Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why do you continue to pick blades over the forgiveness and technology packed into todays irons?

oldsnick01

3 hours ago, braincramp said:

I play Wilson Staff blades because they're so darn pretty!! Honestly my game from 100 yards in is just better with blades. Chipping and wide soles just doesn't work for me. 

Those staff blades are pretty 

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

I have tried everything literally...

Titleist 695 MB, 710 MB

Mizuno MP-9 and MP-32

PXG Gen 3 O311T

Srixon Z785

Honma TW-X

New Level 623M

Ping Eye through Zing

Callaway Big Bertha through Apex

The players irons are so much better to look at from the topline, have less and cleaner turf interaction, and way tighter dispersion.

With the Honma TW-X I could hit an 8 iron 175 yards (the one that hit perfect) and it could also go 145 yards.

With my New Level my 8 irons going between 155-162 and thats about it.  I would give anything for a tighter yardage dispersion!  Plus how do you beat the feel of soft carbon steel from a well hit shot???  Also, it makes you have to work on your game and I appreciate that.  You cant get sloppy and expect results.

9 hours ago, Hotdocta said:

Those staff blades are pretty 

I went a couple of times and had decided pretty much on getting Mizuno MP20's when I spotted a Wilson Staff blade. After hitting both with several different shafts I picked the Wilsons. I'm not sure why but I got a hair more distance out of the Wilsons. You couldn't go wrong with either iron though.

wilson2.jpg

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

4 hours ago, braincramp said:

I went a couple of times and had decided pretty much on getting Mizuno MP20's when I spotted a Wilson Staff blade. After hitting both with several different shafts I picked the Wilsons. I'm not sure why but I got a hair more distance out of the Wilsons. You couldn't go wrong with either iron though.

wilson2.jpg

Yummy 

blades always look better don’t they?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

13 hours ago, braincramp said:

wilson2.jpg

Wow, lucky I had my pants on

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

Because I love my driving iron. Ancient Mizuno Pro 2 iron bent 2° strong. Not only does it get me in the fairway, but if i am in trouble, there is no club I can carve more with. It gets through anything, and the only time I hit it in a fairway is when I am taking a risk and going for it on a 600yd+ par 5. I would love a modern version of it, but I have trouble getting stores to even order me the MP-20 with the shaft I need. 

Is it highly practical? I dunno, probably not. I am sure a modern utility club could do much of the same, but it is a confidence thing. Out of the woods, in the tall grass, or into the strong wind I know I can get out of the situation. I just cannot get the utility irons low like I can my blade. 

• 4 weeks later...

Iron play and ball striking have never been a concern of mine. I don't need to look at an iron that is larger to instal confidence. I Hit the ball high already and when I have tired some more GI Heads I noticed even higher flight. My goal when I do replace irons is to get something that keeps yardages and flight as close to the same and to address holes I feel are in that part of my game..