Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

A Tour Players Entourage

Shankster

The intent of the team is what matters.  I know from listening to interviews with J Day, he has a big team because of all of the obligations he has to sponsors as well as his family. Having a team mentality of everyone doing their job so he can focus on golf alone makes his experience better.

I personally would take this tactic as I don't trust myself to be the best decision maker when it would come to dividing my time between obligations to sponsors, or working on my game. Having dedicated people to help construct a schedule, coordinate travel, plan down time, etc. would eliminate friction and allow me to focus on just golf.

It's the same tactic that some CEO's deploy.  Bring in a team to help with the things that they are not good at to allow them the time to triple down on doing the things they are good at.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Same as iPads, smart lights, smart cars, smart phones, smart watches, smart refrigerators, smart stoves. Just a distraction to what is actually going on around you.

I like my Jetson’s style stuff as much as anyone else, but I’ve found it distracting. I use my phone to get yardages for stuff that I would just use the yardage markers for.

Turning into robots.

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Same as iPads, smart lights, smart cars, smart phones, smart watches, smart refrigerators, smart stoves. Just a distraction to what is actually going on around you.

I like my Jetson’s style stuff as much as anyone else, but I’ve found it distracting. I use my phone to get yardages for stuff that I would just use the yardage markers for.

Turning into robots.

I was in a music store in Winston Salem, North Carolina on Saturday buying my daughter a saxophone for high school band.  There were maybe a dozen people at or near the register area.  Someone's phone made that three-toned notification sound made famous by Apple products.  Every single one of those dozen or so people immediately grabbed their phones, including myself.

Slaves to the machine, we are!

25 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Turning into robots.

You're right about that. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I was in a music store in Winston Salem, North Carolina on Saturday buying my daughter a saxophone for high school band.  There were maybe a dozen people at or near the register area.  Someone's phone made that three-toned notification sound made famous by Apple products.  Every single one of those dozen or so people immediately grabbed their phones, including myself.
Slaves to the machine, we are!

My friends wife told me in order to get his attention she had to bounce around on the floor and make a buzzing sound.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

7 minutes ago, Charli said:

Just too many distractions. Swing coach, caddy and family. And family can chill home if they want until it looks like I have a shot at winning. Then they best get their asses to the course. 

So you want them to scramble at the last minute to get a flight to get to an event the golfer might have a chance at winning which then has the golfer distracted because he’s worrying if the family got on the plane, had any issues and so on instead of being there all week or for several weeks at a time. 

Having family there can help the golfer relax both during and after the round.

theres not an amateur golfer I know and most of not everyone on this forum would be happy to have their coach on the range with them.

managers and other entourage members are there to do things for the golfer to help them not be distracted, coordinate scheduling, flights, lodging and so on. Not really distractions imo

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I’ll side with the “need ‘em” crowd. For years my biggest leadership fault was I failed to delegate stuff. An Army General once told me, “if you are doing something someone else should be doing or could be doing you are probably not doing what you are suppose to be doing.” The greater one’s responsibility the more you need the help of others to fully execute that responsibility.

I am sure there are exceptions but for the most part professional Golfers come from families that are very comfortable financially. They don’t generally have the type of “hangers on” trying to ride the gravy train because their entourage comes from their same background of financial stability. The people who make up the “Rose” brand are there to maximize that Brand. By doing all the little things that we take for granted Justin Rose can fully focus on his role in maximizing his brand.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Archived