tony@CIC

Range rock performance

Today as I was hitting balls on the range, I was wondering what your thoughts were on range ball performance. Obviously they vary by condition, but my instructor refers to them as 80 percenters meaning 80% of the performance of normal golf balls. So what say you spies, at your driving range, are the characteristics - primarily distance comparable to the golf balls you game? Or are they 90%, 80%, 70% etc.?   

With absolutely no data to support this whatsoever, I'd say that seems about right until you go to fancier clubs that use nicer range balls. I've heard what you have, but don't know if it's because the balls are made that way or because they've been used so much. I'm sure another spy knows the truth.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My muni turns balls over pretty well; old balls are weeded out, and new ones added frequently.  Our pro says 80%, so that seems like a good number.  I never use them for distance; only ball flight and comparison between clubs.  I use them on the pitching green, but only when practicing technique and bunkers.  I never use them for chipping practice, but I see people do it all the time.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:15 PM, tony@CIC said:

Today as I was hitting balls on the range, I was wondering what your thoughts were on range ball performance. Obviously they vary by condition, but my instructor refers to them as 80 percenters meaning 80% of the performance of normal golf balls. So what say you spies, at your driving range, are the characteristics - primarily distance comparable to the golf balls you game? Or are they 90%, 80%, 70% etc.?   

Well, I've heard/read varying thoughts on this question - like 3-50%! That is a huge spread and, if true,makes establishing yardage a bit challenging.  It seems the popular consensus is 15%.  Based on my range experience this seems to align with course performance.  I was just hitting range balls yesterday and my driver carry distance was averaging 215 yards.  Using game balls, this would equate to a 245 yard carry and, with normal roll-out, puts me around the 260-270 mark...which is typical of what I see.

• Like 1

I have also wondered about this. I certainly don't play at posh clubs with ProV's on the range, and while there is certainly the occasional triple knuckler, I don't notice a big enough difference to discount the yardage I see on the range. Does this mean I'm playing 80% balls on the course?
Top golf certainly has heavily reduced carry balls. I think there is at least a two club difference from normal there.

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app