TESTERS WANTED! ×

“Ninety percent of putts that are short don’t go in.”

I've always liked that quote from Yogi Berra. It also is painfully evident to my golf game that I need to pay more attention to it. I've noticed over the years that  I tend to leave more putts short than I roll long. It is something that I haven't paid too much attention to, just aware that I should try to get putts to the hole more often.

Watching golf for many many hours this weekend I decided to count how many putts the pro's left short... it turns out, that unless they are outside 25', they don't. They always get it to the hole, go figure.

Checking my Shot Scope putting data... I manage to leave 72% !!! of my putts short. This has gone from minor thought in the back of my mind to 5 alarm fire that I need to address now. I have a new goal in golf, 0 putts per round left short. I have to trust that I can make the 4' come back putt.

I don't know how many of you out there suffer from this same issue. But I challenge all of you to never leave a putt short. If you need to say it in a very marine sounding voice akin to never leaving a man behind, then please do. 

Let me know if you can successfully pull this off. Apparently, I am only 14 putts/round from success....

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Just follow the advice of Yogi. That's all you need to know.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Oh yeah .. good distance control on putts is just one of the many things that separates we mortals from the pros on TV....

Are you leaving the flagstick in? Studies show 😉 it can help, especially on long putts - so try to hit the stick!

Anyway... Practice practice practice practice. And then some more practice, really working on lagging balls to the fringe and/or to random spots on the practice green. Oh and also the "Ladder" drill.

And if that doesn't help, well.....change putters... 😆😆😆

Oh, PS: yeah I leave plenty short and yeah it's frustrating.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

My nemisis!  Always been a die it in the hole type of putter, even though I know I need to be more aggressive.  What the mind tells you and what the body does are not always in harmony.  Seems like when I practice, I'm fine but when the putt is on the line I'm not as well disciplined.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

It depends on how long your putt is. Short and medium range yes, but I will take a long putt being short all day long if the next putt is within my make range.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

My nemisis!  Always been a die it in the hole type of putter, even though I know I need to be more aggressive.  What the mind tells you and what the body does are not always in harmony.  Seems like when I practice, I'm fine but when the putt is on the line I'm not as well disciplined.  

Same here.  I have great confidence and results on lag putts but, once inside that 3 foot circle of terror, my make percentage continues to be problematic.  I think it comes down to confidence - being able to drive them into the back of the cup.  Pros have that confidence, the vast majority of us mere mortals do not.  The fear of having to make a subsequent 2 footer is real. So, we approach these short putts with apprehension and not with the same level of confidence as longer putts.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

My speed control is not good, but I never practice it, so it’s highly unlikely it will improve!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Same here.  I have great confidence and results on lag putts but, once inside that 3 foot circle of terror, my make percentage continues to be problematic.  I think it comes down to confidence - being able to drive them into the back of the cup.  Pros have that confidence, the vast majority of us mere mortals do not.  The fear of having to make a subsequent 2 footer is real. So, we approach these short putts with apprehension and not with the same level of confidence as longer putts.  

Most knee knockers (2-3 footers) don't really bother me much.  It's those mid range putts 5-15 feet that get to me the most. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

Speed control has always been a big issue for me. Going to try and take a little feel out of long putts this year and be more conscious of how far I bring the putter back for 30 or 40 footers on the practice green before a round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Get you a 3’ putting circle from eyeline or something similar and setup on the practice green. Grab 20 (4 locations 5 ball each) balls and set them up at 12,3,6,9 starting at 12’ and place one 3’ further back on same line. Then putt all the balls at 12’ then 15’ and so on. The goal is to have 10 balls minimum finish inside the circle. 

Repeat the drill using 4 different locations.

another drill is to get 8 balls and plane them at 4 and 5’ at 4 locations and samething putt all 4’ then all 5’ goal is to make 6 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Most knee knockers (2-3 footers) don't really bother me much.  It's those mid range putts 5-15 feet that get to me the most. 

I'm just the opposite.  The further out the more confident and I end up past the hole almost as often as short.

Oh... putting...

My putting was so bad a few years ago that I’d purposely miss the green so I could chip instead. Worked great for my “scrambling” practice but instead of working on the problem (putting) I let it get worse.

Put a few hours of practice in and what do you know, my putting improved. Not sure on my stats for leaving them short, I’d probably say .500? If the snow ever melts I’ll pay attention this year.

I want to add, lots of you have talked about the ladder drill, or getting putts inside a hula hoop. And those are the things I have practiced. One of the reasons I've never thought too much about leaving putts short is that I rarely 3 putt and generally my distance control is within a foot or two, just constantly a foot or two short. 

So lag putting is what I've practiced, and do pretty good at. I just need to lag it 3 feet past the hole from now on. 

Glad I'm not the only one Yogi is speaking to. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

90% ? I don't get it 🙄

100% of putts I leave short don't go in.

I have found that if you say to yourself "dont be short, dont be short" just before you putt you will inevitably leave it short. It's as if your brain only hears "be short"

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I've found that if I use an intermediate target for alignment, I tend to leave putts short.  When I focus on that target, I'm also imprinting the distance to that target on my mind.  I now try to choose a target that is pin high or just past, which helps me to imprint both distance and line when I'm getting set up.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'll add one more thing. Just leave the pin in all the time. You'll make everything. Right? LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I noticed that I was leaving my putts short last season and after some advice from my wife, I realized that I was leaving the majority of my weight on my back foot.  There is no way to consistently get the ball to the hole if your weight is shifting to your back foot or staying there period.

I began truly focusing on feeling like 75% of my weight was on my front foot, and this really helped me get the ball to the hole more consistently.  Make sure you check on those feelings in your stance to make sure that you are not setting yourself up to leave the putt short with fundamentals that are out of sync.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

18 hours ago, CarlH said:

..same here..........

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

8 hours ago, palvord said:

I noticed that I was leaving my putts short last season and after some advice from my wife

A wife that provides golf tips... now that's a bonus!  

Haha, not really. Mine gives advice like don’t play, don’t buy more golf crap, you love golf more than me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

We're talking about golf right?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I thought I married Miss Right.....found out she was Miss Always Right.  <grinning, ducking, and running>

I am always leaving putts a few revs short when I'm on. When I can't find the speed of the greens I tend to be all over the place. One thing I did find out is I'm better at 5 footers coming back rather than the 4 footers that I leave short. Think it has to do with me seeing the line already.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Oh yeah. Leaving putts short is a big problem  for me, or at least was. Since switching to a firmer faced putter, I am starting to see that I am actually getting the putt to and past the hole, I don’t feel I am consistent enough to say that leaving putts short is no longer a problem, but I am headed the right direction. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 2 weeks later...

... "99% of putts that come up short don't go in. You have to roll it past the hole". My father in law said this to me several times until I finally had to remind him 100% of putts that all past the hole don't go in either. It isn't a secret that a perfect putt should roll 18" past the hole if it misses. This gives most players their best chance of making putts because it takes into account anomalies on the green, volcano round the cup and of course putts coming up short. If you can be aggressive and putt past the hole you are in the best position for success UNLESS 

... You are a die putter. Some of us are just wired to die the ball in the hole. When I went thru a putter fitting many years ago I was told to roll the ball past the hole. After rolling what seemed like 100 putts my putting guru said to forget abut rolling the ball past the hole. My contact was near perfect die'ing the ball in the hole as was my speed control. Forcing myself to go against what mentally works for me was counter productive and my contact suffered as ell as my speed control. I was told I will make more putts with the ball falling in from the side than I would trying to go against my instincts and roll the ball past the hole. I have great feel for the hole but very little feel rolling it well past.

... As others have stated already, confidence is key. If you come up short every now and then even with a short putt, but make more than your share and have excellent speed control, don't worry about leaving occasional putts short. For everyone else if you are coming up short consistently, practice practice practice. A good drill is laying down a club with the shaft just in front of the hole so you have to hit your putt hard enough to bump over the shaft and still go in. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I've always been a die it in the hole putter and no matter how much I try to be more aggressive, my comfort zone is to die it in the hole.  If I try to hit it firmer, my path goes awry.  Preshot, I think past the hole and even aim at a point beyond the hole, but my brain resets during the stroke to the speed to get to the hole, not past it.  

I have my buddy trained to remind me to leave everything long, and I still can't do it.  I very rarely roll past the hole.  I can tell myself all I want that long is OK, it doesn't change the result.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

11 hours ago, 00sportsman said:

I have my buddy trained to remind me to leave everything long, and I still can't do it.  I very rarely roll past the hole.  I can tell myself all I want that long is OK, it doesn't change the result.

I know you can't make them if you leave them short as opposed to hitting it long and the hole ending up in the path, but I also wonder about 3 putt avoidance. I missed about 3-4 putts within 2 feet  (well within gimme range) the last round, but all were 20-25 footers. I'm not sure if I have the touch to add 2 feet vs blowing it by 6 feet and having to make 4 and 5 foot comeback putts. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived