Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Ball for better bites on lob shots?

DrMJG

I understand that choosing a ball is highly personal.  And, my problem may very well be the result of the range ball syndrome of being hit too often. 

At the last rounds and during my practice, I am getting really good at lobs, even Phil quality lobs off my 60º.  I am able to adapt the distance as needed from 60 yards out!  

My problem seems to be the results after it lands

I get, on the intentionally not so high lobs,  a fast runner after landing. Today, usually 15 - 20 feet after touch down.

On the Phil sky shots, I get a bit of a bounce that goes 10 feet+ to the right.

Neither type of lob bites well. 

My coach says he sees nothing obviously wrong with my swing, stance, or adjustment for distance; and would change nothing at this time.

We have :srixon: range balls here.  The range is always very active.

IF you have a ball that you fell gives better bite over all, what should I look for. I primarily have played :bridgestone: e6 Soft during my return to golf.  

I recently received some :titleist: V1x. Though the first time I played them, I had no need for a real lob shot. Played well; my 50º and 56º wedge shots nicely ended up on the green.

Ok that is all the info.  Change my ball use or just accept it is as it is? Or is it a matter of getting my tough better?

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Any top tour ball is probably going to spin more than the e6.  So finding a ball with more greenside spin isn't really the issue, just pick an OEM and get one of their top end balls.

The issue will be finding the right ball for your game, this is where some trial and error is going to come in to play.  There's not really a magic answer, it's about playing a bunch of balls from various distances and types of shots and finding the ball that reacts the way you would like.

Honestly the easiest way to do this is by finding balls on the course.  Pay attention to what they are, and try to hit some different shots with them to see if you like it.  The other option is find a good deal on a top ball and try them out.  Srixon has some deals on their 2019 Z-Star balls with a 6 ball sample pack for $10 if you can find them.  Snell MTB is always a good value, same with Vice.  

Honestly though, in the "tour" ball category there isn't really a bad ball.  They just have slightly different characteristics that will work better for certain types of players.

Last part here.  I hate it when someone says 'Please don't take offense to this' because you know they are going to say something offensive right afterwards.  But...please don't take offense to this 🙂  From the looks of it you're around an 18 handicap hitting lob shots with a 60 degree wedge.  I wouldn't really be expecting a hop and stop or a suck back on those shots.  If you can hit the green with them you're already doing much better than most in that range.  Also there's nothing wrong with a consistent run out on those shots.  If it's consistent you can play for it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

19 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

Any top tour ball is probably going to spin more than the e6.  So finding a ball with more greenside spin isn't really the issue, just pick an OEM and get one of their top end balls.

The issue will be finding the right ball for your game, this is where some trial and error is going to come in to play.  There's not really a magic answer, it's about playing a bunch of balls from various distances and types of shots and finding the ball that reacts the way you would like.

Honestly the easiest way to do this is by finding balls on the course.  Pay attention to what they are, and try to hit some different shots with them to see if you like it.  The other option is find a good deal on a top ball and try them out.  Srixon has some deals on their 2019 Z-Star balls with a 6 ball sample pack for $10 if you can find them.  Snell MTB is always a good value, same with Vice.  

Honestly though, in the "tour" ball category there isn't really a bad ball.  They just have slightly different characteristics that will work better for certain types of players.

Last part here.  I hate it when someone says 'Please don't take offense to this' because you know they are going to say something offensive right afterwards.  But...please don't take offense to this 🙂  From the looks of it you're around an 18 handicap hitting lob shots with a 60 degree wedge.  I wouldn't really be expecting a hop and stop or a suck back on those shots.  If you can hit the green with them you're already doing much better than most in that range.  Also there's nothing wrong with a consistent run out on those shots.  If it's consistent you can play for it.

^^^^^All this! Well stated Sir! Ditto.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

If you are hitting true lob shots, then you shouldn't be sucking the ball back.  True lob shots come out with very little backspin relative to a full swing with a square face.

No ball is going to make a true lob shot spin back any crazy amount.  Spin is generated via cub speed and technique.  A lob/flop shot comes to rest(stops) quickly because of its steep land angle, not because of a ton of back spin.  No one tour ball is going to magically do something another tour ball cant

I understand that choosing a ball is highly personal.  And, my problem may very well be the result of the range ball syndrome of being hit too often. 

At the last rounds and during my practice, I am getting really good at lobs, even Phil quality lobs off my 60º.  I am able to adapt the distance as needed from 60 yards out!  

My problem seems to be the results after it lands

I get, on the intentionally not so high lobs,  a fast runner after landing. Today, usually 15 - 20 feet after touch down.

On the Phil sky shots, I get a bit of a bounce that goes 10 feet+ to the right.

Neither type of lob bites well. 

My coach says he sees nothing obviously wrong with my swing, stance, or adjustment for distance; and would change nothing at this time.

We have srixon.png range balls here.  The range is always very active.

IF you have a ball that you fell gives better bite over all, what should I look for. I primarily have played bridgestone.png e6 Soft during my return to golf.  

I recently received some titleist.png V1x. Though the first time I played them, I had no need for a real lob shot. Played well; my 50º and 56º wedge shots nicely ended up on the green.

Ok that is all the info.  Change my ball use or just accept it is as it is? Or is it a matter of getting my tough better?

I play a pro v1 for that reason. For a short time I played an e6 but had the same results as you did. Also gamed a TP5 and got similar result as the pro v 1 around the green.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... Many factors involved in a successful lob shot. Of course a urethane ball is a requisite, and as others have said just about any urethane covered ball. An open face, sometimes severely open is also almost always necessary. And of course speed, you don't hit a careful lob shot, you must trust your technique and hit the ball with some clubhead speed. I can hit a lob and have it almost stop right where it hits. More often it will hit make a little hop and stop. But these shots are executed from a good tight lie. From a slightly fluffy lie I am gonna get some roll out. From a lie in the rough or some gnarly bermuda, I am gonna get substantial roll out. the green is another major factor. So depending on the slope, the grain or the speed of the greens themselves, a lob shot can stop very quickly or roll out 20 feet or more.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

@jlukes hit the nail on the head.  True lob, and flop shots for that matter, aren't supposed to stop from spin, unless you're making full swing speed shots.  It's the descent angle that helps these shots stop close to where they land.  Most any urethane ball will generate more than enough spin to stop quickly with normal approaches, chips, and pitches.  At your handicap, unless you just don't lose a lot of balls and your higher score comes from elsewhere, I'd look into the Srixon Q-Star Tour or Taylormade Project (a).  There are some other urethane cover balls out there in the $30 range, but none that I've seen on the course.  Both the QST and PA balls are designed for players who want the feel and spin, but often don't have the swing speed for the tour level balls.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Lots of good responses here. I think it comes down to a combination of what's been said. Technique, lie, and green conditions play as much a factor in how much a well executed lob shot will roll as the ball. The e6 you've been gaming has a surlyn cover which won't spin as much off your wedges as a urethane covered ball. Finding the right one for you game will take some trial and error. As mentioned, there are some more cost friendly options on urethane covered balls from the direct to consumer brands like the Snell MTB line or the Vice Pro line. I'm about to take part in the testing for Bridgestone's new e12 that is supposed to have improved short game performance over the e6, though it is still a surlyn cover. 

Enjoy the search.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Archived