everything about my new setup. The 3 new hybrids in my bag are great, the mid irons are a club longer, and the short irons are only slightly longer then my previous set, which has actually helped in spacing out my gapping. These clubs go long, high and straight, which is what I want. My hcp is dropping thanks to my improved iron play and wedge set up. 

I couldn't be happier. To each their own.... play what works for you. Getting older, playing soft courses at or below sea level, I'll take all the help I can get.

Uh huuh I see you are sorta in my neck of the woods

G

On 8/13/2019 at 5:06 PM, BIG STU said:

You would hate my MP-68s then--- I bought them used and beat up with good grooves though. They have lots of bag chatter and of course are lead taped---- But hey if that is what you like without the chatter then that is cool by me

That’s funny cuz one of my buddies wouldn’t be caught dead with a head cover, and feels that “chatter” is a sign of the “playah” haha.

i just think the chrome blades are so good looking that a chatter mark is like a door ding in a custom cars paint job. This goes way back to my first set of mp33’s, which were near perfect when I sold them 20 years later. And they brought an astounding selling price on eBay, shocking actually

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

5 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

That’s funny cuz one of my buddies wouldn’t be caught dead with a head cover, and feels that “chatter” is a sign of the “playah” haha.

i just think the chrome blades are so good looking that a chatter mark is like a door ding in a custom cars paint job. This goes way back to my first set of mp33’s, which were near perfect when I sold them 20 years later. And they brought an astounding selling price on eBay, shocking actually

Different strokes for different folks--------- On the custom car thing I was always a rat rod man before rat rods were cool---- All of my old Harleys were rat bikes and I mostly ran them in black primer----- I like the rat rod thing in golf too---- A older set of battered irons with new shafts and grips in a old school ratty bag------ Gotta work with the Old School Miller I found the other day at Goodwill---- That thing is over 20 years old but looks like it is brand new--- Looked to never been on a course. But time will break it in. My wife says I change bags like women change pocketbooks. Yep she is right--- Found an old TM R-7 stand bag on the pile the other day in good shape zippers and stand work got it for free--- Debating right now on whether to change my stuff over to it-----

What is funny I have an older Titleist mini staff left over from the old days in pristine shape. The tourist crowd it draws attention to. Why I do not know. I can have it standing on the corner of the porch at the club and they are drawn to look. They seem to be disappointed or shocked when they saw my typical stuff in there---- Lead taped VIPs the rusty lead taped Scotty putter some beat up lead taped 588s and what ever driver and FW I am hitting that day. Other bags do not draw attention except maybe my vintage Hoofer.

But hey I do my thing and do not care if someone else does their's

G

On 8/13/2019 at 8:10 PM, BIG STU said:

Uh huuh I see you are sorta in my neck of the woods

Just saw this. Yes I guess we are, lol. I just got back down today, I was up on Long Island visiting family. live in Barefoot Resort, in North Myrtle.

I usually play there, but Thursday is my "travel day", I play with a group called the Flounders (usually get about 80-100 guys) most of them are from down by you. Murrels, Surfside, Pawleys, etc. Its a real nice bunch of guys. I've been in the group about 10 years.

Because we have so many, we usually book the entire course, and get good prices. For example, the next three weeks we're playing Caladonia for $59 am,Tigers Eye $45 am, then Tidewater $45... play a lot more courses on the north end now then we used to, since I brought a bunch of my Barefoot pals into the group.

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

I just got done playing an outing with two guys under 30. One of them can.... and does, drive the ball 290/300 yards... accurately. He just switched to blades. Never had a lesson or was fit for clubs. He's an insane talent and player. Ya got it .... or ya don't. Take that how you will..

Ego. As I am getting older I am realizing that I cannot let my ego control what type of clubs I use. I love the look of a blade. Used to play MP68’s, gave those up a few years ago, switched to the Cally XR pro for some forgiveness and boy did that work, then I thought I can play some better “players” irons, so I switched to the MP-18 SC which have been very nice, but i have seen my GIR stat go from 9-10 down to 4-5. That’s just not good and no where near where I want to go. I thought that I would be better with the cool looking irons, (Ego), but I have realized that I am not better I am far worse. So I will be moving on and trying something new. Looking at some AP3 irons as they are right in the middle of players and GI categories. I’m not a titleist guy, but if they will help my game I have to at least try. So long Ego. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Okay, I’ll chime in. I went with a more forgiving iron when I returned last year to playing. While I tried out several newer models I already owned some Ben Hogan CFT’s I bought new in 2004(or thereabouts). I needed graphite shafts because of an elbow injury and installed these on Project X PXv 6.0.

For those that don’t know the CFT was a forged stainless body iron with a compressed forged titanium face. Other than weaker lofts than the newer clubs, these are quite forgiving and have a very hot face.

But as I was getting more rust knocked off my game, I found that while this type of club is great for full swings, the delicate shots around the greens are more problematic. The ball came off with a pop and lots of spin. So I broke out the old Scor wedges and soon replace my PW (or E in Hoganese) with a Scor 46. Then the 9 iron with a Scor 42.

This soon proved to be very advantageous for my short game. So much so that I replaced my 6-PW with Hogan Ft Worth 15’s. I now have the CFT 3-5 and Ft Worth 15’s in 29-33-37-41-45. And will replace my 50-55-60 Scors with TK15’s when the time arises. I may replace the CFT’s with Ft Worth HI’s, but currently there is no need.

I have played Mizuno MP FLI HI’s for years in the 2-3-4 irons. The old Hogan CFT long irons are higher, longer, and more spin. Basically they are the same lofts just have the numbers 3-4-5 on them.

The bladed Ft Worth 15’s feel scalpels to me while the others feel like an axe. Inside say 170 yards I want to feel like I have the scalpel to cut down the flag. Outside that, I want an axe for forgiveness.

Even more importantly is when I miss the green I want those different scalpels so I can control the flight to roll and the distance the ball travels on the chips. I’m a firm believer in “The Rule of 12”. (Pace from the flag to the ball and the ball to a pace on the green. Total 16 steps to flag and 4 to the green, then 16/4=4. 12-4 is 8. Read the green like a putt and pick a spot where you have to land the ball and focus just on how hard to hit it to get to that spot. If it is just 2 steps to the green and 16 to the flag it is a 6 iron.)

Blades to me are also more reliable on the partial shots. I injured my shoulder and elbow last year and could only make 3/4 swings. My accuracy greatly improved by making just partial swings. I can make full swings now, but rarely make more than a 3/4 swing inside 175.

Sure, 1 time today I was in the deep rough and would have benefited from a more forgiving club, but I may also have caught a flier and gone in the lake. As it was, I had club I felt more comfortable using around the green. If I would have hit a straighter drive I wouldn’t have needed more forgiveness.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:25 PM, Grand Stranded said:

Just saw this. Yes I guess we are, lol. I just got back down today, I was up on Long Island visiting family. live in Barefoot Resort, in North Myrtle.

I usually play there, but Thursday is my "travel day", I play with a group called the Flounders (usually get about 80-100 guys) most of them are from down by you. Murrels, Surfside, Pawleys, etc. Its a real nice bunch of guys. I've been in the group about 10 years.

Because we have so many, we usually book the entire course, and get good prices. For example, the next three weeks we're playing Caladonia for $59 am,Tigers Eye $45 am, then Tidewater $45... play a lot more courses on the north end now then we used to, since I brought a bunch of my Barefoot pals into the group.

I think your group played Pawley's Plantation a few weeks back when we were down there. I know there is one big group that are out of Sunset Beach NC. Ran into them somewhere. I know the leader of the group said they had a waiting list. One of my co workers who is retired and works part time has a small group out of Shaftsbury Glen. Right now I still work full time so I do not get to play but on Saturday because I run a sound board for a church in Surfside 

G

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:38 PM, silver & black said:

I just got done playing an outing with two guys under 30. One of them can.... and does, drive the ball 290/300 yards... accurately. He just switched to blades. Never had a lesson or was fit for clubs. He's an insane talent and player. Ya got it .... or ya don't. Take that how you will..

Well I will say this. Him hitting the ball that far and accurately he has to have great hand eye coordination. That is one of the things it takes with blades on the other hand a lot of it is feel and instinct. For me it is feel and instinct because even in my comp days I never considered myself a ball striker. If you go and look at the old VIPs I hit for 20 years you will not see dime sized marks you will see wear all over the face

G

... So Big'en you aren't like the mid/high index golfers at wrk's that have dime sized sweet spot marks on their MB's but just suffer from a poor short game? 🤣

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:32 AM, RoverRick said:

Okay, I’ll chime in. I went with a more forgiving iron when I returned last year to playing. While I tried out several newer models I already owned some Ben Hogan CFT’s I bought new in 2004(or thereabouts). I needed graphite shafts because of an elbow injury and installed these on Project X PXv 6.0.

For those that don’t know the CFT was a forged stainless body iron with a compressed forged titanium face. Other than weaker lofts than the newer clubs, these are quite forgiving and have a very hot face.

But as I was getting more rust knocked off my game, I found that while this type of club is great for full swings, the delicate shots around the greens are more problematic. The ball came off with a pop and lots of spin. So I broke out the old Scor wedges and soon replace my PW (or E in Hoganese) with a Scor 46. Then the 9 iron with a Scor 42.

This soon proved to be very advantageous for my short game. So much so that I replaced my 6-PW with Hogan Ft Worth 15’s. I now have the CFT 3-5 and Ft Worth 15’s in 29-33-37-41-45. And will replace my 50-55-60 Scors with TK15’s when the time arises. I may replace the CFT’s with Ft Worth HI’s, but currently there is no need.

I have played Mizuno MP FLI HI’s for years in the 2-3-4 irons. The old Hogan CFT long irons are higher, longer, and more spin. Basically they are the same lofts just have the numbers 3-4-5 on them.

The bladed Ft Worth 15’s feel scalpels to me while the others feel like an axe. Inside say 170 yards I want to feel like I have the scalpel to cut down the flag. Outside that, I want an axe for forgiveness.

Even more importantly is when I miss the green I want those different scalpels so I can control the flight to roll and the distance the ball travels on the chips. I’m a firm believer in “The Rule of 12”. (Pace from the flag to the ball and the ball to a pace on the green. Total 16 steps to flag and 4 to the green, then 16/4=4. 12-4 is 8. Read the green like a putt and pick a spot where you have to land the ball and focus just on how hard to hit it to get to that spot. If it is just 2 steps to the green and 16 to the flag it is a 6 iron.)

Blades to me are also more reliable on the partial shots. I injured my shoulder and elbow last year and could only make 3/4 swings. My accuracy greatly improved by making just partial swings. I can make full swings now, but rarely make more than a 3/4 swing inside 175.

Sure, 1 time today I was in the deep rough and would have benefited from a more forgiving club, but I may also have caught a flier and gone in the lake. As it was, I had club I felt more comfortable using around the green. If I would have hit a straighter drive I wouldn’t have needed more forgiveness.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

"Hoganese" love it!!!  What you described is exactly what happens with me with hot faced CB irons ( ie: Infiniti Assure, 2013 Callaway X Forged). In a nutshell I absolutely can not control them distance wise. And around the green forget it. Can not control a bump and run 8 iron. Those KZGs I am gaming now are the best of both worlds. They are 1 piece Kyoei forged and are not hot faced. They offer me a little more forgiveness. Best thing I like about them is the fact they are the most buttery feeling irons I have ever hit. I have 2 sets. One set I built for my Buddy Bear with Swing Science graphite shafts--- Those are my back injury set If I am not hurting and swing good I hook the snot out of them------ The main set I am gaming have 5.5 Rifle shafts in them. I will confess I did not build them but who ever did knows their stuff.

G

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... So Big'en you aren't like the mid/high index golfers at wrk's that have dime sized sweet spot marks on their MB's but just suffer from a poor short game? 🤣

ROTFLMAO--- I never was a great ball striker but my short game from  120 in kept me going especially putting. Now that I have gotten older and my swing is both shorter and slower I am honestly a better ball striker than I have ever been but I still do not consider myself a ball striker. Now if I could just putt like I used to. I think I have the putting thing maybe going right now. I got back to my basics. I grew up on Bermuda greens so I was wristy. In the last few years I had gotten away from that and have gone to a SBST stroke. I think I had forgotten my basics of instinct putting ( Rover Rick and I have discussed that over the years). I had lost all feel and instinct. For now I have went back to my old blade style putters either a Bullseye or Ironmaster or 8802 style with stock round leather grips. Seems the feel and instinct are returning. I quit being mechanical and have started running at everything. I will see in the next few weeks 

G

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

I think your group played Pawley's Plantation a few weeks back when we were down there. I know there is one big group that are out of Sunset Beach NC. Ran into them somewhere. I know the leader of the group said they had a waiting list. One of my co workers who is retired and works part time has a small group out of Shaftsbury Glen. Right now I still work full time so I do not get to play but on Saturday because I run a sound board for a church in Surfside 

Whenever the time comes that you're available and interested to play with the group on Thursdays, let me know. No waiting list for you, LOL.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, Grand Stranded said:

Whenever the time comes that you're available and interested to play with the group on Thursdays, let me know. No waiting list for you, LOL.

Man thanks I will PM you

G

... So Big'en you aren't like the mid/high index golfers at wrk's that have dime sized sweet spot marks on their MB's but just suffer from a poor short game? 

I nearly spit all over my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I fall into the category of players on here that say they hate the look of 2 things. 1.) a fat looking clunky game improvement type iron 2.) offset, even if it is minimal. I think these 2 things are the reason I am looking for a blade looking club at address that has zero offset and a minor amount of forgiveness that lets me work the ball some. It led me to try Hogans demo program for the Fort Worth Black Irons. I love the look of them and they are reasonably priced with shaft upgrades at no charge! I got a 7 iron and a PW. I hit the wedge as expected. Great. The 7 iron I hit great about 80% of the shots I tried. (total of about 40-50 balls, with 8-10 bad ones.) The other 20% were obviously not hit dead center probably due to my current irons allowing me to get away with those shots and no appreciable change in the results. Could I get these clubs and become a more consistent ball striker? I bet I could, I mean I am a 5 handicap and I hit the ball pretty well. I just need to find a club that looks like I want it to and does not take me backwards in results. My next test will be the Titleist T200's and the Callaway Apex Pro's. I may try the Hogan PTX pros thru their demo program again. The issue with the retail guys is that the Hogans are half the price! $775 vs $14-1500 due to no middle man. 

Edited by Gopokes14

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

• 5 months later...

I've been thinking, and I wonder what the coming generations will consider to be "good" feel. I'm assuming most of us older guys grew up playing cut down 5 irons, dad's old set of blades, etc. With the proliferation of designed-for-kids sets and GI/SGI/player's distance irons I think a lot of kids will not ever play old wilson blades or whatever- their perception of "good feel" may be entirely different, preferring a more lively face and more explosive sound to the soft/solid (deader?) Feel of a good forged MB. Hmm...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

2 minutes ago, AH1980MN said:

I've been thinking, and I wonder what the coming generations will consider to be "good" feel. I'm assuming most of us older guys grew up playing cut down 5 irons, dad's old set of blades, etc. With the proliferation of designed-for-kids sets and GI/SGI/player's distance irons I think a lot of kids will not ever play old wilson blades or whatever- their perception of "good feel" may be entirely different, preferring a more lively face and more explosive sound to the soft/solid (deader?) Feel of a good forged MB. Hmm...

... We already see this. I thought the original Epic driver was the best sounding/feeling metal driver I have played. A dense, solid sound/feel that I absolutely loved and reminded me of hitting my McGregor M85. But lots if younger players hated the Epic saying it felt dead and lifeless and as you said, prefer a louder more explosive sound and feel. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I love me some blades... but I have the Mizuno MP-18MMC and the PING iBlade feel stuck in my brain. To me, those are probably the best feeling clubs all around I’ve hit.

Yes, the blades are soft and sweet. But like you said, I think I’m liking the more lively face feel. I keep taking my RBZ Tour PW out in the yard, trying not to convince myself that I like them better than the Blueprints... it’s a hard battle to pick a side on.

Hey, a blade thread!   

At least it's not me performing the threadomancy.  LOL 

So yeah...  I play blades.  Have a fair number of them lying around.  Played Ram Tour Grinds and MP37s last season, for the most part.  

I keep trying CBs.  Some are sets I've always liked/loved.  Some are sets that have sparked curiosity (looking at you, Eye2+).  For the most part, I don't score as well with them as I do with the blades, so I play the blades.  Was quite disappointing with the ISI, I have always had a thing for them, but they just didn't get it done.  The Eye2+ were the best of the CBs, but they were just a bit short (performance, not distance).  I might have stuck with them, but they presented other issues such that it was best at the time to set them aside.  Played a month or more in 2019 with TP MC's, decent, but also didn't quite get it done.

I don't try to work the ball.  I don't really practice much at all.  Just get better results, on course, on the launch monitor.  And, ultimately, it's about the score.

It's even goofier when one considers I tend to get better tee game results with persimmons and laminates.  Hence the Orlimars in the bag to start 2020.  🙂

edited to add: the ultimate irony, I'd really rather enjoy the durability of some of the CBs out there.  Maybe I need to try original 845s?  😉

It's interesting what happens to direction when you play CBs for an extended period, then switch back to blades.  I played those Eye2+ For a full 12 month period, when I switched back to Ram Tour Grinds, I suddenly started seeing little fades and draws that weren't there previously. 

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 4 weeks later...

Somebody did a test and found distance control was actually better with modern high tech players irons vs blades, just don’t remember who that was. And the fact that Jordan Spieth bags AP2s (T100s) tells me all I need to know. With that said, I firmly believe you should play whatever you like regardless of handicap. Even a mid handicapper can get around a course just fine with blades so if that’s what you like and you’re not obsessed with carding the best score possible then go for it. In my experience the difference between blades and GI irons is only maybe 5 strokes a round so I just go with looks and feel regardless what Trackman might say, which I’ll add for me is not a blade. But I play for fun. If I made a living at it my answer might be different.

I just switched from MP 5’s to Hogan PtX Pro’s.

loved the blades, crazy about to Hogan’s now. Feel is actually fantastic. A little different obviously, but really good. Distance is about the same. The Hogan’s are easier to hit and go straighter. I’ve gotten two scratch games out of 5 now. Not sure if I ever got even with the blades. I tried the p790’s with graphite shafts (too light) and didn’t like em. Now I’ve got shafts I like  (steel 110) and it makes a difference

so, as a previous bladester, I will now eat my big old plate of crow, as I an loving the Hogan’s with all that tech.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Simple.  I just love new irons.  Nothing better than looking down at a new iron in my hand.  Surprisingly it helps me more mentally than with actual forgiveness.  Nobody works on their mental game anymore yet it reflects 80% of your golf score.  

Brock C Davison 

Things To Know :

• I hit my 7-iron like John Daly hits the 3
  • Brands I Stand By: Peter Millar, Taylormade, PING, Seamus, and of course Titleist 
  • Favorite Golfer Of All Time: Payne Stewart & Freddy "Boom Boom

I've played blades for almost 50 years other than a brief flirtation with Ping G-15's that lasted a couple months. In fact, I recently purchased a set of brand new custom blades for the 2020 season. But, I had buyer's remorse from the get go and they are just still in the box. I will be trading them into the PGA Super Store for whatever credit I can get. I've ordered a set of Cleveland Launchers. I frankly need the help. Kudos to you younger guys (and older) who continue to play blades. There is nothing more beautiful than a classic blade design or a better feeling golf shot. 

What's interesting is that the blade purist doesn't extend to putters. People are moving away from Ping Anser designs towards mallets and you never see a Tommy Armour ironmaster design or Bullseye design and haven't for decades. No one waxes poetically about the pureness of a putter design and how it makes their stroke better. Just food for thought.

Driver: Epic Flash 12*

Hybrids: XXIO 18*,  XXIO 21*, XXIO 23*, Cobra 26*, Exotics 28*

Irons: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo, 7-D (on order), SW: Cleveland Smart Sole

Putter: Seemore MTri-Mallet 34"

I play Miura mc501 and think they are the best iron in the world.  I know it is not a true blade, as it does have a lot of forgiveness and is fairly easy to launch.

the difference between the bigger irons is just consistency for me.  I am coming from pxg 0311p.     They felt equally as nice but 3-4 times a round I would just pump, what I thought was a perfect shot over the green.   200 with a 7 was great for my ego, but the triple I took cause it went ob was not was I was looking for.   At least with my mc 501 I know perfect shots will be on the money and not as perfect will be short.   I can adjust accordingly.

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

To me nothing feels better than a blade on a well struck shot.  The ability to work the ball left/right/higher/lower a bit easier with a blade is also another plus.  In agreement with what others have said earlier, minimal offset of a blade is pleasing to my eye. 

So feel, performance and ascetics are three of the four criteria I need to play an iron.  The fourth is based on a fundamentally sound and repeating swing.  There is no iron that can achieve that.  The only way to achieve the fourth criteria is through good fundamentals and purposeful practice.  The feedback on a shot will tell me whether my swing is repeating or not.  With a blade I can feed where on the face I struck a shot compared to a more muted feel of game improvement irons where most shots feel decent.  Because of the feedback playing a blade might force me to make sure my swing is on plane and repeating.  If not my ball striking will be poor and that's with any type of iron or wood.  That said I know I need to put work in practice if I want to be able to play blades.  For me if a golf club doesn't fit my eye and is pleasing to my psychological side I will never, and I mean NEVER, be able to hit a good shot with it.  There is something powerful with the psychology of a golfer that is hard to figure out.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I play Wilson Staff blades because they're so darn pretty!! Honestly my game from 100 yards in is just better with blades. Chipping and wide soles just doesn't work for me. 

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5