Who uses The Grint

I have used The Grint for a few years now and generally like it. I had a GHIN with my club already and I added that, so now I dont pay my club that fee, which is about the cost of the Grint app. I'm struggling with some accuracy issues. Some distances are not lining up. I have my ball at the 150 marker on the course and the app tells me 140-143. That's significant at that range. Visually, I like it. I also like the stats. I play a lot of golf on my own, because my schedule is very flexible, so having a buddy with the app to attest my rounds is very helpful. I'm not good enough or have a desire to be embarrassed in a tourney by fudging my numbers. As any issue with a phone, you need a connection. To allow the GPS to settle in, takes a little bit so a range finder would be a bit quicker I assume. For the price, its good. But I've been considering a rangefinder for accuracy concerns.

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged     :cleveland-small: Wedges   :taylormade-small: M1 Driver   Tour Edge E7 Beta 3 wood and hybrid   :taylormade-small: Putter

38 minutes ago, mwsb1998 said:

I have used The Grint for a few years now and generally like it. I had a GHIN with my club already and I added that, so now I dont pay my club that fee, which is about the cost of the Grint app. I'm struggling with some accuracy issues. Some distances are not lining up. I have my ball at the 150 marker on the course and the app tells me 140-143. That's significant at that range. Visually, I like it. I also like the stats. I play a lot of golf on my own, because my schedule is very flexible, so having a buddy with the app to attest my rounds is very helpful. I'm not good enough or have a desire to be embarrassed in a tourney by fudging my numbers. As any issue with a phone, you need a connection. To allow the GPS to settle in, takes a little bit so a range finder would be a bit quicker I assume. For the price, its good. But I've been considering a rangefinder for accuracy concerns.

I've heard and read about all kinds of GPS having accuracy issues at times, and seen it myself on at least one occasion.  On the other hand, I've seen plenty of course markings that weren't exactly accurate either.  I'm a believer in the accuracy of laser measurements, but they don't tell the entire story if you can't see something that matters.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm with @DaveP043. I've seen some course markers that were well off. My course just redid all their 150 yard markers and they're spot on with what I'm seeing with my ShotScope.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 1 month later...

I understand course markers not being perfect.  Another example. Yesterday I played with a guy who used a range finder.  My Grint GPS said 95 yards to middle.  His laser shot 105 to the pin (in the middle).  I really like the app, I like it's connection to the GHIN, I like the data tracking, it doesn't suck my battery life.  But 10 yards is club change or at least a swing change difference.

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged     :cleveland-small: Wedges   :taylormade-small: M1 Driver   Tour Edge E7 Beta 3 wood and hybrid   :taylormade-small: Putter

4 hours ago, mwsb1998 said:

I understand course markers not being perfect.  Another example. Yesterday I played with a guy who used a range finder.  My Grint GPS said 95 yards to middle.  His laser shot 105 to the pin (in the middle).  I really like the app, I like it's connection to the GHIN, I like the data tracking, it doesn't suck my battery life.  But 10 yards is club change or at least a swing change difference.

You also need to consider that the flag probably wasn't actually "in the middle". Most courses have several different pin positions they rotate through and more than one of them is likely considered a "middle" pin position without actually being exactly in the center of the green. Also, you need to remember that those markers are an average of the distance to the front and back of the green. An odd shaped green could substantially change the distance you get from the marker compared to what you optically determine to be the "middle". 

https://www.golfnet.ie/sites/ContentControl/About Us Listing Assets/Measuring a Golf Course - USGA Manual.pdf

Edited by ChitownM2