Why do you continue to pick blades over the forgiveness and technology packed into todays irons?

oldsnick01

I feel the need...

the need for Speed....

...foam

• Haha 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I play blades because my proximity stats with 4i-SW are better than the tour average and for me the foundation of that stat is distance control via trajectory manipulation. A smaller instrument is also my preference when I need to dig the ball out of a less than ideal lie. If golf were a game of strictly full swings from perfect lies then I might choose a different tack, but for the time being it's still a game that rewards intentional creativity. And nothing gets my creative juices flowing more than my Adams IDEA MB2s.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Finally switched from my Nike vapor pro / pro combo mixed set last year to PXG. I would have never thought I would do it and certainly not PXG, nothing against anyone that likes them as a company, just the brand itself did not speak to me and I can’t unsee bob parsons wearing an earring slinging $1.99 domain names. 

I think I lost a touch of distance control but I’m hitting it way higher now and overall hitting more greens. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Blades or MB's meets all the needs of my game. Forgiveness and technology are mass advertised in massive sizes. But it is trending to a better sized iron, eventually the OEM's will get it right. Lots of good things in the players CB's. No doubt, the OEM's are making not only better irons, but better sized irons.

I have to admit that I am "this" player. I've been trying to shake my blades for 5 years now and keep going back to them. Most recently, I moved from my Wilson FG100's to the Mizuno JPX 900 Forged. I'm 5 rounds into my season and already seriously regret it. Probably the biggest issue I have is the fact that I hit the same shot almost everywhere on the face of the club. That's fine for the guy trying to hit the ball straight to the target every time, but when I drive it into the trees or need a good knockdown shot, I just don't have it with the cavity backs. 

Blades give me the feeling of control, not forgiveness. Blades give me the control to flight the ball where I need it and the ability to move the ball from right to left and left to right. I also like the "no offset" look that blades offer over many of the newer models. Another part of the blade that I prefer is the more traditional lofting of them. I know it sounds stupid, but I don't want to hit a 6 iron 220. That just means that I'm carrying 4 or 5 wedges AFTER my pitching wedge and losing the longer irons. 

Another side note,  I also like blades because everyone is scared of them. When I step on to the first tee with my blades in my bag, people get nervous. When I walk up with the Mizzy's they don't. There's something to the awe that blades deliver to others that can't be explained, but in a comp, blades are definitely something that people fear - and I like that. That may seem childish, but I'll take every competitive advantage I can take, and psyching out your opponents is one of them that comes with carrying blades.

Taking all of that into account, nothing, and I mean NOTHING feels as good as a perfectly hit blade. That's all there is to it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Before any comment about irons, the ball has changed radically. It was so much easier to shape shots with a MB and a balata ball. In all honesty hitting a straight shot was dam near impossible as everything curved some because Balata balls spun like crazy. One of the reasons Nicklaus always said find a shot shape and increase the size of the fairway.  Hitting down the center you have 50% of the fairway on either side for error, but hitting a fade or draw down one side and curving it back you have 100% fairway to work with. Same with an iron shot not a green. I played a draw back then and every shot was a draw to some degree. Fast forward to todays ball and everything changed. 

This this and this. The ball has changed not just the distances but the ability to spin the ball in different directions. It is still possible but not even close to the degree that it was with a balata, or really anything before the original PROV1

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Some of the game improvement irons aren’t playable to me. Not all but some. You have these rockets on a stick that fly high and long but that’s not what I’m looking for in my iron game. You can’t control the ball with that kind of club as well as you can a smaller forging.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually fitted into blades recently. The fitter had me try a ton of different cavity back styles but every time we came back to the blades. My dispersion and ball striking improved. For some reason they make me feel more confident that I'm not going to hit them left, than a chunkier piece of metal with more offset. Because of this I have a tendency to swing more free and fluid with them and actually increase my clubhead speed when hitting them. My final choice was the Titliest 718 mbs, but I could have went with any of the mbs and been fine.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I don't play blades but I do play smaller more compact heads (710 AP2's). The super game improvement irons and even some of the game improvement irons are just too big and clunky for my eye. I feel more confident standing over the ball with the smaller head as weird as that may sound. Should I have been playing these irons 4 years ago when I bought them? No but they have definitely made me a much better ball striker and now that I'm a much better player than I was, I love the workability of the AP2's. I could care less if I can hit another iron 10 yards longer if I can't control where it's going as much.

Driver: TS2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood: 915 F stiff
3 Hybrid: 915 HD
4-PW: 710 AP2
Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Vokey SM6
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chershey said:

I was actually fitted into blades recently. The fitter had me try a ton of different cavity back styles but every time we came back to the blades. My dispersion and ball striking improved. For some reason they make me feel more confident that I'm not going to hit them left, than a chunkier piece of metal with more offset. Because of this I have a tendency to swing more free and fluid with them and actually increase my clubhead speed when hitting them. My final choice was the Titliest 718 mbs, but I could have went with any of the mbs and been fine.

... I certainly understand having confidence in a club and that confidence often trumps technical aspects that may actually fit you better. But one thing I never quite understand in MB discussions is why anyone compares MB's to chunky metal, large headed, thick top line irons with pronounced offset. I doubt I am educating anyone but there is a large category of Players CB's and they often look virtually identical to MB's in size and shape but have some perimeter weighting which virtually 99.99% can take advantage of, especially with mid and long irons. 

• Like 4

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 Cobra SZ 18.5* ... Even Flow 75R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
              Taylor Made RBZ Tour 21.5* ... Altus 85S
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

I have played blades most of my life and last year I switched to a player’s cavity iron. Results so far have been good but trying to dial in distance has been a bit of a struggle. I convinced myself that I don’t practice nearly enough to play blades and right now I am not so sure. I am going to play my Apex MB irons tomorrow just to see what happens. For some reason looking at a smaller headed iron with less forgiveness makes me a better ball striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* AD TP 6x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 15* AD TP 7x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 18* AD MT 7x

PXG 0317 22* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 5-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5 35"

26 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

I have played blades most of my life and last year I switched to a player’s cavity iron. Results so far have been good but trying to dial in distance has been a bit of a struggle. I convinced myself that I don’t practice nearly enough to play blades and right now I am not so sure. I am going to play my Apex MB irons tomorrow just to see what happens. For some reason looking at a smaller headed iron with less forgiveness makes me a better ball striker.

Be interested in how you feel going back to trial the MB's again.

I did that a few years ago. I grew up playing blades but switched to cavity back as apparently they are more forgiving, better dispersion, better distance etc. One day brought the MP69's out and they looked fantastic at address and with strikes. I could hit easy shots or step on them as I knew how far they would go.

Had to switch back to cavity's as I wasn't playing enough and felt I need some help.

If I played 4+ times a week I would play blades all day long, especially the hi tech blades these days that are as forgiving as a blade has ever been.

• Like 1

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

5 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I did that a few years ago. I grew up playing blades but switched to cavity back as apparently they are more forgiving, better dispersion, better distance etc. One day brought the MP69's out and they looked fantastic at address and with strikes. I could hit easy shots or step on them as I knew how far they would go.

Had to switch back to cavity's as I wasn't playing enough and felt I need some help.

If I played 4+ times a week I would play blades all day long, especially the hi tech blades these days that are as forgiving as a blade has ever been.

... I think you are in Scotland, right? It is my understanding that most courses are meant to be played on the ground over there and that is a big difference from most courses in the US? Most of our courses are meant to be played in the air and carry is king. Slight mishits played with roll are different than forced carries over water, bunkers and false fronts. So irons serve quite a different purpose playing links or links style courses than typical US over watered, lush all carry courses. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 Cobra SZ 18.5* ... Even Flow 75R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
              Taylor Made RBZ Tour 21.5* ... Altus 85S
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

34 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I think you are in Scotland, right? Courses are meant to be played on the ground over there and that is a big difference from most courses in the US. Most of our courses are meant to be played in the air and carry is king. Slight mishits played with roll are different than forced carries over water, bunkers and false fronts. So irons serve quite a different purpose playing links or links style courses than typical US over watered, lush all carry courses. 

Not sure why you think that? you do know we have hundreds of exceptional parkland courses where carry is King. 

Also when you have a tight pin tucked behind a bunker even on a links course you need height, carry and spin. Low shots would just bounce thru into trouble.

The US have an outstanding record of US players winning the Open with blades, high carry and stop.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Shouldn’t have done it. Did not get to play but went out and hit the Cally blades on track man and did some gap fitting. My entire bag is going to change now as they are going back into the bag. Going Apex UT 24* with Apex MB 5-PW with 52*, 58* MD Forged and a PM Grind 64*. Top end will be the Flash SZ and Rogue SZ 3 and 5 woods. May have some Rogue Pro blacks for sale in the near future.

• Like 3

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* AD TP 6x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 15* AD TP 7x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 18* AD MT 7x

PXG 0317 22* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 5-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5 35"

Ian Fraser of TXG demonstrated something interesting in a recent video when he was testing irons.

Forgiveness can be relative to a given player. We often think of forgiveness solely from an MOI standpoint but there's also the way a player interacts the club with the ground. Some players suit a thinner sole, others a wider sole. Depends on the attack angle of the player. There's that turf interaction buzzphrase again, but it does mean something.

What it comes down to is getting properly fitted for whatever iron you end up playing. And a good fitter can make a world of difference. There's a lot more to what iron someone should be playing than just their handicap.

I certainly prefer the blade profile with less offset, I miss left... a lot. But for me, having something with some forgiveness in MOI is also important because I don't play often. So I'm looking more at 0311T or P760 style irons over a pure blade.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of why I stuck with a blade is distance. I didn't want to get a technology packed iron and then bend them stupidly weak. I hit my Ping i3 blade 6 iron 195 at standard angle. So I didn't want anymore distance.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur