TESTERS WANTED! ×

REALLY good chippers - chip in here pls

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

I am not suggesting anyone use my tips or ideas, because I am not a teaching pro. I’ve always thought that if I can’t figure it out myself, I might as well stop. That’s why I don’t fly fish, play pool, or surgery.

I do learn very well from watching and reading. I stumbled upon Nick Faldo’s tips last night after trying to find aka better way to explain my (Nicks) method. There on his website, and if you punch in Sir Nicks Tips in the search bar on YouTube you’ll find them. He explains it very simply. Almost exactly how I play it and I’ve never seen those videos before.

If everyone still likes my tidbits I’ll chime in every once and a while, but I do recommend if you are a type of person that works well with coaching to get a lesson. I live in no mans land do lessons are sparse, plus I wouldn’t want them to try and get all technical on me.

Sir Nick's pitching techniques are basically what I do for pitching.  I have been referring more to chipping rather than pitching; keeping clubhead in front of body not releasing it. 

There are a LOT of videos about chipping and pitching on YouTube.  I've given up on watching them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

The simple way to chip is to use PW or 9iron and just pretend you are putting it. The idea is to keep the ball close to the ground and let it roll. You could also use 7 or 8 as well. 

that still doesnt eliminate thins and fats

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Right, I'm cured!

The Faldo method was perfect. Upper arms into body and rotate. Worked for 54* to 8 iron, got up and down 7 times today.

No thins or fats.

Thanks @Shankster ....yet again👏

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Right, I'm cured!
The Faldo method was perfect. Upper arms into body and rotate. Worked for 54* to 8 iron, got up and down 7 times today.
No thins or fats.
Thanks [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention] ....yet again

No problem.

My favorite thing he says is to emulate your favorite pro. So by the time I’m done with golf I’ll have a really weird swing.

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

The Faldo method was perfect.

Slightly off-topic, but related to Sir Nick and pitching (not chipping as in the OP) - he'd made a very useful comment on GC I happened to catch...

"Butts to Buttons"

What he meant was in pitching focus on first turning back so your butt faces the target, then focus on following through so your shirt buttons are facing the target on the finish.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

14 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

that still doesnt eliminate thins and fats

Actually,  it will help. Because there is a lot of bounce on the bottom of the PW or 9i. Since you aren’t trying to hit the ball in the air, there is no reason to ever try to hit hit down on the ball, so that eliminates the fat shot. You can hit it thin, but again because you are trying to get the ball rolling quickly, the idea is not to bottom the club on the ground anyway. Putt the ball with your 9 iron. Stand closer to the ball with the shaft more upright. The heel of the club will slightly be off the ground, (think Stricker putting), and putt the ball it will pop in the air a few inches and then roll. Then it’s just about distance control. That will essentially eliminate both the fat and the thin shot. It is a very simple chip shot. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

6 hours ago, Shankster said:

If only for a good read. The Shark’s tips are fun too. I don’t really use them, but it’s cool to read about how the best players in the game thought about stuff before technology.

http://www.shark.com/the-shark/golf-tips/

Interesting that you follow up Nick Faldo tips with Greg Norman tips.  🤣  I pick Nick.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for all the thoughts in this thread! I had gotten away from some of the fundamentals and focused on some of these thoughts yesterday (ball back in stance, shaft forward, weight more forward) and had one of my best chipping days in a long, long time. I holed out a chip for par and was close enough on a lot of others that I ended up with 12 putts over 9 holes.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I really wanted to get better with my short game and ended up buying a book called "Your short game Solution" it was written by James Sieckmann. I would highly suggest that book. It takes some commitment but in my opinion it is a tour level routine. I never made a book/journal like it suggest but I did go out while I was hitting it really well and made myself a yardage book and noted my carry distances for 1/4 swings, 1/2 swings and 3/4 swings with LW, SW, GW, PW and 9-iron. Now I have that book to fall back on when I haven't practiced in a while. If I'm playing regularly I hit more off feel. If i'm not confident in a shot I default to my "known" yardages. 

That book has made a phenomenal difference for me. The techniques and swing thoughts are great. 

Driver: Taylormade M3 440cc 9* 45.25" Diamana D+ 70 x-flex

3w - Taylormade RBZ stage 2 tour 14.5* Fujikura 70 s-flex std length

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 850 s-flex std length. 

Irons: Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 4-PW. Project X 6.5 flighted shafts ⅜" gapping. 39.25" 5 iron 2* upright

Wedges- Titlist Vokey SM6 51*, 55*, 59* 2* upright

Putter - Machine M10 adjuster, no sight line. 35.5"

On 4/3/2019 at 9:49 PM, Stephen1125 said:

I really wanted to get better with my short game and ended up buying a book called "Your short game Solution" it was written by James Sieckmann.

Good suggestion - great book. Or so I've also heard from others - I have a copy, but ... quite stupidly have not yet gone through it... Now I will!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 5:40 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

Right, I'm cured!

No thins or fats.

Thanks @Shankster ....yet again👏

Thought I would update on todays game and gameplay.

My Long game is now at a very good consistent level. Confident over drives and fairway woods, very confident over irons up to an 8 iron.

Pitching- appalling 🙄

chipping- shocking....again😮🙄

Drive and a 4 iron greenside on a 513yd par 5 (breeze with us).......then a chunk, a thin over the side, poor chip on to 15 feet, 2 putts. A SEVEN after 2 outstanding long shots.

Drive and a 4 wood to 60yds on a 549yd par 5 (breeze against us)....pitch missed the green, chip thinned to the back, 2 putts. A 6 after 2 great long shots.

It must be in my head. If I could pitch and chip I'd be dangerous.

Think I'll video it and see if it's obvious why I'm cr@p.

Thought I would update on todays game and gameplay.
My Long game is now at a very good consistent level. Confident over drives and fairway woods, very confident over irons up to an 8 iron.
Pitching- appalling 
chipping- shocking....again
Drive and a 4 iron greenside on a 513yd par 5 (breeze with us).......then a chunk, a thin over the side, poor chip on to 15 feet, 2 putts. A SEVEN after 2 outstanding long shots.
Drive and a 4 wood to 60yds on a 549yd par 5 (breeze against us)....pitch missed the green, chip thinned to the back, 2 putts. A 6 after 2 great long shots.
It must be in my head. If I could pitch and chip I'd be dangerous.
Think I'll video it and see if it's obvious why I'm cr@p.

I am in the same boat as you, very frustrating when your short game isn’t working. Mine is getting better but still have bad spells. Yesterday I missed a green by about 15 yards, 2 chunks and a decent chip later i walk away with a triple. Other holes my pitch/chip shots were on point.

Just have to keep working and hope you move forward.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Rule 1.  Bring clubs with you so you have options.   You don't want to get up there with your wedge and then realize a lower shot would be better suited.  

Rule 2.  Limit your options to 2 or maybe 3 clubs.  Nothing hurts chipping more than indecision.  Once you commit to the kind of shot you want to hit, pick that 1 club.  

For Lower chips:   I personally don't go for anything lower than a PW for running shots, but generally use a sandwedge for most bump and runs, played further back in my stance.  Typically lean forward with the weight on my front foot, set my hands with a bit of a forward press, then lock them in place.  Let the shoulders and arms do all the work and hit the ball on shallow decending blow. club typically square or slightly closed.

For High Chips:  Typically use SW for shots that need to carry 40-60% of the distance, and LW for shots that need to carry more than 60%.  again, weight on front foot, but ball more in center or front of stance,  focuse on hitting the ball at the bottom of the swing and not on the way back up. typically open up the club 5-10 degrees, andkeep the wrists locked so that the arms and shoulders are doing the work.

One of the biggest issues I see is people that scoop the ball/rotate their wrists.  One thing that helped me out tremendously, especially when under pressure, was having jumbo grips as they take the wrists out of the swing.  I experimented with 1 wedge, and eventually got the jumbo grips on all my clubs.

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

If you haven't had a chance yet, get on Phil's Instagram and watch his videos. I was pretty solid around the greens, but since watching his videos I can say that I have probably improved my chances of getting up and down 10% which 1 more out of ten missed greens is huge. His advice is so simple and very fundamental based. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Read "your short game solution" by James sieckmann. Clearly breaks up techniques, troubleshooting, and Drills. Provides practice plans and games. 

Distance mapping and practice plans are two of the biggest benefits. Spend a few weeks or months doing short game practice instead of hitting a bucket off mats at the range. You need to define some 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 swing yardage with all wedges and get reps in to be confident and learn the rollout of all those shots with each Wedge. 

Edited by BMart519

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 11:32 AM, jayjay0808 said:

If you haven't had a chance yet, get on Phil's Instagram and watch his videos. I was pretty solid around the greens, but since watching his videos I can say that I have probably improved my chances of getting up and down 10% which 1 more out of ten missed greens is huge. His advice is so simple and very fundamental based. 

Phil is charismatic, but I don't think he explains his method very well.  Even something as basic as whether the hinge is horizontal or vertical.  I googled Phil's hinge and hold and found an equal number of videos (including the Golf Channel) that say its a vertical wrist cock as those that show it as a horizontal wrist hinge (cupping).  Good for chit.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I really wanted to get better with my short game and ended up buying a book called "Your short game Solution" it was written by James Sieckmann. I would highly suggest that book. It takes some commitment but in my opinion it is a tour level routine. I never made a book/journal like it suggest but I did go out while I was hitting it really well and made myself a yardage book and noted my carry distances for 1/4 swings, 1/2 swings and 3/4 swings with LW, SW, GW, PW and 9-iron. Now I have that book to fall back on when I haven't practiced in a while. If I'm playing regularly I hit more off feel. If i'm not confident in a shot I default to my "known" yardages. 
That book has made a phenomenal difference for me. The techniques and swing thoughts are great. 
I also recommend this book! Changed my game for the better.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk