TESTERS WANTED! ×

Who uses The Grint

I have been using the Grint for a while. I only use the free version because I don't like monthly pay models for software like this. They used to have a one time pay option but got rid of it prior to my fully evaluating the product.

It is nice to see how my handicap is progressing and the basic stats they provide aren't that bad. I only use the GPS functionality when my handhelds battery dies but it works well.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have been using the Grint for a while. I only use the free version because I don't like monthly pay models for software like this. They used to have a one time pay option but got rid of it prior to my fully evaluating the product.

It is nice to see how my handicap is progressing and the basic stats they provide aren't that bad. I only use the GPS functionality when my handhelds battery dies but it works well.

Yearly plan is available

Screenshot_20180727-112848.jpeg

Anyone else using The Grint? I just signed up and I'll have an official USGA Handicap through them after the next revision day.

The stat keeping looks good too. Only using the free version now but I'm considering moving to the paid version.

A quick question about the handicap.  As I understand it, you're required to become a member of a club to have an official USGA Handicap Index.  In this case, it would be a Type 3 Club:

Type 3. The members of a Type 3 club had no prior affiliation, and a majority of the recruiting and sign up of the membership is done by solicitation to the public (e.g., newspaper, Internet). Members do not exhibit any regularity of play at any specific golf course and the residence or business address of each member of the golf club must generally be within 50 miles of the principal location of the golf club.

How does the Grint work this out?  Is there a fee associated with the official Handicap?

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

A quick question about the handicap. As I understand it, you're required to become a member of a club to have an official USGA Handicap Index. In this case, it would be a Type 3 Club:

How does the Grint work this out? Is there a fee associated with the official Handicap?

Nope, no fee at all for an official USGA Handicap.

http://www.thegrint.com/range/2013/04/official-usga-golf-handicap/

A quick question about the handicap. As I understand it, you're required to become a member of a club to have an official USGA Handicap Index. In this case, it would be a Type 3 Club:

How does the Grint work this out? Is there a fee associated with the official Handicap?

For my club I do not have to pay a fee. When I signed up I was provided the club I was a part of.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yearly plan is available

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20180727-112848.jpeg

They used to have a one time $40 price.

I've been using The Grint for years and have the membership...I did the USGA club requirements for them so they gifted me a Pro membership.

As has been said, they assign you a club based on where you are and it's probably the cheapest way of having an official handicap that I know of.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Great, thanks.  I did read the article at the link jlukes posted, and it seems pretty clear.  They DO mis-represent Ghin a little, but that doesn't change the validity of what the Grint actually does, and it seems legit to me.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Anyone else using The Grint? I just signed up and I'll have an official USGA Handicap through them after the next revision day.

The stat keeping looks good too. Only using the free version now but I'm considering moving to the paid version.

I used it (paid version) last year because I wanted a hdcp and didn't want to bother with joining a club. The stat tracking is superior to 18birdies IMO, but I switched to 18b since literally ALL of my friends use it. 18b doesn't offer handicaps (yet, the say they will) and now MGS is affiliated so it was another incentive for me to keep using it.

One of the cool things about The Grint is you can pay for the pro version using Google Pay credit. If you do Google Rewards surveys (it's an app on your phone) you can basically get it for "free" every year. I wanted the pro version solely for the reason that I could take a picture of my scorecard and upload it, but then I started using the stat tracking and that feature became useless. I like that you have so many options for tracking FIR other than just left and right, so you know when you were short or ran thru the fairway. Minor thing that might not matter to most folks, but I'm a stats nerd. I run a fantasy football league using a google spreadsheet with so many useless-but-fun formulas, and I manually enter everything -- IT/math nerd reporting for duty  B) 7

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I used it (paid version) last year because I wanted a hdcp and didn't want to bother with joining a club. The stat tracking is superior to 18birdies IMO, but I switched to 18b since literally ALL of my friends use it. 18b doesn't offer handicaps (yet, the say they will) and now MGS is affiliated so it was another incentive for me to keep using it.

One of the cool things about The Grint is you can pay for the pro version using Google Pay credit. If you do Google Rewards surveys (it's an app on your phone) you can basically get it for "free" every year. I wanted the pro version solely for the reason that I could take a picture of my scorecard and upload it, but then I started using the stat tracking and that feature became useless. I like that you have so many options for tracking FIR other than just left and right, so you know when you were short or ran thru the fairway. Minor thing that might not matter to most folks, but I'm a stats nerd. I run a fantasy football league using a google spreadsheet with so many useless-but-fun formulas, and I manually enter everything -- IT/math nerd reporting for duty B) 7

That's my plan with the Google rewards. Have plenty saved up

Okay, so let me get this right. The Grint gives you an official handicap index? I thought it calculated an index but was unofficial. Could I go enter a USGA event with it or do I still have to use GHIN?

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Okay, so let me get this right. The Grint gives you an official handicap index? I thought it calculated an index but was unofficial. Could I go enter a USGA event with it or do I still have to use GHIN?

Joining the Grint, you join a Type 3 club local to your area. So your scores are entered through that club -- for instance mine is something like The Grint Honolulu club. They're supposedly legit and you can even print a handicap card out.

Well it isn't official unless the club you belong to has a chairperson that goes through the USGAs course then it becomes an official USGA club then it's an official handicap trust me on this because I used it last year but no one went through the course so I had to do it. Also important to note that there are other stipulations regarding a type 3 club that the clubs in The Grint dont really abide by.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Well it isn't official unless the club you belong to has a chairperson that goes through the USGAs course then it becomes an official USGA club then it's an official handicap trust me on this because I used it last year but no one went through the course so I had to do it. Also important to note that there are other stipulations regarding a type 3 club that the clubs in The Grint dont really abide by.

Yeah, as long as your chairperson is willing to do the work. I remember getting a PM from the grint staff asking if anyone wanted to be the new chairperson for Honolulu. I'm not trying to enter events anyways, I just wanted something semi-legit and The Grint works perfectly IMO.

Members of a golf club must have a reasonable and regular opportunity to play golf with each other. The Members' scores must be posted as soon as practicable and be available for inspection by others, including, but not limited to, fellow members and the club's Handicap Committee.

This is where it gets a but complicated because nearly all members dont kmow each other dont play together and dont review each other

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

Members of a golf club must have a reasonable and regular opportunity to play golf with each other. The Members' scores must be posted as soon as practicable and be available for inspection by others, including, but not limited to, fellow members and the club's Handicap Committee.

This is where it gets a but complicated because nearly all members dont kmow each other dont play together and dont review each other

Is there a certain percentage that have to play with each other? Two of my coworkers were using The Grint at the same time as me, so we could post and attest our scores with each other.

Not sure if there is a percentage. I know when I went through the chairperson training they wanted me to assure them I would do yearly tournament with the members I tried but never worked out I left the Grint after that. They actually call you and talk to you after you complete the training. Truth be told the chairperson should get like free premium or something because it was a pain.

Bryson DeChambeau

Thanks guys. Now I don't have to pay for GHIN!

As far as I know, you can't simply "join" Ghin, you have to access it through membership to a club.  And if you ARE a member of a local club, they probably wouldn't accept your Grint handicap. I know I want members that I compete against at my home club to undergo the same peer review by our handicap committee as I undergo.  I know when we hold our member-guest each year, handicaps that are obtained online are reduced significantly, because the peer review isn't up to the same standards as at physical clubs.  I can track every time one of our members plays our home course, and verify that he's posted a score.  The Type 3 clubs simply can't do this kind of tracking.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

As far as I know, you can't simply "join" Ghin, you have to access it through membership to a club.  And if you ARE a member of a local club, they probably wouldn't accept your Grint handicap. I know I want members that I compete against at my home club to undergo the same peer review by our handicap committee as I undergo.  I know when we hold our member-guest each year, handicaps that are obtained online are reduced significantly, because the peer review isn't up to the same standards as at physical clubs.  I can track every time one of our members plays our home course, and verify that he's posted a score.  The Type 3 clubs simply can't do this kind of tracking.

I maintain my GHIN handicap through a membership with the FSGA.  I signed up online at the FSGA website, and then they give me the login information for the GHIN mobile app, where I post all my scores through.

I don't technically have a home club through this mobile app posting, even though I am a member of the local public muni.  But there is no peer review of my handicap, beyond discussing what I shot with the guys in my foresome.  They don't question my score, beyond knowing that I shot that, and we never play in tournaments together, so peer review isn't really an option for me.

I've used my GHIN recently in a FSGA one day event, but the folks at the FSGA are simply taking my handicap in GHIN on the honor system, trusting that what I post is legit.  And ultimately, that's basically what it boils down to, my integrity.  If I wanted to become a scratch golfer, I could do it tomorrow through GHIN.  Or if I wanted to be a lying, cheating, stealing sandbagger, I could become a 20+ handicap tomorrow as well.

I am in casual conversation right now with a few friends that are a member of a private club here in town, and I am seriously considering joining their club, where I would definitely be involved in all sorts of matches and weekly money games where my handicap would not only be used, but heavily scrutinized.  But right now, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on this yet.

Look, I'll be as transparent as I can be - is my handicap a legit 3.8 through my GHIN posting?  Absolutely.  But again, that's relying solely on my integrity and character to be honest about what I shoot.  And I abide by the rules when playing, because if you cheat, your handicap will become invalid when you enter a tournament and really have to play by the rules 100%.  But I honestly think that giving someone like me, who isn't a member of a private club, where there is no peer review for posting rounds of golf for your handicap, cheap and easy access to a handicap, really opens up Pandora's Box for sandbagging and glory handicaps coming at you left and right.  It's always tempting to cheat the system if you know you can get away with it.  Heck, we've got an entire city full of politicians in Washington, DC that should be all the evidence you need that power corrupts, and that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I have not used The Grint, but before I joined my current muni, my wife and I joined a Type 3 local online club.  When we posted our scores, the online system asks if you played with any of the other members.  Easy for the two of us.  I didn't know anyone else in the "club".  

When we joined our muni, we signed up with GHIN because the fee we pay for our club's Mens and Ladies clubs include the GHIN fee.  We can get the GHIN for less money, but then not eligible to play in the Mens or Ladies events.  I don't see any reason why we couldn't drop the GHIN and join The Grint, except not playing in those club events.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As far as I know, you can't simply "join" Ghin, you have to access it through membership to a club. And if you ARE a member of a local club, they probably wouldn't accept your Grint handicap. I know I want members that I compete against at my home club to undergo the same peer review by our handicap committee as I undergo. I know when we hold our member-guest each year, handicaps that are obtained online are reduced significantly, because the peer review isn't up to the same standards as at physical clubs. I can track every time one of our members plays our home course, and verify that he's posted a score. The Type 3 clubs simply can't do this kind of tracking.

Correct, I have to go through my golf association (WSGA) and login to GHIN from there.

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

If I paid my local muni to have ghin there, there would be no extra protocols or procedures in place to prevent me from posting a bogus score.

Jlukes has a great point

Bryson DeChambeau

I've been using the Grint for 6 years now. I have used it to play in member guest events without issue for those 6 years. I do the free version but get emails quarterly with a special offer to become a pro member for $15. This year they added the “attest” feature so it helps to have a buddy you play with regularly to attest your scores. I joined a country club and played my first 18 there today and the pro signed me up for a club handicap. He asked if I had a handicap and when I said I used the Grint he said he could use that as a starting point but I said don't worry about it. Had I known I would have gotten more detail.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

• 7 months later...

Just curious, how many of you on here use The Grint app?  I started using it about two years ago and found that it is a great free app that tracks a lot of information for me during my round and is not a bad GPS as well.  If you use it, what do you like about it and what features do you dislike about it.  If you don't, do you use any other apps that you prefer?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I use it and like the handicap aspect. I like the app and am sorry they went to the subscription based system; otherwise, i would have paid for the lifetime support.