Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Laid off, let go, terminated...

zombini316

I was laid off/let go/terminated/downsized/whatever you wanna call it for the first time in my life one month ago today. It's been a weird month. They gave me several months of severance as I had been with the company for over 7 years, so that's nice. But I was doing something that may be going the way of the dodo. I had already planned a second career and this is helping to jumpstart that a little more, but I do need a real job for a bit longer before I can fully support myself on the side hustle. Unfortunately I haven't made it to the course here as I've either been trying to keep busy with the side hustle, keeping an ear out for a new job, or just being busy with the family. I think I'll go to the driving range here in a bit though. 

If you've been laid off/let go/terminated/downsized/whatever, how did you cope? Did playing a few rounds help? Did ignoring your clubs help? Did something that has nothing to do with golf help? I know I'm not alone out there. 

:cobra-small: Cobra Radspeed Driver

:cobra-small: Air-X 5 Wood

:cobra-small: AMP Irons 4-PW custom fit

:cobra-small:AMP Cell 3 hybrid

:wilson-small: M5 Harmonized mallet putter

:wilson-small: Titanium ball

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles there. Best wishes for a positive outcome in the very near future.

I've been laid-ff several times throughout my career, mostly due to company re-organizations, buy-outs, whatever, and with one exception where I was on the dole for around 3-months, I had a new job in the same industry the very next week. That long-term lay-off was many years ago and long before I took up serious golf, but I was very single and into target shooting & hunting at the time. It was spring time (about now) then and so I'd cruise the wanted ads on the computer in the morning, then go out to the desert and help clear it of ground squirrels the rest of the day. Good therapy that...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Distractions are good for keeping your mind healthy. I’d suggest in the interim, finding work that is fun, and outside of something you would normally aim for. It will help release stress and give you an opportunity to change focus. You clearly love golf. A golf service job with playing perks can do that.

From the other side of the table, one thing I’ve always admired is people who work jobs that they may be overqualified for while searching for a more suitable career.

I am not sure of your circumstances and frankly it’s none of my business. All I will say is that the candidate who has swallowed their pride to keep a revenue source flowing shows me that you don’t have too much pride and are a team player.

Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Sorry to hear about your job situation. I have been in that position a few times. For me my focus was on getting a job. Fortunately my unemployment never lasted long, but I didn’t want to spend money since I really didn’t have disposable income so no golf or anything like that. Recessions an lay-offs probably took the biggest toll on my golfing group as people were unable to play.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Sorry to hear about that.  Has happened to me a couple times.

I'm lucky to have a very supportive betterr half. She didn't want me to stop living or give up everything I enjoyed.   She felt it helped keep my mind off the worries, and new that I didn't abuse or over do it, and that I was focusing full time on getting a job.

It always seems to work out in the end.  If you're in position to hit the range now and then, do if you can swing a round of golf now and then, all the better.    

Good luck, the old saying is...Everything happens for a reason! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Sorry to hear about your situation!

I've been downsized twice. The first time it did not take me long to find a new job. The most recent time I was out of work about 9 months. I got a good bonus and severance package so we were fine financially, but since I didn't know how long I'd be out of work, we didn't spend much. I did golf a decent amount, but less than average since we were trying to make wise financial decisions. I found doing things like golf, even if it was just going to the putting/chipping green, helped ease some of the stress and anxiety that come with the uncertainty (especially since I had a kid about to head to college and the University thought we still made/had too much money).

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Twice here as well.  The first time I had a different position with the same company before my 2 weeks were up so it was pretty stress free.

The 2nd time was about 3-4 years ago and I'm still unemployed.  Ok, that's not entirely accurate.  I tell people I'm retired, but my wife and I talked and decided that I would become a stay at home dad for our 2 boys.  My oldest is in 2nd grade now and my youngest is finishing his last year of pre-school and will start kindergarten in the fall.  I just recently started working a few hours a week at my buddies industrial paint shop (think industrial parts and screen printing, not cars or houses).  I will probably just work more there once the kids are both in school.  At this point in time I have no plans to go back to corporate life.

It was scary for a while the 2nd time I was laid off, I did play some extra golf and enjoyed a month or so of relaxing before we let our nanny go and confirmed I would be a stay at home dad.

So I guess for me it was spending some extra time with my family, getting to golf and hang out with my friends a little more, and picking up some hobbies that helped me to handle the layoff.  I built a forge and started tinkering with blacksmithing and started making ball markers and divot tools for myself.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Once here 15 years ago.  And golf never once crossed my mind. Only thing I thought about was my family and getting some form of income in fast. I’ve always thought the time spent on a course. Should be better utilized going on interviews and sending out resumes. It’s like anything else in this harsh world. You snooze you lose. 

Keep it in the short stuff

A distraction is not a bad thing. You only have one life to live so live it and don’t let it live you. Goal setting is the best way to overcome life’s challenges. You show me someone who doesn’t get out of the bed every day with a burning desire to live their life and I’ll show you someone who simply doesn’t have enough goals.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Sorry to hear about that. I too was recently let go after 22 years. 2 weeks ago. Our department closed. I went back to jogging and just looking for work on Indeed. I just accepted a position for another company and start working on 4/1. I did get practice in with my speed trainer. I wouldn’t have minded a few warm days to play, but I’m in Indiana so we don’t get sunshine AND warm weather. It’s one OR the other.

Good luck with your job search!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

This happened to me once and quite honestly became the impetus for my going to Seminary.  The layoff came from out of the blue right when my wife was pregnant with our first child - what a sucker punch!  I was able to hustle some scratch by selling burglar alarms door to door, that and the money the company gave me let us get through the time okay until I found a real job.

I did play some golf during that time - I was on the road all day any way so I played 9 here or there - golf has been my outlet throughout adulthood. 

Good luck and so sorry about your current situation.  I'm sure that something good will come from it though.  Look for that opportunity and you will land on your feet ready to jump higher again.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thank you everyone for the kind words and sharing your experiences. I'm only 32 and it came as a bit of a shock, at least the way they handled it. But I've got solid leads for the future and shouldn't have to cut back on golf, might even do a bit more! We'll see. 

I was laid off in 2007 from a job I had been at since graduating high school in 93. The economic downturn was hitting hard at that time and good jobs were at a premium. I did get a severance, but it wasn't huge. I had a friend that got me a job at a chicken house to get some money flowing until I could find something else.

After a couple of weeks, my brother got a lead that there was a job opening in a home decor store for a stock worker. I took the job. It got me through, even though the money wasn't great, until an auto manufacturer opened a plant in my area. Money was lean there for a while, but it turned out to be the greatest thing to happen to me: I met the woman that I would marry.

I'm sorry to hear about you losing your job, I really hope you can find something soon. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

this kind of stuff is why i love this forum.  we, IMO, all have each other's backs.  it's a great support system. 

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I used to work in the investment industry in NY City .. and the only constant is change .. ie. you pretty much expect to eventually be moved around in a re-org shuffle or as new bosses come and go or even as whole departments are re-structured and occasionally "let go" en masse.....

I filled in the in-between times by leveraging the expertise I'd gained each time and picking up a few consulting gigs. Not big money, but enough. I'd also make sure I was still networking / searching / keeping an ear out for another good full-time opportunity.

And w/r/t to golf time - YES! Absolutely yes. Consider if you _were_ working, the amount of time you'd go and practice or play ... use that as guide and spend the rest of your time working on your "side hustle" and your search for a suitable f/t spot.

Oh, PS:
During my layoff periods I was not yet a golfer - I drove down to the beach and jumped in the water with my surfboard. Very therapeutic .. gives you time to really "clear your head" and prioritize your thoughts and ideas.....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1.5 years now, I was laid off due to an impending merger no one outside of upper management knew about.

We have been frugal and my wife has a good job,more than enough to pay the Bill's we have. Being 59 I put in 100's of resumes, did many interviews but have had no luck. I mark it up to my age and companies preferring 30 somethings who will work for less.

In the meantime, I played a minimum of 3 times per week, often 4. I enjoyed golf and renovated 3 rooms in the house. I also opened a handyman business that keeps me in golf money.

I'm still casually looking for a job, but being productive in other ways, renovating rooms 4 and 5 now. I'm down to two rounds a week due to poor winter weather, but spring is here in Texas so the golf will increase again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've been paid off a few times in my life for various reasons.  I could have kept one or two of those jobs, but  I was not willing to relocate across the country.  One time in my younger days I was let go due to a new owner coming in and letting a few guys go.  I was young and no kids with some severance and a savings.  I golfed, hunted, fished, camped, and basically did what I wanted until I felt the need to go find work.  

When I was laid off with a kid, I basically went in to survival mode even though I had severance and savings.   I cut way back, shopped sales, looked for work everyday, and spent as little as possible except the occasional special moment with my daughter or whatever.  Golf was non-existent as was lots of things.  

Good luck to you and things work out.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I have been laid off 3 times.. and yes a distractions are good.. Focus on taking care of the family first.
Luckily the unemployment rate is at a 48yr low. Which means you should be in good shape fairly soon.. keep your head up and focus on the positive things.. Family, health, and friends..

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Got to check out the Valero Texas Open today for the first time. My dad has been volunteering there for years, but Thursday seems a pretty good day to go if you don't want to fight crowds. I've been interviewing and sending out resumes. Gonna try to get a round in this next week. Thanks for being awesome y'all. 

IMG_20190404_100821613.jpg

IMG_20190404_112819328.jpg

IMG_20190404_124619066_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190404_103514446_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the nice pics!

Good luck on the job hunt.

Driver: :ping-small: G with Alta 55 stiff shaft, the 9° version but adjusted to 10° degrees

3 Wood: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

Irons: :cobra-small: Fly-Z 4-9 with stock stiff steel shafts

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58° Dynamic Gold steel shafts

Putter: Testing :odyssey-small: EXO 7S 34" Standard Lie, Black Shaft, Odyssey SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 grip

Archived