TESTERS WANTED! ×

Brand Loyal or Anything Goes

ole gray

Do you tend to lean towards one brand of equipment because it feels good or do you spread the love to all brands?   In the past, I bagged a hodgepodge of equipment however this year Callaway has a majority lock.  Besides my putter (Betternadi) and my wedges (Cleveland CBX) I'm flying the flag of Callaway.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I have never been brand loyal. I typically buy most of my clubs used so I end up with whatever is available and works best. As a result my bag has always been mixed. I may favor brands but any brand could end up anywhere.

Now that I test clubs pretty regularly I realize that almost every golf brand puts out great equipment. Some may fit me a little better than another but I could potentially game anything. Cost now becomes a prime decision point and I may start venturing down the looks and feel aspect as well.

So in the end, I am neither a brand loyalist nor a brand hater.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Nope though currently most of my bag is Titleist. I go with what works. I think that there is so little difference between the major OEMs that i could play anything I was fitted to.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Yea I like all the stuff that works for my game however I love the steelhead irons and hybrids. I normally hate fairway woods and recently picked up the X16 4 - wood and I instantly fell head over hills with it.  So far the X16 Driver is bad to the bone so I guess I'm a homeboy until something proves em wrong. 

Cleveland

Mixed bag here.....until someone starts paying me endorsement dollars, i'll use what works best for me

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I'm currently a Wishon man as far as my irons go. I decided a few years ago to break out of the golf magazine - golf shop brands mold and give a small off the radar brand a shot. Are my clubs better than the Big Boys? No. But they're certainly equivalent in both quality and technology. Like most clubs I believe.... regardless of brand it all boils down to the fitting. And... are your clubs built correctly. Two different things. Fitting & assembly. Both critical IMO.

I also bag and old 2014 Tmag SLDR, Edel Willamette putter, Wishon 4w, and an old TM Burner 2.0 4i.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

When I got fitted for irons last Spring I tried to do the impossible: with the help of the fitter I never looked at the sole or back before I tried a club. I was trying, as much as possible, to not know the brand before hitting it. This wasn't fully successful, as some heads you just know are "Brand X", but I was trying to eliminate my brand biases as much as possible. I ended up with TM M3, but the Cobra F8 was a very close second. Going in I was pretty sure that if I stuck with my preconceptions I'd end up with Mizuno (which is what was replaced) or Srixon. I hit those well, just not AS well.

I'm going in for a driver soon. I don't think I can do the same thing, because I can identify almost all of the candidates from the top.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

Besides my putter (Betternadi) and my wedges (Cleveland CBX) I'm flying the flag of Callaway.  

What did I miss, OG?!?! I thought the Launcher HB's were the best thing since sliced bread for you?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I wouldn't say brand loyal.  Oh wait ... look at my signature!  HA! 

I have yet to find a brand better for my game than Titleist, Vokey or Scotty Cameron.  And it's not that I haven't tried others.  You should see the corner of the Nut Cave ... all brands from Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway & even Ping in there.  I just haven't found a better looking or performing club out there for my game than what Titleist makes.  Show me one that's different & of course I'll play it.  But I find that highly unlikely.  

So yes ... I'm a bit loyal to Titleist! 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I wouldn't say I'm loyal to PING, but I'm definitely partial. I'll still play what works best, but I do tend to lean toward PING. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Titleist and PING always had my eye. I was a Titleist staff member over a dozen years ago and appreciated how they took care of their PGA members.

Fast forward to today and I’m open to really try anything. There are so many great manufacturers making quality gear. All we have to do is reference the MGS testing to see that any segment at any time could be a front runner.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I avoid Taylor Made and Callaway and I'm not quite sure why.  Maybe because I work for a bit of a fighter brand in my industry I tend to like the little guy.  Other than those two I play about anything.  

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Loyalty is not always rewarded, so I never care what’s in my bag. I have 6 different brands in my bag right now and I don’t care to even think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Currently have Taylor Made woods, Callaway irons and wedges, Callaway putter, and Snell ball in a Ping bag.  Normally use Titleist Vokey wedges and my putter can vary between Scotty, Nike, TaylorMade, and Odyssey....so, not really brand specific

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

24 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

What did I miss, OG?!?! I thought the Launcher HB's were the best thing since sliced bread for you?

Yes ole gray, we want answers!

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

47 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I wouldn't say I'm loyal to PING, but I'm definitely partial. I'll still play what works best, but I do tend to lean toward PING. 

Same here. I moved away from PING irons back in 2010, but recently switched back to PING irons in 2016. And I purchased my first PING Driver in 2017 as well.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Er...what can I possibly say here..?😳 Without doubt, based solely on my screen handle alone, y'all know where I land. Prior to joining the crowd here at MGS, I was sold on PING for a number of reasons;

• Engineering
  • Customer service
  • The fact that Karsten first created the most copied putter ever designed-The Anser
  • The Putter Vault and the supreme success it represents
  • The fact that while most components are all manufactured somewhere in the Far East, they still maintain in-house assembly and quality control at their plants here in the US & in the UK
  • Yes, my OCD works against me here...It just would be weird to me to have something other than PING clubs in a PING bag, though I am more open to that thought every day honestly...just not too open to it...😜

I also read several articles about PING including these which put both PING & MGS on my radar forever...

https://mygolfspy.com/missionping-uncovering-the-truth/

https://mygolfspy.com/missionping-uncovering-the-truth-day-2/

Though I am a PING Guy pretty much 100%, you'll never find me bad-mouthing other OEM's or messing with folks who do not select PING stuff. Not my style. Just because they happen to be my choice doesn't mean it has to be everybody's. Too bad certain religions and political parties seem to think otherwise...Enough of that...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I try to remain golf agnostic and go with whatever gives me the best results after a fitting. Currently rocking clubs from Callaway, Ping, PXG, Titleist, and Evnroll. Played a Srixon ball for most of last year.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

I’m not brand loyal but there are a few brands that get the chance to go in my bag. I have brands I won’t try or buy for various reasons.

i stick with brands I know the quality and performance will be there with and that also produce good looking clubs

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

6 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Yes ole gray, we want answers!

Ok guys the Launcher HB's were and are the most forgiving and fun hit irons on the planet!  With that said, all things in a club ho's life often changes.  Good or bad we are creatures of habit.   Just ask GolfSpy CG2 😉..........   My favorite irons of all times are the Steelhead irons because I can move the ball easier both ways. I still have my original set of X14  Pro Series Steelheads  with Rifle shafts in my woodshed out back.
irons-bb-x14-pro___1.png?sfrm=png&sw=500

Don't even think about it folks as they are not going anywhere...    Not saying I'm a true worker of the ball but by george I can hit a draw or a fade.  Not always when I want to but never the less it's doable for me.  Now with the Cleveland HB's it was extremely hard for me to hit a fade.   I'm working on changing my ball shape to a fade to ease stress on my back which has two bulging disc. Now ya know!

Cleveland

Anything goes for me as long as it helps me improve my game.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

16 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Ok guys the Launcher HB's were and are the most forgiving and fun hit irons on the planet!  With that said, all things in a club ho's life often changes.  Good or bad we are creatures of habit.   Just ask GolfSpy CG2 😉..........   My favorite irons of all times are the Steelhead irons because I can move the ball easier both ways. I still have my original set of X14  Pro Series Steelheads  with Rifle shafts in my woodshed out back.

Don't even think about it folks as they are not going anywhere...    Not saying I'm a true worker of the ball but by george I can hit a draw or a fade.  Not always when I want to but never the less it's doable for me.  Now with the Cleveland HB's it was extremely hard for me to hit a fade.   I'm working on changing my ball shape to a fade to ease stress on my back which has two bulging disc. Now ya know!

I was thinking maybe I missed some other post about the change. Thanks for the explanation!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Ok guys the Launcher HB's were and are the most forgiving and fun hit irons on the planet!  With that said, all things in a club ho's life often changes.  Good or bad we are creatures of habit.   Just ask GolfSpy CG2 ..........   My favorite irons of all times are the Steelhead irons because I can move the ball easier both ways. I still have my original set of X14  Pro Series Steelheads  with Rifle shafts in my woodshed out back.

I feel like a girlfriend just broke up with me without telling me. I’m joking of course. I hope these help with your back and you continue to enjoy the game. I love my Launchers but I may reach out to Revkev soon to help me fight temptation.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

45 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I feel like a girlfriend just broke up with me without telling me. I’m joking of course. I hope these help with your back and you continue to enjoy the game. I love my Launchers but I may reach out to Revkev soon to help me fight temptation.

Sorry sweety but one of us had to go...... 😘

Cleveland

I'll try most anything.  For a long time I had Ping irons and wedges and Taylormade woods.  Then I bought a Bridgestone driver.  I followed that with a Wilson Staff Nexus carry bag, but I didn't have any W/S clubs!  So... at demo days I tried the W/S hybrids and loved them.  Then the W/S driver replaced the Bridgestone driver, so I had a W/S bag and top end clubs.  THEN, I ended up back with Bridgestone, but this time with the irons.  I've had SCOR wedges for 6 years, but last year I started replacing them with Callaway.  I never had a putter that I truly liked until I was fitted for my Ping last year.  Don't show me anything until these get worn out please!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Haha....let me guess...it’s not me, it’s you?

You need to come on back down to Georgia and  I'll get old DawgDaddy up here and we can recruit one more spy and have a blast!

Cleveland

You need to come on back down to Georgia and  I'll get old DawgDaddy up here and we can recruit one more spy and have a blast!

I’m in! I’ll shoot you some dates next week when I’m back at work and I have my schedule in front of me. Promise you won’t touch my Launchers though.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right