Shankster

Taylormade Hi-Toe (Unofficial Review)

Great stuff here.  I wanted to game a 60 degree, but couldn't explain well enough to my wife why I needed a $180 club.  I did hit them last spring and loved it.  The feel off the face is like butter.  I also felt more comfortable if I opened the face to do a flop shot.  

I am having the opposite reaction. I am wishing I didn’t spend the $180, and it feels a little harsh.

Those BStone forged wedges ruined me. Nothing will feel good again..........

On 3/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, Shankster said:

Not sure what the ATV grind looks like, they have a different leading edge. But you can get the 58° in the 4 Way sole. I am a guy that HATES offset and these are not off putting at all. More of a little gooseneck.

I’m probably going to add a 51° (50 bent weak), a 60° 4 way sole, and a 64°.

They shape alone is enough to sell me after getting one in hand. A touch more triangular shaped than “traditional” wedges but not by much.

Add the non glare face... mmmhmmmm

How much glare do you really get off a club face? I play in Florida, the sun is always out and I can't say I've ever been like "damn I can't see!"

• Like 1

How much glare do you really get off a club face? I play in Florida, the sun is always out and I can't say I've ever been like "damn I can't see!"

None. It doubles as a snow shovel too.

I will say the grayish finish won’t last long and it will be copper.

But zero glare.

Apparently there are a few more finishes coming to retail too.

Ah. I misread that. I get a lot of glare but I open the face a lot. Mostly on 56° and 60°’s.

And not from the face it’s self, just that bright chrome out passed the grooves.

Ok. Another update. I don’t like the wedge. I’ll do up a Stage 2 just so you all can read it, but I will be selling this thing soon.

• Sad 2

My Glide 2.0 was better than the Hi Toe at everything except hard pan/firm bunkers (likely just a bounce issue). I don't play flop shots because I'm not Phil so if I short side myself into deep rough, that's my issue to deal with and accept that just get it somewhere within 10ft of the stick and be happy.

The biggest draw back for me was the feel. It's subjective, but this thing was just yucky to hit on any shot that had to travel more than like 8-10 yards. Very firm and unforgiving feeling, and it was very bad on more full swings. Used it on course 2x and that was enough to tell it wasn't going to suite me.

• Like 1

I am having the opposite reaction. I am wishing I didn’t spend the $180, and it feels a little harsh.

Those BStone forged wedges ruined me. Nothing will feel good again..........

Someone here was saying the new Cobra MIM’s are juicy like the BStones. I really don’t love my wedges and full disclosure, almost pulled the trigger on HiToes after you made your first post.

Good news is there is a lot of golf left this season up here. Once demo days start cranking up I’ll see what feels best.
  • Like 2

Someone here was saying the new Cobra MIM’s are juicy like the BStones. I really don’t love my wedges and full disclosure, almost pulled the trigger on HiToes after you made your first post.

Good news is there is a lot of golf left this season up here. Once demo days start cranking up I’ll see what feels best.

Yeah. Could have been me. I tried them at the recent demo day. Only with range rocks but the overall shape and the few shots I hit I was super impressed.

Could be my next set of wedges. The face milling is pretty cool to help line the ball up. And it looks like it will just tear the cover off some ProV’s.

My Glide 2.0 was better than the Hi Toe at everything except hard pan/firm bunkers (likely just a bounce issue). I don't play flop shots because I'm not Phil so if I short side myself into deep rough, that's my issue to deal with and accept that just get it somewhere within 10ft of the stick and be happy.

The biggest draw back for me was the feel. It's subjective, but this thing was just yucky to hit on any shot that had to travel more than like 8-10 yards. Very firm and unforgiving feeling, and it was very bad on more full swings. Used it on course 2x and that was enough to tell it wasn't going to suite me.

I agree, very hard feeling and unpredictable.

My New Level wedges are head and shoulders better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really want to try the MIM’s and Bridgestone

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, GC70 said:

I agree, very hard feeling and unpredictable.

My New Level wedges are head and shoulders better.

My coach swears by the hi toe, but he's also on staff with Taylormade. I could see how good it would be if you played tons of knockdowns and partial shots off tight lies.... but the club that I get lessons at is not like the Muni's that I  normally play which are soft as heck.

I could see myself keeping the hi toe to play very specific courses but for me those situation are few and far between. I don't really have too many issues using my 10* glide 2.0 lob wedge to nip shots off regular turf. It's also many times better than the hi toe from the rough... that higher bounce is much friendlier.

Edited by z1ggy16

I am going out tomorrow, going to get some final points to put together. Anticipate having the stage 2 up within a week.

Then there will be a nice Hi-Toe in the classifieds.

• Like 2