TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade Hi-Toe (Unofficial Review)

Shankster

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I still love my Eye 2's; maybe that's why I went with the Callaway PM Grind over the Hi-Toe.  Yes, the PM has a lot of bounce and that might be an issue for me.  However, I got the 2019 version and they put a C-Grind on it, and that seems to work pretty well.  I got out today, first time in 6 weeks because of snow.  I was impressed with chip shots; haven't be able to hit anything longer because the rest of the course is still closed.

LOL I guess I have the "S" grind on mine since I hand filed mine. Got it to around 8* which is my standard

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

This post intrigued me. So I went to taylormades website and went thru the custom options. For the most part it seems like highway robbery. Lol. 11 dollars a grip on almost all grips is outrageous. I wouldn’t pay 11/grip if it was a super stroke lol. The tour issue shaft is same price as you can buy one off eBay or golf works. So the tour issue shaft with a mcc plus 4 grip runs past 200. Nope. Can’t swing it. Also the whole point of milled grind is for those tour players with unique hand ground clubs to get them exactly right. So they can crank out wedge after wedge for tiger etc. buying a milled grind off the rack defeats purpose. I’d want to hit one and have a master grinder start working on it and dialing it in and then say here’s your perfect grind. The Ben smith grind. Lol. But I’d be willing to pay 200 for that wedge but for that kind of attention you’d need to be a superstar or have super deep pockets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love this thread though.

Love this thread though.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Yeah. It was a significant up-charge for the shaft I suppose. But... now I can buy the normal one, put my shaft in it and possibly make $10-$15 selling the stock one.

The grind is very similar to the Tour Preferred Wedge line which I loved, but they were too harsh feeling. 10° of bounce with a nice wide sole is a touch of class that I can’t wait to put on the grass.

Went with the stock grip because I like tour velvets and Burgundy is my favorite color. Reminds me of rich mahogany and leather bound books... and of course lamp.

And I’d rather shell out the $ for wedges over a 460cc balloon any day.

Quick update.  After watching some of my video from my last SIM session. I won’t be going back.  I started to notice that if I pushed one, I’d pull the next, and so on... not something I generally do.  Thanks@cnosil for bringing that up in another thread.  So spin numbers, and distances will be all feel.

• 2 weeks later...
Here you go. I better see these in the bag when we play 
https://www.taylormadegolf.com/P•7TW-Irons/DW-AL447.html?icid=hp-main-P7TW-PDP-Pre’)%24

Man that’s steep... we’ll see if I can pull it off (boss could veto these easily) . Was planning on adding a driver, and 2 more wedges. These things would take the whole budget.

Gorgeous though.

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff here.  I wanted to game a 60 degree, but couldn't explain well enough to my wife why I needed a $180 club.  I did hit them last spring and loved it.  The feel off the face is like butter.  I also felt more comfortable if I opened the face to do a flop shot.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

Great stuff here.  I wanted to game a 60 degree, but couldn't explain well enough to my wife why I needed a $180 club.  I did hit them last spring and loved it.  The feel off the face is like butter.  I also felt more comfortable if I opened the face to do a flop shot.  

I am having the opposite reaction. I am wishing I didn’t spend the $180, and it feels a little harsh.

Those BStone forged wedges ruined me. Nothing will feel good again..........

On 3/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, Shankster said:

Not sure what the ATV grind looks like, they have a different leading edge. But you can get the 58° in the 4 Way sole. I am a guy that HATES offset and these are not off putting at all. More of a little gooseneck.

I’m probably going to add a 51° (50 bent weak), a 60° 4 way sole, and a 64°.

They shape alone is enough to sell me after getting one in hand. A touch more triangular shaped than “traditional” wedges but not by much.

Add the non glare face... mmmhmmmm

How much glare do you really get off a club face? I play in Florida, the sun is always out and I can't say I've ever been like "damn I can't see!"

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

How much glare do you really get off a club face? I play in Florida, the sun is always out and I can't say I've ever been like "damn I can't see!"

None. It doubles as a snow shovel too.

I will say the grayish finish won’t last long and it will be copper.

But zero glare.

Ah. I misread that. I get a lot of glare but I open the face a lot. Mostly on 56° and 60°’s.

And not from the face it’s self, just that bright chrome out passed the grooves.

My Glide 2.0 was better than the Hi Toe at everything except hard pan/firm bunkers (likely just a bounce issue). I don't play flop shots because I'm not Phil so if I short side myself into deep rough, that's my issue to deal with and accept that just get it somewhere within 10ft of the stick and be happy.

The biggest draw back for me was the feel. It's subjective, but this thing was just yucky to hit on any shot that had to travel more than like 8-10 yards. Very firm and unforgiving feeling, and it was very bad on more full swings. Used it on course 2x and that was enough to tell it wasn't going to suite me.

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

I am having the opposite reaction. I am wishing I didn’t spend the $180, and it feels a little harsh.

Those BStone forged wedges ruined me. Nothing will feel good again..........

Someone here was saying the new Cobra MIM’s are juicy like the BStones. I really don’t love my wedges and full disclosure, almost pulled the trigger on HiToes after you made your first post.

Good news is there is a lot of golf left this season up here. Once demo days start cranking up I’ll see what feels best.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Someone here was saying the new Cobra MIM’s are juicy like the BStones. I really don’t love my wedges and full disclosure, almost pulled the trigger on HiToes after you made your first post.

Good news is there is a lot of golf left this season up here. Once demo days start cranking up I’ll see what feels best.

Yeah. Could have been me. I tried them at the recent demo day. Only with range rocks but the overall shape and the few shots I hit I was super impressed.

Could be my next set of wedges. The face milling is pretty cool to help line the ball up. And it looks like it will just tear the cover off some ProV’s.

My Glide 2.0 was better than the Hi Toe at everything except hard pan/firm bunkers (likely just a bounce issue). I don't play flop shots because I'm not Phil so if I short side myself into deep rough, that's my issue to deal with and accept that just get it somewhere within 10ft of the stick and be happy.

The biggest draw back for me was the feel. It's subjective, but this thing was just yucky to hit on any shot that had to travel more than like 8-10 yards. Very firm and unforgiving feeling, and it was very bad on more full swings. Used it on course 2x and that was enough to tell it wasn't going to suite me.

I agree, very hard feeling and unpredictable.

My New Level wedges are head and shoulders better.

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

I really want to try the MIM’s and Bridgestone

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

17 hours ago, GC70 said:

I agree, very hard feeling and unpredictable.

My New Level wedges are head and shoulders better.

My coach swears by the hi toe, but he's also on staff with Taylormade. I could see how good it would be if you played tons of knockdowns and partial shots off tight lies.... but the club that I get lessons at is not like the Muni's that I  normally play which are soft as heck.

I could see myself keeping the hi toe to play very specific courses but for me those situation are few and far between. I don't really have too many issues using my 10* glide 2.0 lob wedge to nip shots off regular turf. It's also many times better than the hi toe from the rough... that higher bounce is much friendlier.

Edited by z1ggy16

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows