ole gray

Brand Loyal or Anything Goes

I’m not brand loyal but there are a few brands that get the chance to go in my bag. I have brands I won’t try or buy for various reasons.

i stick with brands I know the quality and performance will be there with and that also produce good looking clubs

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

What did I miss, OG?!?! I thought the Launcher HB's were the best thing since sliced bread for you?

6 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Yes ole gray, we want answers!

Ok guys the Launcher HB's were and are the most forgiving and fun hit irons on the planet!  With that said, all things in a club ho's life often changes.  Good or bad we are creatures of habit.   Just ask GolfSpy CG2 😉..........   My favorite irons of all times are the Steelhead irons because I can move the ball easier both ways. I still have my original set of X14  Pro Series Steelheads  with Rifle shafts in my woodshed out back.
irons-bb-x14-pro___1.png?sfrm=png&sw=500

Don't even think about it folks as they are not going anywhere...    Not saying I'm a true worker of the ball but by george I can hit a draw or a fade.  Not always when I want to but never the less it's doable for me.  Now with the Cleveland HB's it was extremely hard for me to hit a fade.   I'm working on changing my ball shape to a fade to ease stress on my back which has two bulging disc. Now ya know!

• Like 7

Anything goes for me as long as it helps me improve my game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Ok guys the Launcher HB's were and are the most forgiving and fun hit irons on the planet!  With that said, all things in a club ho's life often changes.  Good or bad we are creatures of habit.   Just ask GolfSpy CG2 😉..........   My favorite irons of all times are the Steelhead irons because I can move the ball easier both ways. I still have my original set of X14  Pro Series Steelheads  with Rifle shafts in my woodshed out back.

Don't even think about it folks as they are not going anywhere...    Not saying I'm a true worker of the ball but by george I can hit a draw or a fade.  Not always when I want to but never the less it's doable for me.  Now with the Cleveland HB's it was extremely hard for me to hit a fade.   I'm working on changing my ball shape to a fade to ease stress on my back which has two bulging disc. Now ya know!

I was thinking maybe I missed some other post about the change. Thanks for the explanation!

• Like 2

Ok guys the Launcher HB's were and are the most forgiving and fun hit irons on the planet!  With that said, all things in a club ho's life often changes.  Good or bad we are creatures of habit.   Just ask GolfSpy CG2 ..........   My favorite irons of all times are the Steelhead irons because I can move the ball easier both ways. I still have my original set of X14  Pro Series Steelheads  with Rifle shafts in my woodshed out back.

I feel like a girlfriend just broke up with me without telling me. I’m joking of course. I hope these help with your back and you continue to enjoy the game. I love my Launchers but I may reach out to Revkev soon to help me fight temptation.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I feel like a girlfriend just broke up with me without telling me. I’m joking of course. I hope these help with your back and you continue to enjoy the game. I love my Launchers but I may reach out to Revkev soon to help me fight temptation.

Sorry sweety but one of us had to go...... 😘

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sorry sweety but one of us had to go...... 

Haha....let me guess...it’s not me, it’s you?

• Like 4

I'll try most anything.  For a long time I had Ping irons and wedges and Taylormade woods.  Then I bought a Bridgestone driver.  I followed that with a Wilson Staff Nexus carry bag, but I didn't have any W/S clubs!  So... at demo days I tried the W/S hybrids and loved them.  Then the W/S driver replaced the Bridgestone driver, so I had a W/S bag and top end clubs.  THEN, I ended up back with Bridgestone, but this time with the irons.  I've had SCOR wedges for 6 years, but last year I started replacing them with Callaway.  I never had a putter that I truly liked until I was fitted for my Ping last year.  Don't show me anything until these get worn out please!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Haha....let me guess...it’s not me, it’s you?

You need to come on back down to Georgia and  I'll get old DawgDaddy up here and we can recruit one more spy and have a blast!

• Like 2

You need to come on back down to Georgia and  I'll get old DawgDaddy up here and we can recruit one more spy and have a blast!

I’m in! I’ll shoot you some dates next week when I’m back at work and I have my schedule in front of me. Promise you won’t touch my Launchers though.

• Haha 1

I'm definitely not brand loyal, but I won't flat out play anything. I think my current setup is a perfect representation of where I stand. Like many others, I enjoy the new and shiny, and I'm a fan of high quality as well. Simply put, I play the brands I like, and that has almost always resulted in a mixed bag for me. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I’m in! I’ll shoot you some dates next week when I’m back at work and I have my schedule in front of me. Promise you won’t touch my Launchers though.

Sounds like a plan to me partner!   💣

mixed bag, whatever I hit the best I play with. I don’t care what the brand is makes no difference to me. 

• Like 1

I currently game Callaway, Nike, Adams, and Titleist. Thrown in my Srixon Z star balls and I’m pretty much the definition of mixed bag. Oh and I forgot about my TaylorMade towel.

• Like 2

It's... complicated.

I've never been brand loyal to woods.  It goes back to the persimmon days when I'd constantly split wood heads.  I still have my last two persimmon drivers in the attic.

Between my Apex Redlines and my Apex Pluses, I was very loyal to Ben Hogan until they died their first death.

When I bought my Mizuno MX-200s, I thought I'd play Mizuno irons for life.  I really thought I'd replace the 200s with the JPX 900s.  Then I was selected for the Cobra Connect Challenge last year.

I'd never played 13 clubs of the same brand in my life (with a matching bag, no less).  It was weird... for about 10 minutes.  I had a great summer with the full set, but I pulled the driver and 3 hybrid out as soon as I could, along with swapping the clubs back to my SM 2.5 bag.  

At this point, there's no reason to be brand loyal.  So many manufacturers make great clubs now.  Play what fits your eye - and your budget.  As long as you're properly fit, it's tough to go wrong.

• Like 2

Mixed bag, Callaway, Srixon, Ping and Evnroll.   As mentioned earlier, no one paying me so absolutely no brand loyalty.

My kids both have Maltby irons and one daughter has a Wishon driver (my old driver head).  Price quality ratio is great so a good option to get the kids fitted.

• Like 2

I used to be brand loyal but nowdays I just use whatever I like.  Brand doesnt really matter because these companies arent paying me to use their stuff and because theyre all made in the same foundries in China anyways.

• Like 1

I’m a pretty brand loyal person in most aspects of life (with good reasoning) but I have quickly learned and worked towards being open as can be with my golf equipment. Like most of you have already said, I’m more for what works rather than the name.
However, Callaway is one I have drifted towards more often at time but that is after testing others. When testing out my first new set of irons, I tried out TM, Cobra, Ping abs Callaway. My swing (and price point) matched well enough to go with Steelheads and I LOVE them.

Wow - I thought we had a number of these threads but coming here perhaps its been a while since we've had one (I'm getting old and forgetful)

You can tell from my signature that I am not brand "loyal" nor am I locked into using a major OEM or the newest equipment.  However there are certain brands that I know generally work for me in the iron/driver category - the two areas that I change most frequently.  I will gravitate towards those  brands first which means some very popular brands never get a crack there. 

I believe that every major OEM makes high quality equipment and that it would be possible for me to get fit into a set from each that would work just fine for my game.  But I don't have the time or money for that so I stick with the ones that I know better and have had success with.

Really interesting answers here.  Enjoyable read

• Like 3

Hogan was the first brand I fell in love with. Then I had a decent stretch with mostly Adams equipment. I felt they put a pretty great product out there just sisnt spend through the roof on advertising. Callaway and TM were super low on my favorites list due to the snuffing of my two favorite brands.
Now I think I am over my grudges. Reading through all the reviews of the different brands, it seems any one of them might be a best fit for anyone. I wouldn't feel one bit awkward playing a Wilson driver if it worked best for me. It would just have to be the best by a lot if I can get a G400 for $200 less.
I think I still lean towards the little guys. Asked on what I have e read hear and other places my dream bag would be:
G400 LST driver (maybe not so little?)
Cobra F8 3 wood
Adams XTD Ti 3 hybrid
Sub70 639CB irons
Hogan Equalizer black wedges
Cleveland SOFT putter

I think that bag would be pretty good boom for the buck.

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app