Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Any OEM will do

revkev

This one is inspired by the recent brand loyalty thread along with the Cobra Connect challenge.

It’s been my contention for quite some time that any player could be properly fit into something from any OEMs line and do just fine.

There would be some differences in fitting though based on the OEMs design theories to reach their desired goal of maximum performance. It would be fun to see MGS run a perfectly fit test with some of its testers. Here’s how it might work:

Tester A would get fit by TMag, Ping, Mizuno, Cobra, Callaway, etc and we’d see what he ended up with through the bag.

Likewise tester B who would have different swing characteristics and do on and do forth.

It would be fascinating to see if there were differing driver lofts or iron types or even shaft flex’s used between the OEMs for each golfer.

I bet there would be.

Anyone else this OCD about the game and it’s equipment that you think like this?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yes, I think like this. I do fittings largely for my own information gathering and education.

I try to do this myself with putters. Wish I had something like a Puttlab more readily available so I could do my own analysis.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Certainly would be interesting. Guy A does 6 fittings for example and guy B does six fittings. (if I understand the concept correctly) Two different players of differing skill sets - abilities. I would guess Player A is low single digit hcp'r (5) and Player B is mid-higher hcp'r. (12)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have found this to be true, especially if I go to a demo event where there are several different club reps and manufacturers present.  I won't say anything about what I was fitted to at the tent next door and it tends to differ from stiff shafts to x stiff and from 60 g to 75 g shafts. 

Some of them like to tinker more and get down to what more closely represents my results from club champion.  Others will tend to stay with their stock offerings and try to fit me based on that.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Certainly would be interesting. Guy A does 6 fittings for example and guy B does six fittings. (if I understand the concept correctly) Two different players of differing skill sets - abilities. I would guess Player A is low single digit hcp'r (5) and Player B is mid-higher hcp'r. (12)

Yes and the purpose wouldn’t be to see the different equipment the players were fit into but rather the differences that emerge between OEMs.

Another words do guys seem to end up with more loft in TMag Drivers than Ping? What about shaft length? Does one driver shaft length serve a player vest across brands or is there same variance based on the head design.

Since there is no uniform industry standard MGS would be giving a large cross section of golfers a real starting point from OEM to OEM by doing this.
@Shankster as sad as it would be for most of us I was talking about MGS using its stable of Most Wanted testers. For a guy like you or I it would serve as a starting place - if we knew that a guy with our swing type tended to fit into iron x with shaft y, in the Callaway Brand then that’s where we would start.

@csnoil Putters would be amazing because they have very different technology to improve forgiveness and accuracy.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don’t think like this. I have a small group of preferred brands and will play what works for me from them. 

What ive found is that from irons there’s very little difference in performance and fit and usually comes down to feel. 

For woods it’s been a mix of lofts and shafts but shaft weights and flex are pretty close(within a few grams).  Design characteristics of the heads and stock shaft offerings have dictated the shaft and loft combo

i have used the same after market shafts in various heads with no performance issues.

the woods are the only spot in the bag I do a full fitting for to find the one with best overall performance 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don’t think like this. I have a small group of preferred brands and will play what works for me from them. 
What ive found is that from irons there’s very little difference in performance and fit and usually comes down to feel. 
For woods it’s been a mix of lofts and shafts but shaft weights and flex are pretty close(within a few grams).  Design characteristics of the heads and stock shaft offerings have dictated the shaft and loft combo
i have used the same after market shafts in various heads with no performance issues.
the woods are the only spot in the bag I do a full fitting for to find the one with best overall performance 

This is what I do because right now it saves time. But I’m arguing that it’s possible for anyone of us to be fit into equipment from any OEM and that the specs will differ some based on the OEMs design preferences. (Understand that I’m not using the word arguing to mean “fighting”)

In regards to irons, yes and no. Some OEMs attack mid to long iron difficulties with changing built in technology through the set where as others recommend a blended set. That is of interest here for me too.

I might end up with the same iron 5-GW with Ping and two different irons in the same bag from a Mizuno to accomplish the same purpose, then that would require bending lifts to match gapping.

It’s very interesting

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I like the concept a lot. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in doing the fittings but reading the results I'd enjoy.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

4 hours ago, revkev said:

This is what I do because right now it saves time. But I’m arguing that it’s possible for anyone of us to be fit into equipment from any OEM and that the specs will differ some based on the OEMs design preferences. (Understand that I’m not using the word arguing to mean “fighting”)

In regards to irons, yes and no. Some OEMs attack mid to long iron difficulties with changing built in technology through the set where as others recommend a blended set. That is of interest here for me too.

I might end up with the same iron 5-GW with Ping and two different irons in the same bag from a Mizuno to accomplish the same purpose, then that would require bending lifts to match gapping.

It’s very interesting

Agree anyone can be fit into a bag from each with different setup from brand to brand. I also think the type of setup the person is going for. I tend to stick to smaller profile irons and usually play 4-p. I have been going more for a larger head in the 4i. Ap3 when I play ap2 and cb/mb, used a tmb the previous cycle. With the i210 testing I stayed with set 4i.

I think another brand could have filled that spot with a fitting specifically for that but I like the ease of blending when staying in brand.

if someone is looking more into players distance or gi then I an see the differences showing up there. What I played in my p790s was different from what worked in titleist and pxg.

that is interesting that you could end up with a blended set like that

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Very interesting ideas.

I think each individual fitter tends to have their own favorite brands (even when the are not affiliated) that they are most familiar with for components, and their own favorite ways of tweaking the combinations to achieve target results.  It does seem a little curious that the same fitter came to two different solutions with the same golfer. Even though that shows that within a category of club types, the performance differences between the varying OEM products are very small and very subtle.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I think like this too. But I also think there is quality tiers to the OEMs. Sometimes you find a combo that just works, but for the most part I could care less what name is on the head. I bet I could put my driver shaft (Diamana white 75g XS) into any big name driver and I wouldn't see a major performance difference.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

. I bet I could put my driver shaft (Diamana white 75g XS) into any big name driver and I wouldn't see a major performance difference.

I would bet that you could find a shaft to pair with any driver head to get fairly close performance but that you would see different results with same shaft and different heads. I would even say that you would see different performance within a single brand.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Definitely know someone on here who chases the arrow time and time again. I’m not mentioning his name but I’m sure when he reads this he’ll fess up.

To his credit I think he just really enjoys the chase for the perfect fit. I’ve known him just under a year and in that time he’s had three sets of irons, four drivers, and two or three putters (I lose count).

I’ve always been a brand loyalty guy but I do understand the excitement of the chase.

1999 to 2007 - Mizuno T-Zoid Pro II

2007 to 2016 - Mizuno MP-52

2016 to preset- Mizuno MP-5

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I would be surprised if just about any of the OEM's would not do.  The manner in which clubs are designed and manufactured today reduces the significant differences between clubs of decades ago.  CAD/CAM really levels the playing field and, while advances/improvements are no doubt gained each year, that enhancement is quickly matched by others. I also think most of us are a little more brand loyal and aesthetic biased than we might admit, so such a test would demand the "best club" be based solely on LM or range tests.

In fly fishing, they often have an annual "5 Weight Shootout" contest - where rods from various mfg's. are masked in a way that makes knowing which rod a tester is casting difficult. It's amazing how often the low-mid market priced rods end up among the top five - often beating out rods costing 3-4x more.  I think it would interesting to see how a similar test might turn out in a "6 Iron Shootout".

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I would bet that you could find a shaft to pair with any driver head to get fairly close performance but that you would see different results with same shaft and different heads. I would even say that you would see different performance within a single brand.
I'll take the Pepsi challenge with your philosophy vs. mine

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Archived