TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cost of being fit for clubs

BestGuess

Just played today with a gentlemen with a whole bag of new clubs......He said he spent 4 and half hours getting fit at Club Champions and bought every club...near $5,000 when he finished....Callaway Driver  3 wood (new Flash) 5 wood Rouge...3 hybrid (Flash) 5 - PW New Callaway  3 Volky wedges and even a new Cameron Putter,  guess I will wait for that dream 4 and half hours.....

Buying the same set "off the rack" would set you back about 3500 or more.  The added price is having CC build the clubs to their exact standards.  It can be done cheaper by other builders or by modifying the shaft choices to those offered by the manufacturer.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I have to respond to this CC thread. CC is nothing but a rip off plain and simple. Their entire model , up sell shafts hitting off mats. 

1st, you cant "Get fitted in 4.5 hours" 2nd, most likely the most important NEVER BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HIT THEM ON THE COURSE. 

Just imagine, hitting every club in your bag off mats over and over again in one fail swoop. OUCH 

No qualified fitter would even send a customer out the door with  an entire set never hitting them on the course.  Entire bag takes me 2 weeks or more (depends on how fast the customer can get to the range/course to hit). The only club I will allow out the door from off mats, putter.

From the best fitters the process is less than 500.00. That includes fit, making and servicing the clubs in the bag for the life of that club. Many who sell clubs, flat 150.00 charge if you buy driver or iron set.

One more victim of CC, they are giving this business a black eye.

IMO

10shot

13 hours ago, BestGuess said:

Just played today with a gentlemen with a whole bag of new clubs......He said he spent 4 and half hours getting fit at Club Champions and bought every club...near $5,000 when he finished....Callaway Driver  3 wood (new Flash) 5 wood Rouge...3 hybrid (Flash) 5 - PW New Callaway  3 Volky wedges and even a new Cameron Putter,  guess I will wait for that dream 4 and half hours.....

The big question - did he play any better? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, 10shot said:

I have to respond to this CC thread. CC is nothing but a rip off plain and simple. Their entire model , up sell shafts hitting off mats. 

1st, you cant "Get fitted in 4.5 hours" 2nd, most likely the most important NEVER BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HIT THEM ON THE COURSE. 

Just imagine, hitting every club in your bag off mats over and over again in one fail swoop. OUCH 

No qualified fitter would even send a customer out the door with  an entire set never hitting them on the course.  Entire bag takes me 2 weeks or more (depends on how fast the customer can get to the range/course to hit). The only club I will allow out the door from off mats, putter.

From the best fitters the process is less than 500.00. That includes fit, making and servicing the clubs in the bag for the life of that club. Many who sell clubs, flat 150.00 charge if you buy driver or iron set.

IMO

10shot

Certainly your opinion.   A lot here I could write a whole book on but I'll pass for now, and just say a couple things.

• You're not forced to buy through Club Champion,and they put zero pressure on your to do so. You can take the specs from the fitting and go buy where ever you would like. 
  • 4.5 hours is plenty for a fitting, been there done that.  Actually any more and you're past the point of exhaustion and not getting true results.
  • $500 is more than fair for 4.5 to 5 hours time.  Does your Doctor, auto mechanic, lawyer, tax pro...etc charge less than $100 an hour?

I've been fit inside and outside and by one of the best in the world and by a teenage kid that barely knew which end of the club to hold.   There are so many variables to fitting, so to make absolute statements like you did, is just not accurate.

Lastly, give me a list of at least two qualified fitters in each city that will allow you to take clubs out door and try them.   I can't think of one in this area, and I've know quite  few of them. 

Lastly, your last comment, again is certainly your opinion. But it is far from the truth and truly uninformed.  Sounds like you have a personal axe to grind.   Just the way it comes off. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

IMO
10shot
If you're in the retail business this simply isn't feasible. The amount of "already hit" stock that you would have new club money sunk into would run you out of business in a hurry. The only way I see to do what you suggest is if the customer buys the clubs and you continue to offer free adjustments after the sale, which I think is pretty standard.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

1 hour ago, 10shot said:

I have to respond to this CC thread. CC is nothing but a rip off plain and simple.

Your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.  I, however, disagree with your opinion.  I've been through a total bag fitting and experienced what they offer.  I found their service valuable for me.  They did not try to change everything in my bag, nor did they pressure me into upgrading anything, nor did they insist that they do the upgrading.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, gaussman1 said:

If you're in the retail business this simply isn't feasible. The amount of "already hit" stock that you would have new club money sunk into would run you out of business in a hurry. The only way I see to do what you suggest is if the customer buys the clubs and you continue to offer free adjustments after the sale, which I think is pretty standard.

What I do is fix what the retail folks sell. I put CC under the retail header because that's what they do, sell clubs/shafts. I have many (50+ shafts) ready to use. I change out the shafts or add too when a GOOD shaft enters the market place. I cap my cost to 250.00 per shaft. See if you know what your doing and have the correct equipment I can run you through 5 shafts in about 1 hour. I don't care what driver head you use. With the epoxy heat cure I have I can apply any off brand adapter to any of the shafts in 10 minutes. I already have all the big brands ready to go. Then I send you out the door. You go play golf  on your course and let me know what you think. If you need I can take the simulator to the course, but you're buying the round 🙂 Beers that is

The key is on course play, ON COURSE PLAY, you don't get that off a mat or simulator. 

CC is a rip off plain and simple, you can not fit a golfer off mats with numbers. If CC sent you on the course for several rounds cool beans, but they don't. I don't know any top fitter that doesn't send the golfer to the course with at least 1 club to play of each category  It feels good on the mat then, the course hits you square in the arss. Gota play the course tweak if needed. Lot of times it's not shaft its Loft and Lie angles. If the golfer is an older dude with standard grips I put them into MID size and boy does their arthritic fingers like that.

Sorry GolfSpy staff, you answered my question in your post.

4.5 hours is plenty for a fitting, been there done that.  Actually any more and you're past the point of exhaustion and not getting true results.

You cant hit over and over again, one shaft after another in one sitting, it takes days several rounds per shaft. But you have your way I do it my way. Thanks for your passion to golf and a great website.

Thanks for reading my post have a great day

10shot

This a passion post I can see. Fitting is king around here for most folks.

I too would prefer being fit outdoors where I can see with my own eyes what's happening. That goes for all clubs except putter. However... it's not always available from every fitter. I also don't buy that if you are fit off fake turf you're not getting a good fit or that your fitter is crap. Again, I'd prefer to be fit hitting off grass.

I was fit for my current irons indoors off turf and even a tee at times. My fitter has been doing nothing but professional fittings (and building the clubs) for 30 years and is recognized by peers as one of the best in the business. Top in the country in fact. He also fit me for a driver that I returned. It just didn't work out in the real world. Could be he missed the fitting some how. No biggie to me. I moved on to a different driver. As long as I stick with my fitter I have no problem fitting irons indoor with him. Driver... not so much. I will add, my fitter guarantees all his fittings and builds. Either he makes them right to your liking or returns your money less a minor fitting charge.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

What I do is fix what the retail folks sell. I put CC under the retail header because that's what they do, sell clubs/shafts. I have many (50+ shafts) ready to use. I change out the shafts or add too when a GOOD shaft enters the market place. I cap my cost to 250.00 per shaft. See if you know what your doing and have the correct equipment I can run you through 5 shafts in about 1 hour. I don't care what driver head you use. With the epoxy heat cure I have I can apply any off brand adapter to any of the shafts in 10 minutes. I already have all the big brands ready to go. Then I send you out the door. You go play golf  on your course and let me know what you think. If you need I can take the simulator to the course, but you're buying the round  Beers that is
The key is on course play, ON COURSE PLAY, you don't get that off a mat or simulator. 
CC is a rip off plain and simple, you can not fit a golfer off mats with numbers. If CC sent you on the course for several rounds cool beans, but they don't. I don't know any top fitter that doesn't send the golfer to the course with at least 1 club to play of each category  It feels good on the mat then, the course hits you square in the arss. Gota play the course tweak if needed. Lot of times it's not shaft its Loft and Lie angles. If the golfer is an older dude with standard grips I put them into MID size and boy does their arthritic fingers like that.

4.5 hours is plenty for a fitting, been there done that.  Actually any more and you're past the point of exhaustion and not getting true results.
You cant hit over and over again, one shaft after another in one sitting, it takes days several rounds per shaft. But you have your way I do it my way. Thanks for your passion to golf and a great website.

10shot
Oh I see. When I read your original post I was picturing you sending out newly assembled iron sets and woods without an obligation to buy. If what you're doing is aftermarket shaft fits to existing products then I agree you have a lot more flexibility since the heads have already been paid for.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

5 hours ago, 10shot said:

What I do is fix what the retail folks sell. I put CC under the retail header because that's what they do, sell clubs/shafts. I have many (50+ shafts) ready to use. I change out the shafts or add too when a GOOD shaft enters the market place. I cap my cost to 250.00 per shaft. See if you know what your doing and have the correct equipment I can run you through 5 shafts in about 1 hour. I don't care what driver head you use. With the epoxy heat cure I have I can apply any off brand adapter to any of the shafts in 10 minutes. I already have all the big brands ready to go. Then I send you out the door. You go play golf  on your course and let me know what you think. If you need I can take the simulator to the course, but you're buying the round 🙂 Beers that is

10shot

It doesn’t take that long. I’ve never had a shaft I wasn’t fit for in any club (all bring done in an hour or less by shaft oem fitter, club sales/tech reps or my local guy) not work for me on the course. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Archived