Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Who uses The Grint

I use 18 birdies, I didn't know the Grint existed when I downloaded it. I'd honestly probably switch if I didn't have 40 rounds worth of stats in 18 birdies. I'm too heavily invested. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

trying it this year to track my handicap based on a suggestion from @Wedgie ... I think he uses it a lot and from what I hear it is a really easy and good way to do it.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

@ballplayer002003 If you are truly just curious which Spies have adopted GRINT and their thoughts on the service, I would recommend @jlukes thread on the subject - https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24824-the-grint-official-usga-handicap-stats-app/

For other curiosities, I highly recommend the search function.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I use Grint and think it's a great app. Easy to use and the handicap tracking is convenient. The GPS works well enough, but a few courses I play I'll lose cell service and it's number get wonky. I don't fault the app for that, just something to check if you use the feature. There is the option to download courses ahead of time as well, which is great for getting a birds eye view of the hole and measure distances to hazards. 

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Just FYI - I merged this new thread with the older one.... carry on.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

34 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

trying it this year to track my handicap based on a suggestion from @Wedgie ... I think he uses it a lot and from what I hear it is a really easy and good way to do it.

Late last summer I started using The Grint to post scores alongside GHIN posting to see if I liked it and if I would get the same index.  I do, and I do.  I am dropping GHIN this year and using The Grint exclusively.  I don't have the app; all scores and stats are recorded on my scorecard and I enter them in on my computer when I get home.  I don't really need the stats, but they are interesting.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So how many of you use 18 birdies?  I have not tried 18 Birdies but I do have The Grint and I find that I really use it to track my GIR and fairways hit.  If you have tried either one...which one do you like better?

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Just FYI - I merged this new thread with the older one.... carry on.

Thanks

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

So how many of you use 18 birdies?  I have not tried 18 Birdies but I do have The Grint and I find that I really use it to track my GIR and fairways hit.  If you have tried either one...which one do you like better?
Thanks

I tried 18 birdies for a couple of rounds and never finished a complete the round. Was going to use it for stroke gained but spent more time fiddling with my phone than hitting the shot. Got too distracting.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

31 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I tried 18 birdies for a couple of rounds and never finished a complete the round. Was going to use it for stroke gained but spent more time fiddling with my phone than hitting the shot. Got too distracting.

Same with me.  It's also why I don't use The Grint on the course... that and the fact that my phone last year would only last 2 holes before the battery died.  Got a new iPhone, but I won't use it because of the distraction factor.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

Same with me.  It's also why I don't use The Grint on the course... that and the fact that my phone last year would only last 2 holes before the battery died.  Got a new iPhone, but I won't use it because of the distraction factor.

I fall into the "old phone" category as well.  I find that if I am not careful that my phone will die pretty quickly when using The Grint.  I rarely use it for the GPS and use it more for shot tracking and data.  I guess I could use an external battery but who wants to bring one more thing to the course.  I know I can simply buy a new phone also but I would rather upgrade my golf equipment before I upgrade my phone!

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Thanks

I was using the paid version of The Grint about a year and a half ago and really liked it. I used the paid version because it lets you upload pictures of your card instead of having to bust your phone out after every hole. I like that it has a couple of other shot "outcomes" that you can choose from: missing short or long for example. I use it to keep track of data on course and for handicap purposes. I don't use my hdcp to play competitively or anything, I just use it as a personal measuring tool to see if I'm getting better, or see what is preventing me from going lower.

18 birdies was the app all of my friends chose to use (probably because it was free and they're all scrubs) and I got suckered in after they all started winning free stuff. Since then, 18 birdies adjusted the way you earn points to the point (pun) where it makes it feel like it's not worth it anymore. Previously I think you would get like 10 credits for playing a round (more if you played with an 18 birdies friend) and some points for sharing it to your feed. Now, I think you get like 5 for playing (10 with a friend) and 1 point for sharing. Seriously, 1 point? Aside from the points, the shot tracking isn't as "good" as The Grint IMO, it's just fairway: "hit, left, right." If you out drove the fairway, then what? Same for GiR -- it's only "miss" or not miss so you don't know if you flew the green, you were short, etc.

I think it's easy to see which one I like more. The paid subscription (if you are an Android user) can be paid for by using the "Google Rewards" app. It's an app that periodically sends you short surveys to your mobile device. I fill them out while I'm on the throne in the morning. I currently have $43 of play store credit in my account that I have nothing to spend on because I don't buy apps or in-app purchases anyways, so I use it for premium Grinting. They're both good apps and both have their uses, but I find The Grint to be more useful for me. 18 Birdies definitely has the social aspect going for it though, there are games you can play with your buddies, you can see when they play without you if they share their round, etc.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

6 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I was using the paid version of The Grint about a year and a half ago and really liked it. I used the paid version because it lets you upload pictures of your card instead of having to bust your phone out after every hole. I like that it has a couple of other shot "outcomes" that you can choose from: missing short or long for example. I use it to keep track of data on course and for handicap purposes. I don't use my hdcp to play competitively or anything, I just use it as a personal measuring tool to see if I'm getting better, or see what is preventing me from going lower.

18 birdies was the app all of my friends chose to use (probably because it was free and they're all scrubs) and I got suckered in after they all started winning free stuff. Since then, 18 birdies adjusted the way you earn points to the point (pun) where it makes it feel like it's not worth it anymore. Previously I think you would get like 10 credits for playing a round (more if you played with an 18 birdies friend) and some points for sharing it to your feed. Now, I think you get like 5 for playing (10 with a friend) and 1 point for sharing. Seriously, 1 point? Aside from the points, the shot tracking isn't as "good" as The Grint IMO, it's just fairway: "hit, left, right." If you out drove the fairway, then what? Same for GiR -- it's only "miss" or not miss so you don't know if you flew the green, you were short, etc.

I think it's easy to see which one I like more. The paid subscription (if you are an Android user) can be paid for by using the "Google Rewards" app. It's an app that periodically sends you short surveys to your mobile device. I fill them out while I'm on the throne in the morning. I currently have $43 of play store credit in my account that I have nothing to spend on because I don't buy apps or in-app purchases anyways, so I use it for premium Grinting. They're both good apps and both have their uses, but I find The Grint to be more useful for me. 18 Birdies definitely has the social aspect going for it though, there are games you can play with your buddies, you can see when they play without you if they share their round, etc.

I've never used 18 birdies...what would you earn points for?

Just now, ballplayer002003 said:

I've never used 18 birdies...what would you earn points for?

They're used to enter the 18 birdies contests. You can win a bunch of pre-selected prizes each month that golf companies sponsor: towels, balls, etc. The grand prize every month is always a trip somewhere for 2 to play golf. I think this month is Sawgrass?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

3 minutes ago, yungkory said:

They're used to enter the 18 birdies contests. You can win a bunch of pre-selected prizes each month that golf companies sponsor: towels, balls, etc. The grand prize every month is always a trip somewhere for 2 to play golf. I think this month is Sawgrass?

That seems pretty nice!  Realistically, how many rounds would you need to play to win a prize?

I use to us Swing by Swing until 18 birdies came out. I've been using that for a year or two now. I agree with the previous posters about winning prizes. You earn "golf bucks" for playing rounds, games, playing with other people, etc. You then use the golf bucks to "scratch" for a prize. Now they give you one free "scratch" a day. 

I have won a few things which is nice but you earn a lot less golf bucks than you use too. The 18 birdies app is great and I felt like it let me enter my stats and get off the phone quicker than other apps. It's really easy to enter stats too. You can enter fairways hit, greens hit, direction of drive, number of chip shots, sand shots, putts, etc. The free version offers a good bit of stat tracking and the paid version offers even more. You also get club recommendations, live weather, and more in depth stats like strokes gained, etc with the paid version.

I'll give the Grint a try and see how I like it. 

Driver: Taylormade M3 440cc 9* 45.25" Diamana D+ 70 x-flex

3w - Taylormade RBZ stage 2 tour 14.5* Fujikura 70 s-flex std length

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 850 s-flex std length. 

Irons: Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 4-PW. Project X 6.5 flighted shafts ⅜" gapping. 39.25" 5 iron 2* upright

Wedges- Titlist Vokey SM6 51*, 55*, 59* 2* upright

Putter - Machine M10 adjuster, no sight line. 35.5"

I used to use 18Birdies a lot, but an update last summer broke the GPS for me - it would take forever to lock and even when it did it was clearly off by a long ways, rendering it useless. I had many rounds saved so it took a while for me to decide to move on, but I switched The Grint just for HC tracking purposes and Golf Pad for on-course GPS. I bought a Shot Scope during the off season that I'll be switching to.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

if you want to add me to your friends list I am "StrokerAce21".... can you believe someone stole StrokerAce from me !?!?! the nerve....

grint.gif

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

7 minutes ago, robertson153 said:

Sent an invite your way stroker on the grint

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cool!  all set...

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

if you want to add me to your friends list I am "StrokerAce21".... can you believe someone stole StrokerAce from me !?!?! the nerve....

grint.gif

I added you as well.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

This is awesome, I kind of wanted to get a Grint community going.  

To me, the best part about The Grint is the ability to access everything from a PC. I like to use a real scorecard when I play and keep my phone off and in my bag, then when I get home and sit down with a beer at the computer I can go in and enter everything really fast from the PC. And like others said, you can also just snap a couple pictures and upload it and they do the rest, but i've found their stat tracking on fairways and putts can be kind of funky when doing the picture route.

Plus getting a USGA compliant handicap is a nice added bonus when you do tournaments/outings that ask for a handicap.

I just use the free version, for those that use the Pro version, when you take a picture of the scorecard, how do you track fairways missed left or right or fairways hit?

5 minutes ago, lopey986 said:

there's a little tutorial on how to keep your scorecard for picture uploads. http://www.thegrint.com/range/2016/09/thegrint-scorecard-picture-service-sps/

Ahhhh, I get it now.  Are you happy with the $20 fee year for the pro version, or do you want more bang for the buck?

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Ahhhh, I get it now.  Are you happy with the $20 fee year for the pro version, or do you want more bang for the buck?

i'm definitely happy paying the 20 for the pro version, i don't use the photo upload much but just supporting the service and getting the handicap are more than worth 20 bucks imo. Believe some courses charge to establish an official handicap so i figure it's probably coming out all about the same either way.

I've used the grint for a few years now and like it. I've used both the free and paid versions. I didnt end up using enough of the features in the paid version so I went back to the free version. Handicap index, FIR, GIR, penalties, and putting is what I like the most.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

Been using The Grint for a little over a season now.  Have done the paid version but am currently doing free as I don't feel I was using paid to it's full extent.  I also have a GPS watch so I primarily was using this for handicap and tracking stats.  Good app that I would definitely recommend for someone getting started. 

:taylormade-small: M1; 10.5; Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff

:cleveland-small: CG Gold 4-PW

:odyssey-small: White Hot Pro #9 35"

I just started using The Grint a few weeks ago, and so far I like it. However, I already use and like Golfshot for scoring on course and just add my score to the Grint after the round. Since I already paid for the Pro version of Golfshot I’ll just use the free version now. However, I do like the ability to save a photo of your scorecard, so maybe I’ll do the paid version in the future.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Started out with the free version now pay a yearly fee.  I use it not only for the handicap but to keep a really focused set of stats on the courses I play most often.  So I do get my money's worth.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).