Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Range rock performance

tony@CIC

Today as I was hitting balls on the range, I was wondering what your thoughts were on range ball performance. Obviously they vary by condition, but my instructor refers to them as 80 percenters meaning 80% of the performance of normal golf balls. So what say you spies, at your driving range, are the characteristics - primarily distance comparable to the golf balls you game? Or are they 90%, 80%, 70% etc.?   

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

With absolutely no data to support this whatsoever, I'd say that seems about right until you go to fancier clubs that use nicer range balls. I've heard what you have, but don't know if it's because the balls are made that way or because they've been used so much. I'm sure another spy knows the truth.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

My muni turns balls over pretty well; old balls are weeded out, and new ones added frequently.  Our pro says 80%, so that seems like a good number.  I never use them for distance; only ball flight and comparison between clubs.  I use them on the pitching green, but only when practicing technique and bunkers.  I never use them for chipping practice, but I see people do it all the time.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 8:15 PM, tony@CIC said:

Today as I was hitting balls on the range, I was wondering what your thoughts were on range ball performance. Obviously they vary by condition, but my instructor refers to them as 80 percenters meaning 80% of the performance of normal golf balls. So what say you spies, at your driving range, are the characteristics - primarily distance comparable to the golf balls you game? Or are they 90%, 80%, 70% etc.?   

Well, I've heard/read varying thoughts on this question - like 3-50%! That is a huge spread and, if true,makes establishing yardage a bit challenging.  It seems the popular consensus is 15%.  Based on my range experience this seems to align with course performance.  I was just hitting range balls yesterday and my driver carry distance was averaging 215 yards.  Using game balls, this would equate to a 245 yard carry and, with normal roll-out, puts me around the 260-270 mark...which is typical of what I see.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I have also wondered about this. I certainly don't play at posh clubs with ProV's on the range, and while there is certainly the occasional triple knuckler, I don't notice a big enough difference to discount the yardage I see on the range. Does this mean I'm playing 80% balls on the course?
Top golf certainly has heavily reduced carry balls. I think there is at least a two club difference from normal there.

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

The older the balls get the more they degrade. Newish balls are going to be about 10% different from a prov type ball. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 3/23/2019 at 1:11 PM, romeopapazulu said:

I have also wondered about this. I certainly don't play at posh clubs with ProV's on the range, and while there is certainly the occasional triple knuckler, I don't notice a big enough difference to discount the yardage I see on the range. Does this mean I'm playing 80% balls on the course?
Top golf certainly has heavily reduced carry balls. I think there is at least a two club difference from normal there.

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Topgolf is the worst thing for "practice" in my mind. The lack of distance on those balls is frustrating 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

There are two holes on my course that if you hook your tee shot, they’ll end up on the range. With that said I use the range balls for wedge and short iron shots, just to warm up and get my ball striking down for the day. Then I rummage through the ball bin to find suitable balls to hit with my driver, woods, and long irons. Our designated range balls are restricted flight and pretty much terrible to dial in distances.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

It completely depends on the range ball. 

Strata is the most popular, but even they have different lines that perform differently. 

Screenshot_20190325-151122.thumb.png.633acdc0d68f91d87606cb6c9d7d6fe7.png

Here is another image that shows some of the more premium range balls - premium in that they fly more realistic distances 

Screenshot_20190325-151434.thumb.png.9a50fb76e86c14a49305be4515d0012a.png

Archived