edingc

~$10 DIY Club Measuring Ruler

I originally wanted to order the Dynacraft bench ruler kit from Hireko, but they recently went out of stock. Additionally, they are around $30. So I decided to just make my own for the time being.

USGA/R&A measuring is based on a 60-degree lie angle. That is what these plans are based on.

Material List

• Empire 48 in. Aluminum Straight Edge Ruler - $8.97 (Home Depot)
  • 2 foot scrap 1x3 Pine (good quality, S4S)
  • Wood Glue

Tools

• Miter Saw
  • Clamp

Set the miter saw to 30 degrees. Slice a corner of the 1x3 off. This leaves a 60 degree angle. Reset the saw to 90 degrees. Slice off a few inches behind the angle, leaving a foot or so of straight 1x3. 

Flip the angled cut so that it matches like below. Glue and clamp.

IMG_20190316_142625.jpg.39892cd572be7e8c3311f4b7eae8d727.jpg

Once the glue dries, slide the ruler tight against the straight edge, butting up to the base of the angle.

To measure, press the sole of the club against the angle. Press the hosel flush against the bottom board. Measure club length.

IMG_20190316_142717.jpg.afd53ecd690aa40419aed26c46c13569.jpg

IMG_20190316_142729.jpg.dc236d4408d76673f148bf58da7512db.jpg

My Wilson C300 4 iron is spot on the 39-inch specification.

• Like 7

Great idea! I just got a 48" ruler at Harbor Freight for $3.20 using my 20% super coupon. 

• Like 2

Glad everyone is finding this to be useful. I use it a lot more than I would have imagined.

• Like 1

I tried to make one a while back that I could adjust lie angles with and thought I did a good job until I compared measurements with a guy who had a Golf smith measuring tool. 

As soon as I get home I'm going to make one like yours.  It looks so simple! Thanks!

• Like 2