Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Lifting/bouncing putter before stroke

Something I've been experimenting with recently: bouncing the putter twice just before starting my backstroke. It would similar to the move of Matsuyama (I know, not necessarily a role model for putting):

Rickie Fowler's move is similar, but he does more of a lift without the bounce:

My reason for implementing this move is that it ensures that I'm not using the putter as a tripod leg. I have a tendency (in all my swings) to get a little weight toward my toes. Picking the putter up before I start my swing forces me to have my weight solidly on my feet, making my stroke more stable.

Anyone else currently use a move like this? What has been your experience with it?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

21 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Something I've been experimenting with recently: bouncing the putter twice just before starting my backstroke. It would similar to the move of Matsuyama (I know, not necessarily a role model for putting):

Rickie Fowler's move is similar, but he does more of a lift without the bounce:

My reason for implementing this move is that it ensures that I'm not using the putter as a tripod leg. I have a tendency (in all my swings) to get a little weight toward my toes. Picking the putter up before I start my swing forces me to have my weight solidly on my feet, making my stroke more stable.

Anyone else currently use a move like this? What has been your experience with it?

I make a preshot move similar to Rickie on all clubs. I think it is helpful to alieviate tension and get my weight solidly on my feet. I actually did this subconsciously and didn't know about until I saw a slo-mo video of myself doing it. I think it would be helpful to implement into you game, however you need to make sure you don't exaggerate the move and end up with your weight on you heels. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 minute ago, GB13 said:

I make a preshot move similar to Rickie on all clubs. I think it is helpful to alieviate tension and get my weight solidly on my feet. I actually did this subconsciously and didn't know about until I saw a slo-mo video of myself doing it. I think it would be helpful to implement into you game, however you need to make sure you don't exaggerate the move and end up with your weight on you heels. 

It's actually been a useful trigger and tempo governor for me. I get aligned over the ball, and then tap, tap, press, back, through. Each of those actions takes a beat, so it creates a metronome effect in my routine.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

42 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

It's actually been a useful trigger and tempo governor for me. I get aligned over the ball, and then tap, tap, press, back, through. Each of those actions takes a beat, so it creates a metronome effect in my routine.

Thanks @GolfSpy MPR I'll try that out. Maybe this will help with my consistency.

Driver: :ping-small: G with Alta 55 stiff shaft, the 9° version but adjusted to 10° degrees

3 Wood: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

Irons: :cobra-small: Fly-Z 4-9 with stock stiff steel shafts

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58° Dynamic Gold steel shafts

Putter: Testing :odyssey-small: EXO 7S 34" Standard Lie, Black Shaft, Odyssey SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 grip

I've been experimenting with this as well, and I play with someone who takes that approach with their irons and hovers them just before the shot. Like you said, it creates a nice routine, which is crucial in this game.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I hover before I start the backstroke. Helps me start the backstroke on the right line and not take the putter outside the line and pull my putts.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A waggle/trigger is imperative for each shot IMO. Mine is different throughout the bag but it is there. Find something that works for you and stick with it. 

As far as putting I don't hover or bounce but my last move before the stroke I will raise my hands. They have a habit of getting too low and raising putter toe off.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Archived