TESTERS WANTED! ×

REALLY good chippers - chip in here pls

As a really bad chipper could I hear the techniques in here from people who are really good chippers?

Technique/style etc the simpler the better. I feel I need to radically change. I can't seem to capture the chipping I had as a young man where I expected to hole it or be very close. Now all I hope for is not to thin or chunk it. Help me MGS chipping gurus 👏

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I wouldn't call myself a guru by any stretch of the imagination but what will probably be mentioned more than anything is practice.

A few years ago I expected to make every chip taken from 10' off the green and in. I then started chasing a better driver swing for more distance and completely quit practicing everything else but putting. Well needless to say the driver got better but everything else including putting got worse. Nowadays I don't get to the range often but when I do I work on everything.

Technique wise I play the ball even with my back foot almost exclusively and depending on the loft I use, the shot changes. I prefer to use my 56* and play a one or two hop and check shot but if I am struggling with that, I will use my 48* and bump and run. Unless I am trying a flop shot, I will use the same technique for everything chip, pitch, or bump and run. For me, I get my confidence from knowing that I am using the same technique and stroke I always do but using a different club to get the result I am looking for.

I will add that this is my technique for anything inside 50 yards.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

A number of years ago I adopted the use of my 8i for chipping/bump & run around the green.  I use to battle between using my 7i for this or grabbing my PW.  The 7i did not provide enough loft at times and the PW often too much.  An older friend used an 8i and was just lights out with it.  He told me he too struggled with that part of the game but modeled using the 8i after another guy he played with.  So, I just started working with my 8i and committed to it.  It has now become a strength for me.

I keep my feet close together, choke down slightly, keep my grip really light, and silent count a "one-two" swing tempo.  I also tend to read my bump and runs much a putt - perhaps subconsciously telling myself this is going in. This is something I practice quite a bit because it is both easy to do and because it has become such an important aspect of my game.  I'll opt for the 8i over my PW except when having to clear a trap, or shaggy grass with little green to work with to the hole, etc.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I’ve been working on this tirelessly for several years, I’d call my self a good chipper.

But I started to chip good after I watched the Seve video. I know I will wear that YouTube link out. But it is soooooo damn simple.

Low chips / open stance, hands forward, ball off right heel, slightly open clubface but pointed at Target. Stronger lofted clubs, 52°, PW, 9, 8, 7... try to use the same swing for all of them / imagine the same landing point, find a reference on the green, fringe, fairway... land all of those at the same spot and check the roll out. Pace it off and write it down for future use.

High chips / open stance, open clubface but point at Target, ball forward off left heel (looks centered), hands neutral (I go even slightly behind depending on what I am doing. *Not recommended* but if your into having fun...)... for 56°, 60° and higher. Same thing for these, find a reference point and land them all in the same spot, check roll out. Write it down.

Practice going into the grain, and with it, across grain.

There is a lot more that I think about when chipping, like do I want to use any curve to slow the ball more, or speed it up.

Not a professional, just a short game nut.

*Adding to it*

The lie is another often overlooked part of this. Are you going with or against the way the grass is going. I just picked up on this more last year.

Addition 2: sounds complicated, but after a few you’ll get that “Ah Ha” moment.

Look in the search as there’s a REALLY long thread on chipping. Lots of good ways to chip in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

A number of years ago I adopted the use of my 8i for chipping/bump & run around the green.  I use to battle between using my 7i for this or grabbing my PW.  The 7i did not provide enough loft at times and the PW often too much.  An older friend used an 8i and was just lights out with it.  He told me he too struggled with that part of the game but modeled using the 8i after another guy he played with.  So, I just started working with my 8i and committed to it.  It has now become a strength for me.

I keep my feet close together, choke down slightly, keep my grip really light, and silent count a "one-two" swing tempo.  I also tend to read my bump and runs much a putt - perhaps subconsciously telling myself this is going in. This is something I practice quite a bit because it is both easy to do and because it has become such an important aspect of my game.  I'll opt for the 8i over my PW except when having to clear a trap, or shaggy grass with little green to work with to the hole, etc.

This, except that I use my 9i

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

As a really bad chipper could I hear the techniques in here from people who are really good chippers?
Technique/style etc the simpler the better. I feel I need to radically change. I can't seem to capture the chipping I had as a young man where I expected to hole it or be very close. Now all I hope for is not to thin or chunk it. Help me MGS chipping gurus 

Here you go:
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/30297-lets-hear-your-chipping-tipstechniquesthat-work/

Technique/style etc the simpler the better. I feel I need to radically change. I can't seem to capture the chipping I had as a young man where I expected to hole it or be very close. Now all I hope for is not to thin or chunk it. Help me MGS chipping gurus 

I just entered the link and realized you had started that thread on chipping.
Oh well.

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

I just entered the link and realized you had started that thread on chipping.
Oh well.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Must be the alien bots.

More like a senior moment😂

or even likelier it's desperation.........🙄

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

@Shankster I owe you (and Seve) a beer. You've told me and shown me the Seve video before and I watched it but didnt interpret it correctly.

Your explanation a few posts above made it crystal clear and I went and practiced it today at the chipping green, lovely contact, high and low shots, started to pick a landing spot I was getting that cocky lol no fats or thins.

Previously I had the ball too far forward, it looked right of centre but in reality it was well left of centre, no wonder I was thinning and fatting everything. The right heel and face slightly open is key for me. Thanks again👏

On 3/25/2019 at 12:28 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

Your explanation a few posts above made it crystal clear and I went and practiced it today at the chipping green, lovely contact, high and low shots, started to pick a landing spot I was getting that cocky lol no fats or thins.

Glad to hear about some confidence coming back to your chipping/pitching.  Hope it continues for you. 

I too am at my best chipping when I am concentrating hard on the landing spot and how the ball will react once it gets rolling.  I prefer to do most of my short game work with my 54* so I know exactly the rollout dependent on shot.  Really helps to keep it simpler for me.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

@Shankster,

Tried this today in the backyard and it felt fantastic. How far out is this good for you? I was pretty comfortable carrying about 20 yards. I think anything longer would be pushing my comfort level. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

[mention=69396]Shankster[/mention],
Tried this today in the backyard and it felt fantastic. How far out is this good for you? I was pretty comfortable carrying about 20 yards. I think anything longer would be pushing my comfort level. 

Yeah. I go up to a 8 iron with that particular shot style. About 20-25 yards in the air, however I try to limit that chip style to shorter distances, with front flagsticks, use more of spinny shot for longer shots. But I make sure to keep the swing length the same, that’s the point of that chip swing. Same swing and let the club loft do the rest. I don’t try to make the 56° go the 8 iron distance. That’s a different type of shot. Remember, Seve used chipping for a lot of roll. Minimal time in the air. You could also read Arnies tips, the spell it out a little better on what to expect from the roll out.

I am actually working on a new shot, one that I can spin or make it run from the same set up. I found a gem of a Trevino video on how Seve got so much spin out of the bunkers and those short pitches that checked up instantly. It is much like Jason Day’s straight arm pitching technique.

Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts. I had watched the Seve video and had been doing this with only my 54 degree. I'll have to try mixing in a few different clubs to see the results.

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up

Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts. I had watched the Seve video and had been doing this with only my 54 degree. I'll have to try mixing in a few different clubs to see the results.

No problem. The way I see it, I have a whole bag full of tools. Plus it will give you many options, I mean you could use a 3 iron with a small swing and get a ton of roll. I will be trying everything from putter to Driver this year with the same swing.

I’ll have the chip swing, a 1/2 swing, 3/4 swing, and full dialed in with 7 iron and lower at least.

Look at Sergio, he chips with his 3 wood from time to time. Very small swing.

In the Seve video you’ll notice he uses the fringe as a reference point. The low one only goes about a yard in the air, and was more accurate by a foot or so than the high one.

It sounds like you are using it for a pitch shot too. In the full video he goes into a pitch and run which is a large chip swing. He uses different clubs for different distances there too. It might only be a few yards or less carry distance between them all, but the roll out will also be more.

I really don’t have any courses near by to use any pitch and runs, or “use the ground” more. Mostly forced carries and perched greens. Takes away from the game if you ask me.

Have fun!

I was once told that the chip shot should be landed about 5 feet on the green with whatever club you are using.  The reasoning is that when the green is mowed, they make a final pass around the outside perimeter of the green, so that's where the grass is the most consistent for receiving the ball.  Landing on the green further than that, the ball will land on grass that has been mowed towards you or away from you.  I have no idea whether this is BS; just what I was told by a pro once.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hey Kenny. I am not sure whether this mowing technique is legit or not, although I would tend to believe that every course does it their own unique way. But aside from that, in my personal opinion, I don’t love the tip of always landing it 5 feet onto the green. For a scratch golfer (not me) or for someone who can practice regularly, this may prove successful. But to me, this technique would require a lot of confusion over exactly which club to hit to allow you to hit a chip shot 5 feet on that will roll out just far enough, because depending on lie, distance, slope, etc this could be a large number of clubs if your main focus is finding the club that allows you to land it 5 feet on if that makes sense? There are certainly times that this shot is the best play, but often times it may be best to get the ball on the air more and play a soft landing near the hole.

Im not sure what your skill level is, but personally, I would suggest spending some time around the greens practicing a number of shots. From high lofted, to bump and run, to a chip that checks up, etc. This would allow you to have more tools in your arsenal and never get in a situation where landing it 5 feet present an impossible shot or one that could flirt with water, hazard etc.

Chipping is mostly about feel and confidence. Knowing how to hit a variety of shots around the green and land them in a variety of locations in relation to the hole or edge of the green will be certain to lower your score. I took a summer to learn a number of ways to approach shots around the greens and it has paid off immensely! I hope this helps answer your question and isn’t too confusing! Haha good luck this season!

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero (Fujikara 62g Stiff Shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP63 (stock length & lie)
Wedges: Mizuno Blue T7 (60,56,52 degree)
Handicap: 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Jhigdon13 said:

Hey Kenny. I am not sure whether this mowing technique is legit or not, although I would tend to believe that every course does it their own unique way. But aside from that, in my personal opinion, I don’t love the tip of always landing it 5 feet onto the green. For a scratch golfer (not me) or for someone who can practice regularly, this may prove successful. But to me, this technique would require a lot of confusion over exactly which club to hit to allow you to hit a chip shot 5 feet on that will roll out just far enough, because depending on lie, distance, slope, etc this could be a large number of clubs if your main focus is finding the club that allows you to land it 5 feet on if that makes sense? There are certainly times that this shot is the best play, but often times it may be best to get the ball on the air more and play a soft landing near the hole.

Im not sure what your skill level is, but personally, I would suggest spending some time around the greens practicing a number of shots. From high lofted, to bump and run, to a chip that checks up, etc. This would allow you to have more tools in your arsenal and never get in a situation where landing it 5 feet present an impossible shot or one that could flirt with water, hazard etc.

Chipping is mostly about feel and confidence. Knowing how to hit a variety of shots around the green and land them in a variety of locations in relation to the hole or edge of the green will be certain to lower your score. I took a summer to learn a number of ways to approach shots around the greens and it has paid off immensely! I hope this helps answer your question and isn’t too confusing! Haha good luck this season!

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero (Fujikara 62g Stiff Shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP63 (stock length & lie)
Wedges: Mizuno Blue T7 (60,56,52 degree)
Handicap: 7

I didn't say I use that shot; in fact I don't.  That was what a pro told me.  The idea was that a player should always try to land a ball in about the same place, and know what different clubs will give different amounts of Fly vs Roll.  That is, how far is it to land the ball in that zone, and how far will a ball roll when it lands?  Clearly, it depends on a lot of factors that you mentioned, and a player needs to understand and practice shots with multiple clubs.  It's one way to chip, and I'm not talking pitch shots.  

I tried that method with lousy results.  I am a much better chipper when I use one or two clubs.  I know how the ball comes off those clubs and how far they roll.  I can vary my stroke trajectory to give me the amount of carry and roll I need.  I find it much easier to chip this way, rather than the multiple club approach. 

I was just curious if anyone had heard of the mowing of the green being a factor in where to land chip shots, and whether of not it's worthwhile to consider.  Personally, I don't use that part of the green when chipping unless the pin is relatively close.

EDIT:  As far as the mowing technique, I am only familiar with the riding greens mowers.  They are all the same here.  The greens are mowed back and forth, but the last pass is always around the perimeter to catch the edge of the green that can't be reached by the back and forth passes.  I'm sure it's different with the walk-behind mowers on the PGA Tour and fancy courses.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I didn't say I use that shot; in fact I don't.  That was what a pro told me.  The idea was that a player should always try to land a ball in about the same place, and know what different clubs will give different amounts of Fly vs Roll.  That is, how far is it to land the ball in that zone, and how far will a ball roll when it lands?  Clearly, it depends on a lot of factors that you mentioned, and a player needs to understand and practice shots with multiple clubs.  It's one way to chip, and I'm not talking pitch shots.  
I tried that method with lousy results.  I am a much better chipper when I use one or two clubs.  I know how the ball comes off those clubs and how far they roll.  I can vary my stroke trajectory to give me the amount of carry and roll I need.  I find it much easier to chip this way, rather than the multiple club approach. 
I was just curious if anyone had heard of the mowing of the green being a factor in where to land chip shots, and whether of not it's worthwhile to consider.  Personally, I don't use that part of the green when chipping unless the pin is relatively close.
EDIT:  As far as the mowing technique, I am only familiar with the riding greens mowers.  They are all the same here.  The greens are mowed back and forth, but the last pass is always around the perimeter to catch the edge of the green that can't be reached by the back and forth passes.  I'm sure it's different with the walk-behind mowers on the PGA Tour and fancy courses.

Ah ok. I thought you were wanting to know whether or not to use this technique. Haha but yeah that mowing technique makes sense to me and is probably true. I worked at courses for 5+ years and sadly never noticed that! I know pros always take into account whether a putt is down grain or not so I can see this being a thing on chips shots.

I am not suggesting anyone use my tips or ideas, because I am not a teaching pro. I’ve always thought that if I can’t figure it out myself, I might as well stop. That’s why I don’t fly fish, play pool, or surgery.

I do learn very well from watching and reading. I stumbled upon Nick Faldo’s tips last night after trying to find aka better way to explain my (Nicks) method. There on his website, and if you punch in Sir Nicks Tips in the search bar on YouTube you’ll find them. He explains it very simply. Almost exactly how I play it and I’ve never seen those videos before.

If everyone still likes my tidbits I’ll chime in every once and a while, but I do recommend if you are a type of person that works well with coaching to get a lesson. I live in no mans land do lessons are sparse, plus I wouldn’t want them to try and get all technical on me.

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I am a much better chipper when I use one or two clubs.  I know how the ball comes off those clubs and how far they roll.  I can vary my stroke trajectory to give me the amount of carry and roll I need.  I find it much easier to chip this way, rather than the multiple club approach. 

That's typically where I've been in the past. I think my major problem has always been getting flippy with the wrists. The "dead wrist/arm" feeling I got last night with @Shankster's advice and the Seve video was a great feel. There were very few missed shots, and even the ones that were missed weren't bad misses.

I think I'm going to practice more using the 54 degree and my 44 degree pitching wedge. During my round Sunday I had to hit to a front pin with an uphill chip from about 10 yards off the green -- I used the pitching wedge so that I could smack the fringe and let the ball roll out. Got it to within three feet.

Thanks, all, for the tips. My inconsistency with chipping (thin skulls over the green) cost me at least two strokes on Sunday, so it's an area that needs definite improvement.

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

I am not suggesting anyone use my tips or ideas, because I am not a teaching pro. I’ve always thought that if I can’t figure it out myself, I might as well stop. That’s why I don’t fly fish, play pool, or surgery.

I do learn very well from watching and reading. I stumbled upon Nick Faldo’s tips last night after trying to find aka better way to explain my (Nicks) method. There on his website, and if you punch in Sir Nicks Tips in the search bar on YouTube you’ll find them. He explains it very simply. Almost exactly how I play it and I’ve never seen those videos before.

If everyone still likes my tidbits I’ll chime in every once and a while, but I do recommend if you are a type of person that works well with coaching to get a lesson. I live in no mans land do lessons are sparse, plus I wouldn’t want them to try and get all technical on me.

lets have a look at that link please from sir Nick.

I played today and mr fatty and mr thinny followed me all the way round on chips🙄 must be doing something else fundamentally wrong

Ive done a ton of chipping the last couple of months.As a youngster I used 7,8, and 9i for most of my chipping. but found myself using more wedges the last couple years.  Mainly my 54 and 58 this last year. Ive recently gone to my 47 and 51 and getting the ball on the turf as quick as possible. Early results ar more pins being scared and a couple of chip in. I also feel like I have more spin control which in turn controls the roll out. 

After the greens heals from being punched I wil start  tracking ny up and downs which will tell me if my change worked. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Without going in to much detail  - mechanics regarding my particular technique I'll just start with this. I've been playing golf a very long time. I've learned a few techniques for chipping that work for me. Nothing secret. Basically just fundamentals. Most of my golf is played on Bermuda grass. In general for chipping (not pitching mind you) I like to play the ball close to the ground and let it roll. I'm more of a "feel" player as opposed to technical. All I do it adjust the ball position, length of stroke, and angle of attack. Most of the time around the green I use a 56* wedge. - sometimes a 52*. I've found these to be most versatile for the way I play. Remember, the idea is to get the ball into or as close to the hole as possible. Doesn't matter how you look or how you do it as long as you find a way. Using any means (legal) available. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour