Sign in to follow this  
Jaycee

Garmin gps watches

Have you used a GPS watch such as Garmin S10, S20 and S60. Did you have any good experiences on these devices? Any suggestions? 

I'm contemplating on getting one because of the convenience of checking your wrist for yardage in lieu of a range finder. 

I've seen a lot of mix reviews but i wanted to see what are your thoughts on this.

I've used the X40 for a couple years now, and it does everything you could want from it.  Being a Garmin it does a whole  lot of other health functions n addition to the golf gps

• Like 2

I use the Garmin S2 and enjoy the ease of checking yardages from looking at my wrist.

The downside to my watch is that it is only front, middle, and back yardages to the green.  I'm sure the better and newer versions allow you to see yardages to hazards or layup distances, etc.

Garmin does make a good product IMO as my watch has not had any issues with finding the course or locating satellites.  The battery life for my is typically 36 holes.

• Like 1

I have the s60 and it is great. Tracks shots, you can measure to hazards, move pin around the green. Great investment in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I've used the X40 for a couple years now, and it does everything you could want from it.  Being a Garmin it does a whole  lot of other health functions n addition to the golf gps

Is there a yearly fee and does it have fitbit type functions on it to track miles walked etc.?

Is there a yearly fee and does it have fitbit type functions on it to track miles walked etc.?

No annual fee and at least mine does everything a Fitbit does except keep heart rate for you. Tracks your every move so be careful with it.

IMG_0092.JPG

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

No annual fee and at least mine does everything a Fitbit does except keep heart rate for you. Tracks your every move so be careful with it.

IMG_0092.JPG

Now that's funny right there! 😆   Hmmmm this will be my next gps watch!

• Like 1

Now that's funny right there!    Hmmmm this will be my next gps watch!

I’ll give you a buck if you can guess what I shot today based on that map.

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Wedgie must have a different one than me.  But the X40 does track your heart beat, steps, calories burned and even how restful you are sleeping.   But it doesn't do any crazy maps like that...at least not that I discovered.  it could be an update I'm not familiar with.   But that is pretty cool!  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

IMG_0092.JPG

You spent a little too much time off in the woods...

48 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I’ll give you a buck if you can guess what I shot today based on that map.

73!?

28 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Wedgie must have a different one than me.  But the X40 does track your heart beat, steps, calories burned and even how restful you are sleeping.   But it doesn't do any crazy maps like that...at least not that I discovered.  it could be an update I'm not familiar with.   But that is pretty cool!  

Yep being a fitness junkie it sounds like everything I need!

16 hours ago, Jaycee said:

Have you used a GPS watch such as Garmin S10, S20 and S60. Did you have any good experiences on these devices? Any suggestions? 

I'm contemplating on getting one because of the convenience of checking your wrist for yardage in lieu of a range finder. 

I've seen a lot of mix reviews but i wanted to see what are your thoughts on this.

I am not familiar with Garmin golf watches but I have a VivoActive HR and it is awesome so I think Garmin have their s%&# together.

But why not take the step to Club tracking and stats and get the ShotScope V2. There you get both a very solid GPS watch and the addition of club tracking if you are interested in that data.

I strongly advise the V2 but you probably cannot go wrong with anything from Garmin too.

I too have been thinking about a GPS watch, however here is my issue.  A watch (which many of my friends have), does a good job telling you how big the green is or how far away a bunker is etc., however it does not tell you how far say a certain tree is, or some other random target that you may want to shoot at that a laser is able to do.  I am torn because really, how often am I shooting the few random trees or the golf cart exit the fairway signs?!  I know they differ in price quite a bit but I am still not sure.  

I too have been thinking about a GPS watch, however here is my issue.  A watch (which many of my friends have), does a good job telling you how big the green is or how far away a bunker is etc., however it does not tell you how far say a certain tree is, or some other random target that you may want to shoot at that a laser is able to do.  I am torn because really, how often am I shooting the few random trees or the golf cart exit the fairway signs?!  I know they differ in price quite a bit but I am still not sure.  

With the s60 you can scroll the screen to find certain targets or landing areas. I still use a laser for pins because on a 30 yard long green it has no idea where the flag is and it can be hard to questimate. If I could only have one or the other I’d take the watch since it is so quick, can track shots, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy