Sign in to follow this  
MadDad

Course Quality Vs. Course Cost - Opinions Wanted

Our Sponsors

I think I might actually live in the most expensive spot in the U.S. here in the Bay Area.  Weekend muni type courses that are in the playable, but can be ungodly slow are in the $80-100 range for weekend.  $125-150 seems to be the "nice but pricey" range.  And then you have the mostly private courses that are all $400+. 

But thankfully with so many courses, and being willing to drive a bit, it seems like I can bargain hunt nice courses for around $100 a round.  It's usually my cart girl fees / bar tab that I look back at and wonder how I spent so much... lol. 

I think that there is value to be had everywhere. Looking is part of the adventure.

We buy a VIP cards to a very nice public course $75 a round including cart.. VIP card costs $179. gives us half price green fees, 2 free Rounds of golf, and 1 hr in the Simulator.  It pays for it self in the free rounds  and the simulator ($40 per hr.). Now I get to play a very nice course for $35, round including cart. When we started buying them it would pay for itself in 4 rounds.. Now It's paid for itself before I even pay for the first half price round. 

I have played resort courses and basic muni's, I have always found that the worst course has it's own beauty if you look hard enough.. And Vice versa. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I feel like Northeast Ohio is a great place for golfers. There are a LOT of options within about an hour of me, with deals to be had ranging from $15 (including cart) to around $100 for the areas premium courses. Most of the time, I play courses that are in the $35-$40 range which I would consider to be "nice".

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Get out and play course - Under $35 - our local muni comes to mind, the course is in good shape but the greens are't that great because they dont own a roller

Good $35-65 - This to me is the sweet spot in cost, in western PA you can play many public courses for this range.

Once or twice a year - $65-135 - This are the closest things to private clubs for me and I expect the course to be pristine, consistent greens and fairways.

Legendary - Over $135 - I've only ever played one course at this level and it was a top 5 course in the country, it was an amazing experience but its a once in a lifetime and done kind of course

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA