TESTERS WANTED! ×

F8+ 75g shaft advice

azstu324

I've looked all over MGS and couldn't seem to find anything addressing this topic. 

So in one of my most recent "what did you buy" posts, I was showing off my King LTD Black driver. Well after about 3 weeks of very enjoyed ownership, the spaceport window thingy ended up snapping off completely leaving the threaded part jammed and unable to be removed. I contacted Cobra, got a return auth # and sent it in.. Well in the same day that they received the driver, they determined that they would just replace it with an F8+!!!!!!!!!!!!! (#Cobraistotallybadass!)

Now.. I'm just patiently waiting for the club to come like a kid waiting for Santa.. Except my Santa will be donning a uniform of white, purple, and orange (FedEx). 

My question to y'all who are familiar with the F8+ head is: have any of you had success with a heavier shaft? I'm considering something around a 78g range. https://www.golfworks.com/ust-mamiya-proforce-vts-shaft-special/p/us0111/  to be more specific. X flex Black. My objective is to attempt to keep swing weight around D3 and length around 45.5" if possible. I've also got my eye on a Diamana diamana kai'li 70 x5ct (I know it's a tad outdated but it's always been a great shaft). I know there are always options of replacing the head weights. My current shaft is a UST Elements Chrome S++ Flex at 44" so slightly lighter than the posted 66g. I believe that Cobra will be sending back swing weighted to D2 so whatever head weight they'll be adding will likely need to be replaced. I know that adding heavier shafts can sometimes cause issues with swing weight so I just wanted to see how easy/difficult it may end up being. 

I'm always open ears/eyes to hear what folks have done that worked.. or didn't, before taking the plunge on a new venture. 

Thanks as always! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

19 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I've looked all over MGS and couldn't seem to find anything addressing this topic. 

So in one of my most recent "what did you buy" posts, I was showing off my King LTD Black driver. Well after about 3 weeks of very enjoyed ownership, the spaceport window thingy ended up snapping off completely leaving the threaded part jammed and unable to be removed. I contacted Cobra, got a return auth # and sent it in.. Well in the same day that they received the driver, they determined that they would just replace it with an F8+!!!!!!!!!!!!! (#Cobraistotallybadass!)

Now.. I'm just patiently waiting for the club to come like a kid waiting for Santa.. Except my Santa will be donning a uniform of white, purple, and orange (FedEx). 

My question to y'all who are familiar with the F8+ head is: have any of you had success with a heavier shaft? I'm considering something around a 78g range. https://www.golfworks.com/ust-mamiya-proforce-vts-shaft-special/p/us0111/  to be more specific. X flex Black. My objective is to attempt to keep swing weight around D3 and length around 45.5" if possible. I've also got my eye on a Diamana diamana kai'li 70 x5ct (I know it's a tad outdated but it's always been a great shaft). I know there are always options of replacing the head weights. My current shaft is a UST Elements Chrome S++ Flex at 44" so slightly lighter than the posted 66g. I believe that Cobra will be sending back swing weighted to D2 so whatever head weight they'll be adding will likely need to be replaced. I know that adding heavier shafts can sometimes cause issues with swing weight so I just wanted to see how easy/difficult it may end up being. 

I'm always open ears/eyes to hear what folks have done that worked.. or didn't, before taking the plunge on a new venture. 

Thanks as always! 

As part of the #cobraconnectchallenge last year I ordered My F8+ with the Project X Hzrdus Red 75g shaft, I put the same shaft in my F8+ 3wd also... It allowed me to increase my avg. distance off the tee to 261 with a long of 301, and I hit several 3wds off the deck in the 255-260 range, with accuracy. Just my thoughts, I shot my lowest score ever (78) hitting 12 for 12 Fairways and 13 of 18 GIRs.  It works well FOR me.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

As part of the #cobraconnectchallenge last year I ordered My F8+ with the Project X Hzrdus Red 75g shaft, I put the same shaft in my F8+ 3wd also... It allowed me to increase my avg. distance off the tee to 261 with a long of 301, and I hit several 3wds off the deck in the 255-260 range, with accuracy. Just my thoughts, I shot my lowest score ever (78) hitting 12 for 12 Fairways and 13 of 18 GIRs.  It works well FOR me.. 
Out of curiosity, do you know what your swing weight was and if any sole weights were changed from the original? Thx for the feedback! I'm probably looking at a Diamana Kai'li 70g x5ct XS and playing at 45.5" should be getting the club back tomorrow and I don't want to wait any time getting it dialed in.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

MAXFLI  Tour CG

25 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Out of curiosity, do you know what your swing weight was and if any sole weights were changed from the original? Thx for the feedback! I'm probably looking at a Diamana Kai'li 70g x5ct XS and playing at 45.5" should be getting the club back tomorrow and I don't want to wait any time getting it dialed in.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Stock it comes as a D2. And the Weights have not been changed just moved to the low spin configuration. it plays at 45.25" and I have started gripping down a little for better dispersion. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I have the F8+ at 44.75", with HZRDUS black 6.5 75g. I also swapped in the 8g weight for the 2g dummy weight to get the SW back up to (over?) D2. Unfortunately I don't have the swing weight measurement for this setup.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

On 3/13/2019 at 9:12 AM, Reesedw said:

Stock it comes as a D2. And the Weights have not been changed just moved to the low spin configuration. it plays at 45.25" and I have started gripping down a little for better dispersion. 

It's funny because I started another thread regarding playing a shorter driver and asking if it didn't help certain folks. For the past few years I've always had my driver cut to 44" and then re-weighted to around D3. It just ended up being something that I did a while back that seemed to work.. probably based on something I read on MGS somewhere 😛 but now as I'm improving my swing mechanics and increasing swing speed, I'm finding that the shorter driver no longer works for me. I'm finding more and more pulls to about 30 yds left of target. Hence the need to go back to 45.5" ish.. but trying to keep SW in the D2-D3 range. I'm also nearly 6'3" so I think a longer driver probably does suit me better. I've got a shaft that I'm buying from a guy tomorrow for $20. It's an older "real deal" Diamana Kai'li 70 5Xct raw at about 44.7/8". I've got the new club being delivered today with my original shaft so I'm curious to see if Cobra included any extra weights or heavier weights to meet my preferred swing weight. I told them what my plans were so time will tell. If anything I can probably just swap out whatever weights at the PGATSS as they're pretty good about stuff like that. 

Oh 3:30 can't come quick enough today!!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Archived