TESTERS WANTED! ×

Odyssey Stroke Lab Experiment

CV20

Hey everyone, just posting to let you know of an expierment I recently conducted with stroke lab.

I really wanted to see if Stroke Lab could help me become a more consistant putter. So I set out to try and see if there was a way to determine that without Sam Putt Lab or robots. What I decided I would do is go to an indoor practice facility with one Stroke Lab and one non Stroke Lab. Luckily I was able to get my hands of demos of both. The Stroke Lab I went with was the face balanced version of the #7, which I seemed to putt the best with out of the Stroke Lab range  that was available to me. The non Stroke Lab I went with, to keep it as fair as possible was theface balanced Taylormade Spider Tour. Two similar putters that I had rolled pretty well with very high MOI and forgiveness. Now to the test....

I decided, for me the best way to see if the Stroke Lab gave me any considerable advantage was to putt from two distances. The first distance being 7ft. a distance that for me can always make or break a round, and 25ft. At each distance I would hit 30 putts for a total of 60 putts. With the seven footers I was looking to simply see how many I holed. I did keep track of how far my misses strayed from the hole, but overall I was looking to see how many I could drop. {Yes, I did keep the stick in Smiley Wink } Anyways, I warmed up a bit with the Stroke Lab and then procceded with the 7 footers. 

I broke the 7 footers up into sets of 10. Out of my first 10 I holed 7 but struggled a little bit with my tempo. 70%, I'll take it. wrote it down in the notebook with how far past the hole the 3 misses went. Then hit 10 again, and with this set I gained a more consistant stroke and holed 8/10. Wrote it down, however I did try and bury one and hit it about 4ish feet by, made the come backer though. Finally the last 10, in which hole once again holed 7 out of 10. Not bad, not great though. Stroke Lab #7 makes 22/30 for 73% made. Overall I was happy with the results. Espcially because this test was taking place in a pretty controled environment, indoors with no wind and no extreme weather. Now on to the 25 footers. 

With the 25 footers in order to make sure I could keep track of how far away from the hole my misses were I hit the putts in sets of two. Not ideal, but it helped make sure balls were not hitting eachother during the test. Again broke it up into sets of 10. The first two sets I made 2 out of 10 which was fine by me. However, I noticed the putts I did not make did not usually stray more than 2 feet past or short of the cup. (Usually past the cup) Finally on the last set of 10 I was feeling it. I made 4 of 10 and scared the hole on at least 2 other attempts. Wow. This brought me to a final score of 8 for 30. A percentage of just over 26.5 %! In the attached PDF is a futher break down of the numbers of test. 

Now on to the Taylormade. To keep it fair I switched it up and did the 25 footers first since I had just hit from that distance. I warmed up with a few putts and then strarted with my first 30. The putter feld good, however they just were not dropping. 10 out of my first 17 had a chance to go in but did not. I rounded up the 25 footers with the spider and holed 5 of 30 for a percentage of just over 16.5 made. 3 short of the 8 I made with the Stroke Lab and a 10% dropoff. This could be due to a lot of things. I do think something that may be lost in the marketing hype of the shaft is just how good the microhinge white hot insert feets. Much improved over last years micro hindge insert. Mis hits still have a chance to stay online and drop. I think that has more to do with the insert and MOI of the head rather than the shaft. 

When I went on to the 30 7 footers with the Spider I once again holed 22/30 just like the Stroke Lab. However, I had to hole 9 out of my last 10 to get there. The spider has a good unique feel of its own and I don't know if the Spider Tour X would have changed the results of the 25 footers. I know the Spider mini has the same insert of the X and I have been contemplating getting that one every since Taylormade released it earlier this past summer. I did however hit 10 more with from 7 ft. with the Stroke Lab and holed 8 out of 10. Just for good measure. 

Overall I think stroke lab is worth a try and at least for me when, everything was as equal as it could be in a human experiment, it gave me a considerable advantage from 25ft. Now does that mean I'm going to always go 8 for 30 from 25ft. all the time? No, but I'd like to think stroke lab gives me a chance to reach that number more often than not. The big factor for me with stroke lab is it will hopefully get rid of the 3 jacks. They come up every so often and keep me from being an average putter. Like Henrik I just want to be average! Hope this helps you all get out there and try your own experiments!  

Odyssey Stroke Lab Test  - Sheet1.jpg

Interesting results.  When I was doing a putt fitting with CC on SAM, I was comfortable with my TM Spider and it was a good fit for me according to SAM.  The testing did reveal that I was having a tendency to miss fairly consistently just to the left edge of the hole.  We played around with a few other putters including the Stroke Lab 7S (toe hang very close to my Spider) and suddenly the stroke felt better and I found myself holing almost every putt.  Put the Spider back in my hand and I was burning that left edge again.  I bought the Stroke Lab right off his demo floor.  Used it yesterday to shoot a 78, only missing 2 putts that I felt I should have made.  

Thanks for your test and excellent write up!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

8 hours ago, CV20 said:

Hey everyone, just posting to let you know of an expierment I recently conducted with stroke lab.

I really wanted to see if Stroke Lab could help me become a more consistant putter. So I set out to try and see if there was a way to determine that without Sam Putt Lab or robots. What I decided I would do is go to an indoor practice facility with one Stroke Lab and one non Stroke Lab. Luckily I was able to get my hands of demos of both. The Stroke Lab I went with was the face balanced version of the #7, which I seemed to putt the best with out of the Stroke Lab range  that was available to me. The non Stroke Lab I went with, to keep it as fair as possible was theface balanced Taylormade Spider Tour. Two similar putters that I had rolled pretty well with very high MOI and forgiveness. Now to the test....

I decided, for me the best way to see if the Stroke Lab gave me any considerable advantage was to putt from two distances. The first distance being 7ft. a distance that for me can always make or break a round, and 25ft. At each distance I would hit 30 putts for a total of 60 putts. With the seven footers I was looking to simply see how many I holed. I did keep track of how far my misses strayed from the hole, but overall I was looking to see how many I could drop. {Yes, I did keep the stick in Smiley Wink } Anyways, I warmed up a bit with the Stroke Lab and then procceded with the 7 footers. 

I broke the 7 footers up into sets of 10. Out of my first 10 I holed 7 but struggled a little bit with my tempo. 70%, I'll take it. wrote it down in the notebook with how far past the hole the 3 misses went. Then hit 10 again, and with this set I gained a more consistant stroke and holed 8/10. Wrote it down, however I did try and bury one and hit it about 4ish feet by, made the come backer though. Finally the last 10, in which hole once again holed 7 out of 10. Not bad, not great though. Stroke Lab #7 makes 22/30 for 73% made. Overall I was happy with the results. Espcially because this test was taking place in a pretty controled environment, indoors with no wind and no extreme weather. Now on to the 25 footers. 

With the 25 footers in order to make sure I could keep track of how far away from the hole my misses were I hit the putts in sets of two. Not ideal, but it helped make sure balls were not hitting eachother during the test. Again broke it up into sets of 10. The first two sets I made 2 out of 10 which was fine by me. However, I noticed the putts I did not make did not usually stray more than 2 feet past or short of the cup. (Usually past the cup) Finally on the last set of 10 I was feeling it. I made 4 of 10 and scared the hole on at least 2 other attempts. Wow. This brought me to a final score of 8 for 30. A percentage of just over 26.5 %! In the attached PDF is a futher break down of the numbers of test. 

Now on to the Taylormade. To keep it fair I switched it up and did the 25 footers first since I had just hit from that distance. I warmed up with a few putts and then strarted with my first 30. The putter feld good, however they just were not dropping. 10 out of my first 17 had a chance to go in but did not. I rounded up the 25 footers with the spider and holed 5 of 30 for a percentage of just over 16.5 made. 3 short of the 8 I made with the Stroke Lab and a 10% dropoff. This could be due to a lot of things. I do think something that may be lost in the marketing hype of the shaft is just how good the microhinge white hot insert feets. Much improved over last years micro hindge insert. Mis hits still have a chance to stay online and drop. I think that has more to do with the insert and MOI of the head rather than the shaft. 

When I went on to the 30 7 footers with the Spider I once again holed 22/30 just like the Stroke Lab. However, I had to hole 9 out of my last 10 to get there. The spider has a good unique feel of its own and I don't know if the Spider Tour X would have changed the results of the 25 footers. I know the Spider mini has the same insert of the X and I have been contemplating getting that one every since Taylormade released it earlier this past summer. I did however hit 10 more with from 7 ft. with the Stroke Lab and holed 8 out of 10. Just for good measure. 

Overall I think stroke lab is worth a try and at least for me when, everything was as equal as it could be in a human experiment, it gave me a considerable advantage from 25ft. Now does that mean I'm going to always go 8 for 30 from 25ft. all the time? No, but I'd like to think stroke lab gives me a chance to reach that number more often than not. The big factor for me with stroke lab is it will hopefully get rid of the 3 jacks. They come up every so often and keep me from being an average putter. Like Henrik I just want to be average! Hope this helps you all get out there and try your own experiments!  

Odyssey Stroke Lab Test  - Sheet1.jpg

That is some awesome putting.   I don't know for sure but I would have to say 26% from 25 feet has to be close to PGA Tour level stats.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I was wrong. I didn't give you enough credit.  You blew away the PGA Tour stat from 20 feet and 7 feet ...let alone 25 feet.   Well done!

CF0CBB7A-8650-4635-A48E-4D9ADEB2089A.png

Haha 🤣 I was putting on an indoor green that was pretty straight so all I really needed to do was get the line and speed. Also I lined up every putt and went through my pre shot routine so I could give myself the best chance to make it or keep it inside 3 feet. My last 10 putts with the stroke lab I holed the first two and my 5 and 7th putts which I probably couldn't do again if I hit another 100 putts. Last season I was was just over 3% from 25+ feet when the putt was uphill. Around 2% if I had a downhill 25+ foot putt. That's really the only putting stat I keep when I'm playing is how many putts I have from 20-25+ feet. 

This is the challenge of testing a putter....how do you do a viable test without having some sort of tool to measure your stroke. Launch monitors are everywhere for full swing clubs but it is hard to find something for putting.

I know some people don’t want to know those details for putting and it is all about feel and looks. (please note the extreme sarcasm in the prior statement.)

But given a set of putters and the same putt, did the last putter perform better because you have learned the putt. Does a straight putt really tell you how well you will putt long term? How much influence does the ground play in a make or miss? Does making more putts make it a better putter for you? And finally how do you make a single persons results translate to other golfers? Why would something that does or doesn’t work for me work or not work for someone else.

Mostly rhetorical stuff but what I think about when trying to evaluate putters even for myself.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, CV20 said:

Haha 🤣 I was putting on an indoor green that was pretty straight so all I really needed to do was get the line and speed. Also I lined up every putt and went through my pre shot routine so I could give myself the best chance to make it or keep it inside 3 feet. My last 10 putts with the stroke lab I holed the first two and my 5 and 7th putts which I probably couldn't do again if I hit another 100 putts. Last season I was was just over 3% from 25+ feet when the putt was uphill. Around 2% if I had a downhill 25+ foot putt. That's really the only putting stat I keep when I'm playing is how many putts I have from 20-25+ feet. 

yeah, but still pretty impressive.    

That said, I think the Stroke Lab really works, at the risk of repeating myself in a "humble brag" because I can't remember where I posted this.   

But I was at a Calllaway education day two weeks ago that had over 90 people in attendance, most PGA Pros then a few assorted guys who are PGA but are involved in selling their product--that's where I fit in.   They had a putting contest to highlight the Stroke Lab putters.   Simple contest, make the most 10 footers in a row to win.

By the time i tried the best was 6 in a row.   I was hoping to make 1 and at least not embarrass myself.   I made---to quote LaBron--Not 1, Not 2, Not 3, Not 4, made 5 in a row,  now I was really feeling a bit shaky, and thought I had left the putt short, but it somehow managed to make those two extra rotations and dropped in for 6 in a row to tie.  Rolled 7 and 8 center cut and 9 was a great putt that just caught too much lip and lipped out.  

But each stroke with that putter #7 style, which is what I use in my gamer putter for 4 years now, was just so smooth and stable.   

@cnosil Yeah nothing is going to be perfect. I could go back and do better with the Spider than the Stroke Lab. I did go back yesterday and putt with the Stroke Lab and the Ping Sigma 2 Fetch and both putters performed well. Everything plays a part in making putts, especially if you think you have a putter that will make more putts than every other putter out there. It might not be true but golf is a mental game lol 

Archived