Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Lets Bring it Back!

JohnBarry

Lets Bring it Back!

It didn't take long for me to decide to change. First, I am a very young 41, golfing for 15 years, not serious, but always trying to improve.

I found some pictures of my grandfather, club champ, 3 years in a row in the late 60s and early 70s at Bow Creek in Virginia Beach. He has since passed away, but we (our family) were looking at some old pictures a few months ago, a lot of him golfing, and it hit me. What's old is new, and trends come around.

His golf outfits were great, the old 70s look, Bushwood, Caddy Shack and Rodney Dangerfield all came to mind. Now we have Loud Mouth Golf, SubSeventy Golf and a few others bring the fad back.

I have been hitting Ebay, a few Thrift Stores, searching for pants, and I can tell you, they are either hard to find, or super expensive at the Vintage Clothing Stores.

I am changing my whole golf wardrobe over, I plan to bring the 70s back, and promise at the first tee of every round this summer to say "This round's for you Ted Knight, and I never Slice." Which of course I do all the time!

My link

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I am in. Daly's pants on tour are great. I am putting together a retro club tournament this summer with required old clubs and either mulligans or strokes awarded for retro clothing.

Dry fit fabric is nice to play in though. Some of that old polyester would be death on a 105* day in Sacramento

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm not a big fan of the loud colors that Daily wears, but I'm all for bring back the classic looks... How about the Payne Stewart look, That's always been fun...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

I'm not a big fan of the loud colors that Daily wears, but I'm all for bring back the classic looks... How about the Payne Stewart look, That's always been fun...

Knickers, high socks, vest, and a snazzy hat, sounds good.

I really want to buy knit headcovers this season. Maybe I can get some that match the clothing.

On tour, I just like to see something different. Poulter probably does it best IMHO. Sometimes subtle, sometimes not so much. Always stylin'.

Volvo Intorqueo

Trousers number 2 get my vote also. Although the hypnotic effect of the colors on the guys you play with may be worth a couple of strokes.

Both of those I posted are from Loudmouth Golf, but the second pair is actually pretty easy on the eyes. They have a few pairs of pants that actually aren't too bad, but there are some on their site that I wouldn't be caught dead in!

Daly

Poulter (although Poulter's argyle would likely be pink)

I like the style of some of the younger guys like Poulter, classic looks and youthful style... a splash of color, or a wave, whatever, seems to go a long way...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I like the style of some of the younger guys like Poulter, classic looks and youthful style... a splash of color, or a wave, whatever, seems to go a long way...

Poulter actually has some pretty good designs on his site. I have been tempted to pick up some of the trousers that he designs, but the price is a little high. The Loudmouth designs are a little pricey as well though.

As for the pink pants that Poulter would rock....I would probably sport a pair of pink tartans on the course.

• SPY VIP

Poulter actually has some pretty good designs on his site. I have been tempted to pick up some of the trousers that he designs, but the price is a little high. The Loudmouth designs are a little pricey as well though.

As for the pink pants that Poulter would rock....I would probably sport a pair of pink tartans on the course.

Tartan knickers with matching hat and you would be the man. Me, maybe the hat.

Volvo Intorqueo

I am waiting for someone to rock a kilt on tour. Maybe Paddy???

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I am waiting for someone to rock a kilt on tour. Maybe Paddy???

That would be interesting! I could borrow one from our local high school band as they rock kilts. It would definitely be a shock to see that on tour.

I am in. Daly's pants on tour are great. I am putting together a retro club tournament this summer with required old clubs and either mulligans or strokes awarded for retro clothing.

Dry fit fabric is nice to play in though. Some of that old polyester would be death on a 105* day in Sacramento

I love that idea, on our golf trip to Myrtle, we are having the "Worst Dress Golfer Day" that figures into our "King of Myrtle Beach" trophy.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

JC Penny has the Payne Stewart clothing line. Not sure if it includes the knickers though.

Really, what's it look like, never seen it before?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I promise, as soon as it stops snowing and raining, I am going to post some old/new outfits I have pieced together. Nothing like Loud Mouth, I think the 70s look was very different. I would love to see those old styles updated with new fits and breathable materials.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Only thing holding me back is I am not all that flamboyant and dont like the attention some of this outifts would bring but the Poulter look is awesome!!!!!! If iwas skinnier to i would also think more about this style!!!!!!!!

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

Only thing holding me back is I am not all that flamboyant and dont like the attention some of this outifts would bring but the Poulter look is awesome!!!!!! If iwas skinnier to i would also think more about this style!!!!!!!!

Have no fear, start a trend, don't follow one, be unique..that's what my Father would always tell me growing up, now I try to make regret those words when we play golf!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I promise, as soon as it stops snowing and raining, I am going to post some old/new outfits I have pieced together. Nothing like Loud Mouth, I think the 70s look was very different. I would love to see those old styles updated with new fits and breathable materials.

Looking forward to this a bunch. :unsure:

Volvo Intorqueo

You guys are brave. I'd need to drop my handicap into the single digits before going with tartan pants on the munis I play on.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

You guys are brave. I'd need to drop my handicap into the single digits before going with tartan pants on the munis I play on.

No more shocking than the guy in jeans and jean jacket in front of us today. Tried to snap a photo, but my ninjitsu was weak.

Guess who was the only person to hit a ball into me (from their fairway) without a "Fore"

Redneck Tuxedo does not bring manners, i guess.

Volvo Intorqueo

I wouldn't really call it brave, just secure I guess. I don't care what other people think, I like the idea, the trend, loved caddy Shack (telling a Caddy Shack Joke in the outfit always breaks the ice with other people). Look at all the big Apparel Golf Companies, they are all moving towards plaids for the Summer and Fall. Get out in front of the trend, not behind it!!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Archived