Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Titleist under rated?

revkev

They may be winning on tour but you could take those same players, put any other gear in their bag and they would still win.  Titleist makes good gear but IMO they rely too much on their brand image and too little on actual innovation or quality.

Ever since Titleist got bought by FILA they have been coasting and resting on their laurels, IMO.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, Badgerstate said:

They may be winning on tour but you could take those same players, put any other gear in their bag and they would still win.  Titleist makes good gear but IMO they rely too much on their brand image and too little on actual innovation or quality.

Ever since Titleist got bought by FILA they have been coasting and resting on their laurels, IMO.

Yet they have done things to get away from some aspects of their image like adding ap3 to give those who want ap2 look but need ap1 forgiveness, they addressed the negative feedback of lack of distance with the TS line, they spent years doing r&d to bring a yellow pro v to the market, they’ve brought high end shafts as stock in their woods.

So while they maintain the dedication to engineering and design vice marketing and still want the golfer regardless of skill level that want to play great, quality equipment they have addressed their weak points.

unfortunately they are a brand that has a pre conceived notion and there will be a segment of people who will not pay attention to what they are doing and realize it’s not the same titleist while maintaining the company and brand prestige 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've not really ever been overly fond of Titleist. I do respect their engineering and stuff but they're far too traditional in looks for my liking.

I hit the TS3 shortly after it came out, along with the Ping G400 and TaylorMade M3. I had fairly similar numbers with all of them, and I thought the TS3 was quite good in fact, but I much prefer the aesthetics of the other two.

I also wasn't a fan of the Pro V range of balls I tested many years ago and ended up going back to my Nike balls until they shut down the hard goods.

Don't think there's anything wrong with them going for the traditional look by any means, it's just not for me. Aesthetics are an important functional requirement for me in any club. Titleist just hasn't ticked that box for me. Maybe in the future...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

21 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yet they have done things to get away from some aspects of their image like adding ap3 to give those who want ap2 look but need ap1 forgiveness, they addressed the negative feedback of lack of distance with the TS line, they spent years doing r&d to bring a yellow pro v to the market, they’ve brought high end shafts as stock in their woods.

So while they maintain the dedication to engineering and design vice marketing and still want the golfer regardless of skill level that want to play great, quality equipment they have addressed their weak points.

unfortunately they are a brand that has a pre conceived notion and there will be a segment of people who will not pay attention to what they are doing and realize it’s not the same titleist while maintaining the company and brand prestige 

What does the Titleist do that is any different than what every other OEM is doing?  Take Titleist's best and compare it to what Callaway and Taylormade are doing and you see nothing special from Titleist. 

I used to be a pretty big Titleist fanboy.  The 1st set of namebrand irons I ever bought was a set of DCI 981s and to this day I still enjoy playing them from time to time because they are such beautiful, classic-looking, sweet irons.  A couple years ago, I bought a set of AP1s and really wanted to like them but they were just awful.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

13 hours ago, Badgerstate said:

What does the Titleist do that is any different than what every other OEM is doing?  Take Titleist's best and compare it to what Callaway and Taylormade are doing and you see nothing special from Titleist. 

I used to be a pretty big Titleist fanboy.  The 1st set of namebrand irons I ever bought was a set of DCI 981s and to this day I still enjoy playing them from time to time because they are such beautiful, classic-looking, sweet irons.  A couple years ago, I bought a set of AP1s and really wanted to like them but they were just awful.

Imo titleist has a quality control process for all clubs and balls that is better than any other company. They age built around the engineering, design and Qc. They know who they are and stay true to that but also know where their weaknesses are and strive to address them without compromising whonthey are. The yellow prov is a perfect example. There was a clamor for them to have a yellow ball. They could have released one at any point but they didn’t want to compromise the titleist name or way so they spent the time to get the yellow color and coating right before they released it.

Other companies like Callaway and TM have a changing identity. Callaway brought on the current marketing team fo change their image and they started the 5 year war to remove confusion from the consumer and they did that for awhile now they are becoming who they were at TM and it’s constant release of gear in the same category. Then look at the epic, rogue and epic flash. Rogue isn’t a replacement for epic but they way it was marketed would make  one think it was and now the same for the epic flash. Rogue isn’t even mentioned anywhere even though it’s still in its 18-24 month release cycle.

Many say they have been confused by TM for several years and despite the fact they have been on yearly releases for awhile and not just throwing clubs out every 6 months they still have a perception of constant releases. They were about low spin and forward cg, then it was the t-track, y track and now reverse t track. Like Callaway they had a time where the hottest new innovation was gone the next release. They will continue to improve imo under current ownership but then will have to deal with change once this investment company sells.

Ping is like titleist and why both have a loyal fan base.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Everyone seems to love Titleist. The quality is great as is the consistency.

I, however, don't use any Titleist equipment because quite frankly I'm very realistic about my game. $50-$65 for balls that at my level I'm going to lose is RIDICULOUS! $1200- 2000 for a set of irons that aren't going to make me a scratch golfer isn't worth it to me....yet. 

Imo Titleist prices itself out of the market for mid to high hadicapers who are realists and are honest with themselves when they don't have an endless budget. 

After hitting NUMEROUS new irons last year I finally decided on Wilson V6 irons. I love the blade-like look and the forgiveness. Plus forged steel so the loft and lie can be adjusted..FANTASTIC! Not the cool choice but a great fit and under a $grand. 

This year it's time for a new driver and wedges.... I'll update when I decide which ones cause u never know... Titleist could end up in the bag. 

Edited by GolfDegenerate
Mispells

3 hours ago, GolfDegenerate said:

Everyone seems to love Titleist. The quality is great as is the consistency.

I, however, don't use any Titleist equipment because quite frankly I'm very realistic about my game. $50-$65 for balls that at my level I'm going to lose is RIDICULOUS! $1200- 2000 for a set of irons that aren't going to make me a scratch golfer isn't worth it to me....yet. 

Imo Titleist prices itself out of the market for mid to high hadicapers who are realists and are honest with themselves when they don't have an endless budget. 

After hitting NUMEROUS new irons last year I finally decided on Wilson V6 irons. I love the blade-like look and the forgiveness. Plus forged steel so the loft and lie can be adjusted..FANTASTIC! Not the cool choice but a great fit and under a $grand. 

This year it's time for a new driver and wedges.... I'll update when I decide which ones cause u never know... Titleist could end up in the bag. 

The price argument in the last 2-3 years is weak. Titleist is same price or cheaper than most of the big brands out there. With most brands offering the ability to buy only the irons one wants vice a full 3 or 4 thru pw $1200 regardless off brand goes out the window.  Tour level balls tend to run within a few dollars of each other.

Historically Titleist equip can be hard to hit. For the averrage golfer. The tour pros are.a different. breed thats why they Dominate on tour. Plus they make the money off ball sales  not so much clubs so that is where the advertiseing dollars go. Think about it how many clubs to balls does the average player purchase each season

:adams-small: F11 Driver and 3 Wood 

:ping-small: I20 irons red dot -1/2 inch

:cleveland-small: Cg hybrid

:cleveland-small: Rtg wedges 54 56

:bridgestone-small:

I think that was true in the past but at least recently they've really begun offering lines that fit every level of golfer. They've got 9 ranges of irons to pick from and they're fairly easy to blend for a combo set.

MB
CB
T-MB
AP1
AP2
AP3
CP-01
CP-02
C16

They've also offered a "better player" club and a forgiving model in their hybrids, woods and drivers with the H1, H2, and the TS2, TS3, and now TS4 - and formerly D2 and D3 - in the woods and drivers, plus they offered a C16 driver.

Like I said previously, I'm not big on Titleist but I am mindful of what they're doing being a bit of a club geek.

Definitely agree on the ball thing. Know a few guys who swear by Titleist balls and won't even try anything else.

Historically Titleist equip can be hard to hit. For the averrage golfer. The tour pros are.a different. breed thats why they Dominate on tour. Plus they make the money off ball sales  not so much clubs so that is where the advertiseing dollars go. Think about it how many clubs to balls does the average player purchase each season

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

There isn’t much more to add that hasn’t been said. Titleist has absolutely embraced the market and has evolved to fit a wide spectrum of golfers. I was on Titleist Staff from 2003-2006 when I was an apprentice. Not only was I satisfied with the product and custom offerings but our Rep was a top notch class act. Of all vendors, Titleist always had an exclusivity and prestige.

Need something? Drop of a hat it was there. Question about product? Call my flip phone. (It was pre-iPhone)

What we should say repeatedly about manufacturers? Try everything! The Titleist you’re familiar with from ten years ago isn’t the same company.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

9 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I think that was true in the past but at least recently they've really begun offering lines that fit every level of golfer. They've got 9 ranges of irons to pick from and they're fairly easy to blend for a combo set.

MB
CB
T-MB
AP1
AP2
AP3
CP-01
CP-02
C16

They've also offered a "better player" club and a forgiving model in their hybrids, woods and drivers with the H1, H2, and the TS2, TS3, and now TS4 - and formerly D2 and D3 - in the woods and drivers, plus they offered a C16 driver.

Like I said previously, I'm not big on Titleist but I am mindful of what they're doing being a bit of a club geek.

Definitely agree on the ball thing. Know a few guys who swear by Titleist balls and won't even try anything else.

Since 2010 with the 710 irons offering and the 910 woods and hybrids is when the brand changed imo to help draw in the broader spectrum of golfers. Prior to that it was better players irons and drivers that weren’t very forgiving. Unfortunately they are a brand that had the country club and better player clubs perception and many golfers stayed away from trying their stuff and even with the improvement every year in their stuff some still refuse to try the clubs because they don’t think they are good enough to play titleist 

• 1 month later...

I think that Titleist was, in the past, thought of as a "players only" brand. With the advent of Titleist Thursdays, they have shown more players that they do have products in the lineup for players of all skill levels. They might not be the longest clubs out there but they are very well made and offer a lot of consistency in the products. They have started to spend more effort on marketing things other than balls. We will see if that translates into better club sales numbers.

:titelist-small: TSi2 9.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3 15 / 18.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3H 20° (set for 22)

:titelist-small: CNCPT 5i-48°

:vokey-small: SM8 52° / 58°

:cameron-small: Fastback 1.0 Circle T

It is very much a performance brand and has been known as such. For the LONGEST time it was been known as a players brand. The clubs were designed for the low hdcp to scratch golfers.

Having recently tried the new TS2 & TS3 drivers, they have definitely began to create clubs for mid handicap players. I am a 14 hdcp and felt very comfortable hitting those drivers for once. I have been playing the vokey wedges for some time and love them. With all of the different bounces and grinds, it can be easy for people to get the wrong equipment for their game.

On this path and with a little more club marketing (not only for the balls), they can take over some market share for sure!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder