Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

artful_golfer_WITB 2019

Driver: Ping Serene with graphite shaft

Woods: Ping Serene 3 & 5 with graphite shaft (I added custom skins on my driver and woods)

Hybrid irons: Ping Serene 4, 5, & 6 with graphite shaft

Irons: Ping Serene 7, 8, & 9 with graphite shaft; TaylorMade 4 r7 Flex L

Wedges: Ping Serene Wedge & Sand wedge with graphite shaft; Cleveland RTX-3 52/10

Putter: Edel E-2 custom fit (This is my 3rd putter. My first two were left handed which I found easier. I must work harder at it for right handed.)

This predominantly Ping Serene setup is my first set of clubs. I was fit for them 4.5 years ago. With the exception of a couple short injury rehabs, I have given my best to wear them out with practice. The TaylorMade r7 4 iron and the RTX gap wedge were new additions over the holidays to help fill in some problem scoring areas. The zany skins on the woods are my own designs and have helped to protect those from scuffs.  Plus they're fun to look down at when I play. I switch out my Kitten driver head cover with Wonder Woman and a Pink Flamingo.

clubs-woods.jpg.e74d069cd3872ea40eb630fa77d91847.jpg

clubs_hybrids.jpg

clubs_irons.jpg

clubs_wedges.jpg

clubs_putter.jpg

clubs_bag.jpg.eff098830566384913c3dfb6ee6d1ccf.jpg

clubs_skins.jpg.a003c52bc13ba4e8dfd7953f2ff09aeb.jpg

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

Nice to see a lady golfer posting! Is it safe to assume you've been playing about 4.5 years? Welcome to the forum!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

@MaxEntropyYes, about 4.5 years minus a few months from two shoulder injuries.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

Welcome to the forums, @artful_golfer! I have to ask: what's the role for the TaylorMade 4-iron in your setup? It stands out, so I assume you carry it because it performs a specific role for you.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

@GolfSpy MPRYou are correct it has a specific role. I chose hybrids irons 4, 5 and 6 when ordering my clubs because I was told that they are perfect for hitting out of the rough. But I just can't seem make them work in taller grass. I was frustrated and felt that my only choice for long irons was hybrids was holding me back. It may be mental but I dreaded using them, so often opted for my 7 iron instead. Not really knowing what I was doing and without his knowledge, I lifted a 1 iron from my son's bag into mine one day going out to play in Colorado. It worked! So I asked my son (@downlowkey on MyGolfSpy) to help me find a long iron I could try. He found the TaylorMade 4 iron at a thrift store in Colorado for $1! It is now my favorite go to club when in the rough. Even though I hit the TaylorMade 4 iron further, I still use my Ping 4 hybrid in the fairway because I'm more consistent judging it's distance. Of course, the optimal goal is to keep my ball in the fairway (and I'm improving on that front since adjusting my grip and swing) the reality is I still manage to get myself in trouble.

PXG 0811 XF driver

33 minutes ago, artful_golfer said:

........It worked! So I asked my son (downlowkey on MyGolfSpy) to help me find a long iron I could try.......

Well well. I now see where he gets his well-spoken rhetoric from. That @downlowkey is one smart fellow so I'm not surprised he was able to help you find a good fit for that part of your bag. 

You've gotten some good use out of that starter set. I'm loving those skins. A dude in my league plays with one that looks like a pink sprinkle donut and I always thought that was a cool idea. 

Welcome to the forum!!

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Well well. I now see where he gets his well-spoken rhetoric from. That @downlowkey is one smart fellow so I'm not surprised he was able to help you find a good fit for that part of your bag. 

You've gotten some good use out of that starter set. I'm loving those skins. A dude in my league plays with one that looks like a pink sprinkle donut and I always thought that was a cool idea. 

Welcome to the forum!!

Yep, @downlowkey is very special and I say that not just because he happens to be my son.

At the time I ordered my skins, BigWigz was the only one on the market that would allow me to design my own skins. They had tremendous customer service and were not too difficult to apply. Recently I've tried to order new design ideas but cannot find the custom option or even a working website for BigWigz. The only option I find is to order the ready made selections from what I think may be a third party supplier.

PXG 0811 XF driver

7 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

That @downlowkey is one smart fellow so I'm not surprised he was able to help you find a good fit for that part of your bag.

7 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Yep, @downlowkey is very special and I say that not just because he happens to be my son.

Alright, alright - I think that's just about enough, from the both of you.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

tenor.gif

Ha, Ha. Too cute!

PXG 0811 XF driver

Wow this turned into a lovefest very quickly lol...

But seriously it is great to see a female golfer posting, and offering her opinion on what they look for in equipment and their bag setup. 

How are you enjoying the Edel putter? Torque balanced I have heard has thrown a few golfers off, but having maybe started left handed putting your release may suit the Edel?

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

On 3/21/2019 at 12:53 AM, jayjay0808 said:

How are you enjoying the Edel putter? Torque balanced I have heard has thrown a few golfers off, but having maybe started left handed putting your release may suit the Edel?

It took a while for me to feel comfortable with it but I now like it ok. Putting came easy to me with my two Odessey left-handed putters before my Edel. True to my fiercely independent self I went shopping for my first putter on my own. I chose one simply because more balls when in the holes when testing it plus I liked that it was small and sleek. Later I was told it was a difficult and unforgiving putter, but I was naively delighted with it. I was a happy putter. I naturally use and switch which hand I use for tasks but I'm right dominant (right is more coordinated / left is stronger and I'm left eyed). I must work harder and practice more to putt right-handed. I have a little bit of an arc in my putting stroke so must pay attention to use a straighter stroke or my ball consistently ends up left of that little hole in the ground.

I do like the heavy feel of my Edel putter. The weight seems to help me control my stroke. I understand I have two weighted areas in the putter head and one inside the shaft about 6 inches down from the top. I have no idea if that is normal for the Edel brand but that was the suggested result from my very interesting fitting process. I opted for the smaller round grip because it is more comfortable in my small hands. It is definitely cool to have my initials stamped in the metal on the underside.

I have trouble keeping up with blade putter covers. My putter sits in a putter slot at the front of my bag.  The blade covers seem to like to wander because they wiggle loose and fall off from pressure in hitting down on the top of my bag. So far, lost ones have always been turned in to the pro shop. Love honest golfers!

PXG 0811 XF driver

Archived