oldsnick01

Why do you continue to pick blades over the forgiveness and technology packed into todays irons?

Our Sponsors

I was open to moving away from blades, but at my last fitting I got the best results from the MBs. While they were not the longest of the irons I tried, they were the most consistent and had the best launch and spin numbers.

Hey all, new here to the forums. Love this discussion. 

Don't have much experience with blades. If there is any comparable experience, for me, is that when I inherited my first set of forged CB irons. The feel was amazing and whenever I tried going back to GI irons in trying to play better golf, I just couldn't get on board with them. I admit, there may have been some mental biases against them because I loved the feel so much of forged CBs.

I absolutely love the look of blades and MBs. But looks is where I am realizing my friends are stuck on. I'm a 20 HCP and my friends are all 30+. Most have only been playing for a couple of years, but never has taken the game seriously enough to work on improving their swings. A friend of mine walked into the shop, saw a set of used MBs and fell in love with the looks. And next thing you know, he's at the register purchasing the set. He's lost a ton of distance and definitely does not have the consistency to hit them even decently, so I won't even go into dispersion. But he's so stuck on the looks, that he continues to play with them.

... I am always a little amazed at players that play MB's because they look good but don't have the ability to play them well. Kinda like new golf shoes that just look awesome but hurt your feet when you walk. This of course does not include those that don't care about score and just love playing vintage equipment knowing it is not advantageous to their game, they just enjoy playing them. 

• Like 2

Similar to one of the early posters, I've moved into a blade b/c the performance is just better FOR ME - i can't explain it, it seems to defy logic.  Whether its entirely in my head and the improved confidence has helped, i can't say.

As a 0.5 handicap, I used to play Callaway Apex Pro's and then moved to P790's 1.5 years ago... i believe i was seduced by the distance.  But, in the real world, i just never could get along with them - distances were all over the place for me, quality of strike wasn't real good, and then i'd get that occasional 7-iron that would go 195 yards... So 6 weeks ago i did a fitting again, and once again on a trackman, my gamers were just spectacular.  But the next best thing was the MP-18 musclebacks.  I decided to pick up a 2nd hand set of MP-18 MB's, and while i only have 3 rounds on them, I can't remember my iron play ever being better!!  Now, what was a strength early in the year in my Driver, is starting to get a bit squirly from time to time, but so long as I drive the ball well, i have high confidence that I'm going to hit a great iron shot.   Playing the MB's from 5-9 with a vokey 46* wedge and then still playing the 4 & 5 iron of the P790 (yes, two 5 irons, since the P790's are a full club stronger lofted in these irons).  So, in effect its a 3-PW set that i'm pretty darn happy with (other than the Vokey - i'm undecided on it)

• Like 2

First, hello MGS peeps! 🍻 

Anyhow...This is the first summer I've played blades and absolutely love them.  I'm a club ho and was getting bored with the i500's so went in to try out the blade lineup for fun.  I found out quickly that my preconceived notions about how hard they would be to hit went away after a few swings.  I also realized what I had been missing on the feel off of the face and couldn't talk myself out of getting them.  Sure, they're a bit smaller profile but it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I had expected.  Ended up getting fit into the Apex MB (6-P) and Apex Pro (4-5). 

After gaming them for 5 months I can't see myself going back to anything else, at least in the 6-P (might end up swapping the 4/5 for MBs at some point as well).  The feel is irreplaceable and getting consistent distances, especially compared the suuuuper hot face of the i500s is really nice.

• Like 2

I love blades and players forged irons. At age 67 though, my new Ping G410's are my first purchase in years that have actually lowered my handicap.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2019 at 4:29 AM, braincramp said:

I love blades and players forged irons. At age 67 though, my new Ping G410's are my first purchase in years that have actually lowered my handicap.

Huh..

one of my morning group bought a set of the g410’s and I played a round with them, and I absolutely hated them. Yuk...

so this week he showed up with his new i500’s, and I hit them this morning. They felt wayyyyy better than the g410’s. Almost felt good, but they just couldn’t match the feel of my mp5’s, although the flight was very similar. The feel of the true musclebacks just cannot be replicated. I’m a month or two in with my blades, and my index is pretty well the same so they’re not giving me a large penalty either.

but another funny thing to me is that I keep iron covers on them, so I am missing out on the “bag look”, but I don’t really like the “chatter” look, so I’m fine with that

• Like 2

On 7/11/2019 at 5:29 AM, braincramp said:

What irons were you previously playing?  I just switched from my PE2's to the G410's.  Too early to know if they will help get me into my lifelong goal of a single digit handicap... but thus far I think they are helping.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, chisag said:

... Ah Sluggo I was hanging with you but you lost me at "I would guess that more people might possible even benefit by playing blades." At WRX this is the cry of those that shouldn't be playing MB's and know it but try and justify their choice. I have fought the MB fight over there forever but it is like talking to a brick wall. You did say "quite a different animal in every way" and I feel pretty sure your opinion of your 2 irons would be radically different if you had the 68gm Recoils in the MP5/25's and the XP115's in the 790's. Additionally IF you do not have a high launch, the low spinning 790's can be problematic holding greens. I hit the ball very high with my 790's so holding greens isn't a problem here in the midwest, but in Phoenix with rock hard greens and the ball carrying farther even with a very high trajectory, I had to switch to P760's because my long irons were rolling off the back of greens, so I understand why they may not have worked for you. Of course this is used at WRX a ton too, can't make the switch from my MB's to players distance irons. While a good player certainly can adjust as golfertrb has done just the with i500's, most would do better switching to a players non distance iron that provides everything a MB does but with added forgiveness. It is up to each individual to figure out how much forgiveness is best for their game. Using Titleist as an example, some will find what works for them in the CB's, or a CB AP2 combo, full set of AP2's, AP2 and AP3 combo or a full set of MP3s. Going to AP1's would be problematic for any MB player and unnecessary to make that big of a leap. So lots of choices that do not include players distance irons unless they are desirable.

... I would add while playing shorter tee's is and should be desirable to most, better players like using all the clubs in their bag every round. My favorite course has 2 killer par 4's that call for anything form a 6 iron to a 3 wood depending on the wind and I love the challenge. I have been under par too many times to count coming into #7 a 448yd uphill the entire way, into the wind par 4 and walked away with a bogie. But the days I make par or the few times I have birdied this hole are extremely rewarding. It is a very difficult hole but fair. 

... All that said (aside from others might benefit from playing MB's) it sounds like you have found a combo set you love. I don't know where the change begins but pw-8 and 7-5/4/3 is a great way to enjoy MB's. I also think that you truly believe you play better with MB's, so there is a very good chance that you do! And I agree, the candy for the senses feel of a forged carbon steel MB is so exquisite, although my one piece 760 short irons feel exactly like a MB but I appreciate the progressive forgiveness in the 7 thru 4 irons with a thicker face than distance irons and more foam in each head as the loft decreases so they still feel very good, although admittedly not as good as the solid short irons. Keep in mind many players near scratch or better can absolutely play MB's but it is the few shots a round where they may hurt our score that can make a difference. I had 178yds into a strong quartering wind from left to right with water on both sides and subconsciously trying to guide the ball (dumb) I caught my 760 #6 iron a little on the toe. It drifted right with the wind and stopped about 5 yds short of the water and I have no doubt an MB 6 iron would have ended up in the water. I had 2 other slight miss hits that might or might not affected my score but the bulk of my shots would have been pretty much the same with MB's. So for me, one shot a round is enough to play something more forgiving. Ymmv of course. 

... I hope it didn't seem like I was attacking your choice because I am not, as you found some awesome Mizuno irons. I think this says it all "so for me, the game has become much more enjoyable now that I’ve switched back to blades" So congrats on your find and I am genuinely happy for you as you seem to really love your MP5/25 irons.  And in the end, that is really all that matters!  🤗

I am kinda late to this. But you and I have fought the same fight over there. One of the reasons I switched to older KZG forged CBs is because they are Kyoei forged and are the best feeling iron I have ever hit. Since I do not practice or play as much as I used to I need a little forgiveness. Those are more of a players CB and not a distance CB. Stock they are traditional lofts based off a 47* PW same as any of my vintage Mac blades. I hit them the same distances as my 80 VIPs but they are a little more forgiving. I did have to do some lead tape tuning with a little weight high to get the trajectory down some.  I have shot some of my best rounds this season with them. But I still play my vintage blades and persimmon quite a bit. I also have my ace in the hole IF I ever want to play comps again. I do have a set of LEGAL MP-68s I can hit too. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, chisag said:

... I am always a little amazed at players that play MB's because they look good but don't have the ability to play them well. Kinda like new golf shoes that just look awesome but hurt your feet when you walk. This of course does not include those that don't care about score and just love playing vintage equipment knowing it is not advantageous to their game, they just enjoy playing them. 

That is sorta me on the vintage end. Seriously I am probably 5 strokes better with the modern stuff. But just like you said I play my vintage stuff because I enjoy it and could care less about the score. I have had many folks over the years ask me why I mess with the antique stuff. I tell them because I can still hit that stuff and enjoy the feel and sound of a well struck Persimmon wood or a pured shot with an antique vintage iron. And yes I know you know this but I can still hit a blade 1 iron. In fact the 3 iron with the KZGs I have bent back to 18*

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:23 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Huh..

one of my morning group bought a set of the g410’s and I played a round with them, and I absolutely hated them. Yuk...

so this week he showed up with his new i500’s, and I hit them this morning. They felt wayyyyy better than the g410’s. Almost felt good, but they just couldn’t match the feel of my mp5’s, although the flight was very similar. The feel of the true musclebacks just cannot be replicated. I’m a month or two in with my blades, and my index is pretty well the same so they’re not giving me a large penalty either.

but another funny thing to me is that I keep iron covers on them, so I am missing out on the “bag look”, but I don’t really like the “chatter” look, so I’m fine with that

You would hate my MP-68s then--- I bought them used and beat up with good grooves though. They have lots of bag chatter and of course are lead taped---- But hey if that is what you like without the chatter then that is cool by me

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, Grand Stranded said:

This is such a good post. I realize due to the subject matter most of you discussing this are all really good players, but here's an older mid capper's point of view. I'm going to turn 65 in 9 days, and the last couple of years have seen a complete change in my iron/bag set up.

I've gone from 3-PW S300 steel to a 3, then a4 hybrid. From MB's to Apex's,  and then to a graphite Steelhead XR setup with a 5 hybrid, so it's been quite a ride, lol.

I just bought a set of Rogue X irons, (which I laughed at when they were released) but after watching a 9 cap win the net version of our Club Championship, and another player come in 3rd place Gross with them in the bag, I changed my thinking. I decided I wanted the most forgiving, wide soled iron I felt comfortable with.

I love everything about my new setup. The 3 new hybrids in my bag are great, the mid irons are a club longer, and the short irons are only slightly longer then my previous set, which has actually helped in spacing out my gapping. These clubs go long, high and straight, which is what I want. My hcp is dropping thanks to my improved iron play and wedge set up. 

I couldn't be happier. To each their own.... play what works for you. Getting older, playing soft courses at or below sea level, I'll take all the help I can get.

Uh huuh I see you are sorta in my neck of the woods

On 8/13/2019 at 5:06 PM, BIG STU said:

You would hate my MP-68s then--- I bought them used and beat up with good grooves though. They have lots of bag chatter and of course are lead taped---- But hey if that is what you like without the chatter then that is cool by me

That’s funny cuz one of my buddies wouldn’t be caught dead with a head cover, and feels that “chatter” is a sign of the “playah” haha.

i just think the chrome blades are so good looking that a chatter mark is like a door ding in a custom cars paint job. This goes way back to my first set of mp33’s, which were near perfect when I sold them 20 years later. And they brought an astounding selling price on eBay, shocking actually

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

That’s funny cuz one of my buddies wouldn’t be caught dead with a head cover, and feels that “chatter” is a sign of the “playah” haha.

i just think the chrome blades are so good looking that a chatter mark is like a door ding in a custom cars paint job. This goes way back to my first set of mp33’s, which were near perfect when I sold them 20 years later. And they brought an astounding selling price on eBay, shocking actually

Different strokes for different folks--------- On the custom car thing I was always a rat rod man before rat rods were cool---- All of my old Harleys were rat bikes and I mostly ran them in black primer----- I like the rat rod thing in golf too---- A older set of battered irons with new shafts and grips in a old school ratty bag------ Gotta work with the Old School Miller I found the other day at Goodwill---- That thing is over 20 years old but looks like it is brand new--- Looked to never been on a course. But time will break it in. My wife says I change bags like women change pocketbooks. Yep she is right--- Found an old TM R-7 stand bag on the pile the other day in good shape zippers and stand work got it for free--- Debating right now on whether to change my stuff over to it-----

What is funny I have an older Titleist mini staff left over from the old days in pristine shape. The tourist crowd it draws attention to. Why I do not know. I can have it standing on the corner of the porch at the club and they are drawn to look. They seem to be disappointed or shocked when they saw my typical stuff in there---- Lead taped VIPs the rusty lead taped Scotty putter some beat up lead taped 588s and what ever driver and FW I am hitting that day. Other bags do not draw attention except maybe my vintage Hoofer.

But hey I do my thing and do not care if someone else does their's

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 8:10 PM, BIG STU said:

Uh huuh I see you are sorta in my neck of the woods

Just saw this. Yes I guess we are, lol. I just got back down today, I was up on Long Island visiting family. live in Barefoot Resort, in North Myrtle.

I usually play there, but Thursday is my "travel day", I play with a group called the Flounders (usually get about 80-100 guys) most of them are from down by you. Murrels, Surfside, Pawleys, etc. Its a real nice bunch of guys. I've been in the group about 10 years.

Because we have so many, we usually book the entire course, and get good prices. For example, the next three weeks we're playing Caladonia for $59 am,Tigers Eye $45 am, then Tidewater $45... play a lot more courses on the north end now then we used to, since I brought a bunch of my Barefoot pals into the group.

• Like 1

I just got done playing an outing with two guys under 30. One of them can.... and does, drive the ball 290/300 yards... accurately. He just switched to blades. Never had a lesson or was fit for clubs. He's an insane talent and player. Ya got it .... or ya don't. Take that how you will..

• Like 6

Ego. As I am getting older I am realizing that I cannot let my ego control what type of clubs I use. I love the look of a blade. Used to play MP68’s, gave those up a few years ago, switched to the Cally XR pro for some forgiveness and boy did that work, then I thought I can play some better “players” irons, so I switched to the MP-18 SC which have been very nice, but i have seen my GIR stat go from 9-10 down to 4-5. That’s just not good and no where near where I want to go. I thought that I would be better with the cool looking irons, (Ego), but I have realized that I am not better I am far worse. So I will be moving on and trying something new. Looking at some AP3 irons as they are right in the middle of players and GI categories. I’m not a titleist guy, but if they will help my game I have to at least try. So long Ego. 

• Like 3

Okay, I’ll chime in. I went with a more forgiving iron when I returned last year to playing. While I tried out several newer models I already owned some Ben Hogan CFT’s I bought new in 2004(or thereabouts). I needed graphite shafts because of an elbow injury and installed these on Project X PXv 6.0.

For those that don’t know the CFT was a forged stainless body iron with a compressed forged titanium face. Other than weaker lofts than the newer clubs, these are quite forgiving and have a very hot face.

But as I was getting more rust knocked off my game, I found that while this type of club is great for full swings, the delicate shots around the greens are more problematic. The ball came off with a pop and lots of spin. So I broke out the old Scor wedges and soon replace my PW (or E in Hoganese) with a Scor 46. Then the 9 iron with a Scor 42.

This soon proved to be very advantageous for my short game. So much so that I replaced my 6-PW with Hogan Ft Worth 15’s. I now have the CFT 3-5 and Ft Worth 15’s in 29-33-37-41-45. And will replace my 50-55-60 Scors with TK15’s when the time arises. I may replace the CFT’s with Ft Worth HI’s, but currently there is no need.

I have played Mizuno MP FLI HI’s for years in the 2-3-4 irons. The old Hogan CFT long irons are higher, longer, and more spin. Basically they are the same lofts just have the numbers 3-4-5 on them.

The bladed Ft Worth 15’s feel scalpels to me while the others feel like an axe. Inside say 170 yards I want to feel like I have the scalpel to cut down the flag. Outside that, I want an axe for forgiveness.

Even more importantly is when I miss the green I want those different scalpels so I can control the flight to roll and the distance the ball travels on the chips. I’m a firm believer in “The Rule of 12”. (Pace from the flag to the ball and the ball to a pace on the green. Total 16 steps to flag and 4 to the green, then 16/4=4. 12-4 is 8. Read the green like a putt and pick a spot where you have to land the ball and focus just on how hard to hit it to get to that spot. If it is just 2 steps to the green and 16 to the flag it is a 6 iron.)

Blades to me are also more reliable on the partial shots. I injured my shoulder and elbow last year and could only make 3/4 swings. My accuracy greatly improved by making just partial swings. I can make full swings now, but rarely make more than a 3/4 swing inside 175.

Sure, 1 time today I was in the deep rough and would have benefited from a more forgiving club, but I may also have caught a flier and gone in the lake. As it was, I had club I felt more comfortable using around the green. If I would have hit a straighter drive I wouldn’t have needed more forgiveness.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2