Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Distance/Game improvement and spin

revkev

Last year Chisag started a topic about how Player's Distance irons are here to stay.  I have little doubt that he is right.  However at the same time I noticed through our MGS tests and Most Wanted data that the clubs in this category do not spin well.  The same might be said of Game Improvement irons. 

Both find their stopping power from two factors, high launch leading to a favorable angle of dissent and the fact that most courses have soft greens. 

However I think that I have chink a hole in the armor of these categories - although I don't believe that chink is such that it would move me away it will probably cause me to rethink this particular shot.  It also illustrates how far my ball striking had sunk and how SuperSpeed doesn't only benefit driver SS.  It helps overall ball striking.

Here goes:  With improved ball striking I'm finding that I have far better trajectory control.  Most especially I am able to hit any sort of shot that I want with my middle irons - draw, fade, high, low.  I would never use a fade in competition unless it was to get out of trouble but I've got it on the range.  I would most certainly use a low or knock down shot.  In fact there was a time when it was one of my staples, keep it under the wind, control the distance with my short irons, hit that shot rather frequently once.  Sunday I found myself with 143 into a 10 plus mph right to left wind with a middle back placement.  I would not have reached with an 8 and if I put 7 up in the air it was going to still be drawing under those wind conditions.  So I went with the knock down shot.  I hit it perfectly or so I though - our greens however are firm and although I hit short of the pin the lack of trajectory and lack of spin because its a GI caused it to carom over the back of the green.  I flushed the ball so it was not me.

Has anyone else experienced this with either Players Distance or GI clubs?  If so how do you handle that shot?  I think if I had it to do again I'd try the fade into the wind - just hold it up a bit.  I'm going to start working on that unless I see something else here that strikes my fancy.

Thanks for indulging me.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't and haven't really gamed GI or even players distance clubs, but the first thing that springs to mind is that it all depends on what it looks like in front of the green and where the pin is at. I wouldn't be afraid to run it up to the green if required and there is the ability to do so. Otherwise, I think I'd just try to hit a normal-ish trajectory if I'm worried it won't hold the green due to lack of spin.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I went from MP-64's to P790's. When I got fitted for the 790's there was an 1000 rpm difference and 3* launch angle difference, all lower, with them. It was a little frightening to pull the trigger on ordering them due to this. I have played them for just over a year and on the course there is no difference in stopping distance. They stop just as well as the MP-64's. I don't have any experience within the GI category.

My question to you is was this just one shot or are you seeing a pattern?

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

4 hours ago, revkev said:

So I went with the knock down shot.  I hit it perfectly or so I though - our greens however are firm and although I hit short of the pin the lack of trajectory and lack of spin because its a GI caused it to carom over the back of the green.  I flushed the ball so it was not me.

A 10 mph wind breeze is normal where I live. I prefer a firm green - not hard but firm. Soft greens are awful IMO. Like playing on a mattress. I too am fairly proficient with the knock-down as playing conditions here almost demand you learn it. I'm a little surprised at your results Rev. Playing into a wind will increase spin and quite dramatically. Perhaps your stroke wasn't as good as you thought?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Rev, as you described a R-L wind isn't going to help spin with your normal shot shape.  I am a little surprised you couldn't get there with a 8i.  Maybe it doesn't affect spin as much with higher swing speeds than I have, but that wind, like downwind, seems to kill any spin I can put on the ball.  My approach shots are usually pretty straight; I have better luck getting spin with a L-R wind.

Two years ago I went to the Bridgestone JGR Forged Hybrid Irons.  They are SGI, and I gained a lot of distance over my Ping i20 irons.  But they don't spin quite as much; not that the i20's spun a lot anyway.  I got used to them.  Our greens are quite firm most of the year; sometimes I can't even find my ball mark.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You guys frequently refer to the "players", "game", "super game" improvement categories when discussing irons.  The only place I've seen a comprehensive list of these groups by mfg./model is MPF database.  Is this generally considered the one stop, final authority on what category irons fall into?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

You guys frequently refer to the "players", "game", "super game" improvement categories when discussing irons.  The only place I've seen a comprehensive list of these groups by mfg./model is MPF database.  Is this generally considered the one stop, final authority on what category irons fall into?

Not really, I don't read to much into their data, it's a good starting point but the numbers they have can lie. You can usually tell a players from a GI or SGI by looking at, sole width, top line thickness, offset, and blade length. By combining those 4 factors, you can generally tell what category irons fall into. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

@Plaid - maybe but I’m pretty good at assessing how I’ve struck the ball -

I appreciate the feed back - I think it’s something I need to play with a bit to get a feel for the run out. This time of year our greens are firm, it’s why we have a number of pros as members and a bunch of Canadian tour guys come down to prep for their season on our course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don’t think there is a comprehensive list. Even the MGS most wanted list is questioned on why a club is in a particular category. The best way is to look on each OEM site and see how they categorize. I am testing GI irons and can say they the profiles are vastly different between some of the models.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived