Retirement and Golf

Glad you are enjoying your retirement

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after much thought about my financial situation at the ripe old age of 58 I've decided to retire.  Since graduating University with an Electronics Degrees 35 years ago I have had only 6 weeks

Congrats! Enjoy retirement and good luck on your golfing goals!   When you're not golfing, volunteer to help with stuff like the animal shelters etc.   Very rewarding and although it might not build m

OMG!!  At our age we should be just skin and bones!!  Totally agree, I lost speed over the last 10 years... 60-70 years old, but this past year I have gained 10 mph with the SuperSpeed training.  I'm

Posted Images

You can either live life or let life live you. I think retirement is the bomb. I’m 54 years old and 6 months into my first year of retirement. I’ve worked since I was 14 years old often having two or three jobs. Everyone says I’ll get bored....... No freakin way! Volunteerism is the way to go. Find something you like and give your heart and time to it.

I’m coaching high school basketball (JV), High School Golf and conducting pro bono leadership symposiums. All things I like, all things I’m good at, and all things I control. I’ve also started buying condos to create a rent by day business (VRBO/AirBNB).

In life you must do the things you have to do so that you can one day do the things you want to do. I’m working on the want to do side of the page ;)

• Like 6

Retirement is what you make of it. I thought I would need a part time job to fill in the gaps but noooo. We’re too busy!! There are plenty of things to do (see SteadyGolf) and yes Volunteering is a big deal!

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Between walking our county shelter dogs, golfing, and occasional rocking chair duty, I’m busier than a bee [emoji219] in a tar bucket!

• Like 4

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

Between walking our county shelter dogs, golfing, and occasional rocking chair duty, I’m busier than a bee [emoji219] in a tar bucket!

If my wife started volunteering at a Shelter we would have 20 dogs & cats.
Me too probably.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

12 minutes ago, Rickp said:

If my wife started volunteering at a Shelter we would have 20 dogs & cats.
Me too probably.....

You're a good man Rick!  We fostered two dogs in the last month and we almost adopted the first one.  She was a super sweet dog and now regret not taking her.  We had a meet and greet with another family and they gobbled her up. 😥

• Like 3

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

You're a good man Rick!  We fostered two dogs in the last month and we almost adopted the first one.  She was a super sweet dog and now regret not taking her.  We had a meet and greet with another family and they gobbled her up. [emoji26]

Our current rescue is a 15 year old cat. When she goes I hope we can find a rescue dog that we can adopt. The pup/dog has to be OK with riding in the cart[emoji106]

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 3:35 PM, Alf. S said:

So after much thought about my financial situation at the ripe old age of 58 I've decided to retire

Good decision and congratulations!  I retired at 55 and do not regret having done so for one New York minute.  You simply don't get the opportunity to say, gee, I wish I had retired earlier - you don't get the years back.  We relocated from WA to MT and now spend winters in Yuma, AZ.  I fly fish more than golf when at home but golf 3x/week while in Yuma.  Have fun with this chapter of life!

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• 1 month later...

Since I started this post I've invested in a few things

1. FlightScope Mevo

2. Swing lesson lesson

3 Putting lesson with Putt Lab analysis

4 TM Spider X

Working out my notice period at work and practising the wrong things H/C went up to 8.0. Driving was really getting me down. But with the lessons last week hopefully I've turned the corner. Marginally missed buffer on Saturday and Wednesday, 6 over 76 yesterday in the Senior League. 2 pitch in  Eagles  from 34 and 46 yds, putting still cost me but still WIP.

• Like 5

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

• 1 month later...

2 months into my retirement and golf is not going the way I planned, playing lots of it but game has gone in the wrong direction. gone up from 7.3 to 8.6 so playing off 9.

Personally I don't think the lessons mentioned on my previous post helped. I've always positioned the ball back in my stance closing down the club face, the Pro had me move it forward and getting more shoulder rotation. This has resulted in me knifing a lot of shots which have been pretty destructive especially when playing the shorter clubs. 56' wedge knifed = 130 yds c.f. 100 yds means lost ball. One thing the Pro did emphasise was  getting a consistent setup, if you hit a bad shot the question should be what did I not do rather than trying to change things on the course which I'm prone to do. Slowed things down and gone back to the old ball position last week's 5 rounds:- 81, 79, 85, 81, 76.

The 85 was interesting 1 over after 7 with 2 eagle putts and a lost ball, hitting the ball really well. The 8th and 13th holes at Kilsyth run parallel to each other I sliced my ball from the 8th heading towards the 13th. 4 ball on the other hole searching for a ball must have played my ball. I heard a guy shouting to his partner "what were you playing", reply "can't remember, but that will be it" then plays the ball and off they go. When I got there checking Arccos  data the old boy with an army swing must have hit it 260 yds?? Anyway lost concentration and crashed and burned.

For the 76, it was suppose to be the clubs Pro's Day yesterday a 4 ball better ball competition but it was cancelled due to torrential rain on Friday so had a bounce game (non hc counter) in 25 mph winds gusting to 35 mph, best round of the season.

Left with only about 6 counting competitions until the end of the season so will end up at worse 9 but hoping for some form to get a few cuts.

• Like 2

WIMB

31 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

Slowed things down and gone back to the old ball position last week's 5 rounds:- 81, 79, 85, 81, 76.

Sounds like that is your swing.

• Like 3

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

4 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Personally I don't think the lessons mentioned on my previous post helped.

Hmmm... It is possible to have the "wrong" teacher, for _you_ that is; eg. someone who forces a change on you because it's the way the tour pros do it, not security because it's hindering your individual swing.

But if it was the right change for you then of course you have to work on it for some amount of time before it starts to get comfortable on the course.

Anyway, good luck on your retirement and hope you're enjoying your time!

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

• 1 month later...

End of season update.

image.png.08945fdc6177912604d0cb1513eb097a.png

My lesson for the season is don't dick around too much with your kit and swing. If I look back to May my scoring was doing OK but was looking for a step improvement. I invested in lessons a new putter, constantly change my club setup; different wedges, 2h vs 3w, 3h vs 3i, driver settings, multiple fittings looking for a new driver. I was also getting anal about my stats on Arccos. Looking back my scoring was all over the place and my handicap showed it.

In the last 6 weeks I went back to things that have worked for me in the past and added a few simple things I have picked up on.

I always thought a had a strong left hand grip, watched Sky and them discussing Jon Rahm's grip I found out it was weak, so I changed that.

My take away has been an issue because I don't really understand cause and effect. I would go out onto the  range and tinker with it and come up with a "solution". This "solution" would breakdown on the course or with a different club. Focusing on a slow takeaway letting the body/shoulder turn naturally has helped this and given me more consistent ball striking. It has also help in the transition.

Chipping, I've chop and changed my setup over the last couple of years but now I have settled down to a comfortable setup. I have a funny stance at setup with my left foot almost pointing at the target but this keeps the bottom half quiet and using the takeaway swing thought about has helped.

Putting; my SpiderX is back in the garage and I'm now using an old Rosa Daytona and an old setup that worked for me in the past. I've always though my left hand/side contributed to me pulling putts. Over the winter season last year I consciously tried to use a conventional grip and swing which I continued to use into the summer. This has now been ditched reverting back to a old setup with my left elbow pointing away from my body and a very light left hand grip. This has taken the pull out of my putting.

With all this stuff in my head the last thing I'm using to re-enforce is to try and get my setup consistent and I use the acronym GAS.

GRIP: Strong Left Hand Grip
ADDRESS/AIM: Body Setup and target setting
SWING: Pratise takeaway to ensure body is turning correct and weight is transferring OK.

It seems to be working my first win of the season on Saturday with a 75 net 66 in windy conditions. Also my scoring is now more consistent. I did have a couple of rounds last week outside my handicap but this was in a 40mph gale at Dundonald on Wednesday and a few strategic mistakes playing Castle Stuart on Sunday, but I was still hitting the ball well on the 2 Championship courses.

Just a shame that I'll have to wait 6 months for my next handicap counting competitions .

• Like 2

WIMB

• 8 months later...

Season start last week for me and 2 cuts in 2 competitions now at lowest handicap ever of 6.9.

Changes?

During lockdown did a lot chipping in my back garden, focusing on pivoting around the sternum. You would think that my chipping would be 1st class but no. I changed my setup so that my sternum is pretty much over the ball for all my shots. Suddenly I’ve gone from 30% fairways hit to 70%. Approach shots not so good but hitting longer clubs better.

3.5 months to drop another 1.5 to reach my goal of cat 1 before I’m 60. Also have Senior Club Championship qualifier on Saturday so a busy time!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

WIMB

@Alf. S Congrats sir, early retirement is one of my goals in life, I am aiming to retire in about 20 years when I turn 60.

I would believe that the hardest part would be to find something to fill the extra time.

As other members mentioned, just find some other interests that would allow you to fill the void of not working.

• Like 3

Cut Draw Giveaways

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Woods and Putter set unofficial review.

Instagram tagging contest Crew

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

:titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putters   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Tommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

[mention=70944]Alf. S[/mention] Congrats sir, early retirement is one of my goals in life, I am aiming to retire in about 20 years when I turn 60.
I would believe that the hardest part would be to find something to fill the extra time.
As other members mentioned, just find some other interests that would allow you to fill the void of not working.

It’s not hard to fill the time. When I retired I thought I would need a part time job but here’s plenty to fill up the time especially w volunteer work.

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

What is this retirement?

[emoji16]
It’s not “retirement” actually doing what you want to do when you want to do it.
The trick is being in decent enough health to pull it off.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Congratulations on your retirement!  Besides golf, I'm sure there are other things you can get into.  Fishing, hunting etc...  Just enjoy the time off!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 3/15/2019 at 2:35 PM, Alf. S said:

So after much thought about my financial situation at the ripe old age of 58 I've decided to retire. 

Since graduating University with an Electronics Degrees 35 years ago I have had only 6 weeks out of work so I'm a bit worried if I will fill my time. There is only so much golf I can play.

I've always played golf but at the age of 40 I got my first handicap of 22. After a couple of years and a tip from a wise experience golfer I got down to 16 then 12. I had a couple of excellent rounds and was cut from 12 to 8 in the space of 3 weeks, which I could never play to. Now 8 years later for the last 3 years  I've oscillate between 7 and 8,  getting tantalising close to category 1. They say that once your over 50 you lose 5% muscle mass per year and I'm beginning to notice that my length is reducing. 

I've got 3 months notice to work but then the heat is on, my target is to get to be a category 1 golfer before I'm 60 so with a season and a half of retirement I'm hoping this will give me the spare time to get there.

Wish me luck.

Alf

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete