TESTERS WANTED! ×

Legendary golf writer Dan Jenkins passes away at 89

romeopapazulu

Dan Jenkins passed away last week at the young age of 89.  I certainly can't do his six decade career any justice, so I won't attempt to.  The link below pulls together many of the tributes from within the golf industry.  I am sure most of us have been entertained by some of his work over the years.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-pays-tribute-late-hall-fame-writer-dan-jenkins-social-media

As I was reading through some of these articles, something about his name really rung a bell.  I have read through the list of his books, and I don't think I have owned nor remember reading one of them.  I know he wrote for Sports Illustrated for a long time, but I would just occasionally read through those when at the doctor's office.  The only thing from SI that sticks out in my memory is the Go Figure section. 

When I was a kid, my dad would get suits from a guy at church when he upgraded his wardrobe.  One time, a "new" suit came with a grocery bag full of golf magazines.  I think they were mostly Golf Digest and Golf Magazine, but there were surely some others in there.  It didn't take long for me to decide that Golf Digest was the best magazine ever.  I am pretty certain this was due to the humor column that I recall being in the last few pages of each issue.  This was the greatest sports/humor writing that I had ever come across.  I've done some searching on the interweb, and I can't find a single example of the contents or even a table of contents from Golf Digest from what I am guessing was '87 to maybe '90.  I can read every page of SI all the way back to 1950 it seems.  I see that Dan Jenkins had a column at Golf Digest that seems to cover that period, but short of heading to the library and remembering how to use that microfiche machine, I haven't found anything.  

Anyone have some 30 year old Golf Digests laying around that could sneak a peak?  Or have a really good memory who would have written that column during that period?

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Dan Jenkins passed away last week at the young age of 89.  I certainly can't do his six decade career any justice, so I won't attempt to.  The link below pulls together many of the tributes from within the golf industry.  I am sure most of us have been entertained by some of his work over the years.
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-pays-tribute-late-hall-fame-writer-dan-jenkins-social-media
As I was reading through some of these articles, something about his name really rung a bell.  I have read through the list of his books, and I don't think I have owned nor remember reading one of them.  I know he wrote for Sports Illustrated for a long time, but I would just occasionally read through those when at the doctor's office.  The only thing from SI that sticks out in my memory is the Go Figure section. 
When I was a kid, my dad would get suits from a guy at church when he upgraded his wardrobe.  One time, a "new" suit came with a grocery bag full of golf magazines.  I think they were mostly Golf Digest and Golf Magazine, but there were surely some others in there.  It didn't take long for me to decide that Golf Digest was the best magazine ever.  I am pretty certain this was due to the humor column that I recall being in the last few pages of each issue.  This was the greatest sports/humor writing that I had ever come across.  I've done some searching on the interweb, and I can't find a single example of the contents or even a table of contents from Golf Digest from what I am guessing was '87 to maybe '90.  I can read every page of SI all the way back to 1950 it seems.  I see that Dan Jenkins had a column at Golf Digest that seems to cover that period, but short of heading to the library and remembering how to use that microfiche machine, I haven't found anything.  
Anyone have some 30 year old Golf Digests laying around that could sneak a peak?  Or have a really good memory who would have written that column during that period?
He definitely wrote a back page column for GD, and wrote full articles for the majors if memory serves. His full novels were astonishingly funny and I read every one I could get my hands on. Dead Solid Perfect was obviously the famous golf one, but his football novels Semi Tough and its follow up Life Its Ownself were my personal favorites

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Archived