Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

I’m gonna need a ruling over here

Wedgie

I played in a member/guest the last couple of days. Match play low net. My buddy has a 15 footer for birdie in a tight match. Hits the putt and maybe a third of the ball is hanging over the edge of the cup when the ball stops. The ball probably wasn’t going to drop but our competitor runs up, picks up his ball and says, “that’s good”. Followed that up with, “I picked it up before something bad happened”. This literally happened within 2 seconds of the ball stopping. Can he pick up the ball like that or does he need to give it the allotted time to see if it drops?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

5 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I played in a member/guest the last couple of days. Match play low net. My buddy has a 15 footer for birdie in a tight match. Hits the putt and maybe a third of the ball is hanging over the edge of the cup when the ball stops. The ball probably wasn’t going to drop but our competitor runs up, picks up his ball and says, “that’s good”. Followed that up with, “I picked it up before something bad happened”. This literally happened within 2 seconds of the ball stopping. Can he pick up the ball like that or does he need to give it the allotted time to see if it drops?

I don’t know if that’s legal or not...but it’s not good etiquette at the minimum. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

I don’t know if that’s legal or not...but it’s not good etiquette at the minimum. 

He was a jerk. By the way thanks for the Launcher HB chipping tip. Saved us a few holes along the way using the Launcher PW for bump and runs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

9 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

And to follow that up. The pros always say get your mouth off my ball. How about get your hands off my ball?

Right Handed. 

1 minute ago, Wedgie said:

He was a jerk. By the way thanks for the Launcher HB chipping tip. Saved us a few holes along the way using the Launcher PW for bump and runs.

You are welcome on the tip.  I am glad it saved you some shots.  Those things are great clubs to chip with. They just don’t want to dig. 

Right Handed. 

You are welcome on the tip.  I am glad it saved you some shots.  Those things are great clubs to chip with. They just don’t want to dig. 

Exactly, chipping from Bermuda can be a nightmare.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

16 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Exactly, chipping from Bermuda can be a nightmare.

You are right about Bermuda. It’s like Hitting off Velcro. 

Right Handed. 

I found the interpretation in the old golf rules (couldn't find in 2019 version) but I assume it still applies.  The player is given time to get to the hole to determine if the ball is still in motion.   By picking up the ball the player picked up a ball in motion.

16-2/2

Ball Overhanging Hole Knocked Away by Opponent Before Player Determines Status

Q.In a match between A and B, A putts and his ball apparently comes to rest, but is overhanging the hole. Within five seconds, B concedes A's next stroke and knocks his ball away. Was B entitled to knock A's ball away?
A.No. Under Rule 16-2, A is allowed a reasonable time to reach the hole and an additional ten seconds to determine whether his ball is at rest. Since B infringed A's rights, in equity (Rule 1-4), B lost the hole, assuming that A's putt was not for a half, in which case Rule 2-2 (Halved Hole) would apply.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I found the interpretation in the old golf rules (couldn't find in 2019 version) but I assume it still applies.  The player is given time to get to the hole to determine if the ball is still in motion.   By picking up the ball the player picked up a ball in motion.
16-2/2

Ball Overhanging Hole Knocked Away by Opponent Before Player Determines Status

Q.In a match between A and B, A putts and his ball apparently comes to rest, but is overhanging the hole. Within five seconds, B concedes A's next stroke and knocks his ball away. Was B entitled to knock A's ball away?
A.No. Under Rule 16-2, A is allowed a reasonable time to reach the hole and an additional ten seconds to determine whether his ball is at rest. Since B infringed A's rights, in equity (Rule 1-4), B lost the hole, assuming that A's putt was not for a half, in which case Rule 2-2 (Halved Hole) would apply.

Thanks cnosil for the detail. Frankly we didn’t have any clue what to do.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

12 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Thanks cnosil for the detail. Frankly we didn’t have any clue what to do.

Wish I could have found this ruling on the 2019 USGA rules site.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’m surprised you found it at all. To top it off the dude was a 10 handicap that shot 33, 35 and 39 in the 3 nine hole matches we are aware of what he scored. For perspective I’m a 9 and shot, 42, 43, 41, 44 and 46.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I’m surprised you found it at all. To top it off the dude was a 10 handicap that shot 33, 35 and 39 in the 3 nine hole matches we are aware of what he scored. For perspective I’m a 9 and shot, 42, 43, 41, 44 and 46.

I guess he even said something along the lines of “I’ve never played this good”. But from what you’ve said he probably just laughed the whole time. I hate a dang sandbagger.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I guess he even said something along the lines of “I’ve never played this good”. But from what you’ve said he probably just laughed the whole time. I hate a dang sandbagger.

I was waiting for it but he never said anything. We still beat him as we ham and egged our way thru 9.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

@cnosil beat me to it.  Not only was the guy a jerk, he's apparently a sandbagger.  Too bad you didn't call the pro for an official ruling.  You would have won the hole.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 3/16/2019 at 7:10 PM, cnosil said:

This is in 13.3b in the 2019 Rules:

If the opponent in match play or another player in stroke play deliberately lifts or moves the player’s ball overhanging the hole before the waiting time has ended:

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Thanks, if anyone could find it I knew it would be you. !!!

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Thanks, if anyone could find it I knew it would be you. !!!

Thanks, but I wasn't sure I could find it.  The more I look, the more that it seems like most issues are covered, it just taking some time learning where to look for them.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 1 month later...

This had probably been answered, but you have 10 seconds once you get to the ball. He violated the rules.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

• 1 year later...
On 3/16/2019 at 9:44 PM, Wedgie said:

Rule 13.3b: ball is deemed to be holed with previous stroke - here's the rule from the new 2019 Rules Modernisation:

Regards Fraz

2019 Rules Modernisation: Rule 13 - Putting Green
13.3 - What to Do If Ball Overhanging Hole Is Lifted or Moved Before Waiting Time Has Ended

If a ball overhanging the hole is lifted or moved before the waiting time under Rule 13.3a has ended, the ball is treated as having come to rest:

• The ball must be replaced on the lip of the hole (see Rule 14.2), and
  • The waiting time under Rule 13.3a no longer applies to the ball. (See Rule 9.3 for what to do if the replaced ball is then moved by natural forces.)

If the opponent in match play or another player in stroke play deliberately lifts or moves the player’s ball overhanging the hole before the waiting time has ended:

• In match play, the player’s ball is treated as holed with the previous stroke, and there is no penalty to the opponent under Rule 11.2b.
  • In stroke play, the player who lifted or moved the ball gets the general penalty (two penalty strokes). The ball must be replaced on the lip of the hole (see Rule 14.2).

On 3/16/2019 at 5:44 PM, Wedgie said:

Based on the Jordan documentary sounds like you were playing MJ or this guy learned from him

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA