chisag

Cobra F9 Speedback Driver Review

34 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Out of curiosity, what loft are you playing at?

... It took quite awhile to dial my F9 in, because of the long 3 day drive combined with cold temps my back never loosened up and I just wasn't swinging freely. Seems like we couldn't get more than 2 days in a row of 70* temps. But a few weeks ago it got warm and I was able to play 10 days in a row in warm sunny temps so I was able to get thru several shafts and loft combo's. Surprising to me, I have ended up playing my 10.5* head with the adaptor at -1.0 so 9.5* with the Atmos Blue stiff flex shaft at tour length and 18gm weight in the rear. I'll be 66 next week and combined with the fast desert fairways I had 3 drives over 300 yds last week, leaving me a 5 iron to 3 wood into the par 5's. I have measured what I thought were quite a few "300yd drives" the last few years with Arcos and almost every time they turned out to be 280-290 because tee or pin placements made the hole shorter than the yardage on the scorecard. And the F9 3 wood is just as good as the driver. 

• Like 6

I not only want an F9 I want to pay chasig for publishing his review. For me it was a long read but it held my interest the entire 2 hours. LOL

Very well done indeed!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I not only want an F9 I want to pay chasig for publishing his review. For me it was a long read but it held my interest the entire 2 hours. LOL

Very well done indeed!

... LOL, thanks Plaid. I try and write reviews that I want to read. I like the technical information if explained and want some personal experience sprinkled in as well as insight from the Engineers that design the clubs. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It took quite awhile to dial my F9 in, because of the long 3 day drive combined with cold temps my back never loosened up and I just wasn't swinging freely. Seems like we couldn't get more than 2 days in a row of 70* temps. But a few weeks ago it got warm and I was able to play 10 days in a row in warm sunny temps so I was able to get thru several shafts and loft combo's. Surprising to me, I have ended up playing my 10.5* head with the adaptor at -1.0 so 9.5* with the Atmos Blue stiff flex shaft at tour length and 18gm weight in the rear. I'll be 66 next week and combined with the fast desert fairways I had 3 drives over 300 yds last week, leaving me a 5 iron to 3 wood into the par 5's. I have measured what I thought were quite a few "300yd drives" the last few years with Arcos and almost every time they turned out to be 280-290 because tee or pin placements made the hole shorter than the yardage on the scorecard. And the F9 3 wood is just as good as the driver. 

Nice! I usually find the most success right around 10* as well with my swing. Great write-up again. Can't wait for your F10 review 😂

• Like 1

Nice....

f8 fairway will probably be my next buy one of these days... although my 816 big Bertha alpha is still good.

great write up Chisag...

• Like 1

Great write-up @chisag! I've had a few swings with the F9 but not at all optimized and it's damn impressive, even in stock form. 

• Like 1

... Fwiw, I rarely recommend demoing and then trading in or upgrading last years driver for this years driver. My reviews usually are targeted to players with clubs that are 2-5 years old and maybe it's time for a new one. That said I thought the Launcher with the first aftermarket stock Fujikura premium shaft, the SLDR in higher lofts, Fly Z with an 18gm weight and the original Epic with jailbreak were all must upgrades because I thought they took a leap forward in performance. And now the F9 joins their ranks. 

• Like 3

Thank you but damn you Chisag. Hitting it Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Haha 1

WOW that was loaded with great info! 🏌️♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Great write up @chisag. I got mine in the mail Friday and am hoping to get on a Sim to get it dialed in soon. It looks amazing in the black/yellow colorway!

P.S. I hope the balls treated you well!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Great write up @chisag. I got mine in the mail Friday and am hoping to get on a Sim to get it dialed in soon. It looks amazing in the black/yellow colorway!

P.S. I hope the balls treated you well!

... Very well thank you. Have fun dialing it your F9! 

If you're new to this board, anytime @chisag has something to say, folks should listen up. Awesome review for the F9. Truly fantastic stuff once again. I'd love to demo a lefty 9.5 and 10.5 just to see what would fit the swing best. If you're noticing that kind of distance gain on the F9, it tells me Cobra is on to something. 

If you need a warmer place to play, we'll gladly get some guys together to play here in the Houston area. It's spring this week, followed by a winter weekend followed by another week of spring. I imagine it will be close to summer in a few weeks and we will all be able to emerge from the hibernation of cold (upper 50s for us wusses in Texas) weather golf. 

• Like 4

Ugggh...I got an F8+ at the end of last season...Probably not worth the cost, but posts like this make me want to buy/try the F9.

Chisag great review!  I hit the F9 and wanted it to be the driver for me, it just wasn't.  The numbers were just not there for me, I spun it too much.  I am however intrigued by Arccos, can you elaborate more on it?  I agree that we all think we hit the ball 300 yards but in reality its more like 240.  Have you tried the Arccos in any of your irons?  If not, have you thought about using it?

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 3:17 PM, PlaidJacket said:

Very well done indeed!

🤣🤣  I couldn't find an emoji with coffee coming out of the nose, so those will have to do.

Not two minutes before I saw this I thought, "if I get selected for a review, I think I am going to pay @chisag to write it for me".

• Like 2

Great to hear you're loving the F9 @chisag.  Heck, I even did TrueGolfFit and it recommended the Cobra F9 for me, but every time I demoed it, including one fitting with multiple shafts, I just couldn't get any consistency.

I love cobra and after absolutely loving the F8+, i thought the F9 would give me the ballspeed the F8+ was lacking.  Well while I got the ball speed increases, with it came inconsistent spin numbers and a ball that just wanted to go left.  I was heartbroken.  I was ready to open my wallet, but the performance just wasn't there for me with it.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2019 at 4:08 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

Chisag great review!  I hit the F9 and wanted it to be the driver for me, it just wasn't.  The numbers were just not there for me, I spun it too much.  I am however intrigued by Arccos, can you elaborate more on it?  I agree that we all think we hit the ball 300 yards but in reality its more like 240.  Have you tried the Arccos in any of your irons?  If not, have you thought about using it?

... Arccos is pretty strait forward. It tracks how far you hit any given shot. Pays no attention to wind, slopes or speed of fairways so like a box on a scorecard asking for a score, it just gives you a number. The eye opener is it tracks distance as the crow flies. With a phone in your front pocket using the Arccos app, you just hit your drive (shot) and when you take your next shot, Arccos GPS measures that distance. I have never used it in my irons but I know my distances so I have never considered it. If you do not know your distances and do not hit your irons consistently, I could se where it might be very useful. Mid to higher index players tend to choose their irons by the distance of their best shots, not their average shot. So learning how far you average with your irons could be very beneficial. 

• Like 2