Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Men's League - Tournament Golf (Follow Along)

Hey everyone!

I recently joined a local men's league where we'll play tournament style golf every 2 weeks or so. Pretty nervous given I'm a higher handicapper and haven't played in this type of setting before. I've played in a work league on a short executive course but was more casual. I chose to signed up for this men's league to get out more, meet some fellow golfers, and continue to improve my game. 

I was looking for some advice on best ways to approach it and any tips. Appreciate it!

:taylormade-small: M2 Driver 

:taylormade-small: M2 3 Wood or  :ping-small: G410 7 Wood

:taylormade-small: 3 Hybrid or :ping-small: G Crossover 3i
:ping-small:  G410 5i-GW (White Dot, Stiff)  
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth (54, 58) and sometimes will add a :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (62)

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser 
:918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Range Finder 

I was in your position a couple of years ago. Wanted to do something competitive and got invited to join a local golf league. While it is a lot of fun, it took me way too long to adjust because I put too much pressure on myself to shoot low scores. That's probably the biggest thing to remember going in. I'm assuming it's a full handicap league, so your handicap should take care of leveling the field. So my best advice is just to relax and have fun (that's why we play golf anyway right?) and let the adjustments from your handicap take care of your scoring.

Another big thing to remember is to manage expectations. Most people forget that the simple math to calculating your handicap is around 85% of your average strokes above par. So your 22 should mean you typically shoot somewhere around 100. So the net score for your average round should be more like 78 than 72. It's the days you shoot 'on your number' or better where you'll wind up in the money near the top of the leader boards.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Relax, have fun with it, keep your expectations realistic, make new friends(and probably an enemy or 2), but above all, have fun with it.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9.0*    3-Wd: Taylormade M1-3HL    Hybrid: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 - 18*    Irons: Callaway Apex CF-19 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 50, 56, 58    Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider    Ball : Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

Relax and don't worry about being a higher handicap player.  The only one that will put pressure on your game is you.  Play your own game and have fun...men's leagues are typically more about enjoyment than cut-throat gamesmanship.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

We'll all tell you to relax and just enjoy it, but I can understand that is easier said than done. I joined a men's league last year and it was pretty eye opening, or maybe I should say humbling. I played some of the worst golf of my life and it only got worse as the year went on. But because it was so bad for me, I didn't finish it out the season. Most of the guys were really nice and tried to encourage me, but there's always that one. Anyway, I was suffering from the shanks last year and that had a ton to do with the way I was playing. Long story short (or not), I decided to give it a try again this year and have 2 second place finishes thru 2 tournaments. The league I'm in does 1 tournament a month with some of them being individual and some being 2-man teams.
Use your handicap to your advantage, know the course (especially the greens) and where you can score, and play wise (to your strengths). It might not click the first couple tournaments, but hang in there. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Good advice above. I would just add, Focus on what you do well. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Most leagues use your handicap to some extent. That being said enjoy it as most golfers are good guys and just as nervous.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Lets face it, bad shots happen.  Being a high capper, we've been there before and we sure know how to hit out of some tough spots.  Use that to your advantage to remind everyone that golf is fun.  You'll be nervous on that first tee, we all have been.  But at the end of the day, it's just you and the course.  You play it and no one else.  They are just there to talk to.  You'll be great, enjoy the walk or the ride and find that one good shot! @ZJBogey2

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Two years ago, I played in my first league and it was a miserable experience. All because of me. My expectations were way higher than they had any business being. I forgot that playing golf was supposed to be fun first as I’m not any good at it.

Last year I had a much better experience as I was able to change my expectations and enjoy the camaraderie. Funny enough, I played better golf when I changed my perspective and expectations.

It was harder said than done though. We are always our own worst critics. All of this is to say, define what a successful league season looks like for you. Are you there to meet as many people as possible or to win as much money as you can or somewhere in between. The correct expectations and goals go a long way to having an enjoyable time.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I was in a league 4-5 years ago, and stepped onto the first and started getting the normal bad time.. Mind you I had played in the league for a couple of years.. and proceeded to top the ball. It hit the ground 6" in front of my tee and spun backward 10 feet.. Embarrassed does not even put it into context. Now I'm hitting 2 from even further away.. My mind was racing, just put it in play, do not F this up.. Launched a beauty, play the rest of the round to 3-4 below my handicap.. but I got my nervous energy out on the 1st tee, What i did from there was not going to be as bad as my 1st tee shot.. and I just played golf with some great guys and had a good day.. 

Just go play golf and let the game be what it is.. you'll get comfortable and enjoy it.. 

Edited by Reesedw

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Hey everyone!
I recently joined a local men's league where we'll play tournament style golf every 2 weeks or so. Pretty nervous given I'm a higher handicapper and haven't played in this type of setting before. I've played in a work league on a short executive course but was more casual. I chose to signed up for this men's league to get out more, meet some fellow golfers, and continue to improve my game. 
I was looking for some advice on best ways to approach it and any tips. Appreciate it!

I was in that same situation 3 years ago. My game was pretty decent when I played alone or with someone I knew well - but a disaster in league. We had a club championship that same summer and I came in last. A bit embarrassing when you see your name on the bottom of the leaderboard (for everyone to see). Vowed now to let that happen again. Yes a part of it was my game BUT a bigger part was my head. Did a lot of reading over the winter on the "head" part of the game. And in early spring (before the course opened) I would chip 50+ times a day for a month.

The following year everyone had commented on how my game had improved. And while I didn't end up at the top of the leaderboard for the club championship I had made a significant improvement (leap) on the leaderboard.

So my advice: practice, practice , practice - that will drive a higher confidence level. Also read up on overcoming the mental challenges of golf. A good starting point is "Be a Player" by Marriott and Nilsson. Lastly play in as many competitive events as you can - that will drive a higher comfort level.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Take advantage of playing with lower handicap players.  Watch and observe how they handle shots, when they take risks and when they back off.  Take note of how they chip, how they read the break of a green.  You can learn a lot by seeing how better players play.  I love playing with low digit handicappers.  I watch their setups, their decision skills, their swing, and their methods.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

Thanks for all the advice everyone! A lot of good stuff and much appreciated. 

I think my biggest challenge is going to be turning off the competitor in me (former college athlete) and just relaxing and having fun instead of putting unneeded pressure on myself. I dont have any expectations to win or place but I'll have to turn my mind off and not stress. 

First event 4/6, cant wait!

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth (54, 58) and sometimes will add a :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (62)

On 3/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, ZJBogey2 said:

Hey everyone!

Thanks for posting this - I'm also a high handicapper and have been considering looking for a suitable League for pretty much the same reasons. Gonna follow this thread .. keep us updated on your impressions, progress, etc.!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Thanks for posting this - I'm also a high handicapper and have been considering looking for a suitable League for pretty much the same reasons. Gonna follow this thread .. keep us updated on your impressions, progress, etc.!

Go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, the first event is in the books! My goals for the day were to have fun and to just not have the highest score (74 or so guys in the event). It was the opening tournament, a 4 man best 2 ball format, playing from the forward tees to just make it a fun and interesting day.

It was a beautiful Saturday morning with no wind and a few clouds in the sky. You couldnt have asked for a better April day in CO. Got to the course early to check in, have a bite to eat, and hit some range balls. I was really feeling great and didnt think my nerves were too high....

Until playing golf actually started. I played my worst round in the past 3 years and shot a 115...just two days before I played the course and shot a 94. I didnt feel that I was overly nervous but I couldnt hit a fairway off the tee. When I did hit a fairway and placed the ball where I wanted, I couldnt hit an approach shot. Playing from the forward tees got me too, I wasnt use to the normal course management and was in my head too much about what to hit. Around the green and putting was meh as well. The low and high of the day came after a 10 (+6) on the 10th but then rebounded and followed that up with 2 straight pars. 

The guys in my group were great and encouraging. Was great getting to know each of their unique stories. I was surprised one of them even exchanged numbers with me after the round to play in the future. I look forward to meeting more folks as the summer goes on.

Despite the discouraging start, already signed up for the next event and ready to improve. 

Alright, the first event is in the books! My goals for the day were to have fun and to just not have the highest score (74 or so guys in the event). It was the opening tournament, a 4 man best 2 ball format, playing from the forward tees to just make it a fun and interesting day.
It was a beautiful Saturday morning with no wind and a few clouds in the sky. You couldnt have asked for a better April day in CO. Got to the course early to check in, have a bite to eat, and hit some range balls. I was really feeling great and didnt think my nerves were too high....
Until playing golf actually started. I played my worst round in the past 3 years and shot a 115...just two days before I played the course and shot a 94. I didnt feel that I was overly nervous but I couldnt hit a fairway off the tee. When I did hit a fairway and placed the ball where I wanted, I couldnt hit an approach shot. Playing from the forward tees got me too, I wasnt use to the normal course management and was in my head too much about what to hit. Around the green and putting was meh as well. The low and high of the day came after a 10 (+6) on the 10th but then rebounded and followed that up with 2 straight pars. 
The guys in my group were great and encouraging. Was great getting to know each of their unique stories. I was surprised one of them even exchanged numbers with me after the round to play in the future. I look forward to meeting more folks as the summer goes on.
Despite the discouraging start, already signed up for the next event and ready to improve. 

Trust me we've all been there. A good book for the "head" part of the game is "Be a Player".

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• ZJBogey2 changed the title to Men's League - Tournament Golf (Follow Along)

Second men’s league event of the year was Saturday...another 4man/2 best ball format to get to know other members and knock of the winter rust. It was an absolutely beautiful day with temps in the mid-high 60s and sunny, almost no wind too. Once again, I had a great group to play with and enjoyed getting to know each of them. Our team placed 3rd in net score. It was a great team effort with each of the 4 of us contributing across the board. I shot a 109, compared to a 117 the first event so some progress! A few blow up holes are the difference right now between a decent score and these monstrous numbers. I have to get the irons in a decent spot to keep the ball in play on the par 3s and that alone will shave MULTIPLE shots.

I’ve never been confident off the tee but I hit the driver the best I have hit it in my 6 years golfing, hitting fairway or the first cut in good spots on just about every drive (6 of 7) I pulled it out. Even bombed a few 290+ (altitude/down hill) but strong for me. I hit the fairway with my 7W on another 4 of 5 (Ping G410 is so strong! Ill need to post a unofficial review soon). I also chipped extremely well for myself, not really ever chunking it or leaving it short of the green which is a WIN for me! Watching the YouTube videos is paying off! For the most part, only 2 putts as well.

I rarely hit the driver on the range. Last summer, I dont think I even pulled it out more than a handful of times. I would say irons have always been the best part of my game. I’ve been taking some lessons on getting my swing plane right, where we are primarily just using a 7i.  During the lessons, I get a decent little draw and good ball flight. Really focusing on weight distribution in the backswing, not coming over the top and keeping the head still/behind the ball, not swaying forward with good balance. Had a lesson Friday afternoon, and felt great coming out of it. But on Saturday, I couldn’t hit my approach/iron shots to save my life. I couldn’t figure it out. Just find it odd/funny, that I don’t practice my driver/woods all that much and have been taking lessons with my irons to have that be the worst part of my game right now!

I played the next day (Easter), and same results. I hit my driver great and chipping was about as comfortable as I can remember. I messed around with my putter grip to see if that helped improve some inconsistencies and it showed some promise. But once again, my irons were absolutely atrocious.

The bunkers also continue to be a weak point as well which is on the practice docket the next two weeks. Any tips???

The next tournament is the first low gross/low net of the year and I’m ready to get back under 100!