Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ethical posting (GHIN) when injured

pulledabill

Went through double carpal tunnel surgery, posted 1 round (43 from the reds)  after taking a couple months off, then hours later broke my thumb.  While my hands are still in some minor pain after surgery and I am still taking care of the thumb and not playing. 

What I am getting at....Walked 18 with a buddy just as a spectator for some exercise.  We got to talking about handicaps which lead in to me posting higher (most likely) scores then my normal 6 handicap while my hands were still not perfect.  His theory is that if it takes me until say June to get back to my normal scores and I post a bunch of scores that could raise me to say a 12 or whatever, that I will have an unfair advantage when it comes times for tournament play.  Another buddy who works in the pro shop says post away and roll with it as you have no idea if or when you will be pain free.

Maybe I'm overthinking and just bored at work at 7:30 in the morning.  

FYI...I'm posting as I have no idea when I will be pain free.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Interesting question. For my part, I think it really is a matter of intent. Someone is a cheater if he's purposefully trying to game the system. If you're playing within the rules, you're not cheating. We all recognize there are times, even on the course, that adherence to the rules actually grants a player an advantage.

If you're going out and playing your best game, your handicap is what it is.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I say post all of your scores, the good and the bad, regardless of situations.  Yes, when things return to normal, you'll have a great advantage (maybe), but as you're suffering through a bad period, you're at a severe disadvantage.  The old adage "pay as you go up, and win as you come down" certainly applies here.

There's a big difference between going through a rough patch, either due to health or just plain losing your swing, and just outright sandbagging to get a fake high handicap for the purpose of winning net tournament prizes.  Those who know you will know the difference.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

The committee is authorized by the USGA to grant you a Modified Handicap (with an "M") designation to compensate for an injury that results in a material change of form. They would also be able to Modify it back to "normal" when the injury resolves and your form returns. Even if you post everything while this is an ongoing issue the committee still has the ability to Modify if your current form at the time of a tournament is different than your current handicap. So talking with the Handicap Chair or Committee is a good place to start.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Post all your scores, and let the handicap take care of itself the way it is supposed to. 

How would it be any different than taking time off from playing to take lessons and practice? You would expect to be posting lower scores when getting back on the course, but there is no guarantee of it. As you do post better scores, the handicap trend will factor in for the recency of better scores.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

In all honesty, however, when I read the thread title I initially thought you were asking about posting in the forum when injured.

Too much moderator stuff on the mind 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

In all honesty, however, when I read the thread title I initially thought you were asking about posting in the forum when injured.

Too much moderator stuff on the mind 🙂

We think too similarly. I don't know if that's good or bad... 🙂

To the OP, your scores are your scores, they are supposed to be posted. Unfortunately sometimes, it gives you an unfair advantage, there is nothing you can really do about it. If you can get a modified handicap like @gaussman1 said, that would be what I'd do. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Doesn’t matter why scores are high or low they are what you are or what your potential is at the time.

if a 12 hdcp took lessons and regressed a little before posting scores in the 70s would that be an unfair advantage too? After all he posted higher scores while getting better

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I adjusted the headline a bit.

I'm certainly not looking to gain an advantage and I'd much rather be healthy.  If I go out and start shooting upper 80's daily and my hands hurt, I'm going back to the healing process.  If I was shooting those scores because of my game, I'm hitting the range to figure out what the heck.  I might make an attempt to play a few holes tonight to see how it goes. 

Good info on the modified if needed.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I would be careful about playing too much with an injury.  Yes, it will likely result in higher scores, but you also might pick up a swing flaw to compensate for the pain.  That could result in your handicap not coming down as quickly as you would think after the pain is gone.  I only say this because it happened to me after my knee replacement.  We all want to get back to playing as soon as we can, but it might be better to spend the time now working on your short game.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I would be careful about playing too much with an injury.  Yes, it will likely result in higher scores, but you also might pick up a swing flaw to compensate for the pain.  That could result in your handicap not coming down as quickly as you would think after the pain is gone.  I only say this because it happened to me after my knee replacement.  We all want to get back to playing as soon as we can, but it might be better to spend the time now working on your short game.

For sure...I held off playing after surgery for quite awhile and kept it to a little putting and chipping. With the thumb Ive been putting and chipping regular and last night I could chip easily with my normal right thumb placement. I did play a few holes a few days ago kind of floating that right thumb, but I felt some compensation in the swing so I stopped.  Headed out to chip some and might try a couple holes to see how it goes. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Doesn’t matter why scores are high or low they are what you are or what your potential is at the time.
if a 12 hdcp took lessons and regressed a little before posting scores in the 70s would that be an unfair advantage too? After all he posted higher scores while getting better
Believe it or not that rapidly improving situation is covered in the Handicap Manual as well

(i) Improving Faster Than The System Can React 
A player recently taking up the game may improve too rapidly for a Handicap Index calculated by the standard procedure to reflect potential ability. For example, a player who is practicing aspects of that player's game and/or taking playing lessons (see Decision 5-1a/4) may not have a scoring record that exhibits potential ability and may need a Handicap Index adjustment.

I've heard that next year revisions will take place daily instead of 2x a month with every new score posted immediately impacting handicap so a lot of this type of thing will take care of itself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

So I tweaked my back last year and just tried playing through it. my score wasn’t good at all but decided not to post it because it wasn’t a true score. Buddies were busting my balls for not posting my score but it felt dirty possibly posting that

18 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I agree with Kenny here, whole heartedly. I had a friend that had shoulder surgery and even though the surgeon told him not to golf for 5 months, he started hitting balls after 3. Big mistake. Now his shoulder clicks and hurts on almost every full swing shot.

I had both of my shoulders done over the last 4 years. I followed the doctors orders explicitly and almost doubled up on the rehab reps. No issues whatsoever with either shoulder.

When I was released to golf, I posted scores and yes, they were a bit higher than before the surgeries, but it all normalizes in the end.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9.0*    3-Wd: Taylormade M1-3HL    Hybrid: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 - 18*    Irons: Callaway Apex CF-19 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 50, 56, 58    Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider    Ball : Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow
On 3/16/2019 at 3:51 PM, Kenny B said:

I couldn't agree more.  Last year I tore a ligament in my left thumb.  I was out for a good month and a half and then when I came back I was having trouble setting the club at the top of my swing.  This changed my swing and I just tried various ways to compensate for the pain.  It took me all the way to Sept to start playing like normal again.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I almost don't care what anyone else, says, because the rules say you post your scores.  You can't choose not to post high ones because you're injured, just as you can't choose not to post low ones  because you were lucky.  Chances are that you'll improve slowly, so your handicap will keep pace with your physical recovery.  You certainly can be eligible to have your handicap modified upward based on your injury, and from the way you've phrased your postings here, you'll ASK to have your handicap modified downward if your recovery outpaces the handicap's system to adapt to your return to good play.  Good luck!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I almost don't care what anyone else, says, because the rules say you post your scores.  You can't choose not to post high ones because you're injured, just as you can't choose not to post low ones  because you were lucky.  Chances are that you'll improve slowly, so your handicap will keep pace with your physical recovery.  You certainly can be eligible to have your handicap modified upward based on your injury, and from the way you've phrased your postings here, you'll ASK to have your handicap modified downward if your recovery outpaces the handicap's system to adapt to your return to good play.  Good luck!

Our posting season here in Oregon started March 1st, I paid my fees on that same day. I broke my thumb March 2. If Id broke my thumb before I paid for my card, Id certainly kept my money in MY bank acount until I could play comfortably. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

4 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Our posting season here in Oregon started March 1st, I paid my fees on that same day. I broke my thumb March 2. If Id broke my thumb before I paid for my card, Id certainly kept my money in MY bank acount until I could play comfortably. 

Completely understandable.  But since you're already in the system, the right thing to do is to follow the rules of that system.  To me, that's the ethical thing to do, the numbers will sort themselves out.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Not injury related but my Dad passed away when I was 20. Couldn't get my head straight to play. I posted every score because it was my score, I went from a 5 to an 11 within one revision. But it was what my handicap was at that time, they were my scores. My handicap was not a reflection of my potential or what I had been playing like previously it was a reflection of how I was playing at that point in time. I caught a lot of s$&t for it, but the scores were the scores. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Archived