Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Garmin gps watches

Have you used a GPS watch such as Garmin S10, S20 and S60. Did you have any good experiences on these devices? Any suggestions? 

I'm contemplating on getting one because of the convenience of checking your wrist for yardage in lieu of a range finder. 

I've seen a lot of mix reviews but i wanted to see what are your thoughts on this.

I've used the X40 for a couple years now, and it does everything you could want from it.  Being a Garmin it does a whole  lot of other health functions n addition to the golf gps

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I use the Garmin S2 and enjoy the ease of checking yardages from looking at my wrist.

The downside to my watch is that it is only front, middle, and back yardages to the green.  I'm sure the better and newer versions allow you to see yardages to hazards or layup distances, etc.

Garmin does make a good product IMO as my watch has not had any issues with finding the course or locating satellites.  The battery life for my is typically 36 holes.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I have the s60 and it is great. Tracks shots, you can measure to hazards, move pin around the green. Great investment in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

5 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I've used the X40 for a couple years now, and it does everything you could want from it.  Being a Garmin it does a whole  lot of other health functions n addition to the golf gps

Is there a yearly fee and does it have fitbit type functions on it to track miles walked etc.?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Is there a yearly fee and does it have fitbit type functions on it to track miles walked etc.?

No annual fee and at least mine does everything a Fitbit does except keep heart rate for you. Tracks your every move so be careful with it.

IMG_0092.JPG

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

2 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

No annual fee and at least mine does everything a Fitbit does except keep heart rate for you. Tracks your every move so be careful with it.

IMG_0092.JPG

Now that's funny right there! 😆   Hmmmm this will be my next gps watch!

Cleveland

45 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Wedgie must have a different one than me.  But the X40 does track your heart beat, steps, calories burned and even how restful you are sleeping.   But it doesn't do any crazy maps like that...at least not that I discovered.  it could be an update I'm not familiar with.   But that is pretty cool!  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

39 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

IMG_0092.JPG

You spent a little too much time off in the woods...

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

48 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I’ll give you a buck if you can guess what I shot today based on that map.

73!?

Cleveland

28 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Wedgie must have a different one than me.  But the X40 does track your heart beat, steps, calories burned and even how restful you are sleeping.   But it doesn't do any crazy maps like that...at least not that I discovered.  it could be an update I'm not familiar with.   But that is pretty cool!  

Yep being a fitness junkie it sounds like everything I need!

Cleveland

16 hours ago, Jaycee said:

Have you used a GPS watch such as Garmin S10, S20 and S60. Did you have any good experiences on these devices? Any suggestions? 

I'm contemplating on getting one because of the convenience of checking your wrist for yardage in lieu of a range finder. 

I've seen a lot of mix reviews but i wanted to see what are your thoughts on this.

Driver: Cobra Radspeed, x-stiff , 9.0° set to 7.5°.

3 wood: Titleist TSi2, x-stiff , 13,5° set to 15°.

1 hybrid: Adams tour proto, x-stiff Aldila 80g, 16°.

3 hybrid: Wishon 775HS, x-stiff, 21°.

4-GW: Mizuno JPX919 forged, x-stiff.

SW: Taylormade MG3, 56° bent to 55°, medium bounce.

LW: Taylormade MG3, 60°, medium bounce.

Putter: EVNROLL ER2 black.

Ball: Titleist ProV1 or ProV1x

I spend way too much time bombing the driver.

I am not familiar with Garmin golf watches but I have a VivoActive HR and it is awesome so I think Garmin have their s%&# together.

But why not take the step to Club tracking and stats and get the ShotScope V2. There you get both a very solid GPS watch and the addition of club tracking if you are interested in that data.

I strongly advise the V2 but you probably cannot go wrong with anything from Garmin too.

Driver: Cobra Radspeed, x-stiff , 9.0° set to 7.5°.

3 wood: Titleist TSi2, x-stiff , 13,5° set to 15°.

1 hybrid: Adams tour proto, x-stiff Aldila 80g, 16°.

3 hybrid: Wishon 775HS, x-stiff, 21°.

4-GW: Mizuno JPX919 forged, x-stiff.

SW: Taylormade MG3, 56° bent to 55°, medium bounce.

LW: Taylormade MG3, 60°, medium bounce.

Putter: EVNROLL ER2 black.

Ball: Titleist ProV1 or ProV1x

I spend way too much time bombing the driver.

I too have been thinking about a GPS watch, however here is my issue.  A watch (which many of my friends have), does a good job telling you how big the green is or how far away a bunker is etc., however it does not tell you how far say a certain tree is, or some other random target that you may want to shoot at that a laser is able to do.  I am torn because really, how often am I shooting the few random trees or the golf cart exit the fairway signs?!  I know they differ in price quite a bit but I am still not sure.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I too have been thinking about a GPS watch, however here is my issue.  A watch (which many of my friends have), does a good job telling you how big the green is or how far away a bunker is etc., however it does not tell you how far say a certain tree is, or some other random target that you may want to shoot at that a laser is able to do.  I am torn because really, how often am I shooting the few random trees or the golf cart exit the fairway signs?!  I know they differ in price quite a bit but I am still not sure.  

With the s60 you can scroll the screen to find certain targets or landing areas. I still use a laser for pins because on a 30 yard long green it has no idea where the flag is and it can be hard to questimate. If I could only have one or the other I’d take the watch since it is so quick, can track shots, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 2:35 PM, Wedgie said:

With the s60 you can scroll the screen to find certain targets or landing areas. I still use a laser for pins because on a 30 yard long green it has no idea where the flag is and it can be hard to questimate. If I could only have one or the other I’d take the watch since it is so quick, can track shots, etc.

The S60 is a beauty. I was about to purchase one then Garmin released the S40. I'm waiting until the S40 is available in my region.

I saw the s40 as well and think it looks great!  It cost 300.  I have never had a gps watch and decided to buy an s20 for $130.  I figured I would try that out and see actually how much I really use it and how accurate it really is ( I hear they are pretty good).  If I find that I am using it a lot then maybe I will upgrade to the s40.    

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

On 3/15/2019 at 5:30 AM, Svengineer said:

I am not familiar with Garmin golf watches but I have a VivoActive HR and it is awesome so I think Garmin have their s%&# together.

But why not take the step to Club tracking and stats and get the ShotScope V2. There you get both a very solid GPS watch and the addition of club tracking if you are interested in that data.

I strongly advise the V2 but you probably cannot go wrong with anything from Garmin too.

The Garmin s20 also does club tracking I believe.  

I use the Forerunner 935 (its my running/biking/swimming watch) that also does golf. I love it! Accurate and easy to use, no annual fee. just have to make sure I load the course to the watch before I get to the course (it can take time depending cell service)

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I had a Garmin S2 at one point and honestly miss it. I like the exactness of a laser, but GPS really comes in handy when you get out of position and are blocked by trees or there's a hill between you and the flag practically rendering the unit worthless. I would just buy another Garmin (and may still) to supplement my rangefinder, but I'm holding out for an Apple Watch. It just makes more sense to buy something that looks nice and does much more than provide the time and GPS on a golf course.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I don’t like wearing a watch when I play but love to have that technology available. Bought a Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS and really love it! Has a great app for the phone and so far every course I have played has been on it. Main display shows front middle and back distances of the green and it will also display fairway and greenside bunker distances as well. If you don’t want to wear a watch it is a great alternative. I’d get one of the bright colors if you intend to use the magnet on the back to attach it to a golf cart. That way it would less easy to lose. That would be my only real negative of the device. Would hate to accidentally leave it somewhere. Other nice thing is there are no additional annual fees. Buy it once and forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB

Ping G400 9 Degree with Mitsubishi Chemical Kuro Kage 60 gram Stiff Shaft- Set to 10 Degrees

Titleist TS2 4 Wood 16.5 Degrees Mitsubishi Chemical (S) Tensei AV Series Blue

Titleist 818 H1 20 Degree Hybrid Mitsubishi Chemical (S) Tensei Pro Blue

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-5 Irons KBS C-Taper Lite (S) Standard Loft and Lie

Mizuno JPX 919 6-PW KBS C-Taper Lite (S) Standard Loft and Lie

Titleist SM6 Vokey 50 (F Grind), 54 (S Grind), 58 (M Grind) DG Wedge Shaft

Odyssey 2 Ball Fang Blacked Out (35")

Average Score 74-75

Mason City, IA

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Garmin Approach S20 last year and I love it.  It is a mid range GPS watch.  It doesn't have a color screen, but that doesn't take away from it.  I am currently wearing it as my everyday watch.  I have to remember to charge it before I go play a round.  It holds it's charge very well.  It has had every course I have ever played, even on vacations.  It appears to be very accurate and it gives front middle and back of the green.

I like using the scorecard feature, even though I keep track the old fashioned way too.  I can then download the data into my iphone app. 

I would highly recommend it.  

The downside;

You can't use it for practice at a range, only on the course.  You have to make sure it has enough charge for the round of golf.  It always has so far, but if it was at 30% I don't know if I would trust it.

There are times where a rangefinder would be useful, but I love the ease of use on the course.  I look at my watch and it gives me the yardage instantly.

I hope this helps.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

So I just broke down and bought a Garmin s20 about two weeks ago.  I have used it for about three rounds so far and I am still trying to get used to all of its features.  So far, I like it.  The distance to the greens is fairly accurate and you can move the pin around (although I just mainly use it for front middle and back distances).  I really like the layup feature.  It will give you various distances for layup shots.  If gives you about 4 different yardages to be 100 yds out, 150 and so on.  Great feature.  

I paired it with my phone to look at the data at a later date but I have not really used that feature much yet so I cannot comment on it.  The watch itself is comfortable, large display and easy to use.  I like the buttons on the side but wish that I could get the watch to light up at night just to look at the time (maybe it does this, but I have not figured it out yet).  I would recommend it.  

So I just broke down and bought a Garmin s20 about two weeks ago.  I have used it for about three rounds so far and I am still trying to get used to all of its features.  So far, I like it.  The distance to the greens is fairly accurate and you can move the pin around (although I just mainly use it for front middle and back distances).  I really like the layup feature.  It will give you various distances for layup shots.  If gives you about 4 different yardages to be 100 yds out, 150 and so on.  Great feature.  

I paired it with my phone to look at the data at a later date but I have not really used that feature much yet so I cannot comment on it.  The watch itself is comfortable, large display and easy to use.  I like the buttons on the side but wish that I could get the watch to light up at night just to look at the time (maybe it does this, but I have not figured it out yet).  I would recommend it.  

On my S60 you can press the middle button, scroll down to system and press that. Scroll down until you see backlight. You can activate by gesture meaning at night you roll your wrist and the backlight will come on automatically.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

have used the Garmin g20 for a couple years now.

Pro's:

1. Solid GPS

2. Courses: it's found courses easily (stored in memory) for every course I've been to so far (in the US + Canada)

3. Lightweight + not distracting, with a perforated watch band, which helps your wrist breathe

4. Can sync to the garmin connect IOS app to show you your historical performance on  a course (or several!)  ability to see it on the web application as well

5. bluetooth - so can see your text messages from your phone

6. decent battery life // 2-3 rounds

7. ability to "move the flag" due to varying pin placements

8.found the range finder quite accurate when comparing against a player who has a laser range finder

9. easy to read in the sun

10. pretty affordable ~$200

11. step counter

12. details on when the sun rises + sets according to your GPS location

cons:

1.  not always accurate re: hazards (i.e. how far do I need to hit to clear this water etc)

2. black and white screen

3.  not able to place the pin or check hazard ranges

4. no touch screen (however, one could argue this is a good tradeoff vs. cost)

Overall, the watch has suited me well, for a golfer who plays 2x / week for 4-5 months a year. 

good luck!

• 1 month later...

I 'upgraded' to an S60 from a TomTom watch earlier this year and I love it.  The fitness features have encouraged me to incorporate more walking into my daily routine too.

Personally i prefer the convenience of a watch to a handheld or phone app, and feel i am more efficient time wise too, as i can just glance at my wrist unless i need to check stuff more closely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 9:11 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

If you press and hold the “ok” button, upper right, the screen will light.

I have an S20. It works very well, no complaints other than aesthetics. I’m intrigued by the the S40, but one of the best things about the S20 is that when not golfing it uses practically no battery — 1% a day. I wear it all the time and when I’m not golfing I can basically forget about it. So, at least three rounds without charging, almost regardless of how many days between rounds. The 10-day watch mode battery life of the S40 pales in comparison. 

On 6/24/2019 at 8:50 PM, howellhandmade said:

I have an S20. It works very well, no complaints other than aesthetics. I’m intrigued by the the S40, but one of the best things about the S20 is that when not golfing it uses practically no battery — 1% a day. I wear it all the time and when I’m not golfing I can basically forget about it. So, at least three rounds without charging, almost regardless of how many days between rounds. The 10-day watch mode battery life of the S40 pales in comparison. 

Howell is right.  I use my S20 as a daily watch and when I am not playing golf, battery usage is practically nil.  Last week I played 4 days straight.  I charged my watch before the first game and then between the second an third rounds.  It still had battery life, but previously, I had the battery die during a round when the battery was below 50% before I started.  Now I make sure it is well charged before I go play.  I don't consider it a negative about the watch.  I love mine.  

I am interested in the Arccos system, but I love my watch so much, that I can't justify the expense.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter