Jump to content
perseveringgolfer

REALLY good chippers - chip in here pls

Recommended Posts

Hey Kenny. I am not sure whether this mowing technique is legit or not, although I would tend to believe that every course does it their own unique way. But aside from that, in my personal opinion, I don’t love the tip of always landing it 5 feet onto the green. For a scratch golfer (not me) or for someone who can practice regularly, this may prove successful. But to me, this technique would require a lot of confusion over exactly which club to hit to allow you to hit a chip shot 5 feet on that will roll out just far enough, because depending on lie, distance, slope, etc this could be a large number of clubs if your main focus is finding the club that allows you to land it 5 feet on if that makes sense? There are certainly times that this shot is the best play, but often times it may be best to get the ball on the air more and play a soft landing near the hole.

Im not sure what your skill level is, but personally, I would suggest spending some time around the greens practicing a number of shots. From high lofted, to bump and run, to a chip that checks up, etc. This would allow you to have more tools in your arsenal and never get in a situation where landing it 5 feet present an impossible shot or one that could flirt with water, hazard etc.

Chipping is mostly about feel and confidence. Knowing how to hit a variety of shots around the green and land them in a variety of locations in relation to the hole or edge of the green will be certain to lower your score. I took a summer to learn a number of ways to approach shots around the greens and it has paid off immensely! I hope this helps answer your question and isn’t too confusing! Haha good luck this season!




Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero (Fujikara 62g Stiff Shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP63 (stock length & lie)
Wedges: Mizuno Blue T7 (60,56,52 degree)
Location: Lexington, KY
Handicap: 7


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jhigdon13 said:

Hey Kenny. I am not sure whether this mowing technique is legit or not, although I would tend to believe that every course does it their own unique way. But aside from that, in my personal opinion, I don’t love the tip of always landing it 5 feet onto the green. For a scratch golfer (not me) or for someone who can practice regularly, this may prove successful. But to me, this technique would require a lot of confusion over exactly which club to hit to allow you to hit a chip shot 5 feet on that will roll out just far enough, because depending on lie, distance, slope, etc this could be a large number of clubs if your main focus is finding the club that allows you to land it 5 feet on if that makes sense? There are certainly times that this shot is the best play, but often times it may be best to get the ball on the air more and play a soft landing near the hole.

Im not sure what your skill level is, but personally, I would suggest spending some time around the greens practicing a number of shots. From high lofted, to bump and run, to a chip that checks up, etc. This would allow you to have more tools in your arsenal and never get in a situation where landing it 5 feet present an impossible shot or one that could flirt with water, hazard etc.

Chipping is mostly about feel and confidence. Knowing how to hit a variety of shots around the green and land them in a variety of locations in relation to the hole or edge of the green will be certain to lower your score. I took a summer to learn a number of ways to approach shots around the greens and it has paid off immensely! I hope this helps answer your question and isn’t too confusing! Haha good luck this season!




Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero (Fujikara 62g Stiff Shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP63 (stock length & lie)
Wedges: Mizuno Blue T7 (60,56,52 degree)
Location: Lexington, KY
Handicap: 7


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say I use that shot; in fact I don't.  That was what a pro told me.  The idea was that a player should always try to land a ball in about the same place, and know what different clubs will give different amounts of Fly vs Roll.  That is, how far is it to land the ball in that zone, and how far will a ball roll when it lands?  Clearly, it depends on a lot of factors that you mentioned, and a player needs to understand and practice shots with multiple clubs.  It's one way to chip, and I'm not talking pitch shots.  

I tried that method with lousy results.  I am a much better chipper when I use one or two clubs.  I know how the ball comes off those clubs and how far they roll.  I can vary my stroke trajectory to give me the amount of carry and roll I need.  I find it much easier to chip this way, rather than the multiple club approach. 

I was just curious if anyone had heard of the mowing of the green being a factor in where to land chip shots, and whether of not it's worthwhile to consider.  Personally, I don't use that part of the green when chipping unless the pin is relatively close.

EDIT:  As far as the mowing technique, I am only familiar with the riding greens mowers.  They are all the same here.  The greens are mowed back and forth, but the last pass is always around the perimeter to catch the edge of the green that can't be reached by the back and forth passes.  I'm sure it's different with the walk-behind mowers on the PGA Tour and fancy courses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I didn't say I use that shot; in fact I don't.  That was what a pro told me.  The idea was that a player should always try to land a ball in about the same place, and know what different clubs will give different amounts of Fly vs Roll.  That is, how far is it to land the ball in that zone, and how far will a ball roll when it lands?  Clearly, it depends on a lot of factors that you mentioned, and a player needs to understand and practice shots with multiple clubs.  It's one way to chip, and I'm not talking pitch shots.  
I tried that method with lousy results.  I am a much better chipper when I use one or two clubs.  I know how the ball comes off those clubs and how far they roll.  I can vary my stroke trajectory to give me the amount of carry and roll I need.  I find it much easier to chip this way, rather than the multiple club approach. 
I was just curious if anyone had heard of the mowing of the green being a factor in where to land chip shots, and whether of not it's worthwhile to consider.  Personally, I don't use that part of the green when chipping unless the pin is relatively close.
EDIT:  As far as the mowing technique, I am only familiar with the riding greens mowers.  They are all the same here.  The greens are mowed back and forth, but the last pass is always around the perimeter to catch the edge of the green that can't be reached by the back and forth passes.  I'm sure it's different with the walk-behind mowers on the PGA Tour and fancy courses.


Ah ok. I thought you were wanting to know whether or not to use this technique. Haha but yeah that mowing technique makes sense to me and is probably true. I worked at courses for 5+ years and sadly never noticed that! I know pros always take into account whether a putt is down grain or not so I can see this being a thing on chips shots.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not suggesting anyone use my tips or ideas, because I am not a teaching pro. I’ve always thought that if I can’t figure it out myself, I might as well stop. That’s why I don’t fly fish, play pool, or surgery.

I do learn very well from watching and reading. I stumbled upon Nick Faldo’s tips last night after trying to find aka better way to explain my (Nicks) method. There on his website, and if you punch in Sir Nicks Tips in the search bar on YouTube you’ll find them. He explains it very simply. Almost exactly how I play it and I’ve never seen those videos before.

If everyone still likes my tidbits I’ll chime in every once and a while, but I do recommend if you are a type of person that works well with coaching to get a lesson. I live in no mans land do lessons are sparse, plus I wouldn’t want them to try and get all technical on me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I am a much better chipper when I use one or two clubs.  I know how the ball comes off those clubs and how far they roll.  I can vary my stroke trajectory to give me the amount of carry and roll I need.  I find it much easier to chip this way, rather than the multiple club approach. 

That's typically where I've been in the past. I think my major problem has always been getting flippy with the wrists. The "dead wrist/arm" feeling I got last night with @Shankster's advice and the Seve video was a great feel. There were very few missed shots, and even the ones that were missed weren't bad misses.

I think I'm going to practice more using the 54 degree and my 44 degree pitching wedge. During my round Sunday I had to hit to a front pin with an uphill chip from about 10 yards off the green -- I used the pitching wedge so that I could smack the fringe and let the ball roll out. Got it to within three feet.

Thanks, all, for the tips. My inconsistency with chipping (thin skulls over the green) cost me at least two strokes on Sunday, so it's an area that needs definite improvement.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shankster said:

I am not suggesting anyone use my tips or ideas, because I am not a teaching pro. I’ve always thought that if I can’t figure it out myself, I might as well stop. That’s why I don’t fly fish, play pool, or surgery.

I do learn very well from watching and reading. I stumbled upon Nick Faldo’s tips last night after trying to find aka better way to explain my (Nicks) method. There on his website, and if you punch in Sir Nicks Tips in the search bar on YouTube you’ll find them. He explains it very simply. Almost exactly how I play it and I’ve never seen those videos before.

If everyone still likes my tidbits I’ll chime in every once and a while, but I do recommend if you are a type of person that works well with coaching to get a lesson. I live in no mans land do lessons are sparse, plus I wouldn’t want them to try and get all technical on me.

lets have a look at that link please from sir Nick.

I played today and mr fatty and mr thinny followed me all the way round on chips🙄 must be doing something else fundamentally wrong

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lets have a look at that link please from sir Nick.

I played today and mr fatty and mr thinny followed me all the way round on chips must be doing something else fundamentally wrong

 

Here you go sir!

 

https://nickfaldo.com/nicks-tips

 

https://www.youtube.com/user/sirnickstips

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

oh, sorry it worked on the webpage.

Edited by Shankster
Double Up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive done a ton of chipping the last couple of months.As a youngster I used 7,8, and 9i for most of my chipping. but found myself using more wedges the last couple years.  Mainly my 54 and 58 this last year. Ive recently gone to my 47 and 51 and getting the ball on the turf as quick as possible. Early results ar more pins being scared and a couple of chip in. I also feel like I have more spin control which in turn controls the roll out. 

After the greens heals from being punched I wil start  tracking ny up and downs which will tell me if my change worked. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without going in to much detail  - mechanics regarding my particular technique I'll just start with this. I've been playing golf a very long time. I've learned a few techniques for chipping that work for me. Nothing secret. Basically just fundamentals. Most of my golf is played on Bermuda grass. In general for chipping (not pitching mind you) I like to play the ball close to the ground and let it roll. I'm more of a "feel" player as opposed to technical. All I do it adjust the ball position, length of stroke, and angle of attack. Most of the time around the green I use a 56* wedge. - sometimes a 52*. I've found these to be most versatile for the way I play. Remember, the idea is to get the ball into or as close to the hole as possible. Doesn't matter how you look or how you do it as long as you find a way. Using any means (legal) available. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shankster said:

I am not suggesting anyone use my tips or ideas, because I am not a teaching pro. I’ve always thought that if I can’t figure it out myself, I might as well stop. That’s why I don’t fly fish, play pool, or surgery.

I do learn very well from watching and reading. I stumbled upon Nick Faldo’s tips last night after trying to find aka better way to explain my (Nicks) method. There on his website, and if you punch in Sir Nicks Tips in the search bar on YouTube you’ll find them. He explains it very simply. Almost exactly how I play it and I’ve never seen those videos before.

If everyone still likes my tidbits I’ll chime in every once and a while, but I do recommend if you are a type of person that works well with coaching to get a lesson. I live in no mans land do lessons are sparse, plus I wouldn’t want them to try and get all technical on me.

Sir Nick's pitching techniques are basically what I do for pitching.  I have been referring more to chipping rather than pitching; keeping clubhead in front of body not releasing it. 

There are a LOT of videos about chipping and pitching on YouTube.  I've given up on watching them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The simple way to chip is to use PW or 9iron and just pretend you are putting it. The idea is to keep the ball close to the ground and let it roll. You could also use 7 or 8 as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

The simple way to chip is to use PW or 9iron and just pretend you are putting it. The idea is to keep the ball close to the ground and let it roll. You could also use 7 or 8 as well. 

that still doesnt eliminate thins and fats

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, I'm cured!

The Faldo method was perfect. Upper arms into body and rotate. Worked for 54* to 8 iron, got up and down 7 times today.

No thins or fats.

Thanks @Shankster ....yet again👏

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Right, I'm cured!
The Faldo method was perfect. Upper arms into body and rotate. Worked for 54* to 8 iron, got up and down 7 times today.
No thins or fats.
Thanks [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention] ....yet again

No problem.


My favorite thing he says is to emulate your favorite pro. So by the time I’m done with golf I’ll have a really weird swing.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

The Faldo method was perfect.

Slightly off-topic, but related to Sir Nick and pitching (not chipping as in the OP) - he'd made a very useful comment on GC I happened to catch...

"Butts to Buttons"

What he meant was in pitching focus on first turning back so your butt faces the target, then focus on following through so your shirt buttons are facing the target on the finish.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only for a good read. The Shark’s tips are fun too. I don’t really use them, but it’s cool to read about how the best players in the game thought about stuff before technology.

http://www.shark.com/the-shark/golf-tips/

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

that still doesnt eliminate thins and fats

Actually,  it will help. Because there is a lot of bounce on the bottom of the PW or 9i. Since you aren’t trying to hit the ball in the air, there is no reason to ever try to hit hit down on the ball, so that eliminates the fat shot. You can hit it thin, but again because you are trying to get the ball rolling quickly, the idea is not to bottom the club on the ground anyway. Putt the ball with your 9 iron. Stand closer to the ball with the shaft more upright. The heel of the club will slightly be off the ground, (think Stricker putting), and putt the ball it will pop in the air a few inches and then roll. Then it’s just about distance control. That will essentially eliminate both the fat and the thin shot. It is a very simple chip shot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shankster said:

If only for a good read. The Shark’s tips are fun too. I don’t really use them, but it’s cool to read about how the best players in the game thought about stuff before technology.

http://www.shark.com/the-shark/golf-tips/

Interesting that you follow up Nick Faldo tips with Greg Norman tips.  🤣  I pick Nick.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Interesting that you follow up Nick Faldo tips with Greg Norman tips.  🤣  I pick Nick.


True. So would I, just a fun read.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...