Jump to content
DocFletchLXG

MY BAG 2019, my first forum post ever!

Recommended Posts

Hello all! This is my first forum post here on MyGolfSpy.

 

I live in the Northern Shenandoah Valley and try to play 1-2 times a week. I would say my handicap is about a 10? In my last 20 rounds i have 2 75's but also a 89 and a 91. 

 

Anyways here is my bag for 2019.

Driver- Wilson Triton 9* Extra Stiff Aldila Phenom 50 gram 4.0 torque, I adjust the loft to 10*

3wood- Cobra F9 Speedback Tour, 13.5* Project X HZRDUS smoke black stiff flex 70 grams

Hybrid- Adams Idea Pro Gold 18* Stiff Flex Aldila By-you shaft 80 Grams

4-GW- Macgregor M565 Irons with 5.5 rifled steel shaft

54* wedge- Titleist vokey 54-10

58* wedge- Titleist Vokey 58-08

Putter- Odyssey 2-ball OG from 2004?

 

Anyways guys I'm excited to be a part of the site I will add some photos soon! Cheers! Hit it hard!

 

Andrew

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum!   Curious to see a Triton in the bag. How do you like it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome and thanks for posting. Please include some pictures when you get a chance. I like to see the goods.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll break it down.

 

These are my irons and wedges.

 

I run the 4-GW Macgregor M565. I took the 3 out of the bag as it is 20* and my Hybrid is 18*. I felt carrying both was redundant. 

The shafts are rifled "Precision" S 5.5. 

The 4,5,6 Irons are a Lamkin "tour velvet" style Midsize grip In black with reddish/maroon caps

The 7,8,9,P Irons are a Golf Pride MCC plus4 Align regular size grips black and grey red align

The Gap Wedge (50*) I DUMBLY pulled the emblem off the back like a fool but that grip is a Golf Pride MCC in Black and White.

Seriously pulling the emblem off that gap wedge was the worst decision I have made with golf equipment ever.

The Irons are "Forged" but still have a pretty wide sole and low weighting for I guess "mid level" players. (perfect for me). They still have the responsiveness of a forged iron but still very forgiving. I plan on playing them until the grooves do not exist anymore. Whenever I do upgrade I will probably look at the new Wilson D7 Irons but I HATE how aggressively loft all irons are now. They claim to offer "more distance" but a 7 iron is the loft of my old 5 iron. But I digress, I love these Macgregor M565 Irons and will play them forever.

 

Wedges 54, 58 both Titleist Vokeys I believe the 1997 release? Not sure. Either way both were a gift from my fathers college roommate who was a pro in Kansas for a long time. They were used when I got them but I was I think 12 or 13, around 2002. They both feel really great and the 58* has a bounce of 8* which (I THINK) allows me to open the face more and allow me to play a variety of shots. 

The 54* is my 50 yards and in ":chipper" and I use the 58* in tight spots only. I'm real apprehensive to pull the 58* unless I have to. I have also used a "Tru Groove" sharpener on both the 54 and 58 wedge (don't tell anyone) to try and prolong the life of the wedges. I'm on a budget and dropped 300 bucks on a 3 wood so minimum 200 bucks for 2 new wedges isn't going to happen.

 

Honestly tho I do not see any difference after using the groove sharpener extensively. I supposed maybe a little bit but I think we would need a launch monitor on course to really know the truth.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3 - Copy.jpeg

image4 - Copy.jpeg

image5 - Copy.jpeg

image6 - Copy.jpeg

image7 - Copy.jpeg

image8 - Copy.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9 - Copy.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Welcome to the forum!   Curious to see a Triton in the bag. How do you like it?

Hello! Thanks for the reply! I really do like my Triton Driver. I purchased it last fall (November 2018) still new in packaging on Ebay for 99 dollar including shipping. My previous Gamer which I'm still thinking of going back to is a 43" TaylorMade Burner TP from 2006. I had it shortened slightly years ago and love it. I am 6'4" and this Triton is longer I'm thinking around 45". 

Back to the Triton. I also have the 12 gram weight which Wilson actually removed from circulation after the dust up with the whole "USGA Non-conforming" thing. But I do not have the "illegal" set up as I use the Carbon Fiber soleplate with a 6G in the toe 2G in the heel and the 12G in the back. I also jack the loft up from 9* to 10*. I do not like how the driver does look slightly closed at address but that's something I can get past.

 

The shaft is the Aldila RIP Phenom (Grey Paint One Red Eye) in Xtra Stiff 50Grams 4.0 Torque. I kind of like the shaft but I honestly prefer a stiff flex. a little heavier shafted stiff flex is what I like feel wise. 

 

The shaft in my 3 wood is what I REALLY want to put into this driver. 

image1 - Copy.jpeg

image2 - Copy.jpeg

image3 - Copy (2).jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DocFletchLXG said:

I'll break it down.

These are my irons and wedges.

I run the 4-GW Macgregor M565. I took the 3 out of the bag as it is 20* and my Hybrid is 18*. I felt carrying both was redundant. 

The shafts are rifled "Precision" S 5.5. 

The 4,5,6 Irons are a Lamkin "tour velvet" style Midsize grip In black with reddish/maroon caps

The 7,8,9,P Irons are a Golf Pride MCC plus4 Align regular size grips black and grey red align

The Gap Wedge (50*) I DUMBLY pulled the emblem off the back like a fool but that grip is a Golf Pride MCC in Black and White.

Seriously pulling the emblem off that gap wedge was the worst decision I have made with golf equipment ever.

The Irons are "Forged" but still have a pretty wide sole and low weighting for I guess "mid level" players. (perfect for me). They still have the responsiveness of a forged iron but still very forgiving. I plan on playing them until the grooves do not exist anymore. Whenever I do upgrade I will probably look at the new Wilson D7 Irons but I HATE how aggressively loft all irons are now. They claim to offer "more distance" but a 7 iron is the loft of my old 5 iron. But I digress, I love these Macgregor M565 Irons and will play them forever.

Wedges 54, 58 both Titleist Vokeys I believe the 1997 release? Not sure. Either way both were a gift from my fathers college roommate who was a pro in Kansas for a long time. They were used when I got them but I was I think 12 or 13, around 2002. They both feel really great and the 58* has a bounce of 8* which (I THINK) allows me to open the face more and allow me to play a variety of shots. 

The 54* is my 50 yards and in ":chipper" and I use the 58* in tight spots only. I'm real apprehensive to pull the 58* unless I have to. I have also used a "Tru Groove" sharpener on both the 54 and 58 wedge (don't tell anyone) to try and prolong the life of the wedges. I'm on a budget and dropped 300 bucks on a 3 wood so minimum 200 bucks for 2 new wedges isn't going to happen.

Honestly tho I do not see any difference after using the groove sharpener extensively. I supposed maybe a little bit but I think we would need a launch monitor on course to really know the truth.

Gentlemen, we might need to start a thread: "what's the Most Interesting WITB on the forum?" I have to think that this is a contender.

Also, if "pulling the emblem off that gap wedge was the worst decision [you] have made with golf equipment ever," you are light years ahead of the rest of us!

Great WITB, and welcome to the forums!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Welcome and thanks for posting. Please include some pictures when you get a chance. I like to see the goods.

I posted about my driver as well above. So I'm not going to cover that again. 

 

I'm really most excited about my new 3wood it is  the new Cobra f9 tour. I tried all the major 3 wood at Golf Galaxy and they all looked MASSIVE to me. Like aesthetically to much. But the fitter brought over the "tour" model of the F9 speedback and it love at first sight. I was a big upgrade from my Nike Sasquatch. The shaft in the 13.5* 3wood is a Project X Smoke Black 70G Stiff Flex. I think it's really the star of the show and am looking into getting a Wilson adapter on one to throw it into my Triton. The shaft is perfect for me and my swing. 

 

2 Iron Hybrid- Adams Idea Pro, Circa 2007-2008 with a Stiff Flex 80G Aldila "By-you" shaft. So the story behind this club is when I was in college I had a job in a pro shop (shout out Fiddlers Green Eugene OR). Adams would hook up the salesman at pro shops for pushing Adams gear to customers. Well after a summer of selling clubs the Adams business rep came and said I could have any Driver/3wood/Hybrid that I wanted in their line. Well I did not have a hybrid at the time so I chose that. I got to choose this club FOR FREE just as a thank you for selling their gear. Truly Adams was amazing back in the day. But on the course the hybrid is everything you want it to be. Sits slightly open at address and has a beautiful click sound on impact. This club is great for those 220 carries over water. 

 

Onto Putters. In my bag currently is my OG Odyssey 2ball. Had her since High School just like my Scotty Cameron Circa 62 no 2. Scotty was in my bag for years but after a year of "testing" I really believe that the 2 ball is "2-3 strokes" better per round for me. I really struggle lag putting with the Scotty blade. So this year I am fully committing to the 2ball and seeing what happens

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image10 - Copy.jpeg

image11 - Copy.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image13.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Gentlemen, we might need to start a thread: "what's the Most Interesting WITB on the forum?" I have to think that this is a contender.

Also, if "pulling the emblem off that gap wedge was the worst decision [you] have made with golf equipment ever," you are light years ahead of the rest of us!

Great WITB, and welcome to the forums!

Hey man I'm touched. My golf clubs are an extension of me. Like a surgeons tools. Taking me from being a poor high school golfer, to an even poorer DIII college golfer, and finally turning into a (maybe 10-12) handicap player who only gets out once a week because of wife and 2 small children. 

 

Cheers mate. Love the site. If you guys are ever up near the Northern Virginia metro area lets hit the sticks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really digging this setup. Those MacGregors are some of the most underrated irons made.

Play well, thanks for sharing!


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bens197 said:

I’m really digging this setup. Those MacGregors are some of the most underrated irons made.

Play well, thanks for sharing!


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yeah the club fitter at Golf Galaxy was talking crap on them which I'm assuming was an attempt to sell me irons while I was in there shopping for 3 woods. His attitude ticked me off enough to bring in the 5,7,9 iron and hit a bunch of the 2019 model irons. Eventually I got him to try my M565's and he took back everything he said about them. those Irons are butter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice bag.

I remember when those irons came out, 2003 perhaps? Anyway, only one place locally carried Macgregor and I remember demoing and loving them. If I recall correctly they had very little offset, but like you said, with the weight down low, the ball flew high. Actually too high for me. I ended up keeping the Mac PCB’s in my bag instead but I regret not buying them.

Nice to hear you found the set that is perfect for you.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard, @DocFletchLXG - nice intro and detailed pics of WITB! I have the same set of MacGregor M565s in one of my guest bags.

Hope to see you around the forums.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deejaid said:

Nice bag. emoji106.png

I remember when those irons came out, 2003 perhaps? Anyway, only one place locally carried Macgregor and I remember demoing and loving them. If I recall correctly they had very little offset, but like you said, with the weight down low, the ball flew high. Actually too high for me. I ended up keeping the Mac PCB’s in my bag instead but I regret not buying them.

Nice to hear you found the set that is perfect for you.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely they fly high. Which can get me into trouble sometimes. But I'm willing to take the trade off as with so much spin even long irons have a really soft landing everytime. My next set will be a cavity back as I don't feel I'm strong enough to play musclebacks so here we are. As much as I do love my clubs I was very young and very poor when putting most of this set together so $$ had a little bit to do with it. They were a trade in at a proshop for 99 bucks for 3-gw. I jumped on them right away. Happy hunting friend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah the club fitter at Golf Galaxy was talking crap on them which I'm assuming was an attempt to sell me irons while I was in there shopping for 3 woods. His attitude ticked me off enough to bring in the 5,7,9 iron and hit a bunch of the 2019 model irons. Eventually I got him to try my M565's and he took back everything he said about them. those Irons are butter

I remember hitting those when they came out, and I LOVED them. VFoils have been some of the best clubs MacGregor made, even in the VIP run of VFoils. Great irons.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys I have an update to the bag. Nothing crazy but I JUST ordered the Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g stiff flex shaft for my driver. In the couple weeks since making this post I have really struggled with my driver consistency and i truly do not like the feel of the extra stiff shaft. 

 

I guess I have a question to fellow golfers. My plan is to cut the shaft down to 43" same as my 3 wood. But I guess the question is should I tip the shaft a half an inch because of my 112 MPH swing speed? Looking for advice on what to do. I WILL TAKE PHOTOS ONCE I GET THE SHAFT INSTALLED TO THE ADAPTER. Hit it hard yall

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey guys I have an update to the bag. Nothing crazy but I JUST ordered the Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g stiff flex shaft for my driver. In the couple weeks since making this post I have really struggled with my driver consistency and i truly do not like the feel of the extra stiff shaft. 
 
I guess I have a question to fellow golfers. My plan is to cut the shaft down to 43" same as my 3 wood. But I guess the question is should I tip the shaft a half an inch because of my 112 MPH swing speed? Looking for advice on what to do. I WILL TAKE PHOTOS ONCE I GET THE SHAFT INSTALLED TO THE ADAPTER. Hit it hard yall
Welcome to the forum and that is a great bag of tools you got there.

As far as the shaft goes and cutting it to the same length as the 3 wood, what are you trying to accomplish? Making it a lower lofted, bigger head 3 wood? Trying to achieve the same feeling? If you cut the shaft down to 43" and tip it without adding weight back to the head it will play stiffer the 3 wood shaft.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Welcome to the forum and that is a great bag of tools you got there.

As far as the shaft goes and cutting it to the same length as the 3 wood, what are you trying to accomplish? Making it a lower lofted, bigger head 3 wood? Trying to achieve the same feeling? If you cut the shaft down to 43" and tip it without adding weight back to the head it will play stiffer the 3 wood shaft.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

thank you for asking! My reasoning with cutting the driver down 2 inches is for some more control. My current shaft is an X stiff 45" and I'm just not as accurate as i would like to be. (my previous gamer is a taylormade burner tp 2006) and I had that cut to 43.5" back in 08.

 

But I'm pretty much thinking off of tipping the shaft at all and just cutting all the length i want to off the tail end of the shaft. My swing speed is certainly in the X range but I just dont like the feel of swinging a telephone pole i think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thank you for asking! My reasoning with cutting the driver down 2 inches is for some more control. My current shaft is an X stiff 45" and I'm just not as accurate as i would like to be. (my previous gamer is a taylormade burner tp 2006) and I had that cut to 43.5" back in 08.
 
But I'm pretty much thinking off of tipping the shaft at all and just cutting all the length i want to off the tail end of the shaft. My swing speed is certainly in the X range but I just dont like the feel of swinging a telephone pole i think?
I completely understand the reasoning behind playing a shorter driver for control. I play all my drivers short, currently 44.25" with my st190. I always add weight back to the head to get at least some off the swing weight back. I need to feel where the head is during my swing. Every 1/2" of length decreases the SW by 3 points. So if you cut 2" off your driver and don't add any weight back you will be 12 SW points lower. I am not trying to talk you out of it as I believe OEM'S are making drivers too long to begin with. Just want you to know that if after cutting it down it may feel a lot different. If it does, add weight to the head until it starts to feel like normal.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...