TESTERS WANTED! ×

Great Feel vs. Real illustration

So this past week, Peter Finch posted this clip of Justin Rose giving some swing instruction:

So Justin Rose talks about the need to keep the body rotating through impact, and gives the advice of having your right ear turned to the ground at impact. He demonstrates what he's talking about, and makes a great strike.

But someone stopped the video at impact:

Rose isn't doing what he says he's doing. The point here (I hope this is obvious) isn't to criticize Rose. He's a brilliant golfer.

When we say that feel isn't real, it's often meant as a criticism of feel. But there's another side to it. Sometimes, we can intentionally try to create a certain feel that improves our game, even if the thing we feel is happening isn't real.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So this past week, Peter Finch posted this clip of Justin Rose giving some swing instruction:

So Justin Rose talks about the need to keep the body rotating through impact, and gives the advice of having your right ear turned to the ground at impact. He demonstrates what he's talking about, and makes a great strike.

Rose isn't doing what he says he's doing. The point here (I hope this is obvious) isn't to criticize Rose. He's a brilliant golfer.

When we say that feel isn't real, it's often meant as a criticism of feel. But there's another side to it. Sometimes, we can intentionally try to create a certain feel that improves our game, even if the thing we feel is happening isn't real.

I have always felt that "feel" is meant to create an over exaggerated body position or swing thought to fix a "real" fault in the swing.  

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

12 minutes ago, palvord said:

I have always felt that "feel" is meant to create an over exaggerated body position or swing thought to fix a "real" fault in the swing.  

Yeah, it can definitely go that way: we're agreeing on that one. But I know I often think of feel vs. real as being a matter of thinking that I'm doing something good in my swing that cameras/swing analyzers/launch monitor reveal that I'm not actually doing correctly.

It definitely works both ways.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Yeah, it can definitely go that way: we're agreeing on that one. But I know I often think of feel vs. real as being a matter of thinking that I'm doing something good in my swing that cameras/swing analyzers/launch monitor reveal that I'm not actually doing correctly.

It definitely works both ways.

For sure, this is the area that I struggle with as well.  I may feel that I am doing something in a proper or over exaggerated manner, but my video feedback, or launch monitor stats don't match up with the "feel".

I struggled with this very thing yesterday at the range, as I was hitting the majority of my shots on the heel of the club.  I felt like I was adjusting my swing accordingly, but the results kept proving to be heel strikes.

I must have been feeling the wrong thing to fix the swing flaw.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

There was another video from his Instagram a month or two ago where he was doing a clinic and talking about what he tries to feel vs. what he actually does. I think he's well aware, but the feeling to get there always has to be exaggerated because our bodies just don't work that way at full speed. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I thought he said that his ear pointing to the ground is what he is trying to avoid. He said if his head is moving the club will never turn over. On the strike his head was still and eyes to the ground with his body turning not his head. Did I not hear him correctly? 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Ok. I Listened again, his thought is that in keeping his body moving, and allowing his head to follow his body rotation, he can’t turn the club head over. The clubhead turns over when the body stops rotation and the hands keep going. 

So he over exaggerates the movement in his practice so it becomes “ingrained” in his mind, and eventually becomes a normal part of his swing

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Rose doesn't explain this position at impact properly. Certainly not what he thinks is happening. I tried to stop the vid where his clubhead is at the ball a millisecond before impact but couldn't. But if Rose has his right ear pointing down like he is explaining then his face has to looking down the line. It's not what he "feels" as the shot was probably a good one and felt good. It's what he "thinks" he's doing. Probably a good swing thought but actually his ear is probably pointing more at this right foot. Which makes sense. Stand up right now and emulate Rose's swing thought slowly and see where your face is looking if your ear is facing the ground and at the ball. Your eyes will have to be cut sharply back towards the ball. Now do it again with your eye on the ball. Your ear will be pointing more toward your right foot or slightly behind it. Rose is simply overly exaggerating a swing thought in his explanation.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

On 3/25/2019 at 11:05 AM, palvord said:

Golf Channel was showing Molinari warming up this morning and he had a very exaggerated squat/post move during practice swings. Presumably this was a feel move that was nowhere near real, but was intended as some sort of trigger. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Alex Noren has a FEEL move that relates to his swing but the reality over the practice move differs.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"