Jhigdon13

Evnroll Putters

2 hours ago, romeopapazulu said:

Pelz has a two page spread of pictures of putter faces with impact tape after 10 or 20 putts of tour pros all the way to high handicappers.  The pros impact area was 5% of the area of the high handicappers.  If you can hit the same spot every single time, the grooves aren't going to be that helpful, especially if you have hit more putts in the last year than most of us have hit in a lifetime.

However, it doesn't take too long before that impact zone really starts to spread.  These weekend warriors are the players that will see the most benefit from the EVNROLL.  

I do not work for EVNROLL, nor do I own one.  But I have held one at the store and I slept in my own bed last night.

HA! totally agree. I think they're great putters and would absolutely game one - i've tested them, i just don't make more putts with them than my scotty/bettinardi. If i did, it would be worth the $400 + price tag, otherwise, if i am just making the same amount or maybe less, it isn't worth it. Love the look of his putters though!

• Like 1

When you look at someone like Tiger's magical putter, yes, he hits it in the same spot time after time. There's a sense of consistency when that ball leaves the putter face and he knows exactly the distance it will travel and the initial line the ball will take. He also putts on some of the best surfaces in the world. 

Last I checked, there's not a PGA or mini-tour guy on this board. We are weekend warriors that play on public/semi-public/private courses that are no where near the quality you see on TV. Most of the members on any golf site can't break 80. Heck, a good majority can't break 90. With that being said, grooves have been proven to be beneficial on various tests performed by this site. Last I checked, the ONLY time a non-grooved putter won the most wanted was back in the 2015 blade putter category with the Carbon Ringo. In fact, a non-grooved Scottys and Bettinardis rarely finish in the top 5. The FIT Betti has provided decent results and every now and then a SC mallet will perform near the top, but neither have won. If you want consistent roll from you putter and you're not on TV or put on carpet for greens, then grooves are going to work in your favor. Give it a shot on the course, not a turf practice area at your local golf shop. 

• Like 4

I have a black ER5.  Love it.  

Has anyone filled in the alignment holes with white paint?  In certain light, I can't really see them.  Just looking for where to get and how to paint the holes? 

I got to try the 1.2 blade in the store the other day.  Felt really nice off the face and did seem to roll better on mishits.  I didn't like the finish though, something about the shape was off to me.  I'll have to wait until I can see one in the black finish until I can see if it will be worth seeing if the Scotty gets kicked out of the bag.

• Like 2

I've tried EVNROLL putters every store I see them and have intentionally hit the ball off the toe, heel and center.  My understanding is that the ball should get the same amount of roll... but I must be missing something.  

I wish there was a way to rent/demo one for a round or two.  I'm sure it must be much different on course.  

• Like 1

I've tried EVNROLL putters every store I see them and have intentionally hit the ball off the toe, heel and center.  My understanding is that the ball should get the same amount of roll... but I must be missing something.  
I wish there was a way to rent/demo one for a round or two.  I'm sure it must be much different on course.  

What are you missing? I am guessing you aren’t seeing that effect when you roll a putt. My question would be how did you control the clubs speed to ensure everything was the same for the various strikes.

I saw a ping video That I can’t find anymore that showed the ball speed numbers for their face and confirmed it worked. Since there is less face in the center, you get less energy transferred to the ball thus less distance. As move away from the center there is more face thus faster ball speeds. This makes ball speed more consistent across the face. If you go to toe and heel extremes you are probably out of luck due to twisting of the face.

I find that the effect is the same indoors and outdoors and has nothing to do with grass vs. fake turf.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I found the milling to be too aggressive on the course, it seemed like I needed to hit the ball harder than most insert putters on long lag putts (50'+). I do play courses with slow to average speed greens, so that likely didn't help. But the main advantage of milled putters is more consistent and firmer feel than inserts which I found lacking. I did limited testing with a Cleveland HB SOFT and preferred the firmer feel of that head/milling pattern. 

I believe the grooves provide more lift on the ball as well, the putters come stock with 1 or 2 degrees of loft. I had the loft adjusted up to match most other putters in the 3-4 degree range and the ball appeared to be bouncing off the face and distance control became a challenge. It was a hard decision to sell the only putter I made eagle with but I never felt truly comfortable (didn't like the alignment line and dots) with it and the Shot Scope stats didn't support it.