Who uses The Grint

Our Sponsors

Not sure if there is a percentage. I know when I went through the chairperson training they wanted me to assure them I would do yearly tournament with the members I tried but never worked out I left the Grint after that. They actually call you and talk to you after you complete the training. Truth be told the chairperson should get like free premium or something because it was a pain.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was using the paid version of The Grint about a year and a half ago and really liked it. I used the paid version because it lets you upload pictures of your card instead of having to bust your phone

Just FYI - I merged this new thread with the older one.... carry on.

Just downloaded the Grint on Android and truly love the app! Tried a few others before this, but the courses were spotty and since I play crappy courses in my area the Grint was able to deliver! 

Posted Images

Thanks guys. Now I don't have to pay for GHIN!

As far as I know, you can't simply "join" Ghin, you have to access it through membership to a club.  And if you ARE a member of a local club, they probably wouldn't accept your Grint handicap. I know I want members that I compete against at my home club to undergo the same peer review by our handicap committee as I undergo.  I know when we hold our member-guest each year, handicaps that are obtained online are reduced significantly, because the peer review isn't up to the same standards as at physical clubs.  I can track every time one of our members plays our home course, and verify that he's posted a score.  The Type 3 clubs simply can't do this kind of tracking.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

As far as I know, you can't simply "join" Ghin, you have to access it through membership to a club.  And if you ARE a member of a local club, they probably wouldn't accept your Grint handicap. I know I want members that I compete against at my home club to undergo the same peer review by our handicap committee as I undergo.  I know when we hold our member-guest each year, handicaps that are obtained online are reduced significantly, because the peer review isn't up to the same standards as at physical clubs.  I can track every time one of our members plays our home course, and verify that he's posted a score.  The Type 3 clubs simply can't do this kind of tracking.

I maintain my GHIN handicap through a membership with the FSGA.  I signed up online at the FSGA website, and then they give me the login information for the GHIN mobile app, where I post all my scores through.

I don't technically have a home club through this mobile app posting, even though I am a member of the local public muni.  But there is no peer review of my handicap, beyond discussing what I shot with the guys in my foresome.  They don't question my score, beyond knowing that I shot that, and we never play in tournaments together, so peer review isn't really an option for me.

I've used my GHIN recently in a FSGA one day event, but the folks at the FSGA are simply taking my handicap in GHIN on the honor system, trusting that what I post is legit.  And ultimately, that's basically what it boils down to, my integrity.  If I wanted to become a scratch golfer, I could do it tomorrow through GHIN.  Or if I wanted to be a lying, cheating, stealing sandbagger, I could become a 20+ handicap tomorrow as well.

I am in casual conversation right now with a few friends that are a member of a private club here in town, and I am seriously considering joining their club, where I would definitely be involved in all sorts of matches and weekly money games where my handicap would not only be used, but heavily scrutinized.  But right now, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on this yet.

Look, I'll be as transparent as I can be - is my handicap a legit 3.8 through my GHIN posting?  Absolutely.  But again, that's relying solely on my integrity and character to be honest about what I shoot.  And I abide by the rules when playing, because if you cheat, your handicap will become invalid when you enter a tournament and really have to play by the rules 100%.  But I honestly think that giving someone like me, who isn't a member of a private club, where there is no peer review for posting rounds of golf for your handicap, cheap and easy access to a handicap, really opens up Pandora's Box for sandbagging and glory handicaps coming at you left and right.  It's always tempting to cheat the system if you know you can get away with it.  Heck, we've got an entire city full of politicians in Washington, DC that should be all the evidence you need that power corrupts, and that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

• Like 2
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I have not used The Grint, but before I joined my current muni, my wife and I joined a Type 3 local online club.  When we posted our scores, the online system asks if you played with any of the other members.  Easy for the two of us.  I didn't know anyone else in the "club".  

When we joined our muni, we signed up with GHIN because the fee we pay for our club's Mens and Ladies clubs include the GHIN fee.  We can get the GHIN for less money, but then not eligible to play in the Mens or Ladies events.  I don't see any reason why we couldn't drop the GHIN and join The Grint, except not playing in those club events.  

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As far as I know, you can't simply "join" Ghin, you have to access it through membership to a club. And if you ARE a member of a local club, they probably wouldn't accept your Grint handicap. I know I want members that I compete against at my home club to undergo the same peer review by our handicap committee as I undergo. I know when we hold our member-guest each year, handicaps that are obtained online are reduced significantly, because the peer review isn't up to the same standards as at physical clubs. I can track every time one of our members plays our home course, and verify that he's posted a score. The Type 3 clubs simply can't do this kind of tracking.

Correct, I have to go through my golf association (WSGA) and login to GHIN from there.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

If I paid my local muni to have ghin there, there would be no extra protocols or procedures in place to prevent me from posting a bogus score.

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1

If I paid my local muni to have ghin there, there would be no extra protocols or procedures in place to prevent me from posting a bogus score.

Jlukes has a great point

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I've been using the Grint for 6 years now. I have used it to play in member guest events without issue for those 6 years. I do the free version but get emails quarterly with a special offer to become a pro member for $15. This year they added the “attest” feature so it helps to have a buddy you play with regularly to attest your scores. I joined a country club and played my first 18 there today and the pro signed me up for a club handicap. He asked if I had a handicap and when I said I used the Grint he said he could use that as a starting point but I said don't worry about it. Had I known I would have gotten more detail.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

• 7 months later...

Just curious, how many of you on here use The Grint app?  I started using it about two years ago and found that it is a great free app that tracks a lot of information for me during my round and is not a bad GPS as well.  If you use it, what do you like about it and what features do you dislike about it.  If you don't, do you use any other apps that you prefer?

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

I use it and like the handicap aspect. I like the app and am sorry they went to the subscription based system; otherwise, i would have paid for the lifetime support.

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I use 18 birdies, I didn't know the Grint existed when I downloaded it. I'd honestly probably switch if I didn't have 40 rounds worth of stats in 18 birdies. I'm too heavily invested. 

• Like 1

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

trying it this year to track my handicap based on a suggestion from @Wedgie ... I think he uses it a lot and from what I hear it is a really easy and good way to do it.

• Like 2

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | SC Newport 3

@ballplayer002003 If you are truly just curious which Spies have adopted GRINT and their thoughts on the service, I would recommend @jlukes thread on the subject - https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24824-the-grint-official-usga-handicap-stats-app/

For other curiosities, I highly recommend the search function.

• Like 3

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I use Grint and think it's a great app. Easy to use and the handicap tracking is convenient. The GPS works well enough, but a few courses I play I'll lose cell service and it's number get wonky. I don't fault the app for that, just something to check if you use the feature. There is the option to download courses ahead of time as well, which is great for getting a birds eye view of the hole and measure distances to hazards. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

34 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

trying it this year to track my handicap based on a suggestion from @Wedgie ... I think he uses it a lot and from what I hear it is a really easy and good way to do it.

Late last summer I started using The Grint to post scores alongside GHIN posting to see if I liked it and if I would get the same index.  I do, and I do.  I am dropping GHIN this year and using The Grint exclusively.  I don't have the app; all scores and stats are recorded on my scorecard and I enter them in on my computer when I get home.  I don't really need the stats, but they are interesting.  

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So how many of you use 18 birdies?  I have not tried 18 Birdies but I do have The Grint and I find that I really use it to track my GIR and fairways hit.  If you have tried either one...which one do you like better?

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Just FYI - I merged this new thread with the older one.... carry on.

Thanks

So how many of you use 18 birdies?  I have not tried 18 Birdies but I do have The Grint and I find that I really use it to track my GIR and fairways hit.  If you have tried either one...which one do you like better?
Thanks

I tried 18 birdies for a couple of rounds and never finished a complete the round. Was going to use it for stroke gained but spent more time fiddling with my phone than hitting the shot. Got too distracting.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

31 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I tried 18 birdies for a couple of rounds and never finished a complete the round. Was going to use it for stroke gained but spent more time fiddling with my phone than hitting the shot. Got too distracting.

Same with me.  It's also why I don't use The Grint on the course... that and the fact that my phone last year would only last 2 holes before the battery died.  Got a new iPhone, but I won't use it because of the distraction factor.

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

Same with me.  It's also why I don't use The Grint on the course... that and the fact that my phone last year would only last 2 holes before the battery died.  Got a new iPhone, but I won't use it because of the distraction factor.

I fall into the "old phone" category as well.  I find that if I am not careful that my phone will die pretty quickly when using The Grint.  I rarely use it for the GPS and use it more for shot tracking and data.  I guess I could use an external battery but who wants to bring one more thing to the course.  I know I can simply buy a new phone also but I would rather upgrade my golf equipment before I upgrade my phone!

• Like 1