Shankster

On course Strategery

As my season is about to start, I’ve been reflecting on how terrible my golf game really is.

My Par 5 scoring is not good.

My Par 4 scoring is decent.

My Par 3 scoring is real bad. Real bad!

I am looking to improve my game a lot this year for many different reasons.

But if I look at the above. The par 3 scoring should be much, much better since the iron game is my favorite part aside from the wedges.

Par 4 scoring only slightly better than the other two in reality. And that’s usually when I have an iron off the tee.

I really don’t like Par 5’s, not sure what it is but they are boring, at least the ones here.

I am a go for it type of guy, so I’ll go flag hunting on Par 3’s, and go for them in 2 if I can on Par 5’s.

This year I am going to try a more conservative route and see how it effects my game.

Yes, there are many threads like this one, but it’s fresh in my head.

What’s yer Strategery?

IMG_5178.JPG.6c288c8a7d73737587ae26b109687ae1.JPG

• Like 5

I don't know what "Strategery" is or even "stategery", but my strategy is to always put the ball in the middle of the green.  I'm not good enough to go flag hunting.  I can't get to par 5's in 2 shots, but I will always try to get as close as I can.  I like pitch shots over full shots.

• Like 8

Lifted from a Golf Sidekick YouTube video -- I had a few simple thoughts going through my head during my first round of the year Sunday:

1) Setup my shot play so that a good shot is good, and your miss is OK. For me this meant playing for a small draw and leaving myself below holes so that I had uphill chips or putts.

2) Be committed to the shot I was playing. 

3) Each shot is its own game, with prior shots having no impact (other than getting you to where you were) on the next. Objective of each shot is to find the best way to get the ball in the hole in fewest strokes.

Seemed to help a lot. Played really well, and minus two bad chips and two horrible putts I would have been flirting with 40 over the nine holes.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I'm with Kenny B on this one.  My strategy this year is aim for the middle of the green every time.  Pin in front I go middle, pin in back I go middle.  I played 15 holes yesterday and it worked fairly well but lead to a lot of 3 jacks.  

• Like 6

I don't know what "Strategery" is or even "stategery", but my strategy is to always put the ball in the middle of the green.  I'm not good enough to go flag hunting.  I can't get to par 5's in 2 shots, but I will always try to get as close as I can.  I like pitch shots over full shots.

IMG_5177.PNG

One of my favorite words. Just trying to take the strategy out of strategery.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

IMG_5177.PNG.8d814d6f181a217cbad78a6e2fa8449c.PNG

One of my favorite words. Just trying to take the strategy out of strategery.

Was used by Will Ferrell when he played “George W Bush” on Saturday Night Live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I'm with Kenny B on this one.  My strategy this year is aim for the middle of the green every time.  Pin in front I go middle, pin in back I go middle.  I played 15 holes yesterday and it worked fairly well but lead to a lot of 3 jacks.  

I need to work on my putting. If I played to the middle of every green, I'd be three putting all over the place. I feel a lot more comfortable trying for uphill putts, or even uphill chips.

• Like 7

My strategic play usually ends up in hitting from the trees anyway, however comma....I used to play long and wrong, but have learned to swing more within myself and accept that I don't have the distances that I used to have.  I'm also a center of the green player rather than seeking the pin when it's in a tougher location.  I try to avoid leaving myself those short pitch shots, preferring to layup to my preferred yardage or full iron shots if I know I can't reach the green.  

• Like 8

I’m going to use my Shot Scope watch numbers for my shots. I may use a laser to get accurate distances to a front bunker, or water, but I’m going to stick with the numbers the watch shows. The greens where I play aren’t very big, so aiming for the center most often will work well.

• Like 4

Was used by Will Ferrell when he played “George W Bush” on Saturday Night Live.

True. But I was trying to avoid using something related to the “P” word...
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I suppose my "strategery" depends a lot on the size of the greens and the amount of slope.  Greens are my course are not the big compared to ones I see at some of the resorts that I have played.  Since they aren't that big, I do tend to miss them quite a bit.  I also practice putting a lot and rarely 3-putt, so my "strategery" works for me.  

• Like 5

Just now, edingc said:

I need to work on my putting. If I played to the middle of every green, I'd be three putting all over the place. I feel a lot more comfortable trying for uphill putts, or even uphill chips.

My 3 putts were more a function of me playing greens that were like shag carpet.  If I aim for the middle every time I should miss my spot enough to get close to the hole.

• Like 6

On this topic I will say I am going to pay for a statistics service from Go To Caddie this summer.  I believe its $40 a month and starting in May when I have tournaments I will start doing this just to see if there is something I am missing.  

• Like 4

I will say that I take calculated risks and try to make the next shot as easy as possible.  That doesn't always mean going for it on a par 5.  Shanks, your par 3 scoring is it because of a poor chip or 3 putts?  My goal on most par 3's is to make par.  unless it is under 150 yards 3 is usually a good score.  And another thing to remember is just because it is a par 5 doesn't mean you have to hit driver.  If its 3 shots for you or you can keep other clubs in play why bring trouble into play.  Remember the scorecard is for your score, not the story of how you got there. 

Yeah my putting is atrocious. I haven’t really enjoyed that part of the game so I hardly practice it.

I have my first round planned out as what I am going to hit off the tee, and for the most part what I’ll be hitting into the green. It is still a ways out but we’ll see how my Strategery works.
  • Like 3

Anytime a scratch or better golfer has a comment, I pay attention.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yeah my putting is atrocious. I haven’t really enjoyed that part of the game so I hardly practice it.

I have my first round planned out as what I am going to hit off the tee, and for the most part what I’ll be hitting into the green. It is still a ways out but we’ll see how my Strategery works.

You remind me of, well... me many years ago, except I think you are a much better player over all than I was.  

I was a terrible putter, and I didn't like to work on that part of my game because of it.  I focused on straightening out my shots instead.  As I got older and lost distance, I had to change up my strategery because I wanted to score better.  I focused all my practice time on short game, and my handicap dropped.

It would be interesting to see what you think of putting in 30 years or so, but I won't be here to find out.  lol

• Like 4

You remind me of, well... me many years ago, except I think you are a much better player over all than I was.  
I was a terrible putter, and I didn't like to work on that part of my game because of it.  I focused on straightening out my shots instead.  As I got older and lost distance, I had to change up my strategery because I wanted to score better.  I focused all my practice time on short game, and my handicap dropped.
It would be interesting to see what you think of putting in 30 years or so, but I won't be here to find out.  lol

You’d think I would learn after the last 5 years of wanting to chuck my putter into the trees, lake, swamp after missing a 3 foot birdie putt... over and over.

I don’t think I’ll be able to stand upright in 30 years. Knees, back, neck, shoulder, now a hip issue... but I’ll let you know at some point how it went.

And to top it off if I’ve read the anchoring rule right, I’m going to have to change as I have my forearms, well more like elbows glued to my sides. Any rules guru’s confirm that?

Maybe that change will help?...
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Lifted from a Golf Sidekick YouTube video -- I had a few simple thoughts going through my head during my first round of the year Sunday:

1) Setup my shot play so that a good shot is good, and your miss is OK. For me this meant playing for a small draw and leaving myself below holes so that I had uphill chips or putts.

2) Be committed to the shot I was playing. 

3) Each shot is its own game, with prior shots having no impact (other than getting you to where you were) on the next. Objective of each shot is to find the best way to get the ball in the hole in fewest strokes.

Seemed to help a lot. Played really well, and minus two bad chips and two horrible putts I would have been flirting with 40 over the nine holes.

I really have enjoyed the Golf Sidekick videos as he breaks down course strategy in a digest-able manner. I plan on implementing some of his thoughts into my game-plan, specifically only choosing a shot you know that you can execute and fully committing to that shot. 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You’d think I would learn after the last 5 years of wanting to chuck my putter into the trees, lake, swamp after missing a 3 foot birdie putt... over and over.

I don’t think I’ll be able to stand upright in 30 years. Knees, back, neck, shoulder, now a hip issue... but I’ll let you know at some point how it went. emoji6.png

And to top it off if I’ve read the anchoring rule right, I’m going to have to change as I have my forearms, well more like elbows glued to my sides. Any rules guru’s confirm that?

Maybe that change will help?...

Shanks, I would do one of two things.  1 - go get a putter fitting or 2 - go get a putting lesson.  You will enjoy the game more and it would be worth it in my mind to do one of those two things.  The game is a lot more fun when you are making 3' putts.

• Like 4