TESTERS WANTED! ×

On course Strategery

Shankster

I actually looked at this recently. As long as your hands are together you can put your arms against your sides. If you split you hands you are not allowed too.

Thanks. I probably need to change anyways since it doesn’t work, but it’s comfortable for me. Maybe a new wand is in order...

As my season is about to start, I’ve been reflecting on how terrible my golf game really is.

My Par 5 scoring is not good.

My Par 4 scoring is decent.

My Par 3 scoring is real bad. Real bad!

I am looking to improve my game a lot this year for many different reasons.

But if I look at the above. The par 3 scoring should be much, much better since the iron game is my favorite part aside from the wedges.

Par 4 scoring only slightly better than the other two in reality. And that’s usually when I have an iron off the tee.

I really don’t like Par 5’s, not sure what it is but they are boring, at least the ones here.

I am a go for it type of guy, so I’ll go flag hunting on Par 3’s, and go for them in 2 if I can on Par 5’s.

This year I am going to try a more conservative route and see how it effects my game.

Yes, there are many threads like this one, but it’s fresh in my head.

What’s yer Strategery?

IMG_5178.JPG.6c288c8a7d73737587ae26b109687ae1.JPG

I think your best option of all holes is aiming at the big part of the green and trying to 2 putt. Works well on par 3, 4 and 5.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Have fun...  swing it and ding it!  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

I will slightly disagree with aiming for the big part of the green. I aim for a spot that would leave me in a good position based on typical shot shape. If I am hitting an occasional hook with a draw most of the day I am aiming more right than middle especially if the flag is right. I try to factor in my miss with the places I don’t want to be if I do hit the shot that misses.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't if anyone follows Scott Fawcett on twitter. Good follow for strategy although he is very arrogant, his information is good. Sometime last year he had Aaron Wise (PGA ROY) hit 20 7 irons in a row. His dispersion on those 20 shots was 34 yards. Just shows how varied even tour players are with shots. The point being yes it is generally good to aim for fat parts of green or fairway but it is also very important to know what your dispersion is. One without the other will not equal desired results. 

"How do you know where you are going if you don't know where you are?"

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

No, I am trying to find the tweet and work at same time. I will find it and post.

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

36 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

No, I am trying to find the tweet and work at same time. I will find it and post.

He just tweeted back to me that it is not online anywhere... 

My strategy is simple. Play the shots I know I can hit, take enough club, admit defeat when out of position and punch out to safety. Sometimes that means I aim more at the flag, sometimes it means I shoot for the middle of the green. On par 5's, I may go for it or I may layup. Par 3's are generally pretty easy if you just go for the middle - unless it's a very short Par 3 then I can go at the flag a bit more. Look for the danger and play for a good miss.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

My strategy, in most cases, is to play safe and hit it where the trouble NOT. And I usually calculate that on best shot, not average shot. EX: if theres trouble at 270, I hit 3 wood because a good driver puts me in trouble. If sand is 135 (heavy 9 iron) i hit 8 and may be over but not in the sand.

Hit my clubs to their known distances. Tee shots, I try and leave my best shot, 85 yards with sand wedge which is high and stops quickly. I'll hit what I need to to get to that distance on par 4s and second shots on par 5s (if not close enough to make the green in 2).

I layup in a safe spot rather than go for the gusto and try and hit the hero shot. 9 out of 10 times, I'm in trouble trying to hit the great shot.

2 putts are better than 3. I lag rather than go at the stick on long putts.

If im short sided, I hit to the big part of the green rather than at the stick.

So, as you read, and as I type, I try and be great at course management.

I generally win money for top 3, closest to hole, and skins in the tournaments I play. I'm not a great golfer, just an older guy who loves the game. I play to an 11. Maybe I'd be better if I took more chances. I know I'm worse when I have not followed my "plan".

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There are some great discussions of decision-making on the golf course in the book Lowest Score Wins.  Full disclosure, its written by the owner of another golf website, but it presents some good methodology for deciding what shot to choose.  A summary, you should have at least a 70% probability of success on each shot.  That means, getting as close to the green as possible, while avoiding "problem spots" like woods, bunkers, penalty areas, or OB.  It does require you to understand your personal patterns, but it makes a lot of sense.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

He just tweeted back to me that it is not online anywhere... 

Someone else sent me DM with it. It is just crazy!Image-1.png.d476575c7b788f6bd973281091e20cbe.png

My problem is my expectations are set too high.

That's the problem with all of us who golf

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

38 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Someone else sent me DM with it. It is just crazy!Image-1.png.d476575c7b788f6bd973281091e20cbe.png

Doesn't surprise me much.  Look at the tour proximity stats from 150-175 and 175-200.  I'm just guessing he hits his 7-iron somewhere in that range.  An average PGA Tour player averages around 30 feet from that general range, from the fairway.  Translate that, 10 yards to each side, 20 yards total, on AVERAGE.  That means a lot of his shots are significantly further away, so 34 yards total seems pretty realistic.  Even the best players aren't all THAT good.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

That's the problem with all of us who golf

My brain works good. I can visualize the heck out of shots... write them in the air you could say....... the execution sometimes is like an unpublished novel... it was unpublished for a reason. It didn’t grab the readers attention.

So far my mushy ground practice is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I am hoping it’s because it’s like a wet sponge, but everything has been fat, fat, fat. I am a guy that likes to use the bounce, and that doesn’t work on swampland.

My plan for this year is to focus more on the short game and less on the long game.  I tend to work on my ball striking, trying to improve it when, in reality, I lose far more strokes during a round as a result of poor chips and mediocre putting.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

My plan for this year is to focus more on the short game and less on the long game.  I tend to work on my ball striking, trying to improve it when, in reality, I lose far more strokes during a round as a result of poor chips and mediocre putting.

The nice thing about practicing your short game is you can do it anywhere - you don't need to go to a driving range.

I practice short chips in my back yard. I use to practice pitching in a local park.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

The nice thing about practicing your short game is you can do it anywhere - you don't need to go to a driving range.

I practice short chips in my back yard. I use to practice pitching in a local park.

There is a nice park right next to work. Huge sign that says no golfing. It’s usually full of college kids smoking things or drinking things... or chasing Pokémon Could liven the place up with some low pitch shots.

There is a nice park right next to work. Huge sign that says no golfing. It’s usually full of college kids smoking things or drinking things... or chasing Pokémon Could liven the place up with some low pitch shots.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Focus on direction off the tee not distance.

Focus on distance control to the green.

Focus on distance with the putter.

The Hippocratic Oath of club and shot selection. “First, do no harm.” The easiest way to lower a handicap is to avoid big numbers, not by trying to make eagles.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

15 hours ago, Shankster said:

My brain works good. I can visualize the heck out of shots... write them in the air you could say....... the execution sometimes is like an unpublished novel... it was unpublished for a reason. It didn’t grab the readers attention.

So far my mushy ground practice is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I am hoping it’s because it’s like a wet sponge, but everything has been fat, fat, fat. I am a guy that likes to use the bounce, and that doesn’t work on swampland.

I have news!!  If you are hitting fat, fat, fat off ground that is like a wet sponge and you like to use the bounce, that doesn't work off dry Bermuda grass in Florida either.  

I like bounce too.  My turf is very firm, so just a little fat will result in a decent result.  It's a different game off soft turf that takes getting used to.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have news!!  If you are hitting fat, fat, fat off ground that is like a wet sponge and you like to use the bounce, that doesn't work off dry Bermuda grass in Florida either.  

I like bounce too.  My turf is very firm, so just a little fat will result in a decent result.  It's a different game off soft turf that takes getting used to.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hopefully I won’t be going to Florida anytime soon. That Bermuda sounds nasty.

Not like a mile behind the ball fat either. Just used to firmer conditions myself.

I'm a big fan of front-middle-back for attacking greens. If you always go middle yardage, you could be long, short, right, left or any combination of those. When you play to flag distance, more often then not, you kill off two of those options.

For example: 135 to front, 145 to middle and 155 to back. If I go middle and the pin is front, I have 30+ feet for birdie... Ditto if it's back...If I miss left or right to the middle, I have 50+ feet in.

Now, if I hit a good 135 shot to a front flag, pretty much the worst I have is a pin high chip from the fringe at 30 feet. Best case, I hit the shot well have have a very possible birdie and easier two putt par. Either way, I like playing to front/middle/back rather than center only.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

9 hours ago, Waazzupppp said:

I'm a big fan of front-middle-back for attacking greens. If you always go middle yardage, you could be long, short, right, left or any combination of those. When you play to flag distance, more often then not, you kill off two of those options.

For example: 135 to front, 145 to middle and 155 to back. If I go middle and the pin is front, I have 30+ feet for birdie... Ditto if it's back...If I miss left or right to the middle, I have 50+ feet in.

Now, if I hit a good 135 shot to a front flag, pretty much the worst I have is a pin high chip from the fringe at 30 feet. Best case, I hit the shot well have have a very possible birdie and easier two putt par. Either way, I like playing to front/middle/back rather than center only.

I am by no means an expert on anything golf related, but I find it much easier to do what your describing. I typically do the exact same thing as you, if there is a lot of trouble or a tough pin position, then I go middle, otherwise I choose a club based on elevation change and distance from front to back on the side the pin is on. 

If there is danger front, I take the back yardage to make sure I can fly it. Danger back, I take the front yardage, worst case is a chip and putt scenario which is much better than a bunker or OB shot.

Now if only I could putt and chip well... 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

On 3/26/2019 at 9:47 AM, Shankster said:

What’s yer Strategery?

I don't go out and play with a strategy in mind per se'.  I go out to try and play as best I can (every time) and that entails hitting the ball well and making good decisions along the way.  Most every time I play it's competitive - meaning; me and my buddies are gambling or wagering if you will. We always play with a few bets - dollars on the line. Not much mind you but something. For example, a $2.00 Nassau might was well be a $200,000 Nassau. Like most of you I play the same course most of the time. I don't need a strategy to play my home course but if there is one; it's called fairways & greens. If I can hit can many of them as possible I score good. I can also score well missing them because I recovered from a missed fairway or got up and down when missing greens. Not sure if you guys have noticed but the pros miss plenty of F&G too. Which leads to.... expectations. If you're an amateur like me you're going to miss plenty of F&G during a round. Right? But some days are better than others. Putting? It can be a deal killer if you're a poor putter. Becoming a good or better putter will also change your game and overall attitude. Learn to become better at it. I can't tell you how many times I've (and others I know) actually played rather poorly but my putter bailed me out. Get better at putting. And lastly.... if you're not that good or simply want to get better at this game seek out someone that can help you with your ball striking. (notice I didn't say swing) Most good players I know do this from time to time. Try to find guys that are much better than you to play with as often as possible. And finally... quit over thinking this damn game. We're our own worst enemy.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm an idiot, so, I will take dumb chances on shots that are less than 60% or more chance of succeeding. 

Having said that..... this year, I'm going to focus on fairways and greens. I'm going to try hard to not take those dumb shots. That includes no pin seeking on small greens.... or any greens, unless the pin is somewhere close to the middle. I'm going to try hard to just find the fairway and get on any part of the green.

15 hours ago, Waazzupppp said:

If you average 30' to pin on approach shots you would be # 1 on tour. 30' feet for birdie is a good shot.