Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Swingweight question

FairwayNinja1

I am looking into the Evnroll ER1.2 and I like a 34.5” putter so I would have to buy the 35” putter and chop it down a half inch. The 35” putter is a D9 swingweight and taking off 1/2” will bring it to D6. I wanted to try the gravity grip but that would bring me to a D2. I was able to test the 34” 1.2 which is a D4 swingweight and I loved the feel of it. Is there much difference between a D2 swingweight and D4 that is noticable? Also when I cut down the shaft am i changing the center of mass and its balance point etc? If so then i likely won’t make any changes and just buy the 34”

There is almost no discernible difference between two swingweight points on a putter. I wouldn't worry about it at all. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

It's a hard question to answer, some people will immediately notice the difference, some wouldn't be able to tell.

Cutting down the shaft will not change the center of mass of the putter head.  It will change the balance point because that is basically what swing weight it.

Here's the thing with swing weights, it's easy to make a SW heavier, it's harder to make it lighter.  Also since the head weight of the putter is static the only real difference between the 34" and 35" is one inch of shaft.  Since it's probably easier to pull a grip and cut 1/2" off vs pulling a grip and extending it 1/2" I'd personally buy the 35".  Feel free to cut down the shaft and see how it feels.  If you want to bump the swing weight back up just use some lead tape.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Take a close look at the PING Sigma G line. They have a unique built-in adjustable grip...

https://ping.com/clubs/putters/sigma-2

Also this for a laugh...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I have lead tape on just about all of my clubs.  It forms nicely to clubs and it is not too noticeable...depending on where you put it and how much you use.  If you find you don't like that weight, either add more tape or take some off.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Archived