TESTERS WANTED! ×

Vice vs. Snell

Bbaum215

I made the switch to vice two years ago and have shot some of the best rounds of my life playing the vice pro plus. I have noticed no distance difference between the vice and the taylormade tour preferred x that I played prior to. Want to see if anyone else out there has been playing the vice and your thoughts and how does the vice pro plus compare to the smell mtb black. 

Tried them both. I'm a Snell fan, so my opinion may be slightly biased. I feel the black spins less off the tee than the pro, and certainly more into the greens. That's not surprising, because snells entire philosophy on ball design starts from the green back. It's softer feeling too.

Of course these are just one man's opinions, I have no other data to back up them up. In the end, it's what works best for you. I continue to play the black.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I feel both balls perform similarly, but the MTB  Black is more durable. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

IMO and depending on your skill level it's not going to matter much if any what ball you play as long as....*  Look I'm not an expert golfer by any means but I carry a fairly low single digit hcp. So I'm an OK golfer I suppose and I've been playing for 50 years there about. I can score my best (and worst) rounds with any top quality - urethane cover ball. I do this regularly. Doesn't matter if it's a Snell, Titleist, Chrome, TP, MG, etc., etc. There are still others. They're all very good. For any of us regular hackers you're aren't going to turn into Joe Pro simply by playing a Titleist PV or TP5 for example over a Snell or Vice. Quick story: I recently shot a mid-70's round playing a Titleist Tru-Soft I'd found. It's a budget ball without a urethane cover. How can that be? Would I have broken par if only I'd played a more expensive ball with a urethane cover. How about a Snell or Vice? Seriously doubt it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

What he said ^^^^^^^^^ .     They're all good.  At our level of play, it boils down to personal preference. I don't think I'm capable of discerning any significant difference between the higher end golf balls (and that includes Vice and Snell).  I might "sense" some slight feel differences off the driver or off the putter because of the softness of the ball, but performance wise probably not.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Personal preference is indeed king here, but so too is price point and I would add (for me at least), skill level.

I "prefer" the MTB Black. It's price-point is more than fair for the quality you receive, and therefore is less painful when one (or several) are lost due to poor play like a 20-hcp like me tends to do. I want a "premium" ball that I can afford simply because I do not to have any doubts about the quality of my equipment holding me back from better scores potentially.

Last season, I was afforded the honor to be among the few selected by MGS to test Snell's MTB Reds and at the time I was fitted for and playing Bridgestone's E6 Soft line. The subsequent testing I performed for the review really opened my eyes to the myriad of differences between all types of golf balls. Along with my continuing findings at the time, @PlaidJacket started a fun little thing with the first annual MGS Hard Rock Challenge that further opened my eyes that there is some true stinkers out there that need to be avoided at all costs. I tested everything I could get my hands on, from Noodles, to Taylormades, to Top Flites, but based all my observations off of the "gold-standard" of the "#1 most lost ball in the world" 😜, the PV1. Even at my particular skill set, it was easy to see, and feel and observe differences like spin, green-holding ability, distance control and durability compared to Titleist's flagship offering. Ultimately for me, I landed on the Snell MTB Black simply because it checked all the boxes that were important to me.

Now in the spirit of this thread, I have to say that I've only had a very short experience with a Vice ball. I found one (a Pro in neon red), and put it to play one day. It was just "OK" for me but my first impression was that this particular model felt hard off of driver and that's off-putting for me since I like a softer feel there. Again...PREFERENCE. I'm sure Vice makes a damn good product, and maybe even one that rivals the big boys, but for me, I "prefer" the Snell MTB Black.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

My main issue with balls is I can’t loose them fast enough. I always look and usually find mine plus one or two other ‘pro level balls’ - that’s what I call a ball good enough to be played on the tours. I keep those and toss the crap back.

Doing this has caused me to use about 1 or 2 new sleeves of balls per year. I’ve still got unopened boxes of pro v1x’s from 2010 when I got a few dozen for playing in a few tournaments lol. So I literally cannot lose them fast enough. I hate loosing balls and always look. If you know where to look you’ll always find a few keepers. Look on the right side at roughly 200 yards from the tee and you’ll find top flights. Look at nearly 275 yards and up and the balls get nicer. Look on the left side at this distance and up and almost all balls will be good to keep due to better players using better balls. They hit them further and usually hook is the shot shape better players miss with.

Sorry I can’t comment on the balls. Only vice and snell balls I’ve used have been found. Lol. I will say it seems I find a lot more vice balls vs Snell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

14 hours ago, Bbaum215 said:

I made the switch to vice two years ago and have shot some of the best rounds of my life playing the vice pro plus. I have noticed no distance difference between the vice and the taylormade tour preferred x that I played prior to. Want to see if anyone else out there has been playing the vice and your thoughts and how does the vice pro plus compare to the smell mtb black. 

Currently playing the MTB Black and I'll be going back to Vice as I prefer the feel. Performance is very similar, but feel is noticeably different - at least to me. It's not that the Snell feels bad, but it's not my preferred feel plain and simple. My best advice to you is that if you think you want to try it, give it a shot and if you don't like it you can go back when deplete your stock. Both are great balls IMO and I will say that the finish on the Snell is better than that of the Vice. If you play a white Vice golf ball, you know how easily they stain due to the flat finish. The Snell has a clear coat on it and looks better for a longer period of time.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 3/14/2019 at 11:36 AM, B81Smith said:

My main issue with balls is I can’t loose them fast enough. I always look and usually find mine plus one or two other ‘pro level balls’ - that’s what I call a ball good enough to be played on the tours. I keep those and toss the crap back.

Doing this has caused me to use about 1 or 2 new sleeves of balls per year. I’ve still got unopened boxes of pro v1x’s from 2010 when I got a few dozen for playing in a few tournaments lol. So I literally cannot lose them fast enough. I hate loosing balls and always look. If you know where to look you’ll always find a few keepers. Look on the right side at roughly 200 yards from the tee and you’ll find top flights. Look at nearly 275 yards and up and the balls get nicer. Look on the left side at this distance and up and almost all balls will be good to keep due to better players using better balls. They hit them further and usually hook is the shot shape better players miss with.

Sorry I can’t comment on the balls. Only vice and snell balls I’ve used have been found. Lol. I will say it seems I find a lot more vice balls vs Snell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a highly accurate depiction of where you find golf ball on a course! 

• 2 weeks later...

Occasionally played the Vice Pro and Pro Plus, but always ended up playing the Vice Tour. I'm not sure why but it suited my game more than the "pro" options. I love the aesthetic of their equipment, but recently found great luck with purchasing used practice Titleist balls and haven't looked back (full disclosure, I'm a bit of a Titleist fanboy)

Taylormade SIM Driver

Titleist 915 3 wood

Taylormade M1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW

Mizuno T20 50/55/60

Toulon Las Vegas

Taylormade TP5x

📸https://www.instagram.com/samej_g/

Enjoyed how straight the Vice is for me, but don't like the distance loss. Same with Snell for me. 

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

Start by playing the one that feels best to you when putting!  After that, determine what you like as far as spin around the greens.  Don't worry about the driver.  The short game is where balls matter most.  You don't want to play a ball that spins a lot off the wedges one round and then play a ball that rolls out the next.  You can't go wrong here.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 3/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, CarlH said:

I don't think I'm capable of discerning any significant difference between the higher end golf balls (and that includes Vice and Snell)

I agree with you, sort of.

Last year I tested the Snell MTB Red. Going in to the test I had concerns about whether a hacker like me could tell the difference (granted, my gamer at the time was an NXT Tour S, not a premium ball). Around the greens, I could absolutely tell the difference. Full clubs? Not as much, but there were some trends that, if I had more data, could have become significant, even with my swing.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Just my 2c but having played a bunch of different balls from Pro-V1/V1x, Chrome soft/x, a whole vice trial pack, TP5, B330, Z-star. Without doing a full fitting in a bay to look at ball speed, launch angle, and spin rate differences it really boils down to feel. At my skill level I can't honestly tell you if one of those balls spun any more or less or which ones carried further or ballooned less than any of the others but I can tell you which ones I liked and didn't care for. For me it just boiled down to what feels pretty good, does what I expect, and wont cause me to spend 10 minutes looking for it in the trees because a weekend round is slow enough already. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

I agree with you, sort of.

Last year I tested the Snell MTB Red. Going in to the test I had concerns about whether a hacker like me could tell the difference (granted, my gamer at the time was an NXT Tour S, not a premium ball). Around the greens, I could absolutely tell the difference. Full clubs? Not as much, but there were some trends that, if I had more data, could have become significant, even with my swing.

Yes, and this is how balls should be tested....from the green out.  There are subtle differences between premium balls (ProV, TP5, B330, etc) on the green and how the ball reacts on the green is significant in your game.  Distance differences off the tee with premium balls is relatively insignificant.  When selecting golf balls, find the one that reacts around the green best for you.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

... Like many of the new mail order companies, Vice buys generic balls from a Taiwanese manufacturer that sells the exact same ball to others and they are happy to stamp any name on them. This is capitalism at work and they make a really good golf ball. But please don't compare any of these balls to Snell. Dean has put in the work and as most know co-designed some of the most popular balls ever made including the original ProV1 and TM Tour Preferred. So for a few dollars more and in some instances the same price, I am always going to support Snell over the other middle men. Depending on your skill level, there may be no discernible difference in performance for your game but there certainly might be a difference in consistency from ball to ball. 

... I played with a kid that won a few times on the Florida satellite tours. He hit the original Kirkland ball and loved it so he tested a dozen to see how they stacked up. 10 balls were virtually the same in spin, launch and compression. But 2 balls were lower in compression, had different spin and launch characteristics and this kid was certainly good enough to suffer from those differences. He went back to his ProV1's, that he got for free of course. 

... This was an eye opener for me, as I loved the original Kirkland and still do. I have no reservation playing them for fun but would not play one competitively. Nor would I play any of the other mail order balls in competition. But I would play Snells because I know Dean is doing the R&D, improving his ball where he see's a chance to tweak that performance even a little and I know every ball will be exactly the same.   

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Like many of the new mail order companies, Vice buys generic balls from a Taiwanese manufacturer that sells the exact same ball to others and they are happy to stamp any name on them. This is capitalism at work and they make a really good golf ball. But please don't compare any of these balls to Snell. Dean has put in the work and as most know co-designed some of the most popular balls ever made including the original ProV1 and TM Tour Preferred. So for a few dollars more and in some instances the same price, I am always going to support Snell over the other middle men. Depending on your skill level, there may be no discernible difference in performance for your game but there certainly might be a difference in consistency from ball to ball. 

... I played with a kid that won a few times on the Florida satellite tours. He hit the original Kirkland ball and loved it so he tested a dozen to see how they stacked up. 10 balls were virtually the same in spin, launch and compression. But 2 balls were lower in compression, had different spin and launch characteristics and this kid was certainly good enough to suffer from those differences. He went back to his ProV1's, that he got for free of course. 

... This was an eye opener for me, as I loved the original Kirkland and still do. I have no reservation playing them for fun but would not play one competitively. Nor would I play any of the other mail order balls in competition. But I would play Snells because I know Dean is doing the R&D, improving his ball where he see's a chance to tweak that performance even a little and I know every ball will be exactly the same.   

This.

Snell is a GOLF company

Vice, Cut and others like them are marketing and distribution companies.  Nothing more.

• 2 months later...

So after starting this thread I have actually bought and played the mtb black this year and I can tell a difference and am sold on snell being a superior ball in every category. Mainly the ball lasts longer and does get scuffed or nicked up as quick as the vice would for me. I also think that has lead to it being more reliable shot to shot. 

On 3/28/2019 at 1:04 PM, chisag said:

I agree with your comments about the Vice Ball and Snell.

It is my understanding that the original Kirkland 4-piece ball was made by Nassau Golf Co which is the same plant that makes the Snell ball. So one might expect quality control to be similar between the Kirkland original and Snell balls. 

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)